Chapter VI

The last queen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Important author note down below.

 

The road extended before us like a carpet, embraced by palm trees and wooden benches from both sides. The cool summer breeze and the salty fragrance of the ocean trickled into the car through the open windows and I felt my body relax into the seat and my mind drift as I stared at the beautiful scenery. I was thankful that Kiseop didn’t try to engage in meaningless small talk and I found the silence that engulfed us to be comfortable. About thirty minutes later, Kiseop swerved the car off the road, driving through a dusty unmarked path. The opening was small, hidden between palm trees and very easy to miss if you didn’t know what you were looking for, and I began to wonder how many secret passageways this island hides.

“Should I be concerned?” I gave him a sly smile, trying to hide the fact that I was already starting to freak out. 
“Relax, I’m not going to kidnap you… yet.” He winked at me, his usual smirk never leaving his face.
About two more minutes the path Opened up, the once bumpy dirt road turning smoother. Beyond the palm trees the shimmering sea greeted us, crystal clear and inviting. But beyond the sea and the sun and the trees and the gorgeous nature that seems to be the main characteristic of this magical island, beyond all of that, stood a formidable glass building, glowing as the rays of light hit it from every direction. Inside I could make out tables and chairs, suggesting that this is where we were having lunch, and outside, giving off their own spark, huge glass letters stood on top of the building spelling out the word ‘VASEILIA’. 
“Let’s go.” Kiseop said once he opened my door, and I realized that I was so entranced by the view that I didn’t even know he was out of the car. I stepped outside, trying my best to hold in a gasp, and took a closer look at this place. Right in front of the door stood two tall beasts of men –all in black- looking stiff as statues. But once Kiseop showed up behind me, they quickly dispersed, making way for us to go in. 
“Welcome your highness.” They said in unison and I couldn’t help but shiver. I knew that Kiseop was a prince, but the information didn’t truly sink in until now. To see other people treat him like royalty, calling him your highness and bowing as he walked by made me unsure of how I should act when I’m around him. 
“Don’t let it get to your head.” Kiseop spoke up, as if reading my thoughts. “It’s all for show. Come on in, you’re going to love the food here.” 
 Inside, needless to say that the restaurant was just as magical. 
The sunlight shone through the glass walls, bouncing off the crystal chandeliers and forming tiny sparkles all around the guests. Everything was engulfed in a hue of white and gold. The tables, chairs and counters were made of a marble like material, smooth and shiny. And when you look closer you can see small golden drawings on every surface, catching the sunlight at different instances. The staff was in formal black and white attire, all smiles and bows as they navigated their way through the tables, trays of foods and drinks in their hands. As for the restaurant goers, they were a sight to behold. During my time here on the island, I have noticed that mystics do care about appearances, so they tend to look well put together and fashionable at all times. But the people in this restaurant were on a whole other level. Men in black expensive suits, snakeskin dress shoes, and some older men were even wearing top hats. The women were just as extravagant. Silk dresses, diamond earrings and necklaces, designer bags with tiny chiwawas to match and fur coats –even though it was around 85 degrees- and high heels that made me dizzy just by looking at them. It was clear that these guests were all of the royal kind, and it was also very clear that I – with my ripped jeans and black lacey shirt – did not belong here. 
“Your highness, it’s nice to see you here again.” A man in his early forties who looked like a butler from a black and white movie greeted Kiseop , bowing slightly. 
“Thank you Francis.” Kiseop responded, smiling coolly at the man.
“Your table is ready your highness. Would you be ordering your usual or should I fetch you the menu this time?” Francis spoke again, this time focusing on me. He seized me up and down; no doubt judging my casual attire, then looked back at Kiseop. 
“Send us two menus and a bottle of Chateau Lafite 1865.” 
“Certainly, your highness.” Another bow. 
“Shall we?” Kiseop turned to me, gesturing to follow the butler who whispered a few words to one of the waiters and proceeded to lead us to our table. 
We climbed a few stairs and went through a white sheer curtain which led to the second floor. Just as full as the first, I began to wonder as I looked around if these royals had nothing to do all day but dress up and go to fancy expensive restaurants. That was probably the case but for some re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter