Chapter 2: Return

Unable

JinYoung appeared in the center of Special Mission Forces two days later. This place seemed not changed much from the last time he saw but he knew it would never be the same as before.

 

Coming back here is not as easy as he self-convinced to do. Leaving his shop, his usual customers as well as the old woman that he called mother is not easy either. She asked countless time about the reason he left but the answer could only be personal matter. JinYoung once asked her to take care of his shop while he’s not there but she refused. Not that the old woman didn’t like it or turned down his favor but she is too old for that, and she didn’t like the smells of those men who drunk all day as well as meeting stranger. She prefered TV to everything.

 

JinYoung didn’t want to close his shop. He needed someone who can take over it and support the poor people like he usually did so far, someone he can trust, someone that loved this place the same as he did. And that’s no other than JaeBum.

 

JaeBum is his regular customer. Although he hasn’t paid for what he drank yet, JinYoung still believed that he is the right person for this position. The next morning when JaeBum came to ask for one cup, JinYoung suggest him to help him to run this shop. And surprisingly, he agreed instantly. No need to be genius to understand that JaeBum accept this request because he could drink as much as he wants without paying anything. It could be a risk for JinYoung’s original shop but he decided to to do anyway. JaeBum seemed not to be an irresponsible person in his point of view. And therefore, everything was settled.


 

Jackson welcomed him by a tight and long lasting hug that he thought he could die immediately. He didn’t know what Jackson felt at that time, but he knew Jackson was crying. Not kind of baby cries but he absolutely did. Because when he looked at Jackson after the hug, his eyes were red and a bit watery. And he knew it’s not just because of missing.

 

“Glad that you returned.” Jackson tapped his shoulders continuously. “JinYoung ah.”

“Sorry for-”

“No.” Jackson interrupted before JinYoung could say anything. “Don’t be sorry for anything. I’m right here and I don’t need any apology from you. They do, too.”

“Jackson-” He couldn’t form his words. They all knew everything was in the past and no point to mention again.

“Let’s go. Our Leader is waiting for you, so are the team.”


 

---

 

Jackson led him to a big meeting room inside the center. It’s not just a room, it’s a room full of modern technical equipments that used for their missions. JinYoung was overwhelmed by hơ great they are before he realized there are some people sitting around the table.

 

“Hi guys. Our team is full now.”

Jackson said, slightly pushed JinYoung inside while nodding with their Leader - Mark Tuan. The leader was standing in front of a large screen and doing something with the computer beside. He smiled in return and gestured them to sit.

 

“You must be Park JinYoung.” A slim guy on the left of Jackson said when they took the empty seats left in the room. He looked young and kind of cute, considered his sparkling eyes and his innocent smile. “My name is BamBam, You can call me Bam-”

JinYoung was about to reply when Mark suddenly cleared his throat to interrupt their random conversation. All the guys turned their heads to his direction immediately and fully focused on him.

 

“So this is your team from now on. And for confidential matter, our team is called S. I’m your team leader, Mark Tuan and will be in charge of this position until the mission completed. And so are you.” Mark started with his formal voice, same as the one that JinYoung heard two days ago. He suddenly thought if Mark can talk in more comfortable voice or not.

 

“You all are not allowed to spit any secret information or leak it to other. Unless you want to be dead in silent.” Mark paused, walked over the computer to sit at the table with others. “You may know me already but not others. So please introduce yourselves. One by one.” He straightened his back, put two arms on the surface and looked at Jackson first.

 

“OK. My name is Jackson. I’m in charge of shooter of the team. Not being self praise but I’m better than all of you, included our Leader.”

The guys loudly exclaimed at Jackson’s phrase, but Mark didn’t protest, Jackson indeed is the best at using gun.

 

“I’m BamBam.” The slim guy quickly raised his voice. “Just Bam is OK. I’m specialized at hardware and producing things.” He smiled proudly as one guy in the opposite clapped his hands in amaze.

 

“You can make those devices?” The said guy asked excitedly.

“Yes.”

“OK, next one.” Mark once again interrupted to stop two young guys talking unnecessary things.

 

“Hello. I’m in charge of software and technical things - Choi YoungJae.” The guy sat at the center simply said. He looked smart and calm. But JinYoung was sure that he is a type of joyful one, considered his way of smiling.

 

“I’m the youngest here - Kim YuGyeom.” The last guy said smiling. “You may not believe but I’m in charge of speed in our team. Car is like a part of my body.”

 

“That’s good to hear.” Mark concluded as he saw this young guy could ramble for a long time if no one stop him. “And, the last member?”

 

JinYoung stared at him for a few seconds before softly said. “Park JinYoung. Nice to meet you all.”

 

“What’s your best skill?” Bam raised his hand as kids in elementary school. “What are you best at?”

 

Jackson glanced at Mark who slightly frowned at the question before secretly holded JinYoung hand under the table. It’s hard for him to say it loudly, especially in front of new members of Special Mission Forces when he didn’t get familiar with them at all. Not everyone here knew his story and he didn’t have plan to share it neither.

Jackson squeezed JinYoung hand a bit to reassure him and replied instead. “This guy is good at everything, right? JinYoung ah?”

 

“OK, we do not have much time this morning, so it’s enough for introducing.” Mark stopped them all and JinYoung silently thanked Mark for what he did, of course it’s the power of Leader. “Let’s start with the mission.”

 

Mark stood up and went to his computer, opened something then a list of profiles displayed in the big screen. Five of them, mostly foreigner and only one looked Asian, or Korean in particular.

“You are now looking at the international most wanted criminals. This crime group was Interpol’s target recently. There was an unofficial report that they are now in Korea. We still don’t know what they are going to do here, but since one of them is Korean, he has to be the one who connects this group with any local organizations.”

 

“So what do we do?” Jackson asked directly.

“Support Interpol to catch them, prevent their activities in Korea.”

“But we have no idea what their purpose to go to Korea.” YoungJae raised his voice.

“Then must find out.” Mark said. “Please keep in mind that you are one of the best of Special Mission Forces and you can do everything!” He emphasized.

“Got it, sir.” Jackson chuckled.

“Nothing is funny here, Jackson.” Mark reminded. This was not a situation where they can joke about. “Now I want you guys to remember all their faces. You are not allowed to mistake them with others.”

 

JinYoung was staring at the big screen emotionlessly. This was so familiar yet so strange. This was what he did till five years ago. Everything clearly presented in his head: the missions, the criminals’ profiles, the plan, the strategy, the discussion and even argument among the team. He felt like being in those years, being up there to talk about their next important mission that could affect the whole nation, how excited and enthusiastic they were, how disappointed and desperate when something went wrong, how happy and proud when they made it. JinYoung thought that he forgot all of them, or tried to erase all of them from his memories but actually not. He remembered them well, too well that he didn’t dare to touch unless he would broke into tears and complexity. He thought he could overcome his trauma after 5 years apart but no, he’s unable to do. Seeing the same place with the same activities made him exhausted, both mentally and physically. He was getting scarier each seconds in this room until he found himself standing up in others’ surprise and fleeing out despite Jackson’s out of voice behind.

 

“Let me take him back.” Jackson worriedly said, was about to stand up then Mark stopped him.

“No, it’s OK. Get him to his room. You guys can dismiss now.”

 

“What about-” YoungJae lifted his hand, pointed at the big screen which showing criminals’ profiles.

“Let’s discuss later, after lunch.” Mark simply said, closed his note and turned off the computer. “See you.”


 

---


 

Three guys were walking in bright corridors , shoulders by shoulders. YuGyeom kept looking at his foot, Bam lowered his eyes and sometimes glanced at Jackson who was walking forward while YoungJae was busy with his note taken from the previous meeting. JinYoung’s reaction was weird in their eyes and all of them were really curious about his situation as well as his relation with Jackson. But they just rarely met and knew nothing about each others, no one wanted to cross the line with risks. Jackson looked sad, extremely sad that didn’t notice someone called him from behind.

 

“Jackson hyung.” Bam was walking parallel with him, his hand on Jackson’s arm as he leaned closer. “Is JinYoung hyung fine? He looked weak.”

“He’s fine.” Jackson replied, he forced a smile to reassure the younger. This was not what they have to worry about. “I will look after him so don’t worry. Go to your room and take a rest.”

With that, he turned at the next corner before waving to his fellow team members and disappeared. They have two hours for a break before another meeting this afternoon. So the three youngest didn’t have to think twice to head to their rooms and took a nap.


 

JinYoung was found sitting in the center’s backyard, behind the shooting practice room. When Jackson went there, JinYoung stopped crying but his eyes were all swollen and red. He sat on the ground, arms around his legs and his face buried in his knees. Jackson didn’t say anything, he just sat there, tapped on JinYoung’s shoulders and put his head onto JinYoung back. He noticed JinYoung was shaken, not sure by crying or scaring. He hold JinYoung tightly in his arms, and raised his voice which became lower and hoarser than normal.

“Are you scared?”

“Yes…” JinYoung whispered under his breath. “Ah … no.” He shook his head slightly. “I don’t know, Jackson. I don’t know.”

He was about to cry again, but Jackson hugged him instantly and kept patting his back like a mother appeased his baby. “It’s OK, you have me.”

“I thought--” JinYoung sobered. “I thought I can overcome my fear and do well. But seem like I’m not that brave. I can’t-”

“No.” Jackson mumbled, his hand caressed JinYoung’s hair. “Don’t say that. You need to rest first, then everything will be fine.”

JinYoung followed Jackson to his room and hoped that everything will be fine as Jackson said. But maybe it’s not as fine as he expected.


 

---



 

It’s 3PM in the afternoon and everyone all gathered in the same meeting room except JinYoung. Jackson told that he was exhausted from his overwhelmed feeling that he couldn’t make it today. Three youngest guys were totally fine with that since they somehow have a soft heart for him but Mark was not. Although he didn’t show any anger or madness at them that afternoon, they still felt his coldness bolder than before.

 

“I will talk to him tonight. This will not happen again.” Mark simply said before turning on his computer to show some information.

“So as discussed this morning, the one and only clue we have right now is Han Min as he is Korean. Do you have any ideas how to trace their track?”

“Does he have any relatives? If any, he must contact them sometimes.” YoungJae tapped his pen to the table, lifted his eyes to meet Mark’s.

“He has. But not many as you think. His mother lives in Mokdong but he hasn’t contacted her for years, maybe from the time he joined the criminals.” Mark replied while looking at the guy’s profile.

“But still worth to check. She is the only one we have right now.” Jackson added. Maybe she knows nothing, maybe all her information are outdated but they have nothing to cling on at the moment.

“Who volunteer?” Mark asked.

“Let me do this.” BamBam raised his hand, the young one is always eager to do everything.

“OK.” Mark approved, and pointed at Jackson who lazily sat beside. “You go with him, in case anything could go wrong.”

“Yes, sir.” Jackson replied, stood up and turned around to walk out of the room.

“Right now?” BamBam widened his eyes at Jackson’s reaction, it’s too fast. “I didn’t-”

“Let’s go.” Jackson waggled his pointer finger. “Time is precious. I’m going to take the car.”

---



 

It’s 9PM and JinYoung was up after a long nap. He didn’t think he could sleep that long but it might helpful since he didn’t feel tired as this morning. He decided to take a shower first, before asking Jackson for the meeting this afternoon and the mission’s details.

 

The hot water came down to his head, made him feel relaxed a bit. His eyes were still dry and red after too much crying today. That’s not what he wanted but the fear and guilt took over his body and did not let him do anything. He closed his eyes, was reminding himself about what he should do then he heard a loud slam of front door and heavy steps coming closer. That’s not Jackson, he never showed his bad side in front of JinYoung since he knew JinYoung’s situation so well.

JinYoung was wondering who that was then the bathroom’s door was swung opened. The steam of hot water made JinYoung’s vision become blur that he didn’t recognize the man in front. But the next seconds after, he regretted that he didn’t respond earlier. The man slammed him into the marble wall behind, his head was bang with a loud thump and hot water went directly into his nostrils made him choked hardly and hurt in pain..

 

“Who-” JinYoung managed to exclaim.

“What are you going to do here?” A cold and chilly voice raised, made JinYoung’s body shivering even he was under hot water. That was Mark - his team Leader, the one who beated him under his knee just two days ago.

 

 

 

 

 

End Chapter 2

---

 

How do you feel about these 2 chapters? I will write the next chapter later. Tell me your opinion to make it better. Thank you ^^