Chapter IV

The last queen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was 7pm when we made it back to the house. I was beginning to feel nervous and excited at the same time, the idea of attending my first formal event at Lixierra High finally becoming a reality. I was beyond grateful that the event was a masquerade, finding relief in the fact that my face will be hidden under a mask, my identity obscured for the time being. Kira opened the front door and as we walked in, we found a golden envelop on the table next to the door. She explained that it was probably delivered by the school staff and that they have keys to all the houses for cleaning, delivery and security matters. I brushed that information aside as I picked up the envelop, noticing that it had my name written in fiery red, and upon opening it I realized it was my formal invitation to this evening’s masquerade. How convenient.

“Well" Rose said as she looked over my shoulder at the letter, "now you don’t have any excuse not to go.” She nudged me with a smile, urging me up the stairs to get ready.

Once I was in my room, I hung the dress up against the closet’s mirror, admiring its beauty once again. I fetched the mask out of its bag and put it carefully on the bed, feeling grateful for it once more. From the other room I could hear Rose squealing as she found that her dress had arrived while we were out. I opened my suitcase and dug around for my makeup bag, setting it on the bed too once I found it. I remembered Kira’s offer to do my makeup earlier today and I smirked, realizing that she probably thought I didn’t know how to apply any because of my fresh face today. In reality, I enjoyed dressing up and trying out different looks mainly because my mother was passionate about it too. She would come into my room whenever she had some free time, her luxurious makeup bag in hand, and we would sit in front of the mirror, talking and laughing while applying different shades of lipstick and eyeshadow. I treasured those moments with my mom and so I made sure that whenever I had time, I would look up makeup tutorials online and learn how to achieve different looks to impress her. Eventually I became good enough that she would ask me to do her makeup whenever she had an event to attend. “Why would I waste money on a makeup artist when I have a great one here at home?” she would say. I got my fancy products out of the bag, ready to make my mother proud and to put my skills on display. Granted I was going to keep my mask on all night, but I would feel more confident, and that was reason enough for me.

About an hour later, the girls and I gathered at the living room, finally ready to go to the ball. I beamed at the sight of Rose and Kira posing, each one of them taking the perfect picture of the other. Kira was wearing a long silver dress that floated around her like a cloud. Its top was see-through and made of lace, covered in beautiful swirly patterns all the way from the neck to the long sleeves. The bottom was slightly darker heavy satin, with snowflakes sewn to perfection all over it. Her blue hair was tied in two braids forming a crown around her head, little sparkly pins embellishing it. In her hand she held an ice blue lace mask with tones of silver all around the edges, and I grinned as I recalled what I thought when I first saw her this morning. She truly was a fairy. As for Rose, she wore a gorgeous white sari. The top was sleeveless and covered in hints of gold glitter. The bottom of the skirt was covered in golden roses, shimmering under the lights. Her long black hair was draped proudly over her shoulder, and the contrast between her light gown and her dark hair made her look heavenly. Her mask was set on the table behind her, and keeping to the gold theme, it was a laser cut mask with patterns of golden roses. My friends were beautiful.

“Oh my, Lilith! You look fantastic!” Rose exclaimed as she saw me, her bright smile never leaving her face.

“Not nearly as breathtaking as you look.” I replied.”You both look incredible.”

“That dress was truly made for you!” Kira nodded in approval, “and I see now why you rejected my offer to do your makeup"she continued as she stepped closer to me, "you have some incredible talent my friend.”

“Thank you!” I let out in satisfaction.. “Shall we go then? We don’t want to be late.”

“Oh it never hurts to be fashionably late my dear." Kira smirked. "Besides we can’t possibly leave without taking a picture of us together looking all glamorous.” She grabbed her phone and ushered for me and Rose to join her.

“I have a better idea!” I smiled at the girls. “I’ll be right back.” I headed back up the stairs to my room and rummaged through my backpack. When I found what I was looking for I hurried back to the girls who were waiting around, a puzzled look on their faces.

“A Polaroid camera?” Kira asked the moment she saw the baby blue camera I was carrying.

“A selfie is good and all, but I find Polaroid pictures to be unique. Also they are a little harder to misplace than cellphones and I’m trying to avoid any accidents.” I swallowed as I remembered the fire I started back home.

“Alright then, let’s immortalize this moment.” Rose cheered, squeezing between Kira and me and smiling for the camera. Seconds later we huddled around the picture and watched as the details came slowly into focus. Bright smiles, sparkling gowns and excited eyes stared back at us from thet tiny picture and the three of us sighed in satisfaction.

 

 

 

 

The distant humming of music reached my ears before I could spot the ballroom. We walked for a little over five minutes, the sound of our heels on the stone paths masked by our loud laughter. Dozens of students walked by in their fancy tuxedos and shimmering dresses, creating a rainbow of colors under the bright moonlight. Halfway through however, I noticed the nudging and whispering that took place this morning when I first got to school resume. Girls and boys alike would stare at me for long periods of times, confusion and shock clear on most of their faces. I was beginning to feel anxious all over again, wondering what was so wrong with me that it would elicit such reaction from the students here at Lixierra. But soon enough I pushed all those thoughts and questions aside. Here I was, on my first day at a new school, heading to a masquerade in a gorgeous dress and two new friends that were nice enough to take me in so soon. Why would I let high school gossip ruin my night? Determined to have a great time, I put the mask I was holding in my hand over my eyes. If I couldn’t avoid gossip, I could avoid being recognized at least for now.

At last, the ballroom came into view and a small gasp escaped my lips. Like everything else at Lixierra, the building was exquisitely large and beautifully executed. It was both baronial and modern at the same time, made out of large stones in a cream color separated by floor to roof glass windows. A few marble steps led out to the entrance of the ballroom, which was made up of a giant smooth wooden door with carvings all over it. Upon a closer look I realized those carvings were all over the walls as well, and that they were symbols of the elements. Fire, water, air and earth, a recognition of the magic surrounding all of us at Coleste.

Inside, the room looked even more astonishing. True to the theme, the ballroom looked like a scene from an old movie, engulfed in black and white. The whole place shimmered as the gold fairy lights that hung everywhere cast their light on the black tablecloths. White roses were set as centerpieces on every table, surrounded by expensive china that glowed under the light from the candles. The high ceiling was covered in crystal chandeliers, chiming as the wind caressed them everytime a breeze entered the room. White rose petals covered the entrance from the floor all the way to the stage where a number of violinists and a piano player were bringing to life a sweet melody. The center of the room was clear, no doubt a space for dancing, and already people were shuffling towards it, embracing each other and moving swiftly to the beat of the slow music. Waiters holding trays of Champagne moved through the crowd of black and white costumes, smiling as they offered the drinks.

“Champagne?” I asked, looking at Kira in astonishment. The event might not seem like it’s a high school dance, but distributing alcohol to minors felt wrong even for supernatural creatures.

“Fancy isn’t it?” she smirked. “Alcohol doesn’t affect mystics they way it affects humans. It dulls out our magic a little but that’s about it. Enjoy my dear.” She waved her hand dismissively and reached for a glass of champagne as a waiter passed by. Rose grabbed two glasses, handed one to me with a smile, and clacked her glass with Kira’s and mine. “To new experiences!” She cheered.

I was about to decline, argue that I didn’t want my first drink to be a glass of champagne on my first day of school and that I wasn’t even sure that I was a mystic that will not be affected like the rest of the attendees, but something inside of me twisted and I kept quiet. I had no idea if this truly was my first drink. What if the girl I used to be two years ago had already had her first drink? And although I had no recollection of my life, somehow standing here with Kira and Rose cheering and sipping champagne felt very familiar. Ever since I stepped foot in Lixierra high, beyond the feelings of stress, anxiety and fear, under all of that I couldn’t help but feel like I somehow belong in this world. I might not know who I am or what I am capable of, I might not understand these magical powers that have appeared out of nowhere one night and I might even doubt myself and everything I know or don’t know, but I have always trusted my guts. Meeting the girls, seeing this place, I felt comfortable. I felt right at home.

“Oh, food!” Rose’s clapping pulled me out of my reverie and I laughed as she grabbed me and Kira by the arms and dragged us towards an open buffet. My mouth watered as I gazed upon the wide selection of ambrosial delicacies provided on the beautifully decorated tables. From sweet to savory to foods I didn’t even recognize, it was obvious to me that mystics don’t play around when it comes to social events. I didn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter