Amazing (DOUBLE UPDATE)

As Good As It Gets

“Woohyun, Woohyun, how do I look?”

Nam Woohyun doesn’t even look up from his phone. “You look fine,” he says in what he hopes to be a reassuring tone. However, it’s the thousandth time he’s said those particular words, so he probably comes off as patronizing.

Thankfully, Sunggyu, too absorbed in his own nervousness, doesn’t notice anything. “,” he moans, clutching his perfectly-made hair. “I don’t know how I’m going to keep myself from jumping him.”

Woohyun hopes Sunggyu doesn’t get any makeup or hair gel on his suit; he’s wearing all white (even though he’s technically the groom). Howon had insisted on it, and Sunggyu knew the outfit brought him back to their first date. That’s why Howon was wearing all black.

(Now, Sunggyu being the groom was his own doing; after all, he’s older, so he should be the man in the relationship, right?)

Sunggyu nearly laughs at that, but then his heart starts pounding again at the thought of Howon, and he sinks down onto the couch with a shaky groan.

“Look here,” Woohyun interrupts quite rudely, thoroughly done with his best friend by this point. “Do you love him or not?”

“Of course I do!” Sunggyu looks hurt that Woohyun might even suggest otherwise. “I love him so much-”

“Then stop being so nervous,” Woohyun cuts in, as gently as he can manage. “He’s still going to love you no matter what, despite your looking like - which, by the way, you don’t - because that’s love. You love him, and he loves you, and that’s enough. Now ing breathe.”

Sunggyu stares at Woohyun, opens his mouth, closes it, and buries his face in the couch pillows. Woohyun thinks he hears a muffled thanks, but he’s too busy feeling sorry for the pillows; they now have ridiculous makeup stains on them.

“Sunggyu, Woohyun!” Myungsoo, a dashing young adult, bursts into the room, eyes shining with anticipation. “Time for you to go out!”

Despite all circumstances (and what Woohyun’s just said), Sunggyu grabs his best friend, screams in his face, and squares his shoulders. “Let’s do this,” he says shakily, hands trembling. Myungsoo leaves, satisfied, and silently, Woohyun reaches over to straighten Sunggyu’s bowtie.

, Sunggyu thinks as they walk out to Canon in D. There are way too many people here. He is never going to be able to say his vows.

“Pretend they’re all rabbits,” Woohyun whispers. “Stuffed animals, vegetables, anything.”

, Sunggyu couldn’t have picked a better best man. Well, not like there was anyone to choose from anyway, since Howon had already called dibs on Dongwoo for man of honor.

“Turn around.” Sunggyu bets that Woohyun’s lips don’t even move as he hisses the instructions. “Hands clasped in front. Try to smile. Don’t look like you’re dying. Now wait like a good boy.”

--

He can’t take it. He’s seriously considering tearing his hair out, throwing open the doors and running out screaming. Howon absolutely hates Canon in D. It’s the worst song to ever exist, and Pachelbel should have burned the manuscript.

“Relax,” Dongwoo chirps, flitting around Howon to take care of last-minute problems. “It’s just a song.”

“I am not getting married to this trash,” Howon growls, but his resolve is already weakening. As long as he’s getting married to Sunggyu, nothing really matters in the end.

“Trust me,” Dongwoo placates with a wink. “There’ll be a surprise at the end.”

Howon relaxes, thanking the Lord that Dongwoo, not Woohyun, had been the one to plan the wedding.

“Howon,” Myungsoo calls, swinging his little basket of white rose petals. “It’s time.”

Howon can’t help it; he screams, hoping the organ and that god-awful music will mask his distress. “I’m not ready to see him!” he shouts hoarsely, resisting Dongwoo’s urges to calm him down. “I’m gonna leap on him if he looks hot, which he most definitely will!”

“Alright, it’s okay, shhh,” Dongwoo soothes, putting his hard across Howon’s mouth. “You can jump him after the ceremony. Do it as often as you want for as long as you like; you have a lifetime to do it. Just keep it together for now, okay?”

Weakly, Howon nods, and Myungsoo, hiding a smirk, pushes open the heavy wooden doors.

--

, Sunggyu thinks. He’s been thinking that word way too much today, but it doesn’t matter because he wants to Howon so bad because he looks so ing hot in those black pants and--

Beside him, Woohyun lets out a quiet, surprised ‘ahh’, and that’s when Sunggyu notices.

Howon is holding a bouquet of lilies. White lilies. The kind that smell good. Sunggyu’s favorite.

Sunggyu nearly lets out a whimper. , how could he possibly do this when his husband-to-be is thoroughly ruining him from  the inside out?

But Howon has eyes only for Sunggyu, and as he takes Sunggyu’s offered arm, the look of pure adoration in his eyes makes Sunggyu’s entire world spin.

He barely even registers what the priest says, only murmuring “I do” when time comes. Howon looks like he can’t even make it past the priest with how much he’s trembling.

Despite circumstances, Sunggyu reaches up, running the backs of his fingers along Howon’s cheek. Howon leans into it, eyelids fluttering shut.

Then, suddenly, it’s Sunggyu’s turn to say his vows, and honestly, he can’t even remember what he’d planned. Instead, he takes the microphone, places his hand under Howon’s chin, tilting his gaze up, and begins to speak.

“Do you remember the first time we met?” he asks, smiling softly. Howon nods, tears already streaking down his face. “Yeah, I was just telling Dongwoo how much I wanted to ruin you. What a disaster, wasn’t it?” Howon breaks out into a teary laugh, and Sunggyu chuckles. “Well, I’m glad you overheard me, because I did ruin you, and you also ruined me. Ah, I’m so glad Heechul came today. I should have made him officiate this, hm? Wouldn’t that be a sight?” Sunggyu leans in, pressing their foreheads together. “I love you so much, Lee Howon. You make my heart hurt, and I want to be with you every single second of the day. Don’t you ever forget just how much I love you, because that’s a damn lot.”

Gently, he tries to wipe away Howon’s tears so that he can at least speak, but Howon throws himself into Sunggyu’s chest and stays there, crying, and Dongwoo takes over.

“Actions, oftentimes, speak louder than words,” he reminds softly before turning the microphone back to the priest.

“I now pronounce you husband and, well, husband. You may kiss.”

And suddenly, Sunggyu is stumbling backwards into Woohyun, and Howon’s lips have crashed onto his, and the crowd is cheering, and he is crying, tears mingling with Howon’s. Time freezes in that moment, and Sunggyu is happy.


Hnnnnng I'm crying-- I had so much heartache writing this (mostly because I love writing weddings but also because HOGYU GETTING MARRIED YES) and damn I like to think that I'm good at endings but I was sort of mehhh on this one... what do yall think?