Chapter Three

Remember

Jin woke up and groaned, his back was killing him. Did I fall asleep on the floor? What the ? Is this hay? Then, slowly, he remembered that he wasn’t in the RV anymore; none of them were. He looked around and was met with Hoseok who smiled halfheartedly at him from his post near the edge of the loft. He wouldn’t sit like Yoongi, with his legs hanging off the edge, he still had his fear of heights and didn’t even want to look over the edge if he didn’t have to.

 

“Morning.” Hoseok yawned and Jin yawned as well before standing and stretching, wanting to wake Namjoon to crack his back for him but seeing him sleeping next to Taehyung, with a hand holding their dongsaeng’s, made him just deal with it and go over towards the food. He sighed, wishing he had something to cook for them after everything they had been through. He noticed that two cans were missing and frowned.

“They went out as soon as the sun rose.” Hoseok explained and Jin realized the ladder had been put back down and Jungkook and Jimin were missing. He felt sick at the thought of them both out there, but they were both grown men now and hopefully knew what they were doing; they were surprisingly capable the day before. Please come back safe, he silently prayed as he looked at the cans and sighed.

“I need a pot to heat them up.” He whined more to himself but Hoseok chuckled.

“We will just do without for now. So, wanna share ravioli or beans? I told them to take 2 of the beans since it will fill them up more.” Jin nodded and grabbed the ravioli and pulled out his chopsticks from his bag. They shared the can and once Yoongi and Namjoon woke up, they also shared a can of ravioli as Jin checked on Taehyung and made sure not to wake him.

“Well, guess we should get started. Jin hyung, you should probably stay up with Taehyung.” Jin nodded and the other three climbed down the ladder and opened the barn doors all the way to let light in while Jin kept an eye on the opening.

They searched for weapons, finding a hoe, shovels, pitchforks and other random tools that they piled up in the center. Namjoon and Hoseok looked around the sides to check for weaknesses while Yoongi stared at the tool pile and grinned as an idea came to him. He was always good with his hands, and knew they needed a failsafe in case they were bombarded. He started taking the pitchforks and anything that wasn’t ideal for swinging against bodies but were pointy, and sticking them in the ground. Digging deep yet small holes that would put them at an angle like a fence. If zombies came in they would run right into the “fence” giving them time to bludgeon or cut off their heads. Or climb the ladder if there were too many.

Jin watched him work and was both in awe of Yoongi’s genius, and disturbed by it. Why did the world have to go to ? We were singers, entertainers, having fun and enjoying life. Now we prepare for war. He sighed as he watched them work, looking down at Taehyung when he stirred but glad that he slept. Sleeping was always the best medicine, but he was worried and wished desperately that they could take him to a hospital. Or at least find a doctor. He looked up and stared out the doors, squinting to see what was moving closer.

“Guys, someone is coming!” He called out and immediately they stood behind the pitchfork fence holding various weapons. But then they heard a whistle, the same whistle from Jungkook’s “Begin” and they relaxed as Jungkook and Jimin came into view. They were pulling something behind them and the three immediately ran out to them since they were unable to defend themselves if attacked.

Yoongi didn’t look inside the cart they were pulling until they got inside the safety of the barn, but when Jungkook pulled back the tarp he saw six 5-gallon jugs of water, so many cans of various food that he couldn’t count them, pots and pans and so much ramen they could open a store.

“How? Where?” He wasn’t sure if he was imagining things or not.

“There was a house…a few miles down…and whoever lived there…stockpiled so much …this is…first load…” Jungkook spoke while trying to catch his breath. He did most of the pulling while Jimin stood guard but had to help to pull it up the slight hill. Jimin wasn’t physically weak, Jungkook was just an ox and stubborn as all hell; he didn’t like it when his hyungs suffered and would rather do it instead.

“There is more?” Jin asked excitedly from the loft, looking at everything and trying to come up with a menu for that night.

“Yeah, and the house isn’t bad but there isn’t really a place to hide like here and it is really, really small. There is a well though, and there was only one futon,” he pointed to the bundled-up bedding beneath the ramen. “but we figured that would be for Taehyung.” Everyone nodded as Jin lowered the hook and both Hoseok and Namjoon climbed up to help him as the others hooked the futon up with the ramen inside. They used the outer cover to continue lifting everything up to the loft until the cart was empty.

“We’re going for the second load and will be bringing back something so we can cook up on the loft.” Jungkook announced before lifting the cart again and backing it out.

“Wait, I’m coming with you.” Yoongi looked up at Hoseok who was using the funnel they brought to fill the water bottles and lowered down 6 of them in the cover.

“Hyung, what weapon do you have? We had to take care of a few inhabitants.” Jimin whispered in Yoongi’s ear. Yoongi tried not to show that he heard anything that upset him, though it did, and walked over to the pile he had made with the left-over tools. He pulled out a sickle and walked back over to them.

“Hyung.” Yoongi looked up and Hoseok held a can of beans and tossed it to him. Yoongi stepped to the side to let it fall, rather than hurt himself trying to catch it, but Jimin caught it and put it in the cart while laughing at his hyung.

“We’ll be back before dark.” Yoongi looked at his watch, it was just past noon. They headed out quickly, and covered his mouth as he yawned, having only slept for little over 2 hours. When they were out of sight of the barn, Jungkook put down the cart and both he and Jimin picked Yoongi up and placed him in the cart.

“Take a nap, we'll be fine, okay?” Jungkook didn’t wait for an answer as he continued on, and Jimin chuckled as he followed behind the cart with his machete. Yoongi huffed but yawned again and his eyes involuntarily closed.

Two hours later, they were finishing up, packing the cart full of anything they could salvage, including a small charcoal grill that they could use for cooking, and Yoongi even grabbed some spices for Jin which would make the eldest happy. But while Jimin and Jungkook were busy loading up the rest of the food, Yoongi went into the bathroom and stared at the bathtub longing for a bath.

“I would say go ahead hyung but there is no water.” Jungkook looked in the mirror and scratched the scruff that was growing. He looked in the medicine cabinet and saw a curious wooden box. It was quite beautiful, a glossy dark wood with gold inlay. He opened it and smiled so wide that Yoongi realized how much he missed that smile.

“Look hyung.” He turned the box so Yoongi could see and inside was a straight razor. “We can shave.” He said excitedly and honestly Yoongi was excited as well, it would feel good to get rid of the unfamiliar fur they were not allowed to have since before they debuted.

“Jin hyung will be happy, he hates his beard.” Yoongi took the box.

“Only cause his grows in patchy.” Jungkook chuckled and Yoongi laughed as well, walking out to Jimin who was sitting in the main room waiting. Though to many he would look like he was relaxed and daydreaming, they could tell that his muscles were tensed and he had a tight grip on the machete, ready to jump up if needed, and he was focused on the front door.

“Let’s get back.” Jimin didn’t move, he was just staring, and Jungkook saw him flex. The maknae quickly, and quietly, moved beside the doorframe with his pipe raised. Yoongi took a step towards Jimin but Jungkook shook his head and Yoongi followed his gaze to the machete, which Jimin held strangely; he was using it to show Jungkook what was outside. Again, just as suddenly, Jungkook moved towards the bedroom and disappeared inside it. Yoongi waited for his return, but then Jimin stood and shrieked.

Yoongi heard a shriek from outside, an inhuman shriek and something was running towards the house when he heard a sudden thud followed by more squelches and he quickly went to Jimin’s side to see. Outside, Jungkook was beating in the head of a rather large woman that was no longer a woman, but an infected.

“She was sniffing the cart. Must be the mom we couldn’t find.” Jimin said calmly, and Yoongi wanted to ask what he meant but his dongsaeng pointed to a picture hung on the wall that showed a mother, father, and five children. All looking to be between 6 and 14. He didn’t ask, but the look in Jimin’s eyes told him everything. “Just don’t go in the bedroom.” Was all he would say before leaving the house. Yoongi followed, and did not look in the bedroom.

When he walked out he saw Jungkook, staring down at the woman, but it was his eyes that caught his attention; they were as painfilled as Jimin’s. He hated that his dongsaengs had to do this, that they were even good at it and able to push through the pain to do what must be done. It should be him, their hyung, who did this. This is just plain ed.