Chapter 5

Missing Piece

Jessica's POV

 

I managed to get a lunch break on my shift. Sometimes, the job was rewarding with how many people I've helped, but other times, I just wanted to go home and sleep for decades. I had just bought some food in the cafeteria and was about to sit in my usual place when I noticed Yoong. He was looking out the window and I was surprised to see him here.

"Yoong"

He looked up and seemed surprised to see me. I chuckled at that thought. I sat down and he seemed to be in a zone again. I looked him over carefully. He really was handsome, extremely handsome. He was fit and muscular, but not too much that you thought it was gross. We hadn't seen him for days and Taeyeon said she hadn't heard anything from him either.

"Are you here to see someone?" I asked.

"Sort of" He said and I frowned.

"My half-sister"

"She's here at this hospital?" I mentally went through the list of patients.

"Yes. For awhile now. But I never go see her"

"What's her name?"

Before he could reply, a sudden alarm rang out and people began panicking. Yoong grabbed my hand and took off and I was too startled to pull away.

"Yoong, we have to help those people get out of here if this is a fire or---"

Just then, gunshots were heard.

"Does that sound like a fire to you?"

He slid out his service weapon and gestured for me to be quiet. I numbly nodded and followed his lead.

"Where's your office?" He asked me and I told him it was in the west side of the building.

We managed to make it safely there and he told me to log on the computer.

"What's going on?"

"I need to send an alert to my team to come help"

"Why not call?"

"Someone's jamming the signals"

I logged on and he quickly took over, sending a fast e-mail with a short message.

"We have to get out of here"

He looked out and there were guys. Yoong fired quick successive shots and killed three of the men easily.

"Stay close to me" He warned.

I had no other choice but wondered what the hell was going on.

~~~~~~~~~~

It was over as fast as it had started. Yoong's reinforcements came almost five minutes later, which seemed like a lifetime, and they quickly cleared the remaining men. Most of the patients had been locked inside their rooms, but two security guards were dead. Taeyeon and her agents came by along with the local police. Yoong and I both gave statements and then we were released. I saw Yoong talking with his teammates.

"You were lucky Yoong was there, Sica" Taeyeon said and I nodded.

"Was he here to meet you?"

"No...he said he was sort of visiting his half-sister"

"Half-sister? And sort of?"

"He said she's been here awhile but he never visited her" I said and Taeyeon frowned.

A couple of Yoong's teammates came up to us.

"A pleasure to meet you, Miss Taeyeon. L told us you were an agent" He smiled warmly.

They both gave off good vibes.

"L?"

"We call him L, short for leader" The other guy grinned.

"Thanks...I'm just glad Yoong was here at a time like this" I said.

"It's what we do. Miss Taeyeon, our superiors would like to meet with you regarding what happened today. And you as well, Doctor Jung" He said.

Taeyeon and I looked at each other and nodded. The two guys escorted us into a military vehicle.

"And Yoong?"

"He went ahead early to give an official report. He will be there as well. I'm Rhys, by the way, and this lad here is Ash" The guy grinned.

We both smiled back. We drove for about thirty minutes in light traffic and arrived at a base, where we were cleared. Guards saluted the two men and gates closed behind us. They led us to a conference room.

"Would you like any drinks? A water?" Rhys asked.

We politely declined and the two stood guard. Yoong soon appeared, still dressed in civilian clothes. Two other men entered. Yoong and his comrades saluted them.

"At ease. I'm the Secretary of the Navy, Calloway. And this is the liasion between myself and the President directly, Beckett. Miss Kim, your agents have already copied us on their preliminary reports. Doctor Jung, no patients were harmed and no others were killed besides the security guards"

"Then what happened?"

"They broke into the morgue and stole a body, it seems"

"A body? Whose?" I was confused.

They showed us a video and a group of armed men did indeed burst into the morgue.

"They only knocked the medical examiner and the other two techs unconscious. We are looking into them carefully"

"I don't get it. Why would they take a dead man's body?" Taeyeon asked.

"We believe they were part of the Rx Mercenary group. They wanted to take the body as to leave no evidence. Commander Im and his team here will be taking control of this investigation. They have been placed on the watchlist of many agencies. If they upscale any further, they will be deemed as terrorists" The Secretary said.

He looked at Yoong, who hesitantly nodded.

"Jessica, we asked you here because...we believe it connects to an old case"

"What does it have to do with me?"

Yoong looked at his superiors and they nodded, showing another picture. My throat closed. It was Tiffany. Memories came rushing back.

"I have to go to her. I...I can't be here" I was frantic.

"We have already sent men to get her. She is getting escorted to your place as we speak. Now...these men are also a person of interest"

The next picture showed Taecyeon and his best friend...Nichkhun. Also Tiffany's ex-boyfriend.

"We'd like you to tell us everything you know about them"

I looked at Yoong, who had a stoic face on. I looked at Taeyeon, who gave a defeated sigh.

"Where to start? Taecyeon, the guy on the left. He was one of our best friend's fiance before...well, I'm assuming you know the case. And his best friend, the guy on the right, Nickhun, was one of our best friend's boyfriend before that as well"

"Let me tell you straight up. I loved Tiffany way before then but that bastard beat me to a confession, sweet talking his way. After what he did to her, I wanted to kill him myself" I had to control myself. 

"They disappeared soon after" I finished.

"Is Yuri in danger? Yoong, if she's in danger--"

"At the moment, we believe Kwon Yuri is not in danger. But we are keeping an eye on her as well. He may very well use her again" The Secretary said.

"Commander, you and your team will be attending the charity event hosted by Dr Jung and Miss Kim and their friends tomorrow night. Naturally, you will be attending as guests. You will keep an eye and report back. This is top priority" Beckett said to Yoong, who nodded. 

"If situation changes, use your judgement. We need to get this group under control as fast as possible. Good luck"

Yoong and his buddies saluted them and they left.

"Yoong..."

"I know what happened, well only what was reported. We read the case files. I give you my word. We won't have a repeat" Yoong said.

"Miss Taeyeon, the only people that know who we are are you and your friends. We prefer to keep it that way" Rhys said and she nodded.

"Then we'll see you at the event tomorrow" They bowed and left, including Yoong.

 

~~~~~~

Taeyeon's POV

 

The event came quickly and Yoong texted me they were here. I saw Sica sticking close to Fany and couldn't blame her. What they had went through was horrible. Yuri was here alone tonight. No sign of Taecyeon or Nichkhun here, so far, at least. Everyone was busy talking to people. Most were kissing to us because we were the main givers of the money. Sunny and I just stuck together as well, being a bit bored. I was more worried and distracted and didn't even notice Yoong appearing next to us.

"Yoong!" Sunny nearly had a heart attack and he smiled briefly.

His body seemed more bulkier.

"Bulletproof vests" Yoong explained when he saw me looking at him.

I saw Yuri seemed shocked he was here.

"You should talk to her, Yoong"

"Here for duty rather than personal time. It's best not to be distracted" He replied but I knew he did, yet he was forcing himself not to.

He then moved away, joining one of his team members.

 

The event passed by without a hitch, much to our relief. We finished some things up here after all the guests had left and made our way to our cars when some guys stopped us. It was Taecyeon and Nichkhun. Fany stiffened and Sica got into protective mode. Yuri stiffened as well. Before the guys could say anything, Yoong's men surrounded them.

"Now you guys don't want to do anything stupid, right?" One of the guys asked, Ash, I think it was.

They were all smiling easily but we could tell they were serious.

"We're not doing anything here. How about you just walk away and I'll let you live?" Taecyeon arrogantly smiled.

Suddenly, all of Taecyeon's men all fell down to the ground, dead. Yoong stepped from the shadows.

"How about YOU walk away and I'll be the one that lets you live? I wouldn't do that if I were you" He added as Taecyeon started to pull out his gun.

"Who the hell think you are? I'll ruin your damn life!" Taecyeon snarled.

"Isn't that funny, L? He thinks he can ruin your life" Rhys chuckled.

One of the guys stepped and twisted Nickhun's hand behind his back painfully, making him scream.

"Tsk tsk, now YOU are a naughty boy. We've seen what you did to the poor innocent lady here. Now that's no way to treat a lady. I think we will need to give you some proper etiquette lessons" Two of them pushed him into a car and drove away.

"Yo, L, how about we have some fun of our own? Boss wants him custody ASAP and he's ticking me off, to say the least" Another guy, Rhett, said.

"Take him. If he starts to whine or complain, shut him up"

"Now you're talking" Rhett grinned and he and another guy took, driving away.

"Kyou, go home. You got a wife waiting for you"

"You sure, L? I can stick around"

"Not much more to do. The other guys will handle it"

"Alright. Call me if you need me" Kyou said and drove off.

"Yoong--" Yuri started to speak.

"You don't need to say anything. They're being placed under arrest. I have full authorization to do so. If you're going to stick up for guys like him, then I misjudged you, Yuri. If it was up to me, they'd both be dead right now as well" Yoong said.

Yuri seemed shocked. 

 

Tiffany's POV

 

Yoong walked up to me.

"I will make sure they pay for what they did to you and Jessica, Tiffany. So don't be afraid anymore"

I looked at him in surprise.

"I saw the way you reacted when you saw him. He will pay, mark my words. He's not getting back out on the streets. Period. You don't have to carry the burden anymore or be afraid. It's up to guys like me now. We won't let the legal system fail you. This is our territory now. Will you trust me?" He looked directly into my eyes and I saw he was serious.

I slowly nodded, feeling the sincerity of his words. He looked at Jessi, who slowly nodded as well. Satisfied, Yoong walked away, leaving Yuri still speechless.

We went home, arriving safely and we all changed into more comfortable clothes. We told our families what Yoong said and Uncle Kim just nodded slowly.

"My guess is then he's part of a black ops team"

"Black ops?" Sooyoung asked.

"Black ops. They're teams that don't go through the usual, government crap . They do things off the books. Of course, they still have to be authorized by someone, but that someone is way high up in the chain. They report directly to someone of one of the highest order and no one else. They're the teams you call when you need something done and quietly" Taeyeon explained.

"So...they're like authorized assassins?" Sunny asked.

"Not necessarily assassins. They don't always kill. They sometimes capture. Of course, since no one knows who they are and what they do, they're alone and at the risk of both friendly and enemy fire. They have no reinforcements other than each other" Uncle Kim said.

"For now, girls, he has instructed us to keep you close to home until things are settled"

We didn't protest. I wanted to be home, in the safety and comfort of my family and friends, and especially Jessi. I curled up against her, who immediately wrapped her arms around me.

"I won't let anything ever happen to you again" She kissed my head.

"What I'm the most curious about is this. Yuri, if Yoong kills Taecyeon and Nickhun, could you ever forgive him" Taeyeon asked calmly.

"I..." Yuri was hesitant.

"Let me remind you. Taecyeon you. Nickhun Tiffany and nearly beat her to death. Taecyeon deals in some shady and Nickhun follows his orders without question even if it's not humane. Nickhun abused Tiffany, both physically and mentally. Taecyeon nearly destroyed you as well. Yoong is doing his job and honestly, I don't care if there are some personal feelings involved. But whether you push Yoong away or not, that's up to you" Taeyeon coldly said.

"Taengoo..."

Taeyeon stood up.

"I've seen the families of victims that were killed by this mercenary group. If they even have one part of it, I have no protest on how justice gets done. Especially if its bastards like those two. You better not be involved with Taecyeon again. For your own sake" Taeyeon said and went upstairs.

Sunny followed her and we were all quiet. I looked at Jessi and she smiled softly at me, carrying me to our room.

"Jessi...do you feel the same way?"

"I wanted to kill him. Both of them, Tiff. I almost lost you. Nothing else mattered to me other than getting revenge. I saw how hopeless you were and how...how far you seemed to be even if you were right next to me. You had closed your heart from everyone, even from me. It hurt me endlessly that I couldn't help you. If you hadn't begged me to not do anything and just stay with you, I honestly would have done everything in my power to make sure he was dead"

"Jessi..." My eyes started to water.

I knew how much I had hurt her as well and was immensely grateful she had stayed by my side. I was also happy that I could love her and be with her. I never regretted it since the day I accepted to be her girlfriend.

"Taeyeon is right too. Yoong has to have some personal feelings since he cares for Yuri, even love her. It's his job to keep guys like them off the streets and out of society. If he has to make sure by killing them...all I know is that I never want to see you in that state again. I never want to see Yuri in that state again either. If I have to live with the idea that I indirectly supported them being killed, then so be it. Because you're what's most important to me. You, Yuri and everyone. Nothing else matters to me"

I kissed her, not being able to say anything or else I would break down into tears again.