When I saw you in that dress, looking so beautiful...

Perfect

When I saw you in that dress, looking so beautiful...

 

His phone rang as soon as he got into the car and he almost dropped it when he realized who was calling.

 

“Yoo Jung-ah!” He answered, short of breath.

 

Oppa!!!” Her voice sounded excited and a little off-pitch, almost like she’d been crying. “Oppa. I am so happy for you.”

 

“Yoo Jung-ah, did you see it? Did you watch it on TV? We won Best Couple, Yoo Jung-ah”. His voice broke and he stayed in silence, holding back the tears. 

 

“I know, Oppa! I watched it all. I want to talk with you about it, I…” She took a breath. “I actually have something I want to show you. Will you come over to my house?”

 

“Wait, your house? Have you been discharged from the hospital already?”

 

Ne, it was kind of unexpected… Even though I am not fully recovered, there were a lot of emergencies tonight and they needed the rooms, so they let me go half an hour ago. I’m only just getting home.” A moment of silence. “Will you come, Oppa?”

 

Ne! Obviously, Yoo Jung-ah. I’m on my way, I’ll be there in a few minutes”

.

What was it that she wanted to show him? He thought about it like crazy as his heart pumped excitedly. He was finally going to see Yoo Jung, to hold her, and to give her the award she had won. He smiled as he remembered his encounter with his sunbae, Lee Jun Hyeok, after the awards had ended.

 

“Bo Gum-ah!” He had heard a voice call him just as he was about to leave. It was Jun Hyeok, who was running after him. “Bo Gum-ah, here. Have this. You should give it to her.” He handed him Yoo Jung’s award and flower bouquet. Bo Gum looked blankly at his costar, who was smiling from ear to ear.

 

Aigoo, don’t worry too much about it.” He whispered and blinked at him. “Just use this as an excuse to see her and send her my regards. I hope she recovers soon and you two can be together again.”

 

Bo Gum had given him a little smile and bowed. He didn’t mind that his sunbae could see right through him and his feelings.

 

Kamsahamnida, Lee Jun Hyeok-sunbaenim.” They’d hugged goodbye and gone their separate ways.

 

Bo Gum snapped out his thoughts, for he’d arrived at Yoo Jung’s house in no time and found her manager by the door, who was there to greet them. Bo Gum bowed politely.

 

“Bo Gum-ssi, congratulations on the award. Yoo Jung told me everything on the way here.”

 

Kamsahamnida, manager-nim. How is Yoo Jung-ie?”

 

“She’s much better.” Her manager smiled. “Please, come in, she’s waiting for you. Her eomma just left to get some food. I’ll wait for her here while catching up with my dear chingu.” He looked at Bo Gum’s manager and laughed. They were really good friends, indeed, Bo Gum thought.

 

He bowed and quickly made his way inside Yoo Jung’s house. He’d been there a few times before, mostly to eat together with her and her family. He liked them very much and had a feeling that they liked him back. Yoo Jung loved spending time with her family, and he was happy to be included in some of those occasions.

 

“Yoo Jung-ah? It’s me.” He called out inside the house.

 

“Oppa”. He heard her call back out from her room. “Please wait for me in the garden, I’ll be right out.”

 

Bo Gum obliged and sat down on one of the pretty wooden benches Yoo Jung’s eomma had installed in their indoor garden. It was really late at night already, but he didn’t care. He just wanted to see her, no matter the time or the place. He had missed her so, so, so…

 

Oppa.” He heard her calling from behind him. “I’m here.”

 

Bo Gum turned around immediately to face her and could not believe his eyes. Before him was Yoo Jung, as beautiful as ever, wearing a long, dark red dress and high heels. Her long black hair was down and covered both her shoulders, and even though she wasn’t wearing any makeup, her lips and cheeks were naturally tainted pink. He stared at her for a while, taking in her immense beauty, and not really catching up on what was happening.

 

“Yoo Jung-ah!” He gasped after a few seconds, as he ran up to her and hugged her tightly.

 

“Bo Gum Oppa…” He felt her wrapping her arms tightly around him and his embrace became stronger as well.

 

“Yoo Jung-ah” He buried his face in her shoulder. “I missed you so much tonight.”

 

At this point, he couldn’t hold back the tears any longer, and he felt himself silently crying, despite his will. She started sobbing as well, still in his arms. Bo Gum let go of her with one arm and held her cheek in his hand, like he’d done so many times before. He wiped one of her tears with his thumb as he looked in her eyes.

 

“You look so beautiful”. He whispered. She smiled through the tears, her face still held by him. How can she be so beautiful, even when she’s crying? He smiled at her and wiped his own tears. After a while, they both started laughing while looking at each other.

 

Oppa, look at you! You’re crying again!” She playfully mocked him.

 

“Aish, the things you make me do, Yoo Jung-ah!” He joked back. He’d really been crying a lot that night. “Who told you to come out here looking so pretty?” They looked at each other again and laughed.

 

“I had already picked out a dress for the awards.” She looked at him sorrowfully. “I liked it so much, I wanted to wear it at least once… And I thought I might as well wear it now. I’m not as made up as I would’ve been in the awards, of course, but…”

 

“You look gorgeous, Yoo Jung-ah.” He gave her a reassuring smile and walked a step closer to put his arms around her. As he put his hands on her shoulders, he felt they were utterly cold. In fact, it was freezing that night, and he hadn’t even noticed.

 

Aigoo! You’re gonna freeze! Come.” In a swift motion, he took off his tuxedo jacket and draped it around her shoulders. She blushed and looked at the floor, smiling.

 

Gomawo, Oppa. You’re always looking out for me.” She finally lifted her head to face him. Her big, beautiful eyes were bright, and she had a look of determination Bo Gum had never seen before. “Mianhae. For not being there tonight.”

 

“Yoo Jung-ah, it’s not your fault. I’m just happy you’re okay now.” He held her hands as he looked at her and softly caressed them.

 

“I missed you so much, Oppa. I watched it all on TV, and I felt so happy, and so proud...” Yoo Jung continued. “I wish I could’ve been there with you.”

 

“Me too, Yoo Jung-ah.” You have no idea just how much, Bo Gum thought.

 

“And you know what, Oppa? I realized something tonight.” She looked at him, expectantly. Her hands were warm but shaking, and Bo Gum didn’t know if it was because of the weather anymore. He held his breath.

 

“What is it, Yoo Jung-ah?”

 

“I…” She took a deep breath before continuing. “I like you, Oppa. I like you very, very much.” Yoo Jung looked down, flustered, before looking up again and meeting his eyes.

 

Bo Gum was startled. Did she just say she likes me? Does this mean what I think it means? He felt his heart skip a beat and then begin pumping rapidly. He had a hard time thinking straight and wasn’t sure what to say next.

 

“Yoo Jung-ah…” He started. She quickly put up her index finger and softly placed it on his lips.

 

Oppa, please, let me finish.” She smiled. “You… You are my best friend, Oppa. For a long time, I thought I only liked you as a friend, but…” She took another deep breath. “You’ve always taken such good care of me, and you’ve always been there for me… Being away from you these days and not being able to be with you to see you win such a big award hurt me like never before. That’s when I realized that, maybe… Oppa! I’m being serious! Why are you laughing?”

 

Yoo Jung looked embarrassed and hurt upon seeing Bo Gum’s cheerful and tender expression while looking at her. He had the biggest smile she’d ever seen on him, and his eyes were glued to hers.

 

“Yoo Jung-ah, ani…” He took her face in his hands and looked at her lovingly. “I am not laughing at you. I am just happy. Because I feel the same way.”

 

Yoo Jung’s eyes opened wide.

 

Ne, Oppa? You’re serious?” A small smile drew on her lips and she looked down, trying to keep calm.

 

“I’ve never been more serious about anything in my entire life.” He looked at her, her face still in his hands, and got one step closer to her. By now, their faces were just inches away from each other. “I like you so much, Yoo Jung-ah. You have no idea. And I’ve liked you for so long.”

 

She smiled and wrinkled her nose in the way Bo Gum liked so much. He smiled as well, still looking into her eyes. Never, not even in his wildest dreams, had he imagined such a perfect moment… This was, by far, the happiest night of his life. He knew then that everything had been the way it had to be; every step of their relationship had led them to that very moment, and he couldn’t be more thankful.

 

He was pulled out of his thoughts by the touch of Yoo Jung’s hands on his face. She was now holding him as well, and Bo Gum’s heart started to pump rapidly, knowing what was to come. Even though she was wearing heels, he was still taller than her, so he leaned down until their faces were touching each other. And then, they kissed.

 

Bo Gum felt as if he was going to explode from all the happiness and excitement taking over his body. He let her take the lead in the kiss, as he’d promised himself he would, and felt her soft lips touching his shyly. Still, he sensed a new determination in Yoo Jung, something that she hadn’t shown when they filmed their kissing scenes together. He loved this moment so much. He loved her so much. After a short while, she pulled away. He stared at her in disbelief, still processing everything that just had happened, and Yoo Jung smiled widely.

 

“Were you not expecting this, Oppa?” She teased, a little worried. He quickly shook his head and reassured her.

 

Ani, Yoo Jung-ah. This is everything I’ve ever wanted.” He put his arms around her and hugged her tightly. “It’s perfect.”