Three.

As Good As It Gets

 

Four days have passed since Sunggyu and Howon’s date at the grocery store, and ever since then, Sunggyu has been in an uncharacteristically good mood.

“So are you dating now?” Dongwoo asks at work, when Heechul is stuck in his office yelling at ignorant parents. “I see those glances, Sunggyu, those touches. They’re much too gentle to be just friendly.”

Normally, Sunggyu would have glared a hole through Dongwoo’s head, but today, he just smiles dreamily, a blush creeping up his cheeks. “I’m going to ask him out today,” he whispers happily. “Just wait, Dongwoo, we will be.”

Dongwoo can’t help giggling; he’s been shipping these two since they first met. He still remember how it happened, and oh boy, was it a mess.

It was a Thursday, the busiest day of the week, and it just happened to be Howon’s first day. As a rule, Woohyun was in charge of training new math employees, but that day, he was swamped in new student applications, so naturally, the job fell upon Sunggyu, the eldest and oldest employee available.

Dongwoo remembers how sweet Howon had seemed to be, and he remembers how, before starting training, Sunggyu had growled that he wanted to ruin that Howon guy, wipe that nervous as look off his face and replace it with one of utter submission, of idolization.

Dongwoo remembers how shocked he had been; he’d never known this side of Sunggyu before. He also remembers Howon’s face when he’d overheard: terrified, confused, and amused. Then, of course, he just had to casually retort back, something about how he could dominate Sunggyu any ing day.

Dongwoo remembers Sunggyu lowering his voice to a dark anger, threatening Howon with telling Heechul about this (who was Heechul going to trust? His long-time employee or some kid who walked in needing money?), but Dongwoo knew that Sunggyu would never have even considered acting upon his words. He remembers Sunggyu actually praising Howon at the end of the day (Sunggyu praises no one), ruffling his hair in affection.

Dongwoo breaks out of his memories with a shake of his head. “Hyung,” he whispers across the table. “Stop staring into space. You’re going to get in trouble.”

Sunggyu snaps out of his daze, grabs the nearest packet, and starts grading furiously. Dongwoo sighs and makes a mental note to take care of Sunggyu’s kids too.

Somehow, someway, the day ends with Sunggyu not exploding, Heechul not yelling, and Dongwoo not dying. Outside, he finds himself sandwiched between Sunggyu and Howon and quickly excuses himself. Dongwoo isn’t really in the mood to witness Sunggyu’s sappiness today.

Besides, he would just text him everything anyway.

--

“You looked dead today,” Howon casually remarks, leaning against the wall beside Dongwoo, who hastily leaves. For the umpteenth time today, Sunggyu thanks his friend and hopes that God gives him a good life.

“Well, I was,” he answers, eyes raking over Howon’s body. “I was thinking about you.”

Howon laughs, showing his prominent canines. “I make you dead inside?”

“Of course.” Sunggyu leans forward and grabs Howon’s face with one hand. “I think about you all the ing time. I think about kissing you, holding hands with you, ing you, running my hands down your perfect body, through your perfect hair. I want to ruin you, Howon - , I still do - so just go out with me.”

For a heart-stopping moment, Howon doesn’t respond, and Sunggyu feels his heart cracking. He thinks he’s made a mistake, but then Howon throws his arms around Sunggyu’s neck, pulls himself in as close as he can, and kisses him.

Sunggyu all but melts, staggering against the wall for support.

It seems like an eternity when they finally break away, and the first thing Sunggyu registers - apart from their shallow breathing and the adorable flush on Howon’s cheeks - is Myungsoo’s cheering and clapping.

The second thing he notices is the silver Honda Civic currently parked in front of them, and the third is the woman driving it.


Pshhh I told you the car didn't have much to do with the story... nonetheless, one more chapter, and then two more extra chapters to go!