Chapter Five

Remember

It was cold as they climbed out of their makeshift beds and began packing everything up. Jin had already gotten up and was finishing up the ramen as the others lowered the bundles and packed the cart. The table was going on last, under the tarp, to hold everything down, so they would leave once they were done with breakfast. They ate in silence and Jin looked over his family.

 

They all were freshly shaven from the evening before, and Jin had washed their clothes and trimmed all their hair, making the fact that they were living in a world full of zombies a bit surreal but helped them feel more grounded in a world of chaos. They were bundled up in the puma, winter gear they had on hand for the photoshoot they were planning on taking during their mini-vacation. They all had gloves on, but both Jungkook and Jimin had cut the fingers off theirs, so they could have a better grip on their weapons, though Jimin’s was done mainly because his fingers were too small to fit in Jungkook’s extra pair. Jin almost did the same, but due to his swan neck deformity, his hands hurt more when they were cold, so he left his gloves as they were. They were all wearing sneakers, except Jungkook who had on his black timberlands, though he hoped they would find boots for everyone else with winter coming. The only one who didn’t have a thick jacket was Jungkook, but Yoongi gave him his favorite black sweater since he was going to be on the four-wheeler with him. Jin was going to give him his hoodie, but the dongsaeng declined, stating that he needed to be able to move if necessary so he couldn’t wear too many layers. We need to find a clothing store, he thought to himself as they finished eating.

They finished packing the cart, though Jin carried Yoongi’s small backpack with some water, all their bandages and medicine inside, as well as some herbs they could find for various ailments. It wasn’t much, but better than nothing, and if they had to abandon the cart for any reason, Hoseok and Namjoon each kept a backpack with water and some food on them and Jungkook had one with him as well, strapped to the four-wheeler beside him. Everyone had a weapon, mainly clubs made from strong branches that Jimin had whittled to look like bats when he couldn’t sleep. Jungkook still had his pipe, Jimin his machete, and Yoongi his sickle. They couldn’t find much when they searched, except the tools but they all liked the long bats better than a short wrench; they didn’t like getting too close. Jungkook also kept a knife he found in his boot, just in case, and had found some sunglasses for Yoongi.

They were, honestly, better prepared than the eldest thought possible, and though he hated the tough choreography they were known for, he was thankful for it now; they were strong and had more stamina than most their age. He only wished Sejin was there…he pushed their manager’s face from his mind and focused on looking around the barn they had called home the last few weeks, making sure they didn’t forget anything. They had carved a message into the front of the door after closing it and pulling down the brace to keep it shut:

Safe inside, fortified and sturdy, was our home for a few weeks, there is a well to the west near a small house. Stay safe and good luck.

Army, we love you, remember us.
BTS: Jin, Suga, J-Hope, Rapmonster, Jimin, V, and Jungkook

Yoongi had thought it was stupid, as if their names would have any meaning anymore, but he didn’t say anything; silently wondering if they would be forgotten if they didn’t survive. He wondered if they would be remembered, if other countries would be safe and their music would live on in those who survived, but he wouldn’t allow himself to hope for it. It was his dream, for his music to spread throughout the world, and touch people’s lives in ways he never thought possible. To be forgotten, for BTS to be forgotten, it made him want to cry.

“Hyung, we’re ready.” Jungkook’s voice brought him out of his thoughts and he immediately climbed onto the four-wheeler. Jungkook set his pipe in the sheath Yoongi made by his leg then sat behind him, and Yoongi had to ignore the heat that spread through him as his dongsaeng hugged him tightly. He could feel Jungkook’s breath on the back of his neck and he internally growled for himself to stay focused. He looked back and saw Taehyung in the front to keep the pace, Namjoon to the right, Jin to the left, and both Jimin and Hoseok brought up the rear of the group. He nodded to Namjoon, and was given a nod back so he started the four-wheeler and moved forward, careful not to move too fast so they could keep no more than a few yards between them. He had to keep the noise away from them, but was also guiding them, so he couldn’t just suddenly disappear. Jungkook had tightened his grip at the first jolt, but again Yoongi kept his eyes forward as they headed slightly north west towards where Namjoon said the main road would be. Please let us find at least a working vehicle.

They moved for an hour, but Yoongi was getting a little impatient having to continuously stop so he didn’t leave the others behind. It wasn’t their fault, the four-wheeler was actually quite powerful, but he wasn’t even sure if the highway was nearby or not. He came to a stop at the bottom of a hill and waived for the others to catch up. He had Taehyung get on behind Jungkook, just because it would be a bit hard for him, and he didn’t need him accidentally falling. They tied one of the spare ropes to the back rail and let the three go up first as an anchor so they could climb up one at a time without too much effort. When they were all at the top, they shared Yoongi’s smile as they saw the highway across the field in front of them.

They opted for Yoongi, Jungkook, and Jimin to go on the four-wheeler while everyone else kept a lookout since they could see the full expanse of the highway from their position and would be able to warn if zombies were moving towards them. Taehyung sat at the edge of the hill, watching their back, as Namjoon watched the left, Hoseok watched the right, and Jin stared after the others; ready to run just in case. We need to make a bow, he mused to himself as he thought of their experience with archery, but if they practiced it would be beneficial.

Yoongi stopped a few yards from the highway, making sure to turn the four-wheeler around in case they had to make a quick escape, and they all climbed off. Yoongi ordered them to stay at his side while he checked out the various vehicles for one that would work, while trying to ignore the blood smears on the doors, windows and even the road itself. One looked like someone was dragged out from under the car and he was glad that only he noticed it. Yoongi saw a truck in the distance and was slightly awed, it was bright and shiny, and obviously one of the newest models with a big cabin. He stepped closer, his eyes focused on it, while Jimin and Jungkook side stepped behind him; keeping their eyes moving around them to make sure nothing jumped out at them. Yoongi walked around it, noting that all that was blocking it was a van, but if it was moved then they could easily drive it straight into the median strip, which was empty enough to drive down. But the main thing he liked was that it was all wheel drive, which would help once the snow came. He climbed up the side to look in the cab and jumped back down as a zombie banged against the glass.

“Well .” He pulled the sickle out from his belt and his dongsaeng’s got ready, Jungkook a few feet away but directly in front of the door, and Jimin to his right. “Ready?” Yoongi asked as he raised his hand to the handle. They both nodded and he yanked hard, pulling open the door quickly as the zombie tumbled to the ground. Jimin immediately ran forward, bringing down his freshly sharpened machete against its neck where it stuck but the zombie stilled. He stepped on its head to gain leverage and pulled it back out but brought it down again and again until the head rolled away from the shoulders.

“Just had to be sure huh?” Jungkook chuckled as Jimin stood proudly, his chest puffed out in mock butchness and Jungkook laughed. “Hyung,” his words were cut short as his feet were suddenly pulled out from under him and he slammed, face first onto the highway. Jimin ran to him and quickly grabbed his hands, pulling him away from the zombie hidden beneath a van. Yoongi grabbed the machete and brought it down hard, severing its arms at the elbows, and then stabbed it in the head with his sickle. He moved to Jungkook, who was bleeding from his lip and had a large bruise forming along his jaw, and pulled him against his chest as he tried to take deep breathes in order to calm himself down.

“Ok, no more celebrating until we get out of here.” The others nodded and they retrieved their weapons and moved on to the truck, making sure to check underneath it first, before Yoongi climbed inside. He went to start it, but wasn’t sure if it would draw more zombies out, and he didn’t want the others to be left behind. He climbed up into the truck bed and pulled the others up with him before waving his arms in the air towards the others. They immediately moved towards them, keeping an eye out. Jimin climbed down and ran towards them, warning them of zombies under the cars so they slowed and looked under vehicles before they approached.

“So hyung? You like?” Yoongi asked Jin as they stepped closer. Jin paused.

“It kind of reminds me of the truck from run. Though a lot nicer. I like it.” He smiled really big and everyone climbed into the bed. Taehyung sat on the roof with Jungkook, keeping an eye out while they talk. After the sudden attack, Jungkook felt unusually vulnerable in their current position.

“Does it run?” Namjoon asked as he looked into the cab, noting that they all could fit in there: three up front and three in the back, with the last sitting on someone’s lap. It would be too cold soon for anyone to be in the bed, but the window was big enough to slip through if needed.

“I don’t know yet, I didn’t want to start it and attract anyone while you guys were so far away. I’ll take a look at the engine if a few of you could push that van out of the way. Just put it in reverse and it should slide into the median with a good push. But check if it is empty first, this one was occupied.” He pointed at the headless zombie and Namjoon raised his eyesbrows.

“Alright then, I’ll work on moving the van. Taehyung stay here and keep a lookout.” The dongsaeng nodded, not taking his eyes off the surrounding area. “I’ll need Jin and Jungkook to help push the van. Jimin and Hoseok, keep a lookout while Yoongi focuses on the truck. When we are done moving the van we’ll bring the four-wheeler close and start filling the empty gas cans and look for more, together.” He emphasized the last word and they all nodded.

By the time they were done packing up the back of the truck, Yoongi being absolutely positive it will start, it was getting dark. They didn’t want to leave the four-wheeler behind, so they put the cart in the back upside down so it was holding everything down, and would have Yoongi and Jungkook following behind with an extra gas can just in case. They had found many inside other vehicles, and had 9 in all which they filled using a tube from a random work van. Namjoon didn’t think about what it could have been used for as he cut it shorter and gas out of every vehicle he could while the others kept watch and moved filled gas cans to the truck, stopping only for dinner which Jin made on top of a nearby station wagon. They even found camping gear, more food and even a few heavy coats, which made Jin a little less worried. They went through suitcases, trying to ignore pictures or personal items that showed a happy family that was no longer there, and filled a suitcase full of socks, underwear, shirts and pants. They were uneasy at first, pillaging the vehicles, but their survival was more important than showing respect for a dead person’s things.

“We should spend the night inside the truck, and leave at first light.” Namjoon looked around at everyone’s tired eyes but Taehyung shook his head.

“It is too cramped hyung, we should split up into two vehicles, just for tonight.” Namjoon was hesitant but he understood, Taehyung needed to lay down and he couldn’t in the truck. Hoseok climbed down, looking under the vehicles before he moved next to a station wagon they had emptied out.

“We can lay down the middle seat and have two people in the back with Taehyung. One can sleep across the front and three can sleep in the truck.”

They all separated into their chosen vehicles: Namjoon stayed with Taehyung and Jin in the station wagon, while Jungkook, Jimin and Yoongi were in the truck with Hoseok sitting on top keeping watch. They knew they would be safe in the vehicles, none of the windows were broken and the trapped zombies couldn’t open them, but they just didn’t feel right not having a lookout after doing so for weeks in the secured barn. There they were high up out of reach, here they were at ground level. They had found a pair of walkie talkies so one stayed in the station wagon and the other with whoever was on watch.

This seems too easy, Hoseok thought as he sat on top of the truck. In the movies it wasn’t so easy, is it even real? He questioned it for a minute but then remembered Sejin, as well as their families, and everyone in Seoul that was bombed, and guilt filled him. No, it wasn’t easy, not at all. And he stopped himself from thinking about it, praying that they could make it without losing anyone else. He looked inside the back window, at Jimin’s peaceful face, and tears suddenly fell from his eyes. He sat up quickly and wiped them away but the tears wouldn’t stop coming. He covered his mouth, trying to muffle his sounds as his grief finally swam over him and the fear followed. Inside the truck, with his eyes opened, Jimin listened to his hyung as silent tears fell from his eyes. Let it all out hyung, you will feel better, just let it all out.

Yoongi and Jungkook were also awake, unable to fully relax out in the open, but they didn’t say a word as they stared out their windows; keeping watch the best they could as Hoseok broke down above them.