Chapter Six

Remember

Two days, it took two days to find an off ramp that led onto highway 68, but they pulled over and looked over the map to make sure that was the one they wanted to take.

 

“Here,” Namjoon pointed to the highway and followed 68 until it split off to 930. “If we go down 930 it’ll turn into 69 and then it will lead us to 914, which will take us directly into Samsa-ri.”

“Are we sure there will be a boat there? Pohang has more docks, or even farther north- “but Namjoon cut Jimin off.

“The plan was Samsa-ri, we will not change it, just in case…” he didn’t finish his sentence but they all knew what he was going to say. In case Sejin is waiting for us there. They hadn’t seen what happened, maybe he got away. But if he survived, why didn’t they run into him at the barn? He would have gone east, he would have found them. But just in case…

No one questioned it after that, they didn’t want to argue and bring up their manager, they were still unable to mourn properly since they didn’t see it happen. Yoongi pulled out his phone and turned it on. He did it once a day, ever since they left the barn, but as he waited for it to load he was doubtful he would get a signal even on a main highway. Everyone watched him and waited as he stood and walked up and down the road a bit, holding the phone up as high as he could, with Jungkook at his side keeping an eye out as they passed a few abandoned cars that would need to be pushed out of the way. Yoongi cussed, and lowered his arm, shutting off the phone and shoving it back in his pocket. Everyone climbed out and checked the vehicles, as they did whenever they had to move any that Jin could not push out of the way with the truck, and cleared a few as Taehyung drove the truck through until it was clear with Yoongi coming up behind on the four-wheeler. Everyone climbed back into the truck, Jungkook on the four-wheeler behind Yoongi, and they continued down highway 68.

Jin slammed on the brakes and Yoongi cursed as he had to suddenly stop, unable to see past the truck. “What the ?” He pulled around beside it, ready to yell at Jin, but Jin was just staring ahead with wide eyes and Jungkook’s grip tightened on his sides.

“Hyung.” Jungkook’s panicked whisper made Yoongi look forward and his eyes widened. Not even a mile down the road was a horde of zombies, too many to count, all walking towards them. Yoongi looked up at Namjoon who leaned over Jin.

“There are too many to push through with the truck, it would end up stalling not even half way through, and I don’t want you two following on that thing.” He whispered and Yoongi agreed. “We’ll go back and continue down towards Cheongsong.”

“But we were going to avoid cities.” Jin whispered.

“We have no choice, there are too many.” Yoongi nodded to Namjoon. “We’ll turn around first, slowly and then once you have done the same we’ll go.”

“Slowly.” Namjoon cautioned and Yoongi nodded. So far it seemed that the horde hadn’t noticed them, and the fact that the sun was behind the group, and probably blinding them, made him feel a little better as he made a slow loop around the truck and waited for Jin, but there were too many cars so he waved for Jin to just back up. They went slow, very slow, but finally Jin was clear enough to turn the truck around and follow Yoongi back down to highway 31.

Yoongi stopped at the bottom, under the bridge, and waved for Jin to stop beside him. Namjoon rolled down his window and Yoongi thought for a moment.

“Hyung?” He looked up at Namjoon.

“I have an idea, but you might not like it.”

“What is it?”

“We wait here, hide in the truck, as the horde passes either above us or down 31, but once they all pass we can continue down 68.”

“But what if they don’t pass?” Hoseok said from the backseat, keeping an arm around Jimin who would not let go of his pantleg.

“We can’t take that chance hyung,” Namjoon started but Yoongi cut him off.

“What if we continue and they follow us, we don’t know how many are in Cheongsong and we would be trapped.”

“He’s right hyung, when Jimin and I were in the tree they passed us by, they don’t seem to like to keep still. We don’t know where they are heading but we do know that they are not going the way we want to go. Once they pass that is a hundred or so that we don’t have to worry about. And if they are coming from that way, it could mean that the areas around Samsa-ri are clear, or at least clear of them.” Jungkook added in, and Namjoon sighed. He looked at Jin, who nodded, as well as Hoseok and Jimin. But Taehyung’s pleading eyes made Namjoon accept the idea and they all piled into the truck, which thankfully had tinted windows. Taehyung moved up front between his hyungs and Jungkook sat on Yoongi’s lap, even though his hyung was smaller than him. Jin locked the doors and they waited as the groans became louder, passing overhead, but the sound also came from behind them.

Namjoon and Jin both looked out the side mirrors as a second horde they had not noticed earlier was walking towards them from the way they came, and heading straight down 31 towards Cheongsong. They warned the others and Jimin covered his ears as the groans got closer, Hoseok pulled his face into his chest and hugged him close to comfort him, kissing him on top of the head. Jungkook suddenly started to cry, though silently, and Yoongi noticed. He carefully positioned the maknae so he could hold him as Hoseok was holding Jimin. He kissed him on the forehead and closed his eyes, trying to will the horde to just go away. Namjoon and Jin both scooted closer to Taehyung, away from the windows and mirrors, and they all hugged. If this was going to be the end, they would be together.

“I love you.” Jungkook whispered into Yoongi’s chest as the groans surrounded the truck, drowning out all other sound. He wasn’t sure if he was heard, but Yoongi kissed his forehead and then bent down and placed a light kiss on his lips. It was feather light, and quick, but it made Jungkook feel a little better and he buried his face in Yoongi’s neck as his hyung hugged him tighter.

It was dark when Jungkook woke up in Yoongi’s arms, he almost panicked but when he looked up Yoongi was awake and smiling comfortingly.

“They passed, but it took a few hours. The horde that was going across the bridge came down the other side and joined the one going towards Cheongsong. We decided to stay here since it was getting dark.” Jungkook saw that Jimin had also fallen asleep but Hoseok was wide awake. Jin and Namjoon were also sleeping up front but Taehyung was missing.

“Tae?” He started to sit up but Yoongi held him tightly.

“He’s sitting up top, he had to stretch out a bit.” Yoongi explained and Jungkook nodded.

“I think I need fresh air too.” Yoongi let him go and he opened and climbed out the window into the truck bed. Yoongi handed him his thick jacket, since it was cold out, and closed the window behind him. Jungkook put on the coat quickly, and when he looked up he could see Taehyung grinning down at him.

“Well about time you woke up.” He teased and Jungkook hit his leg.

“Hey, cripple here.” He laughed, causing him to receive another smack. He moved over so Jungkook could climb up beside him.

“So, you and Yoongi hyung?” Taehyung spoke so suddenly that Jungkook almost lost his balance but the older boy grabbed him and steadied him.

“What?” He played it off, trying not to answer.

“When they thought I was asleep, Hoseok hyung asked Yoongi hyung if you two were together. He said no but Hoseok said he saw Yoongi kiss you on the lips. Yoongi told him to shut up and then my side hurt so I had to get out. I pretended I just woke up and heard nothing. So again, you and Yoongi hyung?” He asked quickly. Jungkook’s face turned pink, and not because of the chill.

“I, I don’t know.” He didn’t know what to say. Would his best friend hate him? Would he understand? Taehyung knew he was gay, it was why he was so stand-offish to Taehyung when they debuted, but when he admitted it his friend just shrugged and continued like normal after confirming that Jungkook had no feelings for him. But he never admitted who he had a crush on.

“Look, everyone else, right? Cause they can’t really say except gnarr...” Taehyung mimicked the zombies’ face and groan and Jungkook couldn’t help but laugh. Taehyung smiled wide and pulled Jungkook closer, rubbing his head against the maknae. “Everyone will understand, and yes it may seem a little weird cause we all have grown up together as brothers, but you were hiding it then for good reason. We were idols, we weren’t allowed to be with anyone especially the same . But now we don’t have to hide who we are or wear masks. No one here will hate you for it. I mean, Hoseok hyung seems ok with it, and Namjoon hyung is very pro-LGBT, and Jin won’t care as long as everyone is happy. Jimin already knows you are gay since you blurted it out when we were drinking in the pool in Hawaii, so he won’t care.” Jungkook stared at Taehyung with wide eyes.

“Yeah, that’s right, the night you can’t remember. Yeah, you blurted it out suddenly, just sitting there staring at the water and then staring straight at him and going ‘I am gay, but not for you’ and looking back at the water. It was freaking hilarious.”

“Oh god,” Jungkook put his face in his hands and groaned while Taehyung laughed quietly, holding his side. “No wonder he has been acting the way he has, asking my type and interrogating me.”

“Yup, we were both curious, but now I know. So? Whatcha gonna do? I know, it is all zombie apocalypse and , and you are supposed to be my boyfriend and all. I mean come on, Taekook? Vkook? But I guess you do like them smol, dark, and not as handsome as me, but who am I to judge?” He teased, causing Jungkook to smack him again. “Hey, OW! Injured here .” They both laughed. “You gonna tell him or will I have to?” Jungkook became pensive for a moment, and Taehyung stayed quiet, waiting for the youngest to put his thoughts together.

“It doesn’t matter.” He shook his head when Taehyung opened his mouth and the older boy immediately shut it. “Yoongi hyung kissed me after I said I loved him. Maybe he did it to calm me, maybe he did it to make me happy in case we didn’t make it. He loves me, I know that, but only as a hyung loves his dongsaeng. He even said he raised me, that doesn’t sound like he is interested in me the way I am interested in him.” Taehyung stayed quiet, he didn’t really know what to say. It was true, Yoongi had said that, and they all thought they might die when the horde passed them. And he had never seen any inclination of Yoongi liking Jungkook that way, or really anyone so he wasn’t sure how Yoongi would act if he cared deeply for someone in a non-platonic way. He just wasn’t fully convinced Yoongi didn’t have any feelings for Jungkook. Or maybe he wanted him to like his best friend so they could both be in love and happy while the world crumbles around them. All he knew was that Jungkook fell hard for their hyung, and he didn’t know what to do.

“Maybe you should ask him. He is usually pretty honest, and I don’t think he’d push you away since he did kiss you. He kinda lost the right to back away after that, no matter the reason.” Jungkook’s head twitched, indicating he was put a bit on the spot and didn’t really want to do what he was asked to do, but he immediately climbed down and went to open the window, only to find it partly open. Taehyung climbed down and saw the window too and his mouth opened slightly, unsure what to do, as the window opened all the way from the inside and they both saw that everyone was awake and had obviously heard their conversation.

Jungkook turned to climb down but a hand from inside grabbed his leg and he turned to see Yoongi’s head and arm sticking out. “Where the hell you think you’re going? You haven’t asked me anything yet?” Taehyung’s eyes widened and he clamped his lips together, pressing them together so hard that they were just a very thin line, as he tried not to let out his internal squeal.

Jungkook turned around and just stared. Yoongi kept ahold of his leg and raised an eyebrow, waiting for the maknae to say something, really anything.

“Do you like me?” Jungkook asked slowly, feeling his cheeks become hot instantly while his heart felt like it was going to burst from his chest.

“No.” Yoongi said easily, as if he was just asked if he wanted any ice cream. Taehyung’s mouth dropped open, and Jungkook felt his eyes start to burn as his heart seemed to stop.

“Ok.” The youngest turned again but Yoongi’s grip tightened.

“Do you want to know why?” He asked nonchalantly.

“Not really.” Jungkook turned back towards him but kept his eyes on the edge of the window.

“Well too bad, cause I’m going to tell you anyways.” He said as if he was getting ready to tell a rather magnificent story. “I don’t like you, Jeon Jungkookie. I love you. Have for about a year now, but I felt like a creeper since you were so young and you grew up with us and I was sure you liked females with how nervous you acted around them…”

“I was nervous because I didn’t want to flirt or really interact with them but everyone expected me to.” Jungkook interrupted, but he couldn’t quite register what Yoongi had said. He loves me?

“Look, it is cold, I’m cold, and I’m pretty sure everyone inside is getting cold. So, are you going to come back inside with me or what love?” Immediately Jungkook was pushed towards the window by Taehyung and literally stuffed inside while Jungkook cussed at him and everyone else laughed. Once he was out of the way and cuddled against Yoongi’s chest, Namjoon smiled at them both and crawled out the window to join Taehyung, making sure to bring the scarf he found during their scavenging. He closed the window all the way and climbed on top of the truck while Taehyung sat beside him, his cheesy square grin spread wide on his face. Namjoon frowned and pulled out a blue snow cap from his pocket, which looked a little like the one Taehyung wore during spring day and put it on his dongsaeng’s head before wrapping the scarf around his own neck and pulling up his hood.

They sat in silence, watching the sunrise in the distance, while Namjoon contemplated what just happened. He wasn’t upset, Taehyung was right; he was pro-LGBT, but it was a little weird having his good friend in love with his youngest brother. But he shrugged it off, why the not? It doesn’t hurt me any, and they are happy.