Chapter One

Athazagoraphobia

Jae Eun looked over at the man sitting in the passenger seat. His dark hair, the distinctive scar in his eyebrow, the peaceful smile that was growing over his sleeping face. The man Jae Eun was falling in love with.


From the moment he'd walked into the shop, Jae Eun had recognized Kibum. At the time he had no idea of the male's memory loss, and meeting Key had been both a blessing and a curse. On the one hand, Jae Eun had been given the opportunity to meet one of his idols. On the other hand, it was quickly apparent that Kibum wasn't the same. But as the days turned into weeks, Jae Eun found himself falling for him once again.

The essence of the man was still there, his personality. But it was a bit more... Reserved. Since he wasn't constantly on camera, his antics were more personal and less of a show. This was the Kibum that would have existed had he never joined SHINee.
Jae Eun pulled his car into a dirt parking space, wondering if he were doing the right thing. By not pushing for Key to remember, was he helping or hurting the situation? By falling in love, dating Kibum... Was he potentially ruining everything the man had once worked so hard for?

"Jae Eun... Are we here?" Key asked, opening his eyes slowly and letting out a yawn.

"Not quite," he answered, smiling and starting to unload the car. "We need to sign in, and it'll be a little bit of a hike to the camp site I reserved."

"Hike?"

Jae Eun laughed at the look on the older male's face. "Ne, a hike. Not too long, though. Only about an hour or so."

Key groaned.

 

 

"Yah! Are we there yet?" Key asked as they passed another trail marker.

"Just about, Key," Jae Eun said with a grin, "We've only got a few more yards to go. Trust me, when you see this place, the hike will be worth it."

"It better be..." The older male grumbled. Where he didn't need to take quite as many breaks as either of them had initionally thought, Key's body was still far from its peak, and the hike had definitely drained him.

"Don't worry. When we get to camp, you can rest while I set things up." Jae Eun grinned again, stepping onto a smaller trail. They'd only waled a few feet in when they broke into a clearing. It was decently secluded from the trail, so the two of them would have privacy. Most of the cleared round was sided by forrest, but at the top it backed up to a lake. Key's eyes widened as he took in the view.

"Jae Eun... This is beautiful..."

The younger male smiled, taking off his pack and beginning to clear the ground of stones and twigs where their tent would stand. "I told you it would be worth it! Now, sit down, have some water and a snack bar. I'll have camp set up in no time."

 


"Key? Key get up." Jae Eun gently shook the older male's shoulder, "Come on. If you're that tired, I've got the tent set up."

Key opened his eyes, blushing at Jae Eun. "Mihan... I didn't mean to fall asleep on you."

"It's fine, Key. You're still getting used to physical activity again. I'm sorry. I probably shouldn't have pushed you so hard."

Key rolled his eyes. "Don't coddle me, Lee Jae Eun. I'm glad you've taken me up here." Sighing, Key looked out at the lake, taking in the view once more. "Honestly, you couldn't have had a better idea. After so long seeing the same four walls... This place is heaven."

 

White walls. White light. White coats. Beeping. Shouting.
Key? Key?
KEY!

 

"Key?! Are you alright?" Jae Eun asked, concerned. The older male had gone pale, shaking. "Key?"

"I... I'm fine..." Key shook his head slowly before looking back to Jae Eun with a weak smile. "Just... Another flick."

"Are you sure you're alright? Something was off this time..." Jae Eun spoke softly, gently wiping a bead of sweat from Key's forehead, "You looked scared."

"It... Was a bit clearer this time." Key admitted, "the hospital room, people and the machines freaking out... Someone calling my name..."

Jae Eun frowned, not sure what to do. "Alright... If you're sure you're okay..." He sighed. "I'll start making some dinner."

Key nodded, before quietly pulling out his journal - he didn't know what compelled him to take it on this trip - and writing down the few details he could remember. As he continued to write, now moving on to the ride up and the hike to the camp site, he stole glances at Jae Eun as he set up the fire. Neither spoke to the other, but Key didn't mind the quiet. He closed his eyes and listened to the soft sounds of Jae Eun cooking, the steady sound of lake waves breaking against the shore. He felt more relaxed than he had in a long time.

The food was done just as the sun began to set, and the two men ate heartily after the long day. They talked and laughed, ate and laughed some more. Jae Eun wondered how he ever got so lucky to meet someone who made him feel so in love. Key wondered if he'd ever been happier in his life. Later, in their tent, after Jae Eun had fallen asleep, Key wriggled his sleeping bag as close as he could, drifting into his dreams with his head on Jae Eun's chest.

 

 

 

 




Well, I guess you might have figured it out by now, but I'm impatient, lol. I just couldn't wait any longer to give you guys the first chapter, so here it is.

I'm working very hard on this story, as I really want to do it justice. I want to see it through to the end and give not only you all a sense of closure to the story, but myself as well. It's been living in my head for quite a while now, and I can't wait to see where it takes us.

Again, I want to thank sonnet_sartori for writing the original inspiration for this story. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't have even begun. Please go read her story "In My Absent Memory". I cannot express enough how beautiful and sad that short little piece is, and I can't even begin to describe the way it makes me feel. If not for that story, one of the first I read here, the idea for Letters and YtR might never have wormed its way into my mind and lived with me for this long.

I also want to thank all of you who read, subscribe and upvote my stories. You are what helps drive me to continue writing even on days I don't want to even get out of bed. Knowing I have an audience, that there are people who think my work has value and meaning to them... It's amazing for my sense of self worth.

I love you all,

~ Jordan