I don't deserve this, darling, you look perfect tonight

Perfect

I don't deserve this, darling, you look perfect tonight

 

The night from December 31st, 2016, to January 1st, 2017, had been Bo Gum’s happiest night so far. The bitterness and pain he felt from not having Yoo Jung by his side at the awards faded away after he’d seen her and talked to her. She had planned everything for him, for them: the dress, the garden, the confession, the kiss. Sitting on the edge of his bed, later that very night, Bo Gum drew a hand to his lips and remembered the brief moment they’d spent touching Yoo Jung’s. It was the best kiss he’d ever had, and he wanted to spend the rest of his life kissing her just like that.

 

Still, Bo Gum ought to remember, she was very young. They both were, actually, but the fact that she was only eighteen and still two years away from reaching the age of majority made him a little afraid of what people would say if they found out about them. He was determined to protect her at all cost, and he wanted to talk openly with her about how to proceed if they were indeed going to be together.

 

Bo Gum lay on his back and smiled at the ceiling, because it was finally true. They were now together. He recalled how, just over an hour ago, he’d asked her to be his girlfriend. After confessing their feelings for each other, they’d both sat down together on one of the garden benches. It was then that Bo Gum had taken her hands and looked into her eyes, and got ready to say the words he’d wanted to say for months.

 

“Yoo Jung-ah, there’s something I must ask you.” It was his turn to feel flustered and out of words. “You might think it’s a bit rushed, and maybe it is… And I wish I could’ve planned this differently, I mean, I had a lot of ideas on how to ask you this…” Bo Gum felt his cheeks turning hot and red and saw Yoo Jung trying hard to keep a straight face.

 

Gwaenchanha, Oppa.” She gave him a reassuring smile. He took a deep breath and continued.

 

“Yoo Jung-ah… Would you like to be my girlfriend?” He stared at her anxiously as his heart pounded fiercely in his chest.

 

Yoo Jung let out an excited squeak and hid behind her hands as she smiled. After a few seconds she replied, softly but loud enough for Bo Gum to hear it.

 

Ne, Oppa. I… I would love to.” She showed him her face again. Her smile was huge and her cheeks were bright red. Without another word, she threw her arms around Bo Gum and hugged him tightly.  

 

And, just like that, she had become his girlfriend. Bo Gum lay awake for a while longer, smiling in disbelief. He felt incredibly blessed to have her, and that his wildest dream had actually come true. He had loved her and had wanted to be with her for so long, he hardly felt worthy of the joy he was experiencing.

 

He let out one last happy sigh before turning around to sleep.

 

“What have I done to deserve you, Yoo Jung-ah?”