Chapter 1: Found you

Unable

“Don't you think again?” The young man sat across the table questioned the third time in a row, despite the latter seemed not paying attention to.

 

“Two more beer, please!” Someone yelled over the room, and the guy behind the table responded instantly.

 

“Coming.”

 

The said guy took 2 bottles from a fridge beside, flipped them into the tray and walked over the young man who only could sigh by being ignored. He was assigned to come and ask the guy to return to where he used to be, but maybe he was too easy to play or the guy was too hard to get that they hadn't come to the point yet.

 

“Are you done here? I have to clean up.” The guy had been back to the table and took the cloth out from his shoulder, started cleaning the tables.

 

“You just need to answer-”

“I said No.” The guy firmly declined as he was too tired of hearing the questions over and over.

“Even the special treat?” The young man still didn't give up, attacked with more advantages. “If this mission succeeded, that used to be your house will be your again, and your crime will be deleted from government’s files permanently.”

“Stop it! Jackson!” The guy violently slapped the table, made his tray falling down with a noisy sound. “Even with those, I refuse, still.”

Someone in the room was startled by the cracking sound and turned their heads to this direction. Jackson lowered his head to hide his disappointment while the guy tried to calm himself down by few deep breathings. He didn't want to yell at his former friend, just his emotions were too strong at that time. He’s never wanted to return there due to the guilt he felt for them.

 

I’m sorry.” Jackson breathed out. “JinYoung ah.”


 

This was JinYoung’s current home. The old and poor house that he used for a tiny shop that served poor people, who earned no more than 5 dollars or even nothing per day, supported them freely by his heart despite his low incomes from running a business like this. There were some gangsters too, who needed a safe and covered place to trade their things. But they wouldn't do any harm if you just keep your mouth shut. So in general, everything was fine here.

 

JinYoung rent a small apartment in the next building. It’s actually not a real building, just a little big house with 2 floors compared to other tiny houses around. The owner is an old woman who lives in one room on the first floor, watching TV every day and rarely go outside. She is old but never forget anything, especially the rental money each month which made JinYoung always adored of.

 

“Good evening, mother.” JinYoung greeted when coming back from his work. It’s just 6pm and the old woman was quite surprised to see him at that hour.

“How come you finish so early today? Not sold well?”

“No, too well to be rest earlier.” JinYoung smiled behind his scarf, took few steps to get near her. “Did you have dinner?”

“Already. I would get hungry soon.” She laughed and tapped his hands away. “Did someone go to your shop today?” She suddenly said. “He came here and asked if you are here so-”

“I met him.” He replied.

“Who's that? Your long lost friend or something? I haven't seen him before.”

“Kind of.” He said, and after a few seconds, added. “Next time please tell them you don't know if someone asked for me?”

 

JinYoung turned around and walked to the stairs that leads to his room. The old woman was watching TV and suddenly called out. “Don't forget to hand me the rental fee tomorrow.”

“Okay.” He said laughing.


 

Taking a shower with hot water after a long day is a way to release stress. JinYoung did the same. Today was not a normal day for him. After 5 years, he met Jackson again and it reminded him about the ugly memories he had 5 years ago. It was him, still Park JinYoung at that time, with his top grades of any competition, top skills among the whole college. He was just basically the best of the best. But something happened, and everything changed gradually, included himself. He was not him anymore, not that excellent Park JinYoung he used to be proud of, but the Park JinYoung he hated and scared of in his whole life. Now he just wanted to live normally, like all people in this area, forget all painful memories and start a new life. No one here knows his past, and he’s happy with that.

 

The winds growled outside of the windows. JinYoung leaned into the glass, looked at the lonely tree out there. It was cover in white by snow falling today. It must be cold and tired, but it had no other choices rather than standing there, suffered all the natural difficulty by itself to be stronger and stronger. And no doubt it would always succeeds, grew bigger, taller stronger. That is its result of trying.

But JinYoung was unable to do the same. He scared to be failed again, to be hurt again and on top of that, his scar doesn't let him to do anything. He was such a loser.

 

---

 

“Leader, I’m back.”

Jackson closed the door behind his back, stayed standing while waiting for his leader to reply. The leader was right in front of the bid window, looking at the city outside where all the lights lit up with various colors. The light was weak when it reached this room, but he still looked like to be covered in magical aura.

“How is it?”

“He refused to come.”

“What a stone head.” The leader sighed, turned around to see Jackson and lifted his lips a bit. “Thank you anyway.”

“No problem.” He replied, but didn't seem comfortable at all. “He has his own reasons.”

“I know.”

“Can we replace him with another guy with the same skill? I think we can find one in our industry.”

“The point is can you find someone who has the same skills?” The leader emphasized his last words. “You know better than anyone.”

“Maybe, if we have luck.” Jackson mumbled.

“So you can try.” His leader gave an approval. “But could you give me his address?”

 

---

 

The door creaking opened when someone entered shop. The cold winter winds came first, weakly flapped onto his face, slided into his hair and rushed into his nostril. He felt fresh and somehow perky than normal. Glanced at the young man who groggy walked into this direction, JinYoung realized his gray coat was flecked wet, maybe because of snow. He leaned on the table, lifted his eyes to look at JinYoung and grinned.

“As usual.”

“Hey, you haven’t paid for last time yet.” JinYoung was cleaning the cups, didn’t notice the young man’s eyes were glued to a wine bottle behind him.

“I won’t run away.” He promised. “I will pay you once I have money.”

“How can you pay me, JaeBum?” JinYoung helpless smiled. “You even don’t have work. How do you have money?”

However, he still turned around to take the wine bottle out, shook it in front of JaeBum.

“Just one shot, OK?”

“Can I have two?” JaeBum begged.

“Don’t haggle.” JinYoung firmly said.

“Ok then.”

 

It’s like every afternoon in this shop. Some customers came with no money at all, but they needed something, drink or food, and JinYoung always gave them. He may run out of money if he keep doing that but it also the best way to pay for what he did in the past. Although he will never pay enough for it, he would do everything for others to reduce his guilty feeling that always growl in his heart.

“I definitely will pay you back.”

“OK. just drink.”

JaeBum slowly sipped on his drink while looking at JinYoung who was quickly cleaning the shop. He was quick as usual, he did everything quickly and quietly, just like his life.

“How can you live if running a business like this?” JaeBum wondered.

“You are the one who asks this?” JinYoung can’t stop laughing, took his cloth out and slap to the latter back. “Quickly pay me back if you care.”

“Got it! Ah! Ouch!” He cried loudly and tried to avoid the attack. “Don’t hit me! Ah!”

 

At the same time, the door once again creaking opened. There was someone behind the door. Both JaeBum and JinYoung turned their heads to look at the new guest. He wore a black hat that covered half of his face, the other half was hidden behind his white scarf. The navy coat was long, down to his knees and his pair of leather boots are shining black. From head to toe he looked like a rich person, and obviously he was not belonged to this place. That’s strange.

 

“Are you Park JinYoung?” The rich man lifted his head to ask, JinYoung can see his eyes, the sharp one.

“How can I help you?” He replied with a bit caution.

The rich man took his card from his coat pocket and showed it to JinYoung. He didn’t let it shown for long, just two seconds for him to have enough information.

“I have something to ask, if you have time.” He politely said with no emotion.

“My pleasure, Mr. Tuan.”


 

JinYoung led Mark to his rental apartment instead of talking in his shop. He didn’t want anyone there heard about the story and it’s not a right place to discuss about confidential issue. He knew Mark didn’t come to take a look only.

The old woman was watching TV when the pair came. She nodded and hummed when JinYoung greeted, didn’t know there was a stranger came along. The stair led to his room was as old as this house, and dirty as no one want to clean up. But his room is opposite. When the door opened, the first thing that Mark saw was a small empty room. One single bed, one chair, one tiny desk in case he has something to do. And that’s all. It didn’t look like someone lived there.

 

JinYoung sit on the only chair in the room, let Mark standing in front of him. And weirdly that it didn’t look awkward at all.

“You can go straight to the point.” JinYoung said.

“As you already know, I want you to come back to-”

“You have my answer.” JinYoung interrupted. “Jackson told you already.”

“But our mission will not succeed if don’t have you.” Mark patiently convinced. “You are the most skilled one.”

“What do you expect from an ex-prisoner?” JinYoung smirked. “After 5 years of doing nothing, you think I can be compared to the one who well trained all the time? Are you kidding me?”

Mark was not be affected by his sarcasm tone of voice, kept saying what he planned. “So what if we make a bet?”

“A bet?” JinYoung confused.

“You will compete me.” Mark said. At the same time, he took of his coat, his scarf and also his hat. JinYoung realized he such a good looking man.

“For what?”

“If you win, I won’t bother you anymore.” Mark simply said. “But if you lose, you will come with me.”

“It sounds strange, Mr. Tuan.” JinYoung was more confusing.

“So you need to try more.” He smiled, the bright smile that doesn’t match his image at all.

 

JinYoung was deeply thinking. He was on top of everything 5 years ago. He never lose in any competitions. At that time, he would proudly state that no one can beat him. But it’s different now. The rich man in front of him is the new Leader of Special Mission Forces, and his skills indeed are no joke. JinYoung couldn’t predict the result, and it made him scared somehow. He was afraid of being failed, and he was afraid of coming back there.

“You first.” Mark said.

 

The old woman was startled by thumped and cracking sounds above her head. She wondered what JinYoung did to be so noisy up there. He was known to be quiet and gentle every time, so it would be so weird  that the noise coming out from his room. However, the old woman didn’t care more, she just thought maybe he was exercising or moving his stuffs. Then she stopped questioning when those sounds stopped after a while.

 

JinYoung ended up lying on his stomach, his face was pressed into the floor. Mark was above him, with his knee over JinYoung’s nape and JinYoung’s left hand was twisted behind his back, unable to move.

“You lose.” Mark said, let him out. “Let’s meet in the next 2 days.”

JinYoung didn’t say anything. Mark put on his coat and his scarf, his hat covered half of his face again before he disappeared behind the door, leaving JinYoung in freezing state. For some reasons, he found himself cried unknowingly.

 

---

 

Mark was in the middle of shooting practice. He was alone here for one hour or more, and didn't notice the appearance of anyone until he finished. The aimed objects were shot continuously, they were moving around every time but he managed to shot them all, and most of them were in the center spots, meant that they would all dead immediately if they were alive. The large room was full of gun powders smells, and it made him pretty excited.

 

Until he let go of his gun, Jackson was behind, leaning on the wall and staring at the dead objects with no emotion. He was waiting for Mark for 2 hours and it’s not the longest time he experienced so far.

“The Prime Minister was waiting for you.”

“Got it, thanks.”

 

He took off his gloves and walked over Jackson. But he suddenly stood up straight, turned his head to look into Mark’s eyes.

“Are you sure JinYoung will come?”

“One hundred percent sure.” And with that, he went out of the room. Jackson didn't know why he was so firm about that, but somewhere in his heart hoped there would be nothing wrong since he sensed something insecurity.

 

---

 

The room was dark and extremely cold in this kind of weather. When Mark finally stood in front of the main door, he didn't hear any sounds coming from inside as no one there. But when he pushed it opened, welcome him was a small table in the center of the room, a lamp that shined a tiny part of the table where a cup of tea lonely there, it's still hot as he could see steaming over the cup. And on top of it, there was a man sitting on one side and his face was covered in darkness.

“Sorry for letting you wait for so long.”

Mark said when he sat on the other side of the table.

“Don't mind.” The Prime Minister said, his hands put on the table’s surface. “How’s your team going?”

“Would be completed in the next 2 days.”

“Great.” Prime Minister lowered his voice a bit, and it made the room even colder. “Remember to keep it confidentially. This would have a strong impact for our President, so keep your mouth shut.”

“I always.”

“As this is a national level mission, don't hesitate to ask if you need our support.”

“Thanks. We will note that.”

“Good luck for your mission.” The Prime Minister said, he sounded like being smiling a bit.

Mark was left alone after Prime Minister went out. And he kept thinking about the mission he is going to take care of. It's dangerous and full of risk, and of course he wouldn't do it alone.

 

 

 

 

 

End chapter 1