I know we'll be alright this time

Perfect

I know we'll be alright this time

 

Bo Gum spent the ride to Kyung Hee University silently thinking about the event taking place that night. It was the first ever edition of the Asia Artist Awards, and both him and Yoo Jung were nominated and attending the ceremony. He was thrilled to be able to share such a special occasion with her and to be by her side once more. Even though they always kept in touch -in fact, a day didn’t go by in which they didn’t text each other-, their schedules had made it hard for them to meet up, so he couldn’t wait to see her again.

 

Still, this was a very public event and there would be cameras everywhere. Bo Gum was worried that, somehow, he might do something wrong or maybe look too affectionate. At the same time, he just really wanted to enjoy his time with Yoo Jung and be able to care for her like he always did. Such a dilemma played on inside his head and he tried his best to shake off the uncertainty as soon as he stepped on the red carpet. He made his way through it swiftly and professionally before entering the venue and finding his seat. Bo Gum was trying to keep calm as he looked around the room, waiting for Yoo Jung to show up, when he felt a light touch on his shoulder.

 

Annyeonghaseyo, Bo Gum Oppa”, a sweet, familiar voice said. He turned around immediately and found Yoo Jung, beautifully made up and dressed in a long, off-shoulder black dress. She gave him a shy smile and bowed quickly before sitting down next to him. Bo Gum was stunned by how beautiful she looked but also by the sudden shyness and seriousness with which she addressed him. This wasn’t how Yoo Jung normally behaved around him, and for a second, he worried about having done something to upset her.

 

He got his answer, though, after giving a quick glance around the room: the small venue was quickly filling up with artists from different fields but, most of all, with several cameras and media people. She surely didn’t want to start any rumors that might hurt them, and Bo Gum quickly caught up with her and decided to act accordingly, at least while the room was fully lit and the cameras were on them. He bowed as well and gave her a quick smile.

 

Annyeonghaseyo, Yoo Jung-ah”. Bo Gum responded in a quiet voice as he bowed, still sitting down. Then, he gave Yoo Jung a knowing look and a reassuring smile, trying to let her know that he understood the reason behind her seriousness. Yoo Jung smiled back at him and he knew she’d gotten what he meant. During filming, they had developed the ability to communicate with each other without the need for words, and Bo Gum was ecstatic to find out that they were still able to do so.

 

Before he knew it, the lights faded out and the ceremony started. It was dark enough, so Bo Gum took the chance.

 

Jinjja yeppeuda, Yoo Jung-ah”. He leaned into Yoo Jung and quickly whispered. Even though the room was barely lit, he saw her cheeks get bright red and a big smile drawing in her lips. She truly looked incredibly beautiful.

 

Gomawo, Oppa.” She whispered back and looked at him. “Oppa jalsaenggyeotta.” Two could play this flirting game, for sure.

 

It was Bo Gum’s turn to get giddy and shy. He smiled brightly as the lights went back on and the ceremony started. He had loved seeing Yoo Jung talk to him like she usually did, if only for a brief moment. Not only that, but she had also called him handsome. Bo Gum didn’t dare think she could be flirting with him, but he still liked knowing that she found him handsome. He was still thinking about it when he heard the MC calling out to them from the stage.

 

“...Boyoo couple, Park Bo Gum-ssi, Kim Yoo Jung-ssi, annyeonghaseyo.”

 

They both bowed politely and then waved at the camera that was filming them. Even though those two little words, ‘Boyoo couple’, made his heart flutter, Bo Gum tried to look relaxed as he remembered how important it was to portray a certain image while the cameras were on them. Meanwhile, Yoo Jung looked perfectly poised and elegant, and made it look easy. Being next to her brought joy and calmness to Bo Gum’s heart, and he started believing that they could actually enjoy their night together.

 

The ceremony itself was fun, with lots of different awards being given out and many group performances, and he was happy to sit by her side and silently enjoy her company. Before he knew it, though, it was time to announce the winners of the category in which Bo Gum was nominated, the Asia Star Award. He was called to the stage during the break and waited next to the other winners to be revealed to the audience. Once they were, they were welcome by incredibly loud cheers from the crowd. Bo Gum felt a bit overwhelmed but mostly thankful and humbled, and when it was his turn, he went up to the mic and started delivering his speech.

 

Ye, annyeonghaseyo, Park Bo Gum-ibnida.” He greeted the crowd and started his speech. “I would like to share the thankfulness and happiness of this award with the staff who worked together on Gureumi Geurin Dalbit…” Suddenly, he felt a surge of bravery, and decided to thank her, not caring for a moment about what people would think or say. “...as well as Yoo Jung-ie, who is here today, the sunbaenim who held the core of the drama together…”

 

Even from the stage, Bo Gum could see Yoo Jung’s sweet smile when he mentioned her name. He also heard the loud cheers from the crowd, and knew they were not only for him but also for her, for them. He wondered then, just for an instant, if people would actually be supportive of them being together, if such a time was ever to come.

 

“...I’ll try to be an actor who can capture people’s mind and heart.”

 

Bo Gum finished off his speech with a bow. After a while, they let him return to his seat, and Yoo Jung welcomed him with a smile. They sat together in silence, listening to the rest of the ceremony. Every time the lights went out, they caught up with each other, joked and laughed together. Bo Gum also wanted to make sure everyone around him was having a good time, and he had used the latest break to fetch some water for Yoo Jung and the actors next to him.

 

Oppa.” Yoo Jung suddenly turned around and whispered to him. “I need to go to the bathroom.”

 

Bo Gum looked at Yoo Jung’s pout and knew what she meant: the hall that led to the bathroom was really dark and it was hard to walk around without bumping into anybody, let alone do so in a long dress, like the one she was wearing. Without needing to say a word, he got up, and Yoo Jung followed. As they walked, he felt her small hand reaching out to him in the dark, and he immediately took it, as his heart pounded like crazy. Would anyone capture that moment on camera? Would hurtful rumors start, just because he was holding her hand?

 

He waited for her outside the bathroom and then promptly made their way back to their seats together. Bo Gum was still holding her hand when they sat back down and the lights went on again. His heart was still beating really fast from having just held her hand, but he tried to keep his cool as the ceremony continued. After a while, it was time to give out the award in which Yoo Jung was nominated. As soon as the MCs called her name, she got up shyly and made her way up to the stage.

 

This time, Bo Gum couldn’t really hold back. He was beaming at the sight of her going up to collect her award, because he truly felt incredibly proud of her and everything she was achieving as an actress. Yoo Jung looked so beautiful just standing there, and Bo Gum was thankful that he now had a valid excuse to stare. He couldn’t help it.

 

“...I will capture your hearts even more.” Yoo Jung finished off her short but sweet speech, and Bo Gum was still smiling brightly and cheering her on. She sat down next to him again and they watched the rest of the ceremony together, talking each time the lights went out and making each other laugh. Bo Gum had truly missed her a lot ever since their drama ended, and he could only hope she felt the same way.

 

Before they knew it, the night was coming to an end. Bo Gum didn’t want to part ways with Yoo Jung just yet, so he made sure she was still by his side as they slowly got up from their seats and approached the crowd of winning artists waiting to take the final picture. They were standing together and talking about the evening when some of his friends came up to him to say hello. Bo Gum wanted to talk and be polite but also didn’t want to leave Yoo Jung alone for too long. She was right behind him, talking to a female colleague, so he made sure to keep her close.

 

Suddenly, everyone started moving and getting onstage for the final photo. Bo Gum walked a few steps and realized that Yoo Jung was no longer following him. He looked behind his shoulder and saw her standing in the same spot, with her back to the crowd, not being able to see that everyone was getting ready for the picture.

 

“Wait a second.” Bo Gum said to his friend as he stretched out his hand over to where Yoo Jung was. Then, he called at her.

 

“Yoo Jung-ah!”

 

No response. She hadn’t heard him.

 

“Yoo Jung-ah!” He called out again, this time a bit louder.

 

Still no response.

 

That’s when Bo Gum realized the lights were on, all the cameras were on them and they were surrounded by many people. He couldn’t be so obvious, and he couldn’t risk any rumors starting because of his eagerness to keep her close. The crowd was gathering around him, so he had no choice but to keep moving up to the stage, feeling a slight sense of dread and a heavy heart. As silly as it was, he really wanted to be next to Yoo Jung in that picture.

 

After the picture was taken and the cameramen were wrapping up for the night, Bo Gum shuffled over to where Yoo Jung was.

 

“Yoo Jung-ah! I was calling for you, didn’t you hear me?” He tried not to sound too whiny, although that was exactly how he was feeling. Yoo Jung’s sorrowful expression quickly softened his heart, though.

 

Mianhae, Oppa. I didn’t hear you.” She replied, truthfully. Bo Gum shook his head with a smile.

 

Gwaenchanha. I’m sure there’ll be plenty of time to take another picture, ne?”

 

Ne, Oppa.” Yoo Jung smiled back and Bo Gum decided to ask what he’d been wanting to ask her all night long.

 

“Yoo Jung-ah…” He started, trying his best to sound confident. “...Would you like to go and get something to eat?”

 

Why was he so nervous? They’d gone out together several times and shared plenty of meals, but there was something about them now, about leaving an awards show together, that had Bo Gum feeling like there was something different this time. Yoo Jung looked so beautiful and he was dressed up accordingly as well, that it truly felt like a real date, and the seriousness of it all was what had Bo Gum feeling giddy and nervous.

 

Oppa…” Yoo Jung started. Her voice sounded sad. “...Mianhae. I can’t today, I promised eomma I’d be home early to help her with some things.” She hesitated for a bit, as if she wanted to say something more, but didn’t.

 

Bo Gum was a bit taken aback, for it was the first time she’d ever rejected his invitation to get food, but didn’t let it show.

 

Gwaenchanha, Yoo Jung-ah. Maybe some other time, ne?”

 

She nodded again and gave him a little smile. Bo Gum walked her to her car and hugged her goodnight before seeing her being driven off into the city. He felt that Yoo Jung’s attitude had been a little off from the moment when they missed taking the picture together. Had he made her uncomfortable in some way? What was she feeling? Had there been a change in her heart?

 

Bo Gum tried to push those negative thoughts out of his head and focus on the future. Whatever it was, MAMA was coming up, and he would make sure he made up for the lost time and missed chances.