Chapter 4: The first clue

Unable

After lunch, YoungJae, YuGyeom and BamBam went to shooting practice room. Mark said that he would inform them once he and JinYoung were done with their task, so they could go anywhere they wanted. YuGyeom suggested to take a nap, as he didn’t sleep well last night but YoungJae pushed the two youngest one to this room by an advise that they should improve their skills in free time, not play around for no reasons. And then they all presented here, sat on the floor while looking at Jackson who crazily shot at moving targets and seemed not stop any minutes.

 

“What’s wrong with him?” YoungJae silently asked at the back, leaned on YuGyeom’s shoulders. “He seems not in good mood from this morning.”

 

“I don’t know.” YuGyeom shook his head, blinked rapidly to shake off sleepiness out of his body while lifted his hand to cover his yawning. “He was like that from yesterday.”

 

BamBam didn’t say anything. He was staring at Jackson and the sandwiches which he bought an hour ago lying on the table behind. It’s obviously for people in the meeting room - Mark and JinYoung. However, he didn’t bring it there but threw it randomly that meant there was something that made him change his mind. BamBam just guessed the reason, but he ensured that it related to JinYoung.

 

“Hey, Jackson hyung.” BamBam stood up, took a few steps to stand beside Jackson and threw his arm over Jackson’s shoulders, glanced at his reaction before open his mouth. “Wanna go to Mokdong?”

 

Both YoungJae and YuGyeom lifted their heads to look at BamBam. Is that a way to comfort an angry man or what? Jackson was quite surprised and confused too, but he didn’t reject. “What’s for?”

 

“To see Han Min a bit.” BamBam smirked, titled his head and met Jackson’s eyes straightly.

“Why do you need to see him?” YuGyeom suddenly raised his voice. “Mark and JinYoung are working with the car, and we are not allowed to show up until-”

 

“I promised he will not see us.” BamBam interrupted. To be honest he didn’t want to see Han Min at all, he just used a random reason to pull Jackson out of this state. And Han Min was just a good reason, it’s a work after all. Who can deny their hard working spirit, huh? “You heard that, we are supposed to take action, not wait for results, right?”

The last word was for Jackson, as he winked at him at that moment. Then Jackson gave up, he let off his gun, turned around to face Youngjae and YuGyeom before walking to the front door. BamBam’s arm fell off at the moment Jackson took a first step, he chuckled, waved at the two remained sitting on the floor and followed Jackson outside.

 

“Hey YuGyeom.” Jackson called back when he and BamBam disappeared behind the door. “Take those sandwiches to JinYoung for me. Thank you.”


 

---


 

When YuGyeom found his way back to the meeting room, JinYoung and Mark were taking a break. They sat around their table and did their own things, like they were just acquaintances who met each other for work only and would forget after their tasks got done. And it's what really happened right now. JinYoung stared at the window which opened to the backyard, observed snow flakes falling down and covering the ground in white. He thought of nothing, didn't bother to question where Jackson was going and why he didn't come back, as well as his promise to bring JinYoung’s lunch few hours ago. He somehow remembered those days at his rented house, the old woman would ask him take a look at her heater when hot water didn't come out, or help her to fix the TV which got broken once or twice a month. Those days were the most peaceful time in his life that he treasured the most.

 

Mark sat at the next seat, enjoying his black coffee while rearranged his papers. And sometimes during his task, he would glance at the young man who sat at the window. Mark heard something not really nice about that man at the time he started work in this Force. He didn't know what exactly happened to him, but on top of that, no one denied that man’s talents and skills as he’s the most excellent agent out there. And Mark was too curious to find out about him, until he finally had chance to meet him in person.

He had to say that it's a little bit disappointed when JinYoung didn't show any abilities at first, and even was too bad at handling his emotions as well as his health. Therefore he was quite angry and mad at him last night. But seeing JinYoung was proactive and seemed not keep that in mind, he changed his opinion completely.

 

“Jackson told me to give you this, JinYoung hyung.”

YuGyeom said when he swinged the door opened. Two people in the room sat separately from each other and somehow it felt awkward yet quiet. He went straight to JinYoung who was leaning on the window and handed him the sandwiches. JinYoung asked Mark if he wanted to share but he just shook his head as rejection.

 

“Where is Jackson?” JinYoung asked when he took the first bite, glanced at YuGyeom who lazily laid on the table.

 

“He and Bam went to Mokdong.” YuGyeom replied. “To see Han Min a bit.” He repeated Bam’s words exactly. He expected Mark or JinYoung to surprise or at least react a bit, but they just nodded like they knew it already.

 

“Whose idea then?” Mark asked in his calm voice. It’s so low and husky but not as cold as what he sounded before.

 

“Bam’s.” YuGyeom said. And after few seconds, he added. “Jackson hyung seems irritated for some reasons, so Bam asked him to come along.”

 

Mark turned his head to YuGyeom’s direction and met JinYoung’s gaze instantly. They were staring for a second before broke it, but it's not unnoticed by YuGyeom who was full of curious just now.

 

“Do you know why?”


 

---


 

Bam stopped his car at the same spot as the last time they went to Mokdong, his chin was on his palm as he tilted his head to look at Jackson who languidly sat beside. His eyes were closed and his breath was steady like he was sleeping, but his eyes lashes vibrated and sometimes Bam heard his long sighs, that meant Jackson was still awake.

 

The suspect car was in front of Han Min's house when Bam looked through his car mirror. After few minutes, can't stand the silence inside, Bam tapped Jackson’s shoulders to at least talk a bit.

 

“What's wrong with you, man?” He asked, but his gaze were still fixed on the mirror in case something would happen.

 

“Nothing.” Jackson replied, another sigh escaped his lips. How could he say he was mad because of Mark and JinYoung being closed? He’s not that childish.

 

“I think I know.” Bam said, glanced over Jackson shoulders. “It's JinYoung, isn't it?”

 

“Huh?” Jackson startled, he thought it's not that obvious. “That's none of your business.”

 

“It is.” Bam determined. “You’d better fix your behavior or the whole team will become awkward. I dislike it that way.” After a short silence, he added. “If you like him, just confess and-”

 

“No.” Jackson interrupted, it's not the right time for this. “I just think too much. And-”

 

Before he finished his sentence, all of his words were stopped by Bam’s plump lips, he’s freeze for a second before about to pull out. However, Bam didn't allow him to do that as he whispered between the kisses. “Stay there, Han Min is coming.” He saw Bam’s closed eyes and those thick eyelashes vibrated as he enjoyed the kiss himself. By the corner of his eyes, Jackson noticed two guys were walking nearby. One of them was Han Min and other one seemed to be a foreigner since his hair is all blonde. Silently remember his face, Jackson lowered his eyelids, kissed Bam passionately like they were real lovers until they passed over.

 

“What's that?”

“Two gays are making out.”

 

Until the footsteps were far away, Jackson was the first one to pull out, wiped his lips then sat straight up, looking everywhere except Bam’s face. The kiss was longer than he expected and the way they did it made him feel awkward somehow.

 

However the latter seemed not care at all. BamBam fixed his hair which was pulled by Jackson previously, glared at two guys ahead and squinted his eyes as remembered something.

 

“Sorry for scare you.” Bam said when his face turned back to emotionless. “I couldn't think of any actions.”

 

“I don't mind.” Jackson replied. In one second he thought that Bam did it by purpose, but that thought faded away immediately when Bam asked him in serious voice.

 

“Do you remember that blonde guy?”

 

“I don't think I saw him before.” Jackson said. But he was able to draw that guy’s face with exact features by what he remembered just now.

 

“That's Klerk, the guy in the same crime gang that we are looking for.”



 

---


 

YuGyeom rubbed his sleepy eyes, yawning before looked around to see where he was being. He was still in the meeting room, Mark and JinYoung seemed done with their tasks, JinYoung was lying on the table, his face tilted to the right where Mark was being. YuGyeom can see his shoulders were up and down regularly like he was sleeping. Mark sat at his right, chin on his palm and he was staring at JinYoung. YuGyeom could ensure that - Mark was staring at JinYoung face with his soft eyes, and his lips curved a bit. That expression of the Leader was too strange for YuGyeom, this one was soft and gentle that he couldn’t relate it with the cold face that his Leader always wore before.

YuGyeom sat silently, his face pressed on table surface, tried not to move. He pretended to sleep as didn’t see anything in front. This situation was not right for him.

When he was about to close his eyes again, he heard a phone vibrating. That must be Mark’s as he stood up, took a phone out from his pocket while another hand was patting JinYoung’s shoulders to keep him sleeping.

 

“What’s up?” Mark answered his phone, he grimaced a bit, lowered his tone to avoid waking JinYoung up. “You are too reckless, you know? Where are you now?”

YuGyeom blinked twice, lifted his head at Mark’s words. With that, Mark glanced at him a second before coming back to his phone. “Make sure they don’t see you. Don’t do anything and come back soon.”

 

Mark released his phone when YuGyeom was standing right beside him with his eyes wide opened and the panic was obvious showed on his face. “Is that BamBam? What’s wrong with him? Where is he? What happened?”

 

His nonstop questions were interrupted by Mark’s hand. He gestured him to keep quiet while looking at JinYoung who was shifting a bit at his position. It’s obvious that Mark was trying to protect JinYoung’s sleep as much as he could. And YuGyeom couldn’t help to admire his Leader as well as his manner.

“They are following Han Min right now. Call YoungJae to come here. We need to check exactly where they are going.”

“Yes sir.”


 

---


 

When Jackson and BamBam came back to the center, it’s already late afternoon. They looked tired and like a mess. Even Bam was the one who always neat and fashionable became sloppy just now. Jackson followed him to the meeting room, the chase to Han Min’s car was not as fluently as they wanted and it made they irritated a bit. On the way to chase Han Min, they even received support from YoungJae who followed his car’s track that JinYoung did it earlier. But in the middle of the run, Jackson and BamBam lost the trace as they couldn’t catch up. Although YoungJae informed them about where that car was being, they couldn’t make it and Han Min switched to another car already when they finally found his original one.

 

“You guys did a good job. Don’t be too upset.” Mark encouraged them with a smile. “Let’s grab something for dinner. I’ll pay.”

The whole team cheered in happy. They decided to go to the small restaurant nearby. As they all headed to the door, Mark stopped JinYoung by an whispering. “Wait a bit. I have something to say.”

 

---

 

The place was tiny and quiet, seemed not welcome many customers recently. They selected a table on the corner which beside a window, where they could see the city out there, filled up by various kinds of lights which brightened up the whole sky. Jackson sat at the edge, leaned on the window and lost in his thoughts. He didn’t miss the moment when JinYoung turned back and waved at him to tell him to go first, before closed the door where only Mark and JinYoung were been. Jackson was not there in half of day, he wondered what the two did at that time, what they talked about and how closed they had been so far. He somehow regretted for being jealously and going to Mokdong with Bam in such situation. Did he worry too much or Mark really interested in JinYoung these time?

 

When the food finally arrived, the three youngers were talking and yelling noisily, the two remaining hadn’t appeared yet. Jackson glanced at his dish, didn’t feel appetite at all.

“I don’t lie to you.” YuGyeom spoke while his mouth was full of food. “Mark hyung let JinYoung hyung sleep in the meeting room and even reduced all the sound to protect his sleep. He is such a good leader.”

While everyone just smiled at YuGyeom’s excited way of telling story, Jackson was the first one who realized something was not right.

“What have you just said?” Jackson slammed on the table and even stood straight up, it made YuGyeom startled.

“I said…” He muttered. “Mark hyung … is a good lead-”

“No.” Jackson leaned closer. “The previous phrase.”

“He let…. JinYoung’s sleep.”

“No. The sentence after.”

“He reduced-”

“Not that.”

“He protected … JinYoung’s-”

 

“What’s going on?”

Mark and JinYoung appeared at the right moment when Jackson was about to jump on YuGyeom just for an answer. Looking at their smiling face, Jackson was sure that they would have a good time together just now. With this thought, he grabbed JinYoung hand and pulled him into the seat right beside, let Mark stand alone for a while before asked his Leader to search for another chair himself.

“Nothing. We are just talking.”


 

The dinner passed over quickly as someone was talking nonstop, someone was listening with a smile on his lips the whole time, someone was deep in his thoughts during conversations and someone was staring at the others without blinkings. And when Mark stayed there a bit to pay for their bills, the other five headed to their center with BamBam and YuGyeom walked shoulders by shoulders, laughing about something only two of them know. YoungJae followed behind, his eyes fixed on his phone’s screen as there was something really interesting showing. And Jackson went along with JinYoung at last, his arms hung over the latter’s shoulders and seemed not want to leave any second.

“What did he told you previously?” Jackson couldn’t stand being curious.

“He said sorry for his behavior last night.” JinYoung put his hand on Jackson’s arm and kept walking. “He said he didn’t mean it, just wanted me to be stronger.”

“Hmm.” Jackson kept silent.

“So you don’t have to hate him that much, Jackson.” JinYoung turned his head to looked into the latter’s eyes. “I hate to see you being this bothersome.”

And with that, Jackson turned to push JinYoung into a hug, a tight one that made him even hard to breath, but he didn’t let it go and even buried his head in the younger neck, made him freeze in his position.

“I won’t.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

-End chapter 4-