Chapter Five

Athazagoraphobia

Key smiled up at the ceiling, the softness of his bed almost strange after the unforgiving forest floor. He and Jae Eun had returned from their camping trip the day before, and Key was still floating happily along in the wake of their new relationship. Closing his eyes, Key pictured the kiss they'd shared yesterday; Jae Eun's soft lips, the way they'd held each other...

 

"Bummie..."
Hot breath, hot hands roaming...
"Bummie!"
Familiar voice calling his name.

 

Key sat up, panting, eyes wide. What the hell was that? That... That flicker of memory had been more intense than anything he'd had before - more even than the one he'd had at the start of the camping trip; that memory had been laced with pain and confusion and this one... Standing, Key started pacing around his room, picking up his cell phone and starting to dial Jae Eun's number. Before he finished, Key paused. For some reason, he was hesitant to press the final number. Slowly, he backed up, the screen returning to his background picture as the last digit was erased. Then, without really thinking about it, he carefully tapped out a different phone number. Key wasn't sure who it belonged to.

"Hello?" a muffled, sleepy voice from the speaker. Key froze; he hadn't realized he'd pressed the call button.

"Hey, hello? Who's there?" The voice was familiar... How was that possible? It wasn't the voice from the flickers he'd been having.

"If you aren't going to say anything, I'm going to hang up now."

"Ah... I... I'm sorry," Key stuttered out, finding his voice. "I... I dialed the wrong number." Before the caller could say anything else, Key hung up. His heart was pounding.

Pacing around the room again, Key wondered what to do next. He had to talk to someone - but he wasn't close to anyone on staff here, and he didn't feel like calling Dr. Park. His thoughts returned to Jae Eun, and Key made up his mind.

Dressing quickly, Key left for town. Calling Jae Eun wouldn't be enough, he'd decided. He wanted the security in having someone's arms around him. He made it to the florist's in good time, though when he entered the store it seemed to be empty. Key heard Jae Eun's voice coming from the office, though, so he made his way through the shop.

Jae Eun was on the phone, his back to the door as he ran a hand through his hair. He seemed stressed, as though he didn't like how the conversation was going.

"No, Uncle. This isn't right! ... He deserves to know the truth... No, his memory is coming back, while we were on the camping trip - "

Key felt his eyes widen. Jae Eun... Jae Eun seemed to know more about Key's amnesia that the older would have guessed.

"Not my decision to make?! It wasn't your decision to keep forcing Key into relapses like that! It's his mind! ... I don't care what SM wanted! As a doctor, you should care more about your patients than your paychecks!" Key covered his mouth to keep himself quiet. What the hell was going on? Forced relapses? Jae Eun's uncle... Had been forcing him to forget everything?

"No, Uncle. Forget it! I'm not going along with this anymore... Key... Kibum deserves to know the truth." Jae Eun hung up, sighing heavily. He turned to leave the office... Only to see Key standing in the way, wide eyed with confusion. Jae Eun, to his credit, didn't even attempt to cover up the phone call. "How much did you hear?" He asked glumly.

"Wh..." Key's voice cracked. Swallowing, he tried again, "What do you mean by... Forced relapses?"

Jae Eun sighed again, waving a hand for Key to have a seat. "You should get comfortable. For me to explain that... I have to start from the beginning."

 

"You mean to tell me... That your uncle... My therapist, purposely sabatoged my treatment because my company wanted a way to break a contract?" Key was disgusted with the words coming out of his mouth, "And you went along with it because you had a crush on me?"

Jae Eun didn't speak, ashamed. Standing, Key looked down at him with a mixture of anger and pity. He left, a flood of memories coming back to him as he made his way back to his room.

 

---

Taemin stared at the phone in his hand, the unknown number blinking up at him. The voice on the other end... It sounded like... No. No, Taemin wouldn't believe it. Key, his hyung, was lost to him forever. He'd seen that for himself. The person who'd called. They'd just sounded similar.

Taemin put the phone in his pocket, going back to work. He'd almost forgotten about the strange call and was getting ready to eat when a rather forcefull gut feeling made him dial up the number.

"Hello? Oh, you're the number I called this morning. Ah, I'm sorry again. I hope I didn't interrupt anything important."

"K... Key hyung?" Taemin asked, his voice tight, "Hyung, it's Taemin."

The phone was silent, and Taemin was worried he'd pushed too far. He tried, and failed, to keep his crying silent.

"T-Taemin? You're the one I called?" Key's voice sounded confused, "I... I just dialed a number I suddenly remembered. I... I didn't know it was yours."

"You... You remembered my phone number."

"It's... Hard to explain over th phone. I... I remember small pieces now.... Taemin-ah?"

"Ne?"

"I'm on my way."