We are still kids, but we're so in love, fighting against all odds

Perfect

We are still kids, but we're so in love

Fighting against all odds

 

“Let’s travel together after finishing the drama on a good note, ye?”

 

Those were the words he’d said to her during an interview not too long ago, and finally, they were going to make their promise to each other come true. Bo Gum was counting down the days for the trip, and once he was there, he was counting down the minutes until she arrived.

 

Cebu was beautiful, but it became a million times prettier once she set foot on the island as well. It wasn’t as fun being without her; he missed her dearly and couldn’t wait to go on lots of adventures together. It was a rare occurrence to be able to travel like this, and so much more if it also involved Yoo Jung. Bo Gum was determined to make every second count.

 

“Yoo Jung-ah!” He ran up to her as soon as he saw her and gave her a big hug, oblivious to the many cast and crew members that were also nearby. He had missed her so much and had waited for her so intently, that he didn’t really care what people thought at that moment. Still, just in case, he tried to divert the attention from his little scene.

 

Yeorobun!” He called out at his fellow co-workers. “Hong Ra On is here!”

 

He took a step aside as they all flocked to where Yoo Jung was and showered her with attention. They seemed to have missed her a lot, as well, and Bo Gum couldn’t help but feel a tiny pang of jealousy as he saw her interacting with all of them so warmly. Still, Yoo Jung kept shooting glances at him every now and then, and that gave him a slither of hope.

 

The day was spent as a group, eating, playing and sightseeing. There was hardly any time for them to be alone together, let alone talk and catch up, and he craved for some one on one time with her. They finished their first day together in Cebu with a big dinner in the hotel’s restaurant. Everyone was getting giddy because it was an open bar, but since neither Bo Gum nor Yoo Jung drank alcohol, after a while they found themselves sitting together on a table near the window, as far away as possible from the crowd.

 

“Having fun, Yoo Jung-ah?” Bo Gum smiled as he sat down beside her.

 

Ne, Oppa! It was a nice day. Although…” Yoo Jung looked over at him and lowered her voice. “I’m getting a little bored here. Everyone’s drinking and it’s too loud. They’re too loud.” She looked over at Jin Young and Dong Yeon, who were having a thumb war and accompanied each victory with cheers and roars.

 

“You’re right, Yoo Jung-ah. I--”

 

Daebak!” Yoo Jung’s remark cut him off. She had turned around and was looking over the window at the beach, hypnotized. It was all dark except for a few lights and the moonlight, which made the waves glisten as they moved. “The sea looks so beautiful!”

 

Not as beautiful as you, Bo Gum thought almost immediately. The sentence was equal parts cheesy and charming, but it was exactly what he felt. He couldn’t keep elaborating on that thought, though, because he felt Yoo Jung’s soft hand sliding into his and holding it tightly. He looked down at it, surprised, as his heart began to pound rapidly.

 

Oppa!” Yoo Jung whispered as she looked at him with a mischievous smile on her face. “Let’s go to the beach!”

 

Bo Gum thought about it for a second and looked over his shoulder. The cast and crew members were still busy eating, talking and -mostly- drinking. Lee Jun Hyeok had started doing karaoke and everyone was looking at him, so no one would notice they had just left. It was a bit risky, but he didn’t want to miss the opportunity to be alone with Yoo Jung, so he turned back around and looked at her with an even more playful smile.

 

Ne, let’s go!”

 

Yoo Jung giggled, delighted, and they silently walked out of the hotel’s restaurant, hand in hand. Once they made it out the door, they started running towards the shoreline, making sure not to let go of each other and laughing the whole time. As soon as they reached the shore, Yoo Jung stopped and quickly took off her shoes and socks, emptied her pockets into one of her sneakers, and tiptoed into the water.

 

Baboya!” Bo Gum laughed, surprised at her sudden boldness. “What are you doing?”

 

“The water is amazing, Oppa! Come here!” She beckoned to him.

 

Feeling empowered by her straightforwardness, he took off his shoes and emptied his pockets as Yoo Jung had done and promptly followed her. The sea felt great, indeed, and he was welcomed by Yoo Jung splashing water all over him.

 

“Aish! This dongsaeng!” He pretended to be mad and started chasing her. “You’ll pay for this, Yoo Jung-ah!”

 

Yoo Jung let out a squeak as she ran away from him, turning around every now and then to keep splashing water on him. They were both laughing hysterically, and Bo Gum felt incredibly happy. Then suddenly, as he got hold of her arm, Yoo Jung tripped and fell into the water. Bo Gum tried to hold her, but the waves washed over him and he fell as well.

 

Aigoo, Yoo Jung-ah! Gwaenchanha?” He was suddenly serious, worried about having hurt her. But she was just fine, and the tripping had only intensified her laughter.

 

Oppa!” She cracked up. “Look at us!” Yoo Jung was laughing so hard that she couldn’t make out any more words. Her laughter was contagious, and so Bo Gum started cracking up as well. They sat in the water laughing for a good while, until they began to get cold.

 

“I think we should get going.” Bo Gum suggested. He was reluctant to leave, for he loved having this alone time with Yoo Jung, but if they stayed wet for too long they would surely catch a cold and miss out on the rest of the trip.

 

Ne, let’s go, Oppa.” She smiled, still giddy. They picked up their shoes and belongings and started making their way back to the hotel.

 

As they walked, Bo Gum got lost in thought, pondering over the little moment they’d just shared. He loved how they could play around like kids and have fun together. The subject of their age difference usually came up when people talked about them, but Bo Gum never felt like it was an issue. Yoo Jung talked, acted and carried herself as if she was much older, and Bo Gum himself didn’t really feel completely grown-up yet, so in a way it was like meeting each other halfway. She was smart, polite and mature and Bo Gum loved her for it.

 

Even if they were both really young, he knew there was no difference regarding his feelings. The love he had for Yoo Jung was strong and true, and the most passionate feeling he’d ever experienced. It was no puppy love or passing crush. Bo Gum clearly knew how he felt about her, and he also knew that, if she were to love him, she would love him in the same mature way.

 

Oppa, Gwaenchanha?” Yoo Jung looked at him and pulled him out of his thoughts. “You’re so quiet. Are you feeling well?”

 

Bo Gum shook his head and nodded.

 

Ne, Yoo Jung-ah!” He brushed it off. “I just remembered something I must do. Hey, we’re here!”

 

They entered the hotel and walked quickly, trying not to get anything too wet and trying to hide from the hotel staff, who would surely scold them. After a minute they had arrived at Yoo Jung’s room and she turned around to say goodbye to Bo Gum.

 

Gomawo, Oppa.” She smiled. “For coming down to the beach with me. I had a lot of fun.”

 

Then, in a heartbeat, she tiptoed and planted a quick kiss on his cheek. Bo Gum froze and, before he could react in any way, she had already entered the room and closed the door behind her. He stood frozen outside her room for a full minute, trying to make sense of that kiss, until he remembered he was still soaking wet. Bo Gum turned around, aiming towards his own room, only to find himself face to face with his co-star Lee Jun Hyeok.

 

“Ah, Bo Gum-ssi.” He looked at him with a serious expression but trying to hold back a smile. “So here’s where you both have been hiding.”

 

“Lee Jun Hyeok-sunbaenim! Anida!” Bo Gum quickly bowed and shook his head as he truthfully denied his claims. “It’s not like that! We were on the beach and then Yoo Jung-ie fell into the water, and I was just…”

 

Gwaenchanha, gwaenchanha.” Lee Jun Hyeok’s expression softened and he let out the smile he was holding back. He was clearly tipsy but spoke in the same usual kind-hearted way. “I was just trying to tease you. I know you’re a good man, Bo Gum-ssi.”

 

Kamsahamnida, Lee Jun Hyeok-sunbaenim.” Bo Gum bowed again and kept looking at the floor, a bit embarrassed.

 

Jinjja gwaenchanha, Bo Gum-ah, I believe you. Although, let me tell you...” Lee Jun Hyeok lowered his voice and glanced over at Bo Gum with a knowing stare. “I also know how you feel about Yoo Jung-ah.”

 

Bo Gum’s eyes widened and he looked over at his sunbaenim, bewildered.

 

Omo, Lee Jun Hyeok-sunbaenim!” Bo Gum whispered desperately. “How did you know? Am I too obvious? Do you think she knows?”

 

Ani, Bo Gum-ah!” He tried to calm his dongsaeng down, a bit confused from Bo Gum’s flood of questions and his own drunkenness. “I am an old man and I simply know these things. I know you and I know Yoo Jung-ah, and I can only tell you what I take from my observations. But don’t worry.” He winked at Bo Gum, reassuringly. “I think you’re both on the right path.”  

 

With that last phrase, he turned around and mysteriously disappeared in the nearest corner, leaving Bo Gum feeling completely exposed but strangely hopeful at the same time. Perhaps his sunbae was right, and acting on his feelings was the right thing for him to do. Still, he couldn’t shake Lee Jun Hyeok’s exact words: he’d said both were on the right path. Not only him, but Yoo Jung as well. Could that mean she also had feelings for him, and was also acting on them? 

 

That thought accompanied Bo Gum for the rest of the trip. He felt his best when he was with Yoo Jung, and he made sure to be by her side as much as he could. He wanted to make her laugh, to see her have a good time and to protect her. And maybe it was his own imagination, but he felt like Yoo Jung also enjoyed his company. They’d become the best of friends during filming, but Bo Gum sensed there was something different about her disposition towards him. Was it because they were able to see each other after a long time? Was it because of the idyllic scenery surrounding them, that made everything seem more beautiful? Or was it because of…?

 

Oppa!” Yoo Jung had come up to where he was sitting down, alone with his thoughts, and was waving a hand in front of his face. “What are you thinking about? Come, we need to enjoy our precious last moments in Cebu! Remember the plane leaves today!”

 

“Yoo Jung-ah!” He snapped out of his trance in a heartbeat. She was right, they were leaving in just a few hours, and Bo Gum wanted to make the most of that time. “Gomawo! Let’s go eat something before leaving, ye?”

 

Yoo Jung gave him a nod and a big smile and let him lead the way. He wanted to cherish every second he got to spend by her side, because he didn’t know if they’d have the opportunity to travel together anytime soon. Not being able to act on his feelings was becoming increasingly hard as days went by, but Bo Gum stood by his initial resolution of letting her make the first move, if there was ever to be something more than a friendship between them.

 

Still, Bo Gum’s disposition towards her was getting even more attentive and caring, and because Yoo Jung seemed to like it, he didn’t stop himself. She accepted his offer to buy her ice cream, and they shared their last meal in Cebu together. He then suggested they take one last walk down the beach before leaving, and she agreed happily. Once they were in the airport, Bo Gum softly held her hand to guide her and protect her from the crowd, and she let him do so. It felt natural for him to take on that role, and Yoo Jung seemed to be just at ease.

 

If only he could know what Lee Jun Hyeok’s words meant, and whether or not Yoo Jung was feeling the very same things he was feeling...