Chapter XIII

The last queen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     Soon after King Ajay’s declaration of war, the meeting was adjourned. It was a transparent attempt to dissolve the chaos that started spreading in the conference hall. The attendees –the wealthy families with power and rank in the mystic world- had found the decision to train the seniors for war horrid, especially since most of them had children in the final classes of Lixierra high. Kira, Rose and I slipped out of the back door as soon as Queen Eunji announced the ending of the royal meeting, breathing a sigh of relief that no one noticed our presence. We waited in the shadows until the royal families left the hall, and when my parents found us and told us that the royals were requesting to see their children before they leave Kira and Rose headed back to the main building.

My parents were livid. They were in the middle of a heated argument about King Ajay’s ‘foolish declaration’ and his ‘selfish demeanor’ when I spotted Kiseop and his friends coming out of the hall. King Kyujong and Queen Haneul stood with them for a while, surrounded by their guards as they hugged their son and left for the main building soon after. As Kiseop hung back to talk to his friends, I saw an opportunity to escape my parents’ aggravated mood.

“I’ll be back in a second.” I said over my shoulder and made my way to the little group, ignoring my parents’ protests.

“Lilith.” Kiseop smiled as he saw me, interrupting whatever his blond friend was saying.

“Kiseop.” I smiled back. “What you did back there was impressive. Standing up to his royal has got to be one of your finest moments.”

“I don’t know about that,” He smirked, “I have been known to have quite a lot of fine moments.” He ran a hand through his locks, pushing the hair that fell down his face away. “I didn’t know you were attending the meeting. I didn’t see you there.”

“I didn’t want to be seen.” I said nonchalantly. “Aren’t you going to introduce us?” I asked as I noticed the awkward smiles plastered on his friends’ faces.

“Of course. Lilith, this is Kevin,” He nodded towards a brown haired boy with doe eyes and a bright smile. “And this is Eli.” The blond one shook my hand, his rosy cheeks brightening his pale face.

“Nice to meet you both!” I said cheerfully.

“Nice to meet you.” They said in unison.

“So Lilith, how do you like Lixierra so far?” Kevin asked.

“Well, I’ve only been here for less than a month and I’ve already antagonized the school’s queen bee, got my handed to me in martial arts classes, and been attacked by dark creatures from the underworld. I’d say I’m having a marvelous time.” I couldn’t keep the sarcasm out of my tone and the three boys chuckled.

“There is no dull day here in Lixierra.” Eli said and I scoffed.

“Well, we have to get going Kiseop; we’re still needed in the main building.” Kevin let out with a sigh.

“You guys go ahead; I’ll catch up in a second.” Kiseop responded.

Kevin and Eli obliged, waving at me as they left.

“What are you doing later tonight?” Kiseop asked me as soon as his friends were out of earshot.

“Err, nothing.” I gave him a quizzical look.

“Meet me down by the lake at midnight.” He whispered as he took a step closer to me.

“Sure.” I said after a moment of silence and he nodded in satisfaction. Another step closer, he planted a soft kiss on my cheek and smiled before hurrying to join his friends and I hoped that he hadn’t noticed the sudden flush that invaded my face.

 

Back in my room once again, I laid down on my bed and recounted the events of the day. Kira and Rose were still with their parents at the main building and my parents were called to join the royals as well, so I headed back home thankful to be alone and have time to clear my head. I had pulled my father to the side before he had to leave to join my mother and the royals and I had asked him about the conversation he had with Mr. Blackthorn that morning. His reaction had been disappointing but expected. Just like my mother when I had told her about the Grim ones, my father had tensed at the mention of his conversation and had told me that he had simply been asking about my progress in my magic classes. I had smiled tightly and left, my mind reeling with questions and accusations. Now as I stared at my ceiling in the dark room, it felt as if my thoughts were flashing by so fast that I could lose my mind. The voices in my head were louder than ever, each voice expressing a darker thought than the last. ‘Maybe you heard wrong.’ ‘You lost your memory not your hearing Lilith. You heard them loud and clear, they were talking about you.’ ‘But why would they lie? Why would they keep secrets from you?’ ‘Your paranoia will be the death of you’. ‘You’re not paranoid, trust your guts.’ ‘You know something is wrong.’ ‘They kept the fact that you were a mystic from you for two years, and when you found out they sent you to a school of powerful magical beings without any preparations.’ ‘Did they know you looked exactly like the dead queen?’ ‘Ahri.’ ‘Of course they knew, but they kept that from you too. God knows what else they’re hiding.’ I turned around to lay on my side, shaking my head as if to clear it. ‘The meeting was no help either.’ ‘It seems the royals can’t get along, let alone save the kingdoms.’ ‘King Ajay sounded like a selfish bastard. And what did he mean by the battle of the second semester?’ ‘How come they made no progress with the investigation of Ahri’s murder? She’s been dead for two years.’ I sighed audibly, frustrated with my own mind. I had more questions now after that meeting than this morning and it seemed as if every day I spend here at Lixierra brings with it a load of new questions and I end up more confused than ever. ‘Midnight.’ I glanced at the clock at my bedside table and my heart jumped. It was 10 pm, only two hours before I had to meet Kiseop at the lake. ‘Excited for your date?’ ‘It’s not a date.’ ‘Meeting at midnight, by the lake, a romantic setting, a kiss on the cheek. Yeah it’s not a date.’ God, even the voices in my head were sarcastic. Kiseop and I had spent some time together before and I had enjoyed his company. He was handsome, charming, sweet, interesting and royal. He was perfect, and yet… ‘Chanyeol.’ The voice whispered to me and my heart clenched against my rib cage. Chanyeol and I were barely friends. We have spoken once so far not to mention that he had a girlfriend, one that hated my guts for no reason other than the resemblance I shared with Chanyeol’s dead ex girlfriend. So why was it that every time I saw him my heart jumped and when he smiled at me this morning I had never felt happier? ‘You obviously like him.’

‘I don’t know him.’

‘You don’t know Kiseop either.’

‘I know him better than I know Chanyeol.’

‘So go see him tonight.’

‘I’m scared.’

‘Scared you will like him?’

The sound of the front door shutting silenced the loud chatter in my head and I was grateful I didn’t have to think of an answer for that last question. I left my room and headed down the stairs where I found Kira and Rose spread across the sofas in the living room. They perked up as they saw me.

“Hey.” Rose started. “I thought you were staying with your parents tonight.”

“They’re leaving tonight actually. We’ve already said our goodbyes.”

“So are the royals.” Kira sighed.

“Not a second too soon.” Rose whispered.

“What happened after I left?”

“They assigned a dozen or so of the royal guards to stay behind. They are sending more tomorrow morning. Each kingdom will be sending 20 highly trained soldiers to protect the school.”

“And the island?” <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter