Chapter 5: Understand you

Unable

 

 

Time passed quickly as snow stopped falling. The weather became much warmer these days, and people stopped wearing those thick and fur coats, they put on several thin layers instead to keep warm and for fashion either. On the streets, some early blossom flowers were shown up, filled up the city with colors and fragrance, to remind that Spring was going to come over.

 

Despite the beautiful weather and such, those members of Special Mission Forces were really pissed off because they hadn't had any information of that crime group after their failed attempt. The car which Mark and JinYoung spent a day to trace their track and got into its control system ended up being a rented car that never be used by them again. Those guys that Jackson and Bam met on street in front of Mrs. Han house didn't come back there either. With that, they totally lost their track and even the first clue was nothing.

 

In few days, Mark tried to contact Police station in the whole country to ask them if they saw someone or a group of suspicious foreigners but they all said no and promised to call him once they found anything. However, it's nearly a week and Mark hadn't received any incoming calls yet.

 

It's the fifth day after that incident, six of them gathered at their usual meeting room to discuss about their next action plan. They couldn't stay here and waited anymore. In these time, Bam created some nano chipsets that available to input in anything in case they needed it to trace the tracks. He even put it in an earring and was wearing it for 2 days now. YuGyeom was actually extremely interested in this piece and was begging for one from yesterday.

 

“Hey guys!” Mark pat on the table to gather s’ attention. “I have an idea.”

 

The other five stopped all their private stuffs and turned their heads to his direction.

“I know this one may be risky but we have no other choices.” Mark said. “The one and only clue we have at the moment is Mrs Han. She is Han Min’s mother, yes. But she’s also a witness that we must keep in our hand. They must have reasons to meet her and our job is finding out what it is. So I decided to meet her in person.”

 

Mark finished his sentences and YuGyeom was the first one to speak.

“I thought you said we are not allowed to show up yet.” He said confusing. “And what if she wouldn't tell anything or inform her son about us?”

 

“That's why I said it's risky.” Mark sighed. “But everything has its own risks that we have to plan in advance.”

 

“If you have another idea better than that?” JinYoung asked, looking at YuGyeom who was chewing his lips.

 

“I don't.” The younger mumbled.

 

“Let me go there.” Jackson raised his hand. “I was there twice and I don't mind if-”

 

“No.” Mark rejected instantly. “They saw your face last time. JinYoung will come with me today.”


 

---



 

“I thought you would like to go with YuGyeom.” JinYoung said when two of them were already on the road, Mark drove and JinYoung sat at his right. JinYoung noticed Mark often looked at YuGyeom when they were in the meeting room. The youngest one was always eager to do anything assigned and even asked if he was allowed to do this or that. At his young age, JinYoung was like that, too. It’s enthusiastic as well as strength of youth. And he thought that YuGyeom was willing to drive for Mark either since he is incharge of speed in the team. Whilst JinYoung was good at nothing in particular. Even he was a leader before, was the best at that time, he was not sure about himself right now.

 

“Why YuGyeom?” Mark asked back. His eyes were fixed at the road ahead.

 

“Why me then?” JinYoung asked quietly.

 

“What do you worry about?” This time Mark moved his eyes to JinYoung’s side. The younger was looking at window, arms crossed at his chest and his body was so still. It’s a sign of nervousness.

 

“Nothing.” JinYoung replied after a few seconds. Yes, he was not worried. Not at all.

 

Mark giggled a bit at his pouty face before replied. “YuGyeom can help in other situation, this time I need you.” Noticed the younger glanced at him by the corner of his eyes, he continued. “I need someone who’s good at talking and convincing to make Mrs. Han talk without any hesitant. And that’s you.”

 

“How do you know I’m good at that?” JinYoung raised his brows in question.

 

“Because you was once a good Leader.” Mark simply said, but it hit JinYoung hard. The statement Once a good Leader was so sarcastic and painful at the same time. It’s not a praise, isn’t it?

 

“You are now mocking me?”  

“No, not at all.” Mark refused instantly, he said in serious tone voice but somehow it felt so soft. “I want you to show off your skills more, to overcome your past shadow. You are afraid of making mistake, am I right? But that is unpredictable, you make mistake to grow up and be hurt to become stronger. That’s how people live.”

 

If Mark was JinYoung friend, he could cry in tears right in front of him. These words are exactly for him, the one who was always nervous if he could do anything wrong, the one who always doubts his own ability, the one who blamed himself for everything happened, the one who lost all confidence and lived as a loser. He didn’t know Mark would say something like that, like he understands him more than anyone in the world, tells him what he wanted to hear; or just Mark was being a good Leader after all, excellent persuaded skill toward him.

 

Whatever the reason is, JinYoung was touched. If he could make this mission success, he would not regret anything, and being himself for the rest of his life. That sounded so nice, right? And with it, JinYoung beamed a smile at Mark, his eyes were still wet due to his tears that didn’t fall out yet, but they looked like crescents and sparkled like stars. For a second, Mark was lost in his smiling face which he never seen before. JinYoung was like a kid who has been praised and happy more than ever.  And before the younger one turned his head toward the road, Mark’s heart skipped a beat without him even noticing.

 

“Thank you, a lot.”


 

---


 

Bam and YuGyeom went to the coffee vending machines to buy some drinks while YoungJae stayed at the meeting room, trying to find out the car that Han Min used in few days before which they didn’t catch up with. And Jackson called to the rental car shop to check if they have any information about the guy who rented it few days ago.

 

While waiting for the coffee to be made, BamBam leaned on the wall, stared at YuGyeom who was patting his feet  on the floor. The youngest one always seemed innocent and had nothing to worry about, but Bam knew he’s not.

“Why didn't you go with Mark hyung?” Bam raised his voice. “You want to contribute to the mission, don't you?”

 

YuGyeom stared at the first cup of coffee has been made, took it out and selected the next one. “I was about to.” He said. “But Mark wants JinYoung instead.”

 

“When did he say so?” Bam wiggled his eyebrows in curious.

 

“I just knew it.” YuGyeom said smiling. “His eyes said so.”

 

“If you have such kind of ability,” Bam asked in amused. “Can you guess what I’m thinking of just now?”

 

“Jackson hyung?” He replied. It’s like a question rather than a statement, but even with this, it made the latter freeze in his position.


 

---


 

The door cracked opened after Mark knocked a few times. An woman stood behind the door, she looked so old and exhausted. She was wearing pajamas like she had been sleeping the whole morning. She greeted them with a tired smile that made her face grimaced.

 

“Hello, how can I help you?”

 

“Good afternoon, Mrs Han. We are policemen from Seoul, we want to ask you some questions if you don't mind.”

 

At hearing of police, her face suddenly turned pale. She looked at Mark in fear and JinYoung swore that her hands were shaken a bit before gesturing them to come in.

 

Mark and JinYoung exchanged their gazes for a second. Mark walked fast to catch up with Mrs Han, observed her actions to prevent any suspicious movements. Whilst JinYoung slowly followed behind, silently looking around the house with something in his palm.

 

“What do you want to ask?” Mrs Han said when sitting at the coffee table in the living room, Mark at her opposite and JinYoung on her left.

 

“Have you tried to contact Han Min?” Mark asked carefully, watching her expression. “Someone saw him recently.”

 

“N-not … not at all.” She stuttered and looked away. “I haven't seen him.”

 

“We are trying to-”

Mark closed his eyes for a second, breathed deeply before opened his mouth but JinYoung was quicker, he leaned forward and looked at Mrs Han with his soft and caring gaze.

“Mrs Han, don't you miss your son?”

 

She didn't expect to hear this from a man who called himself a police. The way he asked was so honest and full of worry like he really cared for her. It's been a long time since the last time someone asked about her feelings. During all those years being alone and had nothing from her son, she felt like dead inside. And now when her son came back in just a moment, then disappeared again as fast as he gone, her mental became so weak and fragile that could be broken anytime. Just by a personal question like that, she corrupted immediately.

 

Her tears were falling. From Mark’ view, he only saw the top of her head and her shaking shoulders. JinYoung sighed slightly, took the napkin on the table and gave them to her. It made her cry but it's one of JinYoung’s strategies.

 

“Are you alright?” He asked, tilting his head to look at her face. She nodded in reply, still sobbing when stole a glance at JinYoung.

 

“I miss him.” She said crying. “He said he will come to me after everything is settled down. But who knows when? Those guys never stop doing dangerous things-”

 

“You know them?” JinYoung kept asking short and simple questions when she still fluttered.

 

“Yes. One of them came here last week.” She mumbled under his breath. “They are searching for weap-”

 

She suddenly shut closed like she realized what she is talking about. JinYoung continued staring at her, waiting for her to finish sentences.

“Ah nothing.” She refused to say more.


 

As knowing she had spitted out what she shouldn’t, Mrs Han rejected to answer any questions from Mark and especially JinYoung. She kept her eyes fixed on the table surface, ignored what these policemen asked and  even told them to leave as she had other thing to do later. The two had no reasons to stay, and left after few minutes.

 

“This is exactly what I’m afraid of.” Mark said when they were in his car. “She knows somethings but rejected to cooperate with us. And we couldn’t arrest her at this time since it will hit the criminals.”

 

“Do you think she would tell them about this?” JinYoung took something out of his pocket, didn’t look at Mark when he replied by another question.

 

“Not sure either.” He started the engine. “But I hope that they would showed up at least. We ran out of clues already.”

 

“Let’s check then.” JinYoung smirked, put an earring on Mark’ right ear at the latter’s surprise. “It suited you well, you know?”

 

“What’ this?” Mark raised his voice when he heard a strange vibration.

 

“A bug.” JinYoung smiled while adjusting the earring shape machine on Mark. “BamBam gave me before we left. I put one inside Mrs Han’s cell phone to track her phone calls. And this one-” He was done with its setting, letting off Mark’ ear. “For you to check them.”

 

During the time JinYoung's fingers touched his ear, Mark couldn't deny a strange feeling that ran over his body. He sat straight up, didn't move a bit until the younger was done. He even felt that his ears would turn red already but hoped that the latter wouldn't notice. He didn't have time to figure out what kind of feelings is this when he heard a clear sound that went straight to his lobe.

 

“I don't know, Han Min ah. But they said they are police from Seoul. Are you-”

“Don't worry Mom. We will handle this. Love you.”

And it ended by a hang up sound.

 

“I guess we are in danger now, JinYoung.”


 

---


 

Jackson stood up from his seat, stretched his tired arms and tried to relaxed his shoulders after hours working with data and numbers. These were not his strength, he was always bad at maths at High school and even skipped those classes whenever he had chances. However YoungJae said that he couldn't do it alone and the two youngest ones were too quick to run out of the room, willing to treat them coffee then disappeared for one hour already. So Jackson had no choices other than stayed here and supported YoungJae with all of his abilities. So don’t have to say how thankful he was when YuGyeom and Bam came back with four cups of coffee on their hands.

 

“Any news from Mark and JinYoung hyung?” Bam asked when he sat down at their meeting table. “They should went back by now, shouldn't they?”

 

“Not yet.” Jackson replied, took a sip of his coffee and closed his eyes to enjoy.

 

Suddenly their phone went off. Jackson was the one who sat near it the most. He took the phone and answered by his normal voice.

“Hello. This is-”

“ off Jackson.” That is Mark’ voice, it sounded so rushed. “We need back up!”

“Mark? Where are you? What do-?”

When Jackson hadn't finished his sentences, he heard a gunshot loudly and it felt as closed as right near his ear.

“!”

The whole team was panic. It's like they were in a gunfight with someone and they seemed so strong.

“A red Ferrari is following us on the Southern street. They seem to try killing us.” Mark quickly said. “JinYoung is fighting against them. We need your help!”

“Got it!” Jackson took his guns. “Be there in 10 minutes.” Then he turned to YuGyeom. “It's your show time, man.”

 

 

 

End chapter 5

---------------------

It's been a long time, right? I'm back with a new chapter and Happy birthday to our Mark Tuan.