Chapter 4

Missing Piece

Yuri's POV

 

He would always bring gifts with him, just little things, like treats or some kind of toy. I smiled as I looked forward to seeing him everyday. It had been three weeks since we had first met and yet it seemed like forever. We would meet up in the morning if I didn't sleep at his place to run. I was surprised to learn he had a dog, a gorgeous husky. He was pure white and had blue eyes.

"He boards with a neighbor when I'm gone" Yoong said, scratching his ears.

"If you want...umm...I could take care of him..." I said.

"He seems to have taken a liking to you. He's pretty weary of strangers. I know you're busy and all..."

"No no, it's fine. Besides, I could use the company...having a link to you when you're not here...." I mumbled shyly and he kissed me.

"I named him Taco because he loves tacos" He chuckled and I laughed.

"Come on boy, I'll buy you some tacos" I said and he barked.

"Be warned. He'll attach himself to you after this" He said and I just grinned.

I was amused since I found the dog and the owner to be much alike at how much they ate.

"Like dog, like owner?"

"It's one of the reasons we get along so well" Yoong chuckled, petting him.

I had taken the day off from work and we walked along the beach.

"How's Taeyeon doing?"

"Recovering well. She wants to go back out into the field but uncle's just being protective. We all decided to help her. We've got the security clearance since we do some projects for them sometimes" I said and he frowned.

"I'll be fine. I can take care of myself" I assured him, kissing him.

The dog just looked at me and I pet him too, smiling.

"I just don't want you to get hurt" He mumbled and I smiled.

"For a tough military guy, you sure are soft" I teased and playfully stuck my tongue out at him.

He chased me and the dog happily ran as well, making me have one of the best days of my life. He dropped me off at my place.

"Behave Taco" I chuckled, and kissed Yoong one more time before waving goodbye to him.

I came home, happy, but then my mood turned when I saw who was home.

"Hi Yuri" He stood up.

"Taecyeon..."

The others looked uneasy and shifted their eyes away from me and I sighed.

"What are you doing here, Taecyeon?"

"I came here for you"

~~~~~~~~~~

I avoided Yoong, not knowing what to say. I know he was curious and claimed I was busy with work, telling him to not drop by my office either as I would be out in meetings all day. I knew he deserved an explanation with the way I was acting but I was just afraid to tell him. 

"It's been a week, Yul. You have to tell him sometime if you want a relationship with him" Sica said.

I visited her at the hospital and sighed.

"I know, Sica...it's complicated. You know that"

"You can't avoid him forever" She pointed out and I just looked out the window of her office.

I then received a text, saying he had to go for awhile for work and asked if I wanted to take care of Taco still. I hesitated, knowing it would make me feel more guilty. I just didn't reply.

"Yul..."

"I know, Sica. Damn it, why did he have to appear now all of a sudden?" I was pissed.

Just when things were going great between me and Yoong...was this a sign?

 

Yoong's POV

 

"You okay, L?" Ash asked me.

"Always" I replied as we boarded the jet that would take us to the place where our mission was going to take place.

I hadn't talked to her in over a week and wondered what was wrong. I was tempted to stop by her place but she had told me not to...I shook my head, having to clear my mind for this.

"We all know the drill. Watch each other's backs" I ordered and they confirmed.

We were going to rescue a hostage in the Middle East, a high value target. He had been kidnapped for his top secret clearance to all operations. If those got out, every operative would be in danger.

"Be ready to jump"

We grabbed our gear and jumped out of the airplane, using our parachutes. We landed on the ground softly and we made sure we were all clear before moving out. 

 

Fire broke out at the place where the target was and we were bombarded with bullets. I gave directions using hand signals and we moved in, not hesitating for a second. That second could get you killed.

"Target is secure. I repeat, target is secure!" Rhys confirmed over our comms. 

We made our way back, being careful and firing when enemies popped up and we made it to the chopper that was waiting for us at the rendezvous point and it was another successful mission. Once we landed in safe territory, we handed him over to another official.

"Gentlemen, I realize you just completed a mission and are eager to get back home, but we have a national security issue. You need to board a jet right away"

We did so without question. That was our work. I thought about Yuri once more before focusing on the mission.

 

Taeyeon's POV

 

It's been a month since then. Yoong hasn't shown up, most likely being busy with work. But Yuri sometimes met with Taecyeon, to which we were uneasy about. Taecyeon wasn't that bad of a guy...but we all felt Yoong was a better fit for Yuri. She had brought Yoong's dog, Taco, over and we all immediately fell in love with him. He seemed kind of depressed, though, missing his owner. Yuri came home just then.

"Met with Taecyeon again?"

She seemed startled when Fany spoke. The dog just growled at the mention of his name and I smiled. Yuri had said he was weary of strangers, but he seemed okay with us.

"Y-Yeah...just business stuff..." Yuri muttered and we all knew she was lying.

"Hope you know what you're doing, Yul" Sunny said and took my head, going upstairs.

My investigation into Rx had stalled. It's like they just suddenly dropped off the grid and that made me feel uneasy.

"Baby?"

I saw Sunny looking concerned and smiled faintly. I looked down at the files of the victims who had been killed. So far, we had found no reason for them wanting to be killed. Could just be over a stupid reason.

"I'm worried. I feel helpless that I can't help them. That I can't bring closure to their families" I sighed and Sunny kissed me.

"Taengoo, you're doing all you can. I'm sure you will succeed. You're the Kim Taeyeon" She said and I chuckled lightly.

"What are we going to do about Yuri?"

"It's her decision and life. If she wants to go through what she did before again, then it's her own fault. We're not helping her this time" I said.

"Taengoo..."

"Taecyeon is an okay guy, but I never liked him for her, Sunny. Then when Yoong appeared, I felt like he was the one for her. I'm on his side on this one" I said and she sighed.

Taecyeon was the reason Yuri had gone wild. But with Yoong in the picture, it's like she had finally settled down again, something we thought would never happen.

~~~~~~~~

A week passed by when Yoong showed up at our place. He had come to pick up his dog. Yuri wasn't home. We didn't bother asking about what she was doing with Taecyeon anymore. The dog barked happily when he saw him and Yoong smiled.

"She's not here, in case you wanted to know" I said and he nodded.

"Thanks for taking care of him"

"He's really sweet"

"He's a good judge of character"

"Are you going to be in town long?" I asked him.

"It's up to my superiors. I've also been informed that the military is now officially taking over the investigation into the Rx Mercenary group"

"I want to see this through. I've met with the families and I can't just..."

"They are dangerous, Taeyeon. They will use any leverage they can get, even if it's not related, just to get what they want"

I gave him my number.

"Just let me know what's going on if you can" I insisted and he looked at my number.

"I'll do what I can" He said and said goodbye.

 

Over the next few days, he sent me some stuff through a secure network. I sent him some updates about Yuri, but he didn't reply regarding that topic. I sighed and leaned back against my chair. I reviewed some of the agents' other files, particularly concentrating on anything related to the Rx Mercenary group. 

 

Yoong's POV

 

I spent most of my time either training or with my dog. I could tell my teammates knew something was wrong, but didn't want to ask. Then by chance, I saw Yuri at a cafe nearby my apartment. 

"Yoong..."

I smiled faintly at her and we sat a table with a cup of coffee.

"You still look great" I said and she smiled, but with a hint of sadness?

"Yoong, I--"

"Did I do something wrong, Yuri?"

"No! It's...it's not you. It's just...it's just complicated right now. And I don't want you to get in the middle of it" She said.

I saw a guy leaning against a car outside and stood up.

"It seems someone is waiting for you outside" I said and she looked outside. 

"I guess I'll see you around then, Yuri" I smiled faintly and left. 

 

Jessica's POV

 

Tiff was visiting me again as usual today.

"Do you even work?" I and she pouted.

"So things are still weird between Yoong and Yuri?" I sipped my coffee that she had brought.

"Haven't seen him around lately, so I guess" Tiff said.

I had been stuck at work, bunking at a crib here, which . If Tiffany didn't visit me here, I wouldn't have seen her for days.

"She should tell Yoong everything. Or better yet, maybe we should" Tiff said.

"Tiff...we shouldn't get involved. Not again. I almost lost you" I sighed just at the memory.

She took my hand and smiled at me lovingly.

"I'm okay, aren't I?"

"I just don't want to relive that again" I sighed, gripping her hand tightly.

"And another reason why I don't want Taecyeon hanging around Yuri" I said.

"Which is why we should tell Yoong. He can probably do something" She insisted and I looked outside the window. 

My phone buzzed and I kissed her.

"Time for me to get back to work. I'll see you at home tonight" I assured her, smiling and she gave me her eyesmile happily.

I watched her go before slipping out to the roof where Taeyeon was waiting.

"What's up, Tae?" I asked.

"Don't you think it's weird Taecyeon just showing up out of the blue? Not even a call, an e-mail from before. It's been three years. Then suddenly, this Mercenary group is showing up here and he does too"

"You can't seriously think that he has something to do with that group" I raised my eyebrows at her.

"It just seems fishy about the timing. Call me paranoid, but...I don't know. Something just doesn't feel right"

"Is Yuri in danger?" 

"I hope not. Because otherwise, we aren't letting him get away this time, Sica. I'll involve Yoong if I have to" Taeyeon firmly said and I sighed.

My phone buzzed and this time, it really was work.

"I have to get back to work. But Tae, I almost lost Tiffany once because of Taecyeon. I don't want to be involved"

"What if it's already too late?"

And that question haunted me throughout my entire shift.