Hello and Goodbye

Swipe Right -Daehyun's POV-
Please log in to read the full chapter

  I'm finally going to meet Youngjae and for some reason, I end up waking up at seven in the morning. Closing my eyes and hoping to fall back asleep before our meeting time is just not enough as my mind constantly wanders, thinking about Youngjae. What will he be like? Will he match the photos? What will he sound like? What if I'm a huge disappointment when he sees me? So many questions pop in my head and I cna't answer any of them! I have never been this nervous in my life. I don't understand! It's not like he's the first guy I've met.

  I don't know how long my thoughts take me, but by the time I calm myself down, it's already 9:30. I shoot up from my bed and jump down, nearly falling on my knees. Quickly, I rummage through my suitcase and find something to wear. I decide to go casual since it is just a meeting. It's not a date. I'm not going on a date with him like Himchan is implying. We're just two people meeting for the first time. That's all.

  Since Himchan and Jongup are still asleep, I quietly make my way to the bathroom with my phone in my hand. It's too early for my to contact him. He might think I'm too excited if I text him now. Maybe I can do it when it gets closer to the meeting time just in case he forgets.

  I take a quick shower and make sure my hair is dry before throwing on my clothes and brushing my teeth. By this time, it's only 10:15 and I'm almost done. I guess it doesn't hurt going early and wait for him. But then what if he arrives late? Should I grab something to eat while I'm there? I mean, we are meeting during lunch time, so I assume he's going to assume that I already ate? Ah, my head hurts just thinking about it.

  As I enter the living room, I see Himchan leaving his room with droopy eyes, probably from just waking up. He yawns and scratches his head before staring at me. "What time is it?"

  "10:21," I reply. "Do you think the cafe is walking distance from here?"

  "Hm... I think so. Well, I think it's about a thirty minute walk. If you want, you can take the car."

  "I don't know. I'm going to be really early."

  Hmchan grins widely. "Huh, someone's anxious."

  My cheeks flare. "Shut up."

  "It's fine being early, but if you really want to walk, I can pick you up later tonight since Jongup and I are thinking about seeing the night life here once more."

  I roll my eyes. "Please don't get too drunk again. We don't have a lot of time left here."

  "Don't worry about us. Just worry about your date, and make sure you walk him home if it gets too late. You might even get a goodnight kiss before you two part." He doesn't let me reply as he laughs out loud and makes his way back to his room, slamming the door behind him.

  Kim Himchan! This annoying guy really knows how to piss me off! It's not a date and... and... there's no way he's going to kiss me! We're just friends for now, I guess. Still, that doesn't mean he's going to kiss me on the first day! That doesn't happen often!

  Stamping my feet on the ground, I head to the front door and throw my shoes on. Typing up the address on my phone, I make sure to pace myself based on how far it is. Looks like I'll arrive around 11 if I go at a decent pace. That gives me an hour to relax and calm myself down. Yeah, that should be enough to prepare myself.

  As I'm walking down the streets, I didn't realize how hot it is until I feel sweat dripping down the temples of my forehead. Let's hope that the A/C will be working there or else I'll be dying in the heat and causing sweat stains on my shirt. I continually check my phone to see if I'm going to right direction while deciding whether I should message Youngjae or not. I decide not to and reach the cafe.

  It's a cute little cafe with mainly college students swarming the place and conversing with each other. I notice a few college girls staring at me as I enter the cafe and line up to grab something to drink. I ignore their stares as I'm more occupied with thinking of conversations to talk about with Youngjae. It's harder to talk to someone in person compared to messaging them. At least you can erase the message before sending it if you have second thoughts, but when you speak face-to-face with someone, you can't exactly erase what you say once it's already been said.

  I order a coffee and sit down at a little table, figuring out things to say to him. The only things I can think of are pointless arguments that Himchan and Jongup always have whenever they have nothing better to do. There has to be something normal to talk about!

  My coffee arrives and the scent of the freshly grind beans fill my nostrils. I take a sip and groan in pleasure. This is probably the best cup of coffee I ever had. I take the cup in my hands and rub against it. My eyes wander around the cafe, noticing the cute frames of different kinds of coffee and coffee beans with the occasional image of food. As I continue to look around, my eyes land on someone that I recognize from pictures. I smile.

  Youngjae stands by the doorway with his head swiveling side to side. I'm not sure why, but he seems a bit panicked. Maybe he didn't see me? I wave at him to grab his attention.

  He spots me and makes his way towards me. "Hey!"

  Wow. He's cuter than I thought. "So you're Youngjae." Is that really all I can think of? I could've just said hi!

  "And you're Daehyun."

  Just being able to hear his voice say my name sends a chill down my spine. I continue to rub the glass cup. Get ahold of yourself Jung Daehyun! I laugh, trying to hide my embarrassment. "Yeah. The one and only! Well, not really, but you know what I mean. Sit down." I motion for him to sit in front of me. It's a little unsettling when he's just standing there while I'm sitting down. Should I shake his hand? Ah, well, it's too late. Oh wait. "I already ordered something because I didn't eat breakfast, so once you're ready, go ahead and go to the counter to order. I'll still be here. Don't worry." Oh my. Why did I just say that? Does he even remember that conversation we had before? What if he doesn't? I'll sound like an idiot if he doesn't.

  My nervousness intensifies as he stands up without a word and lines up. I look around again, cursing at myself for acting like an idiot. He really must think I'm an idiot. Oh, stupid Daehyun.

  As I'm scolding myself, Youngjae comes back to sit in front of me. I can't let him see me so troubled. What can we talk about? What can I ask him? "So, now that we have finally met, I have a very important question for you," I say.

  "And what question is that?"

  . . I didn't think this through. I definitely did not think this through. "Glasses or contacts?" Is that all I can think of? Great job Daehyun. Now, he'll definitely think you're in idiot. I mean, who asks random questions like these? Ah, I'm so nervous for no reason.

  He blinks a few times. "What?"

  "You heard what I said. Glasses or contacts? Which do you prefer?" Might as well continue on with this. I can't turn back now.

  "Uhm. Glasses?"

  Glasses? Interesting choice.

  "What?" He asks as his innocent eyes gaze at me.

  I feel my heart skip a beat. He needs to stop looking at me like that. "Hm... I prefer contacts. Now, why do you say glasses?"

  "Well, I think glasses are easier to handle because you can take them off whenever you want. Contacts, on the other hand, it's easier to take them off when you have a mirror in front of you, and let us not forget about solution. You gotta carry that everywhere you go just in case you need to take them off or they start drying off."

  What a logical argument. "You have a point, but at least with contacts, you don't have to worry about getting glasses tan. And what if someone hits you in the face! Not only will you get hurt by that, but also by the glasses if it makes direct contact with it. Also, it's pretty easy to take off your contacts especially once you've had them for a long time." Why are we talking about this? Why did I have to bring something like this up? I mean, at least we have a conversation going, but do people really want to talk about these things on their first meeting?

  "Yeah but it's so weird seeing people poking their eyes just to put it on and take it off. And I hear they bother your eyes sometimes."

  Wait. So does that mean he has never tried contacts before? Ah-ha! "Ah, so you haven't had contacts before, so your argument is invalid," I point out.

  His mouth gapes. "What! I'm basically saying what I think based on what my friend tells me."

  So this whole time, he's saying these things not based on his experience, but based on his friends. That means, I win this round. I laugh and clutch my stomach, thinking how quickly he tries to explain himself. "You're funny. You get so defensive, but okay, I'll accept your argument for now."

  He pouts those puffy lips and I can't help but stare at it. I shake my head and return my gaze to his eyes and immediately regret it. His eyes seem to sparkle in a way I have never seen before and they gaze innocently at me. Ah, calm down, my heart. I need to change the subject. As he's served his drink, I say, "Alright. Next question."

  "What's next?"

  I take a deep breath and tap my lips. "What made you swipe right for me?"

  He stiffens and places his coffee on the table. I can feel myself sweating as I'm wondering what he's thinking. Why did I ask that question? I shouldn't have asked that question especially when we just met a few minutes ago. What if he wants to leave right now? I won't stop him, but I can feel my pride going down if he does.

  "Well. Uh. I-"

  Just tell me the truth. It's okay.

  "I thought you were cute."

  What? What did he just say? Did I hear that right? Did he say that he thought I was cute? Well, this is not the first time someone said it, but for some reason, hearing it come from his mouth makes my heart leap. I blush and bite my bottom lip. I need to say something. Just anything. "I thought you were, too," I confess.

  I look at him to see if he'll stand up and leave, but he doesn't. Instead, he asks, "Anyways, how long are you staying here?"

  I lean back and give an internal sigh of relief. "Until Monday which because this road trip's been really nice so far, and once I'm home, I'm back to being in the office." I don't want this road trip to end.

  "Wow. Your road trip is over already? I hope you enjoyed the trip."

  "Oh yeah, I definitely had fun and the places you told me were pretty cool. My friends liked it, too." I drink the rest of my coffee in one gulp. This also means, we can't waste time sitting here. I'm sure there's plenty to do! "So, where should we go first after you finish your drink? I'm pretty sure there's lots more we can go to."

  "You're right." He pauses as if thinking. "We could go see a movie."

  I brighten at the idea. Himchan and Jongup didn't want to go with me the other day, but I'm so glad Youngjae wants to! Now I can finally watch the movie I suggested last time. Well, if Youngjae wants to watch it, too, at least. If not, I'll be down for anything. "Sure! I was thinking about watching ______."

  His eyes sparkle and he straightens up like an excited puppy. "I wanted to watch that movie, too but my friend, Jongin, doesn't want to. He's not really a movie person, and actually, I think it's best he doesn't watch with me because he's a talker sometimes. In the middle of scenes, he would sometimes whisper to me asking about the logic of the character's actions or things like that. I mean, they're reasonable questions, but I don't want to hear it when I'm in the middle of watching the movie. There's a reason why they say no texting or talking during the movies."

  Wow. That must having a friend who's not into movies. He must not be watching the right movies. Or maybe he doesn't pay attention much since he talks a lot during the movie. "I agree. Luckily, my friends like watching movies, so every time we go to one, we make sure we split the popcorn and fill up extra containers evenly that way we don't bother each other during the movie. We always try to talk about it afterwards, but most of the time it ends up with us saying how great or terrible the movie was." I chuckle, remembering some horror scenes we would tease about. I mean, sometimes they're just way too predictable. "I'm glad to find another person who shares the love for movies as I do."

  Youngjae laughs, causing my heart to beat faster than it already is. It's such a beautiful laugh that I can't exactly describe, but it makes me feel lightheaded. 

"Yeah, same. It feels weird watching movies by yourself."

  "You watch movies by yourself?"

  "You make it sound like it's a taboo!"

  I shake my head. "It's not, but that's just sad." I mean, why would you watch a movie by yourself? It's so much better when you have people around you even though you're not talking. At least you can talk about it afterwards.

  "Hey! I'm not the only one!"

  Suddenly, I have an idea. "Yeah, but don't you think that's a little bit too lonely? Here, give me your phone." I hold out my hand. Maybe one day we can meet each other again and watch a movie together or hang out. Plus, it'll be so much easier to contact each other since the dating app doesn't let us call the person.

  "Huh?"

  "Just give it to me."

  He hands it to me. I press the home bottom and find out it's lock. Geez, this guy. I turn the phone to face the lock screen at him. "What's your password?"

  "I still don't understand what you're doing," Youngjae states, but still takes the phone from my hand to unlock it and hand it back to me.

  I find his contacts and type in my number. I hand it back to him. "Now you have my number, so you can text me any time you want instead of using the app. Well, that is unless you're talking to other people on there, then I don't mind answering you through there."

Please log in to read the full chapter