Chapter One

Remember

It had been a week since the news stopped broadcasting in South Korea. A week since they suddenly had no service and were left in the dark. A week since they learned that the virus had spread quickly through Seoul and was moving south, infecting anyone who was bitten by the mindless horde in the wake of the sudden outbreak. Last, they saw, it had made its way to the southern coast and none of them were able to get ahold of their families while they waited in the RV just northeast of Gunwi.

 

Manager Sejin would not take them anywhere near the bigger cities, even when they all fought and screamed at him to let them go home, he could not risk it: he had to protect his boys. Even if they hated him, and even though he longed to know his own family was safe, he had to keep them safe. He couldn’t let them go, not after so many years of looking out for them, caring for them, loving them like they were his little brothers. They were part of his family, and he would die before he let anything happen to them.

Namjoon stood by his decision, after coming to terms with what was going on and knowing his own family was gone when Seoul was bombed to contain the spread: it did not work. Jin was silent, fighting his tears as he thought of his own family, but when Jungkook and Taehyung tried to fight Sejin to get the keys to go home, he jumped in and grabbed the maknae while Namjoon held Taehyung. It was heartbreaking, listening to Tae’s anguished cries but Jungkook would not stop cursing his hyung and fighting against Jin’s strong hold until Yoongi slapped him.

“Do you want us to die as well?” Jungkook instantly stopped fighting, and Yoongi pulled him from Jin’s arms as he cried, accepting that there was nothing he could do. Yoongi knew their pain, they all felt it, but even with the pain and the fear they had to remain strong and clear headed for the rash dongsaengs. Jimin had not fought, but was holding Hoseok as he tried to keep from crying; his family had been in Seoul waiting for his return.

So now, a week later, they sat quietly in the RV as Sejin lead them east towards the coast and avoided large towns and cities. He hoped that they could get on a boat in Yeongdeok, hoping to get them safely out of Korea, and he would not stop until they were safe. Already choosing the harbor in Samsa-ri that he had visited before, and stating that they should all regroup there if they get separated for any reason. Luckily, they had passed a small, abandoned gas station and were able to stock up on gas and supplies. We’ll make it, he kept saying over and over like a mantra, praying he would succeed.

Namjoon had been focused, more than the others, and had written down everything from the news about what had happened. They didn’t know where it originated, but they knew that both North and South Korea had been affected by the virus and that it was spread through a bite from an infected. ing zombies, he growled internally as he went over his notes. He didn’t know why he was determined to keep a record of everything, even writing daily journals no matter how mundane and monotonous it was, he just needed to stay focused and keep working on something. He also grabbed a road map from the gas station and made sure to keep note of where they were, or at least as close to where he believed they were.

Jin sat up front with Sejin, switching out driving when their manager became tired, and making sure to stay on back roads. It took longer, much longer, but they wanted to stay away from highly populated areas and especially the highway.

Hoseok and Yoongi took it upon themselves to make sure everyone ate and got some sleep. Hoseok wasn’t smiling, no one was, and he usually was the mood maker but his heart just wasn’t in it so he just helped out Yoongi.

Jimin stared out the window most of the time unmoving, barely eating anything as he zoned out from everything around him. It took everything for Hoseok to get him to take a few bites and drink some water, but his hyung wouldn’t let him just waste away; he had gotten too skinny for his liking preparing for their comeback.

Taehyung spent most of his time lying in the top bunk bed in the back. He slept most of the time, and when he wasn’t sleeping he was crying. Namjoon often climbed up and held him when he cried, no matter what he was working on, he would stop mid thought and drop everything to comfort his dongsaeng.

Yoongi was more worried about Jungkook, because after that day they stopped them from leaving, he never cried again or even said a word. He just moved as if he was a shell. He constantly cleaned and tidied everything, then listened to music and drew like normal. Many of his sketches were of his hyungs, and he would show them to Yoongi like he used to, as if nothing was wrong. He even smiled softly while drawing and seemed to have detached himself from what was going on. It hadn’t hit him yet, and his hyung watched him like a ticking time bomb ready to explode. It hurt, to watch him be like this, and Yoongi regretted hitting him, but he hadn’t known what else to do. He tried not to break down and cry, though in all honesty he wanted to do just that, because he needed to be strong. Jungkook always seemed to look up to him, and Yoongi did not want to disappoint him; wishing it could be more than admiration but reminding himself that his feelings for the maknae were unnatural and wrong, even if the world they knew was gone. They were still BTS, and some things were just not right for an idol to be. Always have to play a part, never allowed to show too much…

There was a sudden bang and the RV swerved slightly while Jin tried as hard as he could to keep the wheel from turning and stopped it so suddenly that Taehyung was thrown from the bed and crashed onto the floor, sliding a few feet before slamming into the back of the driver’s seat. Namjoon was immediately at his side, checking to make sure he was ok while trying to calm his dongsaeng from the sudden, painful, wake up.

“Is everyone alright?” Sejin asked as he put the RV in park and turned it off while consoling Jin and prying his fingers from their death grip around the steering wheel.

“I. can’t. hyung.” Taehyung stared wide eyed at Namjoon, fear gripping him as he gasped for breath. Namjoon immediately pulled him by his legs and made him lie flat on the ground, and Taehyung took a deep shuddering breath. Namjoon pulled up his shirt and tenderly touched his right side making him groan in pain.

“I think he bruised his ribs, they aren’t moving though. Can you breathe now?” Taehyung nodded and groaned again when he tried to sit up. Namjoon held him down while Yoongi ran up with his bag, pulling out the spare ace bandages he had packed and handed them to Namjoon. He pulled out pain killers and a bottle of water and all but forced his dongsaeng to take them.

“We need to stand him up.” Namjoon looked up at Sejin who nodded and carefully lifted him by his armpits and steadied him while Yoongi held up his shirt so Namjoon could wrap the bandages tightly around him. He let out a few groans but Taehyung bit his lip to keep from crying out.

“What the happened?” Yoongi snapped as he looked up at Jin. His hyung just looked back with wide eyes and shook his head.

“I don’t know, I’m sorry, I don’t know what happened.”

“Okay, everyone out! Jin pop the hood.” Sejin ordered and everyone did as they were told; Hoseok at Jimin’s side and Yoongi grabbing Jungkook who had hit his head against the cabinet and was bleeding slightly. He cleaned it quickly while Jungkook hissed and bandaged it while Namjoon and Sejin all but carried Taehyung out with Jin following behind.

When they were all out Sejin went to the front of the RV with Jin accompanying him and as soon as he opened the hood smoke flowed out causing them both to cough. Yoongi saw the smoke and immediately moved Jimin to Jungkook’s side, placing their hands together and had Hoseok follow him inside. He quickly packed each of their bags with water and food, though he made sure to add Namjoon’s notebook to his and gathered up whatever phones he could find into his own just in case they were able to get service wherever they ended up. He packed Sejin’s bag, which he realized was almost empty, so he grabbed the extra puma clothes, that they were not currently wearing, inside it. He searched the RV, making sure to grab everything they may need and handing the finished bags to Hoseok who set them down outside. Once they were done Hoseok went back to Jimin and Jungkook while Yoongi went over to Sejin and Jin. He was slightly irritated, mainly because he was tired and cranky. Typically, it was Namjoon who took charge and Jin who helped get everyone else’s things together. He only took care of his own things and packed for emergencies but didn’t bother helping the others because they were, usually, already being taken care of. He didn’t want Namjoon’s position, he didn’t believe he had the right mentality for it, and even now he struggled to keep himself together when he just wanted to curl up and shut out the world.

“So, how bad is it?” He walked up to see Sejin under the RV and could hear him cursing. Jin looked at Yoongi and shrugged, though he looked as if he was about to cry from the shock of it all, as well as some guilt. Yoongi placed a hand on his shoulder and gave it a squeeze, bringing a small smile to his hyung’s face.

“Well, I have no ing clue but something looks broken, get your down here mr. handyman.” Sejin called from under the RV, causing both Jin and Yoongi to chuckle before he climbed down and crawled under beside his hyung.

Yoongi looked at the engine and sighed, he really didn’t know what the hell he was doing, but he was always good at fixing things; especially after Namjoon broke it. He took the flashlight from Sejin and looked towards where the steering column was, which looked slightly warped but not broken. The left, driver’s side, wheel looked low and he scooted closer to see that some metal near it looked twisted but if he knew what it meant. He looked back at Sejin.

“Yup, looks broken.” Sejin cussed and they both crawled out. Yoongi turned off the flashlight, slipping it into his pocket, and looked down the road to see a rather large pothole that wouldn’t have been seen by anyone as they were coming around the bend. Jin followed his line of sight and cussed as well. Sejin put his hands on Jin’s shoulder’s and squeezed gently.

“You wouldn’t have been able to see it, and if I had been driving I would have hit it too.” Jin still hung his head in shame but nodded slightly. They began walking towards the others when Yoongi stopped, hearing something strange from down the way they were going. It sounded like a growl, then a moan, then more, and suddenly a zombie appeared around the bend followed by a horde of them.

“Hyung.” He tried not to yell too loud but Sejin was at his side quickly. He grabbed Yoongi and dragged him back to the others.

“Everyone grab your bags now.” He ordered firmly and everyone complied, Jungkook picked up both his bag and Taehyung’s while Hoseok grabbed Namjoon’s. Jin moved to Namjoon, not worrying about his own bag as he helped with Taehyung, but Jimin seemed to have snapped out of his daze and carried it for him. Yoongi picked up Sejin’s and went to hand it to him but his hyung placed the strap over Yoongi’s shoulder instead.

“Now listen.” Everyone focused on Sejin. “You need to keep heading east, move during the day but find somewhere to hold up at night if you can. Do. Not. Stop. Until you have found a safe place. East is that way,” he pointed towards the trees to his left. “just keep going and find a vehicle if you can. Here” He took off his watch, which had a built-in compass, and put it on Yoongi’s wrist.

“Hyung?” He put his hand up to silence Yoongi.

“I will do what I can but you need to run, now!” He hissed climbing back onto the RV. “Go!” He ordered. Namjoon and Jin began moving, pretty much carrying Taehyung into the trees. Hoseok and Jimin hurried behind and Jungkook grabbed Yoongi who felt tears filling his eyes as Sejin disappeared inside and closed the door. The RV started and they heard the engine whine as he turned the wheel. Then he floored it and they heard the bodies hitting the RV but couldn’t see as Jungkook dragged him into the trees. They were not far into the trees when they heard a big explosion from where they left. No one spoke, knowing what it meant, and they all tried to keep it together as they carefully made their way through the trees.

Jungkook walked away and grabbed large sticks, testing them on the ground to make sure they didn’t break and swinging them, handing one to Yoongi, then Hoseok, Jimin and one for himself. They all created a small circle around Namjoon, Jin and Taehyung.

Yoongi moved to the front, following the compass on the watch and ignoring the fact that it was the watch he had given Sejin last Christmas. Jungkook took up the rear, which Yoongi was extremely uneasy about but tried to focus on listening for any noise and looking for a place to stay and rest; they couldn’t make Tae keep going even if he wasn’t complaining.

Jimin suddenly heard something snap to their right and stopped moving, hissing so they all noticed and stopped as well. Jungkook moved immediately to his side and they both nodded to each other before dropping their bags to the ground and moving slowly towards the noise. Yoongi went to grab them, this isn’t the ing walking dead, when Hoseok stopped him and raised his branch, ready to swing if needed, and Yoongi begrudgingly followed suit. Jin left Taehyung with Namjoon and found two large rocks, ready to do what he had to.

Jungkook took the lead of the two, which Jimin was thankful for, and paused to listen. Jimin didn’t really know what the hell he was doing, or what he could do, but he just did whatever Jungkook did. They waited for what seemed like half an hour, though more like 5 minutes, before Jungkook gestured for him to stay put and began moving forward again, careful not to step on any fallen branches and thankful that the leaves hadn’t started changing color and falling quite yet.

He heard a faint rustle towards his right and paused, keeping his branch raised and ready to swing, staring at the large bushes. Suddenly a deer burst from the green and Jungkook swung hitting it hard across the face before he could stop himself. The deer faltered and fell to the ground as a half-burnt zombie walked out of the bushes straight at Jungkook. Jimin seemed to appear out of nowhere and swung as hard as he could, knocking it to the ground with blood pouring from its head. Jungkook immediately began stomping on its head until he crushed its skull and Jimin pulled him away. He wasn’t sure what had prompted him to react so quickly, and he felt a little sick at having to do it, but it quickly passed as he reminded himself that it was a zombie and no longer a person. They both watched as the deer jumped up and pranced away, making them both smirk as they looked towards the bushes and listened. They heard nothing more so they headed back and everyone relaxed a little before resuming their positions. Jin kept one of the rocks just in case.

Yoongi slowly lead the way, and stopped as he saw a brown shape in the distance. He gestured for everyone to stop and Jungkook moved up to his side.

“Is it a house?” His dongsaeng whispered.

“I don’t know, but Tae needs to rest.” He turned towards the others and gestured for them to wait but Jin moved forward and heard a clink as his foot knocked into an old spicket sticking out of the ground. Jungkook immediately moved next to it and began digging around it. Everyone watched as he moved quickly and began pulling on the metal, trying to pull it from the ground. Jin helped as everyone kept watch, and though Yoongi didn’t like staying in one place he understood that a metal “bat” was better than wood.

It took at least 15 minutes but he was able to get down to the curve and twist it apart, using all his strength -and with Jin’s help- as it was rusted badly. He was sweating profusely, but smiled as he held up the new weapon. Jin grabbed the branch he had been carrying, knowing that Jungkook seems to be acting as the lead “scout” as it were and needing the heaviest weapon.

“I’ll go first, hyung.” He looked at Jimin who nodded and again they both dropped their bags as he moved to Jungkook’s side.

“Just don’t go hitting another deer.” Jimin smirked and Jungkook chuckled, though a little halfheartedly.

Yoongi glared, thinking that his dongsaengs were treating this like a game, but he reminded himself that this was how they were coping and knew they wouldn’t be as reckless as most their age. He sighed and stepped back towards the others to stand guard with Hoseok and Jin. He noted that Taehyung was sweating heavily and his skin was quite pale. Please let us rest, please let us be safe, he begged internally as his dongsaengs quietly moved closer to the building. He lost sight of them as they moved around the bushes that blocked his view of the building and he immediately felt like screaming for them, or rushing after them, but he steeled himself and waited.