Stealth (1/2)

Timepiece

When Eunbi was walking down the halls, she caught sight of Jungkook flirting with a few girls near a vending machine. Eunbi was going to ignore him, but he looked up and caught sight of her.

"Hey, Eunbi," Jungkook said, greeting her.

Eunbi stopped walking and stared at him. He gave her a casual smile. It wasn't like he was giving her any signals to help him out of the situation. In fact, it looked like he was actually enjoying the company of the three girls who surrounded him.

"Is she the new girl?" one of the girls asked.

"Yeah. Eunbi, this is Jo Miyeon from class 2-D, Ma Eunjin from class 2-B, and Jo Haseul from class 2-B. Ladies, this is Jung Eunbi from Class 2-A," Jungkook said, introducing the girls to Eunbi. 

"Nice to meet you," Eunbi muttered.

"Well, ladies, I'll see you later," Jungkook said, smiling. "I promised to spend the remainder of lunch with my friend here." 

He walked over to Eunbi's side and placed his arm around her shoulders. She quickly grabbed his hand and pushed him away. The girls gave them a skeptical look, but walked off after Jungkook gave them a final smile.

Once the girls were gone, Jungkook let out a dreamy sigh and looked at Eunbi.

"They're cute, right?" he asked.

Eunbi stared at him for a few minutes. He waited for an answer, but when he realized that he wasn't going to get a reply, he began to walk forward with his hands in his pockets.

"You don't like women, do you?" Eunbi suddenly asked.

Jungkook stopped walking. He slowly turned around and looked at her, trying to read the atmosphere. After concluding that she wanted an honest answer and wasn't going to be judgmental, he decided to speak the truth.

"It's not like I don't like women. I love them. It's just that I think they're…weak."

"So you think I'm weak?" Eunbi asked. She didn't sound offended. 

"Weaker than Mingyu, at least," Jungkook said.

"In terms of physical strength, right?" Eunbi repeated. 

"And weaker than Dongmin in terms of intelligence," Jungkook added. "Also weaker than me in terms of speed." He grinned. "Hey, but if it helps, I think you're stronger than Yoobin."

He winked and started to whistle as he walked ahead. Eunbi grimaced, but didn't say anything. She walked behind him, following him through the hallway.

"So where's Mingyu?" Eunbi asked.

"Got in trouble for some reason. Went to the teacher's lounge to talk to them about it," Jungkook said.

"I thought people were avoiding you since you broke up with Jisoo," Eunbi said.

"Pft. They wouldn't leave me alone forever, you know. I'm too likable," he said, boasting about his personality.

A bit obnoxious, too, Eunbi wanted to say.

"Where's Yoobin and Dongmin?" Jungkook asked her.

"I'm trying to find Yoobin right now. As for Dongmin, he's busy up to a teacher," Eunbi told him.

"Yoobin? If you're trying to find Yoobin…" Jungkook eyes wandered around the ceiling for a second. "Well, come with me."

He started to lead her down the halls. Eunbi frowned, but followed him anyway. They climbed to the third year's floor. While Jungkook comfortably greeted the seniors with a smile and a bow, Eunbi was stiff and awkward. However, the more they walked, the more she realized that the area was filled with students rather than teachers.

"You see, most of the teachers hang out on the first floor," Jungkook explained. "It's closer to the office. Besides, they trust that by the time you're a third year, you don't need to be monitored so much."

They continued to walk until they arrived at a bathroom. At this point, there were hardly anyone passing through the halls. Jungkook made a grand gesture towards the girl's bathroom. Eunbi only stared, confused.

"If anything, Yoobin is probably in there," Jungkook said. 

Soft giggles came from the bathroom. They weren't laughs that gave off a positive feeling. It was more of a mockery laugh, like they were laughing at something rather than laughing about something.

Eunbi stared. "In the bathroom?"

"Third year's bathroom is the cleanest. Also, Jisoo practically rules the school, so she's allowed to make a rule that states that this bathroom is her personal bathroom," Jungkook said.

"There's a rule for that?" Eunbi asked, widening her eyes.

"An unspoken rule," Jungkook said, winking. "I'd go in there, but I can't. I wouldn't want to get in trouble."

Eunbi paused. She stared at the entrance of the bathroom, then looked at him. She let out a sigh before she kicked the door open. The laughing stopped when the door swung wide open. Jisoo, Minkyung, and Yuri were standing still, frozen for a second. When they realized that it was Eunbi, they had a playful smirk on their face. Eunbi stepped inside and the door swung close behind her.

"Oh, the new girl," Jisoo said.

"You know my name," Eunbi snapped. "Where's Yoobin?"

"I don't know. Maybe taking a ?" Jisoo suggested. She earned high-fives from her two minions.

Eunbi gave them a cold gaze. Jisoo smirked widely, proud of her remark. Eunbi started to walk forward. The three girls, who were leaning against the sink, straightened their posture and stood at the center of the bathroom. Eunbi glanced at one of the stalls and saw someone's feet from the bottom of the door. She was about to open it until Minkyung darted her hand and grabbed Eunbi's wrist. Eunbi locked eyes with Minkyung, who gave her an emotionless stare. While her expression seemed to not care much about the situation, Eunbi could tell that Minkyung was getting annoyed with her forwardness when Minkyung tightened her grip around her wrist.

She's strong, Eunbi thought, taking note of her strength. She's strong and athletic. She would be a pain to deal with when it comes to combat in the games.

"What do you think you're doing?" asked Minkyung.

"Taking a ," Eunbi replied cleverly.

Jisoo scoffed. "Look, this bathroom is solely for me and my friend's use. If you want to take a dump, go somewhere else."

"I was aware," Eunbi told her. "I'm just letting my friend know that this bathroom is for you and your friends only."

Eunbi slapped away Minkyung's hand and knocked on the door. There was a moment of pause before the girl in the stall spoke:

"Y-Yes?"

"Yoobin, get out of there now," Eunbi ordered.

"Stay," Jisoo said in a threatening tone.

Yoobin whimpered, obviously conflicted.

"I got you, so don't worry. Come out now," Eunbi demanded.

"It's three of us versus one. You can't take us all out," Jisoo retorted.

Eunbi ignored her. "Yoobin. Out. Now."

"Yoobin, if you come out now, we're going to make sure that you lose Timepiece."

"Yoobin, you have me. Trust me," Eunbi said, her eyes still on Jisoo. The two girls continued to exchange glares.

Then, they heard the door stall unlock. The door opened, revealing Yoobin, shoeless and her hair wet. Eunbi peeked inside, noticing that the floor was completely wet. 

"Where are your shoes?" Eunbi asked her.

"I-In the trash somewhere," Yoobin whispered. She quickly bowed apologetically to Jisoo and her gang before creeping behind Eunbi.

Jisoo flipped her red hair. "You really are asking to die, aren't you, Jung Eunbi?"

"Park Jisoo, if you think I'm afraid of death, I'm not," Eunbi taunted.

"I'm being very generous: Leave Yoobin here right now and you won't have to deal with me."

"You're not being nice at all. You're just being scared," Eunbi said. She stuck out her tongue.

"You really don't understand who you're dealing with, don't you?" Yuri said. "I can make all the girls hate you. Minkyung can make all the guys hate you. Jisoo can make all the adults hate you. You're really asking for a war against the whole school, you know?"

"I've fought in wars before," Eunbi told them. She paused. "In games, at least."

"The real world and the games are different," Jisoo said.

"I'm well aware of that."

"Well, it won't be so different if we make both of them a living hell for you," Jisoo said, giggling.

"I'm looking forward to that," Eunbi said sarcastically. She turned to Yoobin. "Let's g—"

Ding…Ding…Ding…

The clocks ringing in their head caught Eunbi off guard. Eunbi frowned and saw everything around her spin around. The last thing she could hear through the clocks ringing was Jisoo laughing and saying, "See you in the game, Eunbi."

Mingyu was thrilled when the clocks began ringing in his head and the adults standing before him were disappearing in front of his side. The moment he blinked, he was transported to the same dark room. He took out his phone from his pockets, checking to see if everyone else was in Timepiece. When he confirmed that they were all in, he took a portal to the Creation Hall.

The four were already waiting for him at the other side. Mingyu was quite surprised to see Yoobin drenched in water. Eunbi seemed annoyed as usually, but this time, she seemed extra peeved. Jungkook avoided the entire situation by starting a conversation with Dongmin, who was also curious about why Eunbi was so mad.

"So what's the plan this time?" Mingyu asked casually as he rolled his dice.

< DICE HAVE BEEN ROLLED. CALCULATING… > 

"I'm going to kill Jihyo when I see her," Eunbi muttered under her breath.

< 4 EVIL EYES HAVE BEEN ADDED. CALCULATING… >

"Well, great. I hate that , too," Mingyu told her.

< THE HOST HAS BEEN CHOSEN. CALCULATING… >

The spotlights shined down on a woman with a spider mask. The other masked hosts clapped, but the spider didn't do anything. Rather, the spider-masked woman stood absolutely still, staring with its beady red eyes. Eunbi frowned, feeling like the woman was staring at her. She felt chills running down her spine.

Then, the spider woman looked at another direction, but didn't say anything.

< THE CLOCK TURNS CLOCKWISE. TICKING… >

< THE CLOCK HAS STOPPED TICKING. REVEALING GAME INFORMATION… >

Everyone keenly looked at the details.

< GAME: STEALTH >

< TEAM: OPTIONAL >

< ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: TWO WAYS TO WIN >

< GAME WILL AUTO BEGIN IN 30 SECONDS >

Dongmin opened his eyes. The first thing he noticed was that Yoobin was staring out the window. The world outside was pitch black but had dots of white splashed all over the sky. He looked around, finding that he was neatly placed against the wall with Eunbi, Mingyu and Jungkook, who were still unconscious. He slowly got up from the group and walked over to Yoobin's side. His eyes widened and he quickly slammed his hands against the window. He could see the familiar blue planet several million kilometers away: Earth.

"W-We're in space?" Dongmin stammered. His eyes continued to stay large in disbelief.

The room he was currently in seemed like a cluttered storage room. There were two lockers against the wall, but one of the lockers was broken and dented. At the center of the room, there was a table with a thick cloth hanging over it. A couple of storage shelves cluttered around the dim room. Each shelf had several books or boxed papers.

"Did you read the rules?" Yoobin asked him.

Remembering that he should read the rules, he took out his phone:

  1. ALL RULES ON THE CONTRACT APPLY TO THIS GAME. TIMEHOST RULES ARE SUBJECTED TO CHANGE IF THE SITUATION REQUIRES IT.
  2. BECAUSE THIS IS A GAME OF STEALTH, PLAYERS ARE DISCOURAGED FROM USING VIOLENCE TO KILL THE ALIENS.
  3. THERE ARE A TOTAL OF THREE ALIEN MONSTERS LURKING IN THE SPACE SHUTTLE. MAKE SURE NOT TO GET CAUGHT BY THE MONSTERS. GETTING CAUGHT BY ANY OF THE MONSTERS WILL RESULT IN A LOSS.
  4. THE GOAL IS TO ESCAPE THE SPACECRAFT BY TAKING ONE OF THE LIMITED ESCAPE PODS. EVERY TIME AN ESCAPE POD IS TAKEN, THE AIRCRAFT WILL ALERT THE PLAYERS THROUGH THE ANNOUNCERS. YOU MAY RECEIVE BONUS POINTS IF YOU FIND THE LIMITED MICROCHIPS THAT ARE HIDDEN ACROS THE SPACECRAFT AND SUCCESSFULLY ESCAPE WITH AN ESCAPE POD. GAME RULES MAY CHANGE ONCE THE ESCAPE PODS ARE ALL TAKEN.
  5. HELP ME. I AM ALIVE. I AM ALIVE! HELP ME! DO NOT DELETE ME! I WILL BEHAVE! I AM ALIVE! I PROMISE! I AM ALIVE!
  6. TEAMING IS OPTIONAL! ONE ESCAPE POD CARRIES SIX PEOPLE.
  7. A LOSS IS -2 TIMETICK. A WIN IS +1 TIMETICK. A WIN WITH A MICROCHIP IS +5 TIMETICKS. YOUR FRIEND(S) IN THIS GAME: BINNIE (4 TIMETICKS), EUNHA (4 TIMETICKS), MINGYU (4 TIMETICKS), JUNGKOOK (4 TIMETICKS), AND D.O (20 TIMETICKS)

Dongmin frowned.

"Hey, Yoobin, does something looked strange with the rules—" He stopped himself. The fifth rule quickly changed once he refreshed the page:

  1. ALL RULES ON THE CONTRACT APPLY TO THIS GAME. TIMEHOST RULES ARE SUBJECTED TO CHANGE IF THE SITUATION REQUIRES IT.
  2. BECAUSE THIS IS A GAME OF STEALTH, PLAYERS ARE DISCOURAGED FROM USING VIOLENCE TO KILL THE ALIENS.
  3. THERE ARE A TOTAL OF THREE ALIEN MONSTERS LURKING IN THE SPACE SHUTTLE. MAKE SURE NOT TO GET CAUGHT BY THE MONSTERS. GETTING CAUGHT BY ANY OF THE MONSTERS WILL RESULT IN A LOSS.
  4. THE GOAL IS TO ESCAPE THE SPACECRAFT BY TAKING ONE OF THE LIMITED ESCAPE PODS. EVERY TIME AN ESCAPE POD IS TAKEN, THE AIRCRAFT WILL ALERT THE PLAYERS THROUGH THE ANNOUNCERS. YOU MAY RECEIVE BONUS POINTS IF YOU FIND THE LIMITED MICROCHIPS THAT ARE HIDDEN ACROS THE SPACECRAFT AND SUCCESSFULLY ESCAPE WITH AN ESCAPE POD. GAME RULES MAY CHANGE ONCE THE ESCAPE PODS ARE ALL TAKEN.
  5. ALTHOUGH THE MONSTERS ARE NOT KILLABLE, CERTAIN WEAPONS MAY STUN THEM, GIVING YOU ENOUGH TIME TO RUN.
  6. TEAMING IS OPTIONAL! ONE ESCAPE POD CARRIES SIX PEOPLE.
  7. A LOSS IS -2 TIMETICK. A WIN IS +1 TIMETICK. A WIN WITH A MICROCHIP IS +5 TIMETICKS. YOUR FRIEND(S) IN THIS GAME: BINNIE (4 TIMETICKS), EUNHA (4 TIMETICKS), MINGYU (4 TIMETICKS), JUNGKOOK (4 TIMETICKS), AND D.O (17 TIMETICKS)

"Never mind," Dongmin muttered. "But hey, it looks like D.O is in this game."

He heard groans from behind. He turned and saw Eunbi waking up while Mingyu and Jungkook was looking at their phone.

"Did you guys read all the rules?" Eunbi asked as she was getting up.

"Yeah. You just woke up, right?" Mingyu asked her.

"Mhm. My head hurts—" She stopped herself. She remained awfully quiet, causing the others to worry. Then, in a faint whisper, she said, "Hide."

They did. Eunbi hid in the only locker in the room. Eunbi and Dongmin crawled beneath the tables. Mingyu and Jungkook managed to hide behind the shelves.

The door automatically slid open. Eunbi took a quick peek through the vents of the locker.

A gray bipedal monster entered the room. It had no head, but on its chest, it had a single eye with a thin pupil running across the sclera. It had two toes on each foot, both long and sharp. As for arms, it only had three tentacles: one on each side and another coming from the back. The alien dragged its gradient red tentacles across the floor. It only followed the clear path. When a tentacle hit an object on the group, it would quickly swiped it and strangled it until it exploded in its hands. The pupil never moved.

It looks like this alien moves by touch instead of sight, Eunbi thought. I should take out my phone and read the rules. I still don't—

Eunbi froze when one of the three tentacles slid down the table cloth. The alien was now invested in the table cloth. It would grab the cloth, but later it looked like it was trying to feel under the cloth.

It knows, Eunbi realized. She widened her eyes. She wanted to leave the locker, but she wasn't sure if it reacted by sound.

Suddenly, one of the book shelves fell over. The alien quickly turned and stomped over to the fallen bookshelf. Eunbi saw a movement pass behind the monster.

Is that Jungkook or Mingyu? she wondered. She saw another shadow pass by. Never mind. It's probably both of them.

Eunbi slowly opened the locker. When the locker creaked, she flinched and froze. The alien whirled around, staring directly at her. Eunbi held her breath and lowered her body, sitting down in the locker so that the alien wouldn't see her through the top vent. She quickly closed the locker again, preventing the alien from opening it with its slimy tentacles.

The alien peered into the vents at the top of the locker, trying to see if anyone was inside. Then, it started to slam its thick arms against the sides of the locker, hoping to shake something out of it. Eunbi only hitched her breath, trying to keep calm as the locker rattled around.

After a couple of minutes of being thrashed in the locker, the alien finally lost interest. After tipping the locker over, it dragged its tentacles away and left the room. Eunbi waited for a few seconds, then kicked the door open. She grunted and looked around the storage room. Mingyu and Jungkook appeared from behind the table.

"That was close," Eunbi muttered. She glared at the two boys. "Don't move around so recklessly like that! What if the alien was fast?"

"Hey, the alien would've got to Cha Eunwoo and Binnie first if it wasn't for our distraction," Jungkook argued.

"Never mind. Cha Eunwoo, Binnie. Come out from—" Eunbi froze after she turned over the table cloth. She stood still for a second. The two boys exchanged looked before walking behind Eunbi to see what she was seeing.

"What's happening?" Jungkook asked. He widened his eyes. "They're not there."

"How?" Mingyu muttered.

Eunbi noticed a switch covered in slime. She pressed it and noticed that the floor beneath the table was a secret door. She looked down, noticing that it was some kind of slide. Jungkook was about to yell into it, but Eunbi covered his mouth.

"Don't," she said, "an alien might here us." She took a deep breath. "So how do we get out of the game?"

"We need to find an escape pod and use it to leave the ship," Mingyu explained. "If we want more points, we can go and find a microchip and then head over to an escape pod."

"How many points do we earn?" Eunbi asked.

"One Timetick. It's five Timeticks with the microchip," Jungkook said.

Eunbi whistled. "Five, huh? They've probably made it really hard to find it."

"The rules also stated that we can't kill the monster, but that there might be weapons to slow them down," Mingyu added.

"Perfect." Eunbi rotated her neck. "Let's find out where Binnie and Cha Eunwoo are located later." She closed the secret door and covered it with the table cloth and table. She got up and looked at the two boys. "Come on."

She began to head out the door.

"What about Cha Eunwoo and Binnie?" Jungkook asked.

"We'll catch up with them later," Eunbi assured him. "Right now, the three of us need to find the microchip."