SEVEN: Wait

Trouble Cafe

Two hours passed and art class ended, the third year students had to leave for the next class. Daehyun's classes for today we're finished.  

 

'I'll wait at the library for you to finish.' He got up and took the chair to its place. Jiae took Daehyun's chair and put it in front his desk.  

 

'Won't you get bored all by yourself at the library.' 

 

'It's fine, it's quite and always empty there, I'll rest out.' He took his bag pack and left the room by waving at Jiae. 

 

'So you already got yourself a boyfriend and younger too. You were that desperately trying to shake me off by using the new student who doesn’t know what I might be doing to him. Selfish girl, only thinking of yourself always, do you? I'll crush him and still make you mine.' 

 

Minryeol got up, he was looking and smirking at Jiae. Jiae didn't look up, she was packing her bag for the next class.  

 

'Don't you dare to touch him. Leave the boy alone. He doesn’t know anything, this is between you and me. Now move, before I embarrass you. ' Jiae didn’t want to have any further consideration with him since he didn't go, Jiae left by herself and went out first.  

 

The boring hour had passed, Jiae headed to the library. It indeed was empty and no Daehyun to be seen. She walked by the bookshelves and looked one by one at them. After the last one, she saw Daehyun sitting on the windowsill and looking out of the window. She came closer to him from behind and whispered his name, there was no answer or any response coming from him. She bowed her head to the side and saw that he was sleeping leaning against the cold glass. She took a couple papers out her bag, slowly and gently lifted Daehyun's head, placed the papers against the wall and replaced his head back so it would isolate the cold as much as it could.  

Jiae was looking at the books on the shelves, she took a couple skimming through them until she found a book to her likes. Daehyun was waking up, as he lifted his head, papers fell down. He looked at them and tried to remember when he put it between there. He saw a bag lying on the floor, he recognized that it was Jiae's. Got to get up to find her, cause it's almost 5 pm. He slept way too much and in a place like this. He slowly, with tiny steps walked around to find Jiae. She must be reading a book somewhere, the first thing Daehyun thought was romantic comedy books section. Instead, he walked the opposite direction and ended up in the horror section next to the crime scene books.  

Jiae was reading a horror book, she was reading it too fast and enjoying that she didn't know time passed and it was almost five pm. She laughed between the pages.  

Daehyun found Jiae sitting on the floor, she was reading a book with all her attention focused on the story that she didn't notice him standing. Daehyun looked at Jiae for a while and it rings to him that they would come in late for work. Jiae noticed and saw someone coming closer, she looked up and saw Daehyun. She closed the book and wanted to stand up, Daehyun brought out his hand and helped her to get up on her feet. She felt numb for sitting like that for a long time without moving. Daehyun grabbed her hand tightly now.  

 

'Are you okay?' He looked at her feet, to see if it was injured or something.  

 

'I'm fine, my legs fell asleep, that's all.' 

 

She put the book back. Daehyun showed her his watch, Jiae's eyes were about to pop out.  

 

'We better hurry or we'll be late for work.' She left to get her bag, but Daehyun already brought them with him.  

 

'The bags are here, look.' He pointed them out while walking to it. He lifted both of the bags, saying let's go, to Jiae. She followed him out the library. They both run to the bus stop to catch the next coming one. They got on time for work too. Saewoo was looking at the two breathing heavy.  

 

'What did the two of you do, that the both of you are breathing like that. And coming in at the same time. Dating?' 

 

'We go to the same school, that's why we came in together.' Daehyun grabbed the hand of Jiae and run upstairs. They need to change quickly into their work clothes and start working. Once upstairs, Daehyun had noticed having Jiae's hand in his hand and let go. He apologized and shyly looked away. Jiae said that it was not a big deal and he didn't need to worry about it.  

 

The restaurant was as full as always, and the customers came in like a waterfall. Hyun was there too, he came to visit and talk about things related to the other location. As always dressed in a black suit, with his black leather bag, and his glasses on and he didn't forget to bring his scary horror like facial expression. But it made girls and even older women look at him. Hyun saw Jiae and tapped her on her head.  

 

'How is my favorite little kid doing, is everything going well?' He smiled at the audience went crazy. It's been a long time since the regular customers saw the five together. They were a restaurant spectacular to the guests, called the Five Flowers. Such an original name for the five....  

 

'It's been a while. I'm doing fine. Just school stuff and work, nothing exciting or whatsoever. How about you?' 

 

'Just rolling around here and there, working on the business. But can I speak to you for a minute? You and Sem.' 

 

'I'll call him.' 

 

Hyun went upstairs to wait for the two. Everyone looked disappointed with Hyun leaving their view.  Jiae took Sem and went to Hyun. They got into one of the little rooms and sat down for a talk.  

 

'I knew that you would come, so something is off. With your evil mind and with your sixth sense and with my handsome face this will be a piece of cake.' Sem pointed at Hyun and Jiae all excited of what is about to become the topic.  

 

'That name you send me, I think I heard it before, so I want you to look it up. And Jiae empty your schedule on Thursday, I'm going to need you. That guy is not as nice as he looks.' 

 

'I'll do that.' 

 

'You know what makes me sad is that this will be the fourth time in two years, that some guy pops out of nowhere and asks Yebeun to marry her, the innocent she is, falls head over heels in love with a douchebag that's out for her money and properties. When will there be a guy who can protect her and marry her for who she is.' Sem got irritated at the whole thing.  

 

'First of all, we need to wrap this up, but this time without her knowing it. Quick and clean as possible. I'll keep contact with both of you.' Hyun got up and the two followed. They naturally came out and continued their businesses. Hyun and Yebeun left to talk about the other location.  

 

One of the customers hit the glass with her elbow and it fell on the ground. Saewoo took the dustpan and told the customer to be at ease, things like this can happen, there is nothing to do about it, and made a little joke, about her using her body to pay for the broken glass and winked at her. The customer blushed and buried her face in her scarf. Jiae brought a new glass of water, looked at Saewoo and rolled her eyes. She shivered at the ual joke of Saewoo, but most of the customers were used to her ual jokes.  

 

'Why don't you try to do the same. I know you got it in you too.' Saewoo wiggled her eyebrow and blew kisses to Jiae. 

 

'You are crazy!'  

 

It was Daehyun's first official day, he was doing good, it has been over three hours and the only thing he broke was a plate, by putting an empty plate to hard on the table. One hour to go before the closing time. The restaurant was becoming empty little by little. Saewoo and Sem started to clean the floor while Jiae cleaned the tables, Kyu and Daehyun took care of the dishes and the leftover cakes. Kyu packed everyone pieces of sliced cakes. Hyun had left a while ago and returned to the other location, Yebeun left together with Hyun. 

It was 10:25 pm. Today they finished things faster than before. Sem and Kyu left, Saewoo got picked up by her boyfriend and the only two left were Daehyun and Jiae. Since she couldn't come with her bicycle today, she had to walk home. Daehyun had to walk home too.  

 

'Can I walk with you?' He asked to Jiae.  

 

'Sure.' She looked at him with a questioning face.  

 

'I thought that maybe you wouldn’t want to walk with me.' 

 

'Why would you think that. We live next to each other so we can walk together or you have to follow me from a distance.  That'll be a tiny bit weird, wouldn't it.' 

 

'Yeah, I guess so.' Daehyun smiled.  

 

They walked next to the still open shops and stores. Jiae suddenly changed her direction and walked inside a store, Daehyun followed her in. She stopped and faced drinking display and picked up a pomegranate juice, it's her third one already. She asked to Daehyun what he wants to drink. He chose the orange juice and Jiae took it out of his hand and walked to the counter. She bought them and exit the store. Jiae handed the drink to Daehyun and they proceed to walk.  

 

'Thank you for the drink.' 

 

'You’re welcome.' 

 

'About today... We were supposed to talk  today, I'm sorry that I fell asleep and that we were almost late for work.' 

 

'It's not that important, but you insisted on waiting for it. It was about school. But it's alright now.' 

 

'Actually, I want to say something to you, about the first day I moved in. I saw something I shouldn't have. I apologize for it.' 

 

Daehyun stopped walking. It made her feel awkward, just standing there in the middle of the street. But when Daehyun proceeded to walk further, Jiae eyed him.  

 

'How much did you see...' 

 

'I-I didn't see anything much, just your back, it looked like pajamas to me. Hehe... But when you turned around, I had to look away. I'm really sorry about it.' 

 

It could not be more awkward than this for both of them. Jiae started walking again.  

 

'Actually, I tried to forget about that, but you reminded me of it. If you didn't see much then it's fine. You forget about it too. Alright?' 

 

'I'll forget it right away...' 

 

Jiae smiled and Daehyun was relieved about the situation ending just fine. They were almost home, and Daehyun kept walking to the porch with Jiae. Jiae shooing him to go home, but Daehyun was in his own world that he walked together with Jiae to her house. He smiled and turned back.  

But the funny thing is, Daehyun's heart skipped a beat. It was a feeling he hadn't felt for a long time. Thanks to his uncle that he couldn’t get that idea out of his head. Daehyun let out a crazy laughter and went upstairs, he needed to take a shower and just go to bed.  

Jiae didn’t feel like taking a shower today, she'll take one in the morning. She climbed the stairs with all her might and finally stepped into her room, quickly undressed and jumping in her bed. She was used to sleeping with her curtains open, so a light hit her in the eyes. She saw clearly that Daehyun was in his room, he walked to his closet and swung a towel out it and threw it on the bed. But then he started to remove his upper clothes in one move and threw it on the ground. As for Jiae, she was looking at him. She couldn’t get out of the bed, she is almost under the sheets. She saw that he was removing more of his leftover clothes. Jiae turned and faced to the wall with the sheet over her head. What's with her heart going crazy. Jiae thought that it was normal for her heart to beat like this after seeing a half guy- stripping. But she saw a lot of guys with their upper body exposed at school or on TV. Even that of Sem and Kyu. She felt nothing, rather than feeling nothing, she had a repulsive feeling for it. Did it happen because of what they talked about outside or the house was empty for a long time and someone moves on and all this happens at once? Jiae couldn't accept the thought of anything that had love involved in it. She could not even bring herself to say or think about it.