Chapter Two

Remember

Jungkook took a few practice swings with the pipe and felt a bit better with his knew weapon, but as they got closer he noticed that it was an old barn and hoped to find more weapons like it for the others. Jimin moved to the side and Jungkook paused, keeping his eyes on the slightly opened barn door until Jimin returned with an old, and strange looking, machete. They looked at each other for a moment and both smirked at the new weapon, Jimin felt a lot better with it.

 

Please be empty, Jungkook stepped towards the doors and leaned in towards the opening to listen while Jimin turned around to guard his back. It seemed like forever before Jungkook opened the door wider so he could see inside. It was quite dark, and he wanted to open the doors all the way to let the light in but it was old and he worried it would make too much noise.

“Wait here.” He whispered back towards Jimin, who nodded and kept watch as Jungkook entered alone. Jimin hated it, and wished at least one other person was with them, but they were quick and the most agile and Namjoon needed the others to watch his back while he took care of Taehyung. He didn’t really know why he did it, or why Jungkook seemed to take the lead, but he just felt like he had to follow him. In all honesty, he wanted to prove that he wasn’t weak, mostly to himself, and Jungkook didn’t treat him like a liability. He trusted Jimin, and that made him want to prove it even more.

Jungkook carefully looked in every stall, noting that it must have been used for goats as it wasn’t huge and the stalls were too small for horses or cattle. When it was clear below he called Jimin inside and his hyung entered, closing the door behind him.

“I’m going to check the loft, it would be the safest place for us right now.” Jimin nodded, feeling at ease being with Jungkook but so happy that the maknae took the lead. Even though he did attack the zombie who went after Jungkook, he was still afraid and trying his best to push through it; he wouldn’t be able to go up there alone. in golden maknae, perfect at everything and never afraid. He chuckled to himself as he watched Jungkook climb the old ladder.

Jungkook hesitated and took a deep breath before quickly moving onto the platform and looked around with the pipe raised. To his relief it was empty, and there was an open window ahead of him that lit up the whole loft so he knew nothing was hiding. He looked around and saw a pully hooked to a beam near the edge and figured they could use it to life Taehyung somehow. He pulled on it, but wanted to make sure so he shrugged and grabbed the rope before swinging out and giving Jimin a mini heart attack. Though he did have one hand on the beam itself in case the rope broke but Jimin didn’t notice that. He hung there for a bit and then, when he was satisfied, he climbed back down the ladder.

“Don’t tell anyone I did that, they’ll kill me.” Jimin smacked him upside the head.

I’ll kill you.” He hissed but nodded and they made their way back to the group, making sure to close the doors behind them so nothing slipped in before they came back.

Yoongi saw them and sighed in relief, as did the others, and they moved forward towards them.

“How is it?” He asked, raising an eyebrow when he saw Jimin’s new weapon but just nodded approvingly as Jimin grinned.

“Not huge but secure, and there is a loft we can stay in with a pully that we can lift Taehyung with.” Yoongi nodded and looked back at Taehyung, who looked like he was about to pass out. Jin moved to his side again and they made their way into the barn.

It took them an hour to make a rig they trusted enough for Taehyung to lay on, but they finally got him up in the loft where Jin could take a better look at him. None of them were doctors, but he was the one everyone went to if they were hurt, and he did do research for various injuries and ailments just in case. They moved him in the middle of the sunlight and carefully removed his shirt, which made Yoongi sigh; his shoulder was purple from the back and over the top where he hit the driver’s seat. He never said anything, he thought as he looked at his dongsaeng, it must have hurt a lot being carried the whole way. They unwrapped the bandages and everyone left Jin and Namjoon to look after him after the eldest kept scolding them for being in the way and blocking the light.

Hoseok went through the bags and pulled out all the food and water they had to take inventory and begin rationing.

“How long will it last?” Yoongi crouched beside him.

“Well, we will definitely need more water soon. We will need to go out and look for some, maybe there is a house nearby or a well. We’ll just have to boil it first just in case.” Yoongi nodded and looked up at Jimin and Jungkook who both looked ready to go.

“When did you two become our runners?” He joked, referencing Maze Runner, which they watched a few days before leaving for their vacation. Jimin just grinned and Jungkook shrugged but there was a smile on his face, though it faltered slightly when he heard Taehyung groan.

“I don’t like you guys going out there alone, but I guess we have no choice. Just not today, it is almost dark and we all need to rest.” His dongsaengs nodded, though Jungkook looked too hyped up to sit still. He is always so restless.

“We are worse off with food. We have 5 cans of beans, a can of tuna and 5 of ravioli, even if we each eat half a can and only once a day, it will last us two days with two cans for the third. We also have some crackers but not many.” Hoseok looked at Yoongi, waiting for him to say something. Yoongi pushed down his anxiety, and temporarily accepted his new role until Namjoon took over to delegate everyone’s roles and he could go back to being the grumpy grandpa.

“The crackers can go to Taehyung for now, it will be easy for him to eat, plus the can of tuna for just him. We will all eat half a can tonight, and then half in the morning except Jimin and Jungkook, you two will eat a full can each and take the extra with you just in case you are out longer than expected. But, you will be careful and not go too far. Understand?” Both dongsaengs nodded and Yoongi looked at the water bottles. “We will all keep water consumption low so two people to a bottle tonight except Tae who will get one of his own.” Everyone nodded.

“That leaves 4, so you two will take one each tomorrow and we will all ration what is left while we fortify this place and wait for you.” Again, everyone nodded and Yoongi still felt anxious, he never liked being in charge of anything except being savage, mcing their varieties, and creating music. I really hate this, he thought to himself but growled internally to himself. Not like everyone else is loving it, quit ing.

“Can I have a sip of water?” They heard Taehyung’s weak voice and Jimin immediately took a bottle over to them as he continued talking. “Just a sip, we need to save it.”

“No, you drink as much as you need.” Jin cooed, lifting his head and tilting the bottle for him to drink. He took a few gulps and then sputtered a little, apologizing immediately for it. Namjoon took his hand and smiled down at him, pushing his sweat heavy bangs off his forehead.

“Don’t apologize, just get some sleep Tae.” Taehyung nodded and closed his eyes as Jungkook moved over to him and laid next to him on his side. He placed his arm across Taehyung’s chest carefully and immediately they both fell asleep. Jimin yawned and walked over to them, leaning back against one of the rafters and letting his eyes close.

“Is anyone really hungry right now?” Everyone shook their head at Yoongi’s question and he was even surprised that Jin wasn’t hungry, but he didn’t really need to ask why. “Ok then we can start rationing in the morning. I feel more comfortable if someone is awake at all times. Though we should leave the dongsaengs out of the rotation.” Everyone nodded, and Yoongi wondered why he was still acting like he was in charge but figured Namjoon could take over in the morning. “I’ll take first watch, I’m not sleepy right now.” Namjoon frowned, you not sleepy? But he didn’t comment and felt exhausted after pretty much carrying Taehyung the whole way.

Yoongi watched as they all moved to the edge near the wall and went to bed, though Namjoon stayed up and wrote in his journal for a bit while it was still light. Yoongi moved towards the edge of the loft where the ladder was before they pulled it up and across the rafters. He listened to everyone’s light breathing after they were all finally asleep, and he was glad Namjoon got the surgery for his snoring; he would need to be able to hear well tonight.

He grabbed the pipe Jungkook had been carrying and set it beside him, just in case. Please let us have a peaceful night.