Chapter VIII

The last queen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

make sure to read the author's note down below.

The main office was once again buzzing as students lined up in front of four rooms to get their schedules. The scene wasn’t messy as - much like in the conference hall- the students were divided by seniority, each class lined up in front of their designated office to get their necessary documents. But just because mystics were awfully organized doesn’t mean they weren’t like your typical teenagers. Flirting, gossiping, whispering and laughing, these magical creatures suddenly looked like they belonged in a high school movie. I stood in line, silent as usual, observing the behavior of my fellow students. To be honest I wasn’t that interested in what the juniors were gossiping about, nor did I find the sophomore girls flirting with the senior boys a fascinating scene to watch, but I needed a distraction of any sort. My mind was spiraling out of control and my friends’ silence made matters even worse. Nobody spoke a word as we made it out of the conference hall, and my tears seemed to stop only when we came into the main office, as my brain was no doubt trying to protect me from another wave of unnecessary and unexplainable gossip. Heads down, eyes teary, my friends looked like they came straight out of a funeral and I wasn’t feeling any better. Most of all I was surprised with my reaction. I had absolutely no reason to cry or feel this dejected, but somehow the feeling of pain and agony didn’t go away. My heart was torn to pieces and I had no idea why. I didn’t know Chanyeol, sure we talked for a brief moment at the ball, and sure he was nice and charming and I wished his girlfriend never showed up and that we would have talked more, but that was in no way an explanation for what happened today. The pain, the tears, the shock, Chanyeol had looked like he was just stabbed in the heart and for some reason that made me want to cry again. I swallowed back the lump in my throat, determined not to cry in a room full of mystics who already had enough gossip to spread about me. I was torn, shocked but most of all confused. I thought Kira and Rose were my friends but every time I ask them a question about the weird stuff that keep happening around me they either find a way to change the subject or flat out ignore me. Who was this Ahri that everyone keeps mistaking me for her? Where was she? And why was everyone so determined to never speak of her? My confusion slowly turned into anger and that anger turned into determination, I had enough secrets for one lifetime and I wasn’t to go on with this school year without clear answers to my questions. The line seemed to move at a painfully slow pace. How hard was it to give out these damn schedules anyway? For annoyingly perfect creatures, this task seemed too complicated for the mystics of Lixierra high and that got on my very last nerve. I clenched my fists, digging my fingernails into my palms in an attempt to control the sudden wave of anger that took over my entire body. I tapped my foot on the floor loudly and groaned, counting the seconds until I got out of here.

“Are you alright?” Rose, standing behind me in line, my back.

“Fine.” I snapped, louder than I meant to and immediately regretted it as a few heads turned to give me quizzical looks.

“I just want to get out of here already.” I continued, lowering my voice.

“Me too.” Rose gave me a sympathetic look, no doubt picking on my hostility. “It’ll be over soon.”

“Not soon enough.” I unclenched my fists, wiping the blood out of my palms.

After what seemed like forever and a half, Kira, Rose, Gabriella and I finally had our schedules. I pretended to read mine, avoiding whatever conversation the girls were engrossed in. Truthfully I wasn’t able to read a word out of that thing, so I folded it and shoved in my pocket, making a mental note to check it out carefully later. I looked up as we got out of the office, following the girls who seemed determined to carry out the lunch plans we made this morning. In my mind, this morning seemed like ages ago and I wasn’t so enthusiastic about going to lunch at Joe’s, but the restaurant was cozy and quiet and it would be hard for Rose and Kira to ignore me there so I followed along, determined to get to the bottom of this mess. The sound of footsteps rushing behind me pulled me out of my messy mind and I looked back to investigate.

“Babe, what’s wrong?” a familiar, obnoxious voice spoke behind me and I immediately regretted ever turning back. The voice belonged to Hyuna, who was scurrying to catch up with the person behind my inexplicable heartache.

“Talk to me!” Hyuna whined again, her high heels clacking against the stone ground. In front of her, Chanyeol seems unraveled. His eyes were bloodshot and his lips were quivering. His face looked pale, like he was sick and his hand shacked as he ran it through his black hair. Once again, I froze in my spot as I saw him, my legs disobeying my mind that was practically yelling for me to move, to get out of here before we cause another scene. Just like me, Chanyeol came to a sudden halt when he saw me, his eyes widening once again. Flashbacks of this morning ran through my mind as we stood there staring at each other.

What was it about him that made me lose control of my mind and body? A loud gasp echoed through the quad and I snapped out of my frozen state. Next to Chanyeol, Hyuna looked even more stunned than both of us. She put her hand on and staggered back, reaching out to hold her boyfriend as if she was afraid that he was going to run away. A pang of jealousy ran through me as I stared at the way she held him, lacing her free arm through his. I wanted more than anything to look away, to walk away and never look back, to spare myself this pain I could not place nor understand but my muscles wouldn’t budge. Thankfully my misery came to a stop when Chanyeol, untangling himself from Hyuna, gave me one last look and walked away. I exhaled, unaware of how long I was holding my breath and looked at my friends, who just like this morning, were in a daze. None of them said anything as they looked at Chanyeol, sympathy clear in their eyes. I started to move, heading towards the girls, when I noticed that Hyuna was still staring at me. The blonde looked terrified, which was confusing. Was she scared of me? So far I got confusion, shock, tears, but she looked utterly petrified. What the hell was wrong with her? Suddenly, and for no apparent reason at all, all of my confusion and fear turned into anger, anger directed specifically towards Hyuna. I hated her so much and I had no idea why. Maybe it was because she wouldn’t stop staring at me like I was a freak of nature, or maybe because she was a total to me, or maybe because she was Chanyeol’s girlfriend. I honestly didn’t care at all to interpret the reasons for this sudden outburst of negative feelings, all I knew was that I hated Hyuna.

“WHAT?” I yelled. All of a sudden my anxiety, my stress and my confusion all disappeared into thin air. There was nothing but anger in me. Hyuna flinched, clearly taken aback by my outburst, but said nothing. She took a few steps back, still looking at me like I was a demon from hell, and took off. She was walking so fast, practically running away from me, and I fought the urge to run after her and give her a pie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter