Chapter Four

Remember

Jungkook and Jimin scoured the surrounding area, but they were careful not to go too far and never stayed out at night. They did once on accident, on their fourth day at the barn. They were pushing a broken-down four-wheeler through the woods that Jungkook was determined to bring back for Yoongi to fix, and didn’t realize how late it was getting until the sun was almost set. They climbed up a tree to see how far away the barn was, but they couldn’t see it. What they did see was a massive horde coming their way. Jungkook sat where the trunk split and held himself in place by pressing his back against one and propping his legs against the opposite trunk. Jimin was sitting on his lap with his back to his dongsaeng’s chest. hey stayed as still and quiet as possible and watched the horde pass beneath them; they lost count in the 100’s.

 

The horde was moving slowly, and Jimin tried to pretend he was far away as he turned and pressed his face against Jungkook’s chest; closing his eyes and covering his ears, but Jungkook watched them. He could see men, women, and children of all ages and in various stages of decomp. Massive wounds in some, barely a scratch with others, and Jungkook began testing their senses. They obviously couldn’t smell them, perhaps because they were not bleeding, and when Jungkook threw a stick out, which hit some bushes, a group of the horde went into it and thrashed around searching for their prey. But the rest didn’t stop, and Jungkook guessed that the darkness affected them as if they were alive as a few random zombies bumped into a few of the trees that were in shadows and tripped over roots. He waited for the small group in the bushes to stop searching, which seemed to take a while, and they just filed back in and continued walking with the rest. He did it again, before they got too far, and watched as the very same zombies, that attacked the bush before, just ignored it as other zombies attacked. Again, finding nothing, they re-entered the group, and Jungkook threw another stick. He did this one more time and each time, the zombies who knew nothing was there ignored it but others attacked. So, they were slightly intelligent, and aware of their surroundings, they aren’t just mindless.

Jungkook held Jimin close as he fell asleep, making sure he did not fall out of the tree, and stayed up all night. He was not tired, and found himself watching the horde with a mix of mild fear but also curiosity. He couldn’t look away, both fascinated and on edge in case they were discovered. How Jimin could sleep he wasn’t sure, but his hyung had been exhausted even before climbing the tree. Guess this is the world now, might as well sleep while you can, he internally shrugged and finally, when the horde passed, the sun began to rise

When they finally returned to the barn, just an hour before it started getting dark, their hyungs had been worried but Yoongi was silent, even as Jungkook told them what happened. He wouldn’t even look at Jungkook as he pushed the four-wheeler to the side and began working on it with the toolbox they had brought the day before. He acted like Jungkook didn’t exist for days as he worked on the machine, even when the maknae would bring him water, he just continued working and wouldn’t drink it until Jungkook walked away. Namjoon and Jin both told him not to worry, that Yoongi had been a wreck when they didn’t come back and that he stayed up all night and had to be held back when he tried to go search for them.

“You know he doesn’t show his emotions well, he just needs some time.” Namjoon had said, but when Yoongi acknowledged Jimin and continued to ignore Jungkook, the youngest had to force himself not to cry.

Taehyung was able to walk without assistance, though his side was tender and he still needed to be bound since Jin was sure he had to have at least cracked some ribs, and even managed to climb up and down the ladder. He was tired of just laying around and being taken care of, and wanted to help. He mainly stayed by Namjoon’s side, and his hyung enjoyed seeing him up and about. They found themselves smiling and even laughing more, and even Jin would laugh at times, but Hoseok was always quiet as he worked on cleaning out the lower part of the barn and reinforcing the fence/barricade. Jimin was the only one who could get even a small smile out of him, but that was only on the days he and Jungkook didn’t go out.

Everyone seemed to have their place at the barn: Jin focused on cooking, cleaning, and taking care of random injuries the others received; mainly Taehyung and Namjoon. Namjoon and Taehyung planned their path to Samsa-ri on the road map, and whatever else they were planning in their little “office” in the loft. Jimin and Jungkook weren’t out scouting as much as they did in the beginning, so Jimin was with Hoseok securing the barn. Yoongi was busy fixing the four-wheeler and Jungkook just kind of floated around for a while, mainly watching Yoongi and wanting to help his hyung. Jungkook used to be the golden maknae, the one with the most talent, and now he didn’t really have anything to contribute back at the barn. All he was good at was running and apparently killing zombies, so when he was stuck there, because he wasn’t allowed to go alone, he felt so restless.

After two weeks passed, and after wordlessly giving Jungkook a list of what he needed to finish fixing the four-wheeler, it was finally fixed and though they rationed what they had they were running low on food. With Jungkook’s help, though all Yoongi would do is point and the maknae would have to figure out what the hell he wanted, they were able to attach the cart to the four-wheeler.

“Hyung,” Jungkook grabbed Yoongi’s wrist as he started walking away. Yoongi didn’t pull away this time but he froze, back still turned towards Jungkook.

“What.” He snapped, his hand made a fist and Jungkook could feel the tendons tighten beneath his fingers, but he wouldn’t let go.

“Why won’t you talk to me? Jimin hyung was out with me and yet you ignore just me. What did I do?” Suddenly Yoongi turned and yanked his hand free, which shocked Jungkook, and then grabbed his dongsaeng’s hand. Before Jungkook could say anything, Yoongi pulled him towards the back of the barn and away from prying eyes. He slammed Jungkook up against the barn and was only a few inches from his face. His right hand against the wood by Jungkook’s shoulder.

“You want to know why I won’t talk? Why I pretend you don’t exist?” Jungkook didn’t say anything, but Yoongi didn’t notice. “Because you scared the out of me Jungkook!” He growled, trying to keep from yelling.

“What?” Jungkook had never heard his hyung ever admit he was scared.

“I was imagining all the horrible things that could be happening to you! It was like my heart was ripped from my chest thinking about you never coming back! I was weak and reckless and I couldn’t think straight! I was useless.” He lowered his head, and his shoulders sagged. “I was useless without you here. I can’t be like that. And since you are always the one going out, I pretend you don’t exist, so if you never come back I will be able to keep going like nothing happened.” Jungkook opened his mouth, but nothing would come out, and Yoongi just turned and went back to the front of the barn.

He was in shock, not sure how he should feel, but in all the years he had known his hyung he never really questioned his place. He knew they were like family, he knew they cared, but suddenly he felt so confused. And his own heart hurt as old feelings began to resurface from where he buried them, and it made him angry. He doesn’t care for you like that so stop being an idiot. He is your hyung, nothing more. Stop being stupid. But he couldn’t let go of the fact that Yoongi did not mention Jimin in his confession. He loves Jimin, he just worries more about the baby. Jungkook blinked quickly, trying to push back his tears, and bit his lower lip in irritation.

“I’m not a ing baby.” He hissed to himself, but even his anger would not stay and cover his pain. He loved Min Yoongi, but not like he loved the others, he always had an attraction to the man who pulled him under his wing and looked out for him. He always tried to hide it, to play into the skinship with Taehyung or Jimin for ARMY, and he tried not to feel sad as Yoongi began pulling away and keeping a bit of distance between the two; focusing more on Hoseok over the past year. It upset him, but there were rules: 1) they were not allowed to date to avoid scandals since they were at their peak and just won the BBMAs, and 2) no matter how they were shipped by their fans, or how international their popularity became, they were not allowed to be gay. Both rules were unspoken, but they all knew it. Being gay would ruin their careers, even worse than falling in love with a female would, and so Jungkook had to hide it; even from s. But that world is over now, and he does not love you like that.

“He doesn’t love me.” He said with finality as he slid down the side of the barn and hugged his knees, crying into his arms. Jin looked down at the top of his dongsaeng’s head. He was luckily the only one currently in the loft and hadn’t meant to eaves drop as he made lunch by the open window, but in a way, he was glad he did. It was no secret, to him at least, that Yoongi cared for Jungkook differently than the others. Though Jin was usually trying to make others laugh, or played around a lot during broadcasts and seemed to ignore everything around him, he actually paid more attention than most. Yoongi was always careful not to look at their maknae often, and even avoided doing so, which was what caught Jin’s attention. Yoongi was always quiet and reserved with his emotions, even after releasing his mixtape, but his careful avoidance was noticeable to those who knew him best. It started after the “Run” MV, they were paired up for the concept and after it was done Yoongi stepped back and pretended like he was too busy working on music to spend time with the maknae. But Jin never thought the feelings were reciprocated; he merely believed Jungkook just looked up to Yoongi as a brother. How did I not notice? I’m the eomma dammit, I should have known.

He sighed as Jungkook whimpered, trying to stop himself from crying but only making it worse. Jin looked towards the front doors and saw Yoongi in the doorway, unfocused and not sure what he was doing. He looked up at Jin and his eyes widened slightly as he realized that his hyung had been within earshot of the conversation. Jin put a finger to his eye and ran it down his cheek, to symbolize crying, and pointed out the window. Yoongi understood and nodded but didn’t move. Jin sighed and signaled for him to come up to the loft and surprisingly, the stubborn friend obeyed, even though he looked like he would rather be forced to wear the damn maid outfit again.

He didn’t say anything, and neither did Jin, but Yoongi could hear Jungkook trying -unsuccessfully- to stop crying and it broke his heart. Jin leaned forward and whispered in Yoongi’s ear.

“He loves you, in a way he believes he shouldn’t. In a way, we weren’t allowed to be, but that world is gone now. He loves you, as you love him.” Yoongi looked at him with surprise but Jin went to get the bowls and chopsticks and left Yoongi to look down at Jungkook. He loves you, as you love him. Jin’s words repeated in his head. How the did he know? He had been careful not to let it show, even saying how he felt like he “raised him” to keep that barrier. Did everyone else know?

Jin sat back down over the boiling pot of ramen and stirred it, but when his eyes met Yoongi’s they weren’t judgmental, as usual, or full of mischief, not so usual, but they were comforting. Which always seemed to make Yoongi want to talk.

“Does everyone know?” Jin shook his head and Yoongi immediately helped him set their makeshift table that Namjoon and Taehyung had built at Jin’s request. Though Yoongi had to come help after Namjoon managed to somehow break it while trying to build it. “Lunch is ready!” Jin called out and everyone quietly cheered, still aware of the dangers outside the barn, and climbed up to the loft.

“Where is Jungkook?” Namjoon asked as he helped Taehyung over the edge.

“He went to grab me some flowers cause he looked bored.” Jin replied loudly, turning towards the window momentarily so Jungkook would hear and Yoongi smirked at how clever his hyung was. A few minutes later, after everyone had filled their bowls and Jin filled Jungkook’s -which he set by Yoongi- the maknae entered the barn and climbed up the ladder. He had washed his face, all traces of crying gone except for the slight puffiness, and had a bundle of purple flowers in his hand, which he handed to Jin and hesitated when he saw he was placed next to Yoongi. Yoongi grabbed his hand and pulled him down, but kept his eyes down on his bowl and kept eating. Jin winked at Jungkook, giving his hand a slight squeeze, and the youngest was confused but started eating anyways.

“When do you think we will need to leave?” Hoseok asked Namjoon a few minutes later, hating the constant quiet which was opposite of how things used to be at the dorm. In their old life.

“Well, Taehyung is doing better, and the four-wheeler is fixed so we don’t have to lug all the supplies on our backs, and Yoongi hyung was able to fix the muffler so it isn’t as loud as it was.” He thought for a moment, taking a few more bites of food before continuing. “So probably within the next few days, the sooner the better with winter coming. We need to head east and I was thinking…” He paused.

“Yeah?” Jin prodded when Namjoon didn’t continue.

“I was thinking we may want to go to the main road a few miles away from here to see if we can find more supplies and maybe even a vehicle. We will need more gas anyways for the four-wheeler and I would feel better with us all in one vehicle and none of us walking if possible.” Everyone nodded in agreement.

“Who is driving the four-wheeler anyway?” Jimin asked, knowing it wouldn’t be him since he had to be on perimeter, and not Namjoon because he would most likely end up crashing.

“Well, it will need to go ahead of us a bit, so someone who can take care of themselves just in case, and though I want Taehyung off his feet it will be too unstable for his ribs.” Taehyung nodded and was kind of happy, he wanted to walk.

“I can drive it, I can scout ahead and I can take care of myself.” Jungkook said quickly.

“No,” Yoongi snapped immediately, and Jungkook frowned. Yoongi hesitated for a moment and then continued.“I will drive it since I have the compass, but you will ride with me just in case. No one is to ever go anywhere alone.” Namjoon nodded and everyone took that as an order. Namjoon had taken over leading everyone after the first day, but not even he would contradict Yoongi. Especially not with how well he lead everyone the first day, and how rarely he told anyone what to do, even before all this.

“But hyung,” Jungkook started, though he wasn’t sure what he was really trying to say as their last conversation played in his head.

“No buts, you are not to leave my side, do you understand Jungkookie?” Hearing his nickname brought a small smile to the maknae’s face and he nodded, though his stomach was doing backflips and he put his chopsticks down, no longer hungry. “Eat.” Yoongi urged and Jungkook obliged, though he had to force himself. Jin smiled as he drank the rest of the soup in his bowl, knowing that even if Yoongi did not have the compass, he still would have kept Jungkook close to him.