“Thanks for moving next door.”

Just Can't Get Enough

You were the luckiest person given the fact that you found a nice little apartment just five minutes from the school, it was a war of who’s gonna contact the landlady first just to secure this place. It was cozy and perfect for you so you were sure your living experience will be comfortable.

What you didn’t predict is how on earth you and Joshua Hong are neighbors. You knew because the landlady mentioned it. Not that it means anything it’s just made you conscious. Because Joshua Hong is the total opposite of you, he’s such a ball of pure soul with extra guts here and there and you can’t help to just admire. He is a gentleman but is a savage when the situation needs. You’ve seen it before, he’s someone everybody respects and sometimes everyone fears. He’s amazing.

Two days before classes start and you were headed home, as soon as you arrived in your hallway you can see the piled boxes outside your apartment door. Seemed your parents dropped these for you while you were out.

“Wow I can’t believe this.” You sigh as you surveyed the boxes

You hear a door open and you whip your to see who it was. It was your neighbour who you were supposed to be avoiding.

He squinted his eye and saw you and also the mountain of boxes, “Do you need help?” he asks

You immediately shake your head and give him your best smile, “No, thank you. I can take care of this”

He’s already folding his sleeves and lifted the nearest box to his door, “Let me help. Your parents we’re here earlier right? We’re those your parents?”

You nodded.

“They gave me vegetables.” He smiled, “This is the least I can do.”

You bit the inside of your cheek and also faceplamed, “I’m sorry.”

He shook his head while smiling and eventually started walking to your door, he motioned for you to open it and you hurriedly took your keys and opened the door. You carried one box and followed him.

It never occurred to you that this day would come. As always you thank yourself for cleaning the apartment yesterday and setting some things up because if you didn’t then Joshua might think you’re unorganized and stuff.

Both of you didn’t talk but just focused on the task. You even argued who gets to bring the big box inside but you were too weak to resist a pleading Joshua Hong.

“So that’s the last of it.” He said after setting the last box down, “Do you need help in de-cluttering?”

“Oh no no no .”You replied quickly, “You helped enough. I don’t know how to thank you.”

He wiped his sweat with shirt and you momentarily closed your eyes because his shirt lifted and you might see his uhm, stomach?

You weren’t rude so you offered something ridiculous so you can express how you’re thankful for the help he gave, “I can cook dinner for us, I mean if you want. I can at least cook to thank you.” Still your eyes closed

He chuckled and that caused you to open an eye, “I have something to do tonight but tomorrow, I’ll take that offer tomorrow night is that good?”

You nodded, “Yeah, whenever you want.”

“Okay.” He waved at you and walked out of the door but before that he peeped again and said, “That was a good way to know my new neighbour. See you Y/N.”

What?

How was moving boxes a good way to know you?

He’s full of wonders.

You plopped down and looked at the ceiling. Moving here was already draining your energy. You can’t believe yourself you were sane when talking to Joshua.

 

This has been a good start of the semester. After class you hurriedly ran to the school’s forgotten garden. You loved hanging out in this quiet place, and people don’t come here often which means you have your special hiding place.

“Hey Y/N” the gardener greeted

You crouched down beside him and started to pluck out weeds, “Why didn’t you wait for me grandpa?”

“Nonsense. I had extra help earlier, the helpful soul left early because of club activities. Now Y/N, aren’t you going to enter a club?”

You shake your head as you try your best to pluck out the weeds, “Not interested.” You reply

“Do you have any friends?”

“Uhh yeah?”

He handed you the shovel, “I don’t see you with anyone though.”

“I have a good neighbour grandpa. He helped me move my things when I moved.”

He stopped weeding, “Ohhh a male.”

“Stop it.”

“Oh well that’s better than no one. Is he handsome?”

You faced him, “Grandpaaaaa?”

He lifted his hands up, “I’m not implying anything.”

 

He didn’t arrive for dinner.

You laugh bitterly.

Maybe he was busy or forgot about it, it didn’t matter.

Remembering how ridiculous you were offering him dinner made you cringe at yourself. Now you’re double embarrassed to face him. Maybe you were too nosy?

Damn it.

“The less I care, the less I will be bothered.” You remind yourself

 

Days fly by and as you wished it went by smoothly. No encounters with Joshua, no encounters with the evil beings and your attendance in taking care of the garden is perfect.

“Hey Gramps, who planted this here? I was supposed to do this today.” You ask

He looked over the plant in front of him, “The student I was talking to you about.”

“Oh.” You acknowledge the work done and preceded to the next

 

You flip your curtain a bit and can already tell that a storm is here. The raindrops on you windows are strong that it makes noises and you can see a tree swaying so hard with the wind. You wrap yourself with your very smooth and thick comforter and started to get ready to sit down and eat dinner.

When suddenly, the lights went out and everything went dark. You frantically look for your phone and switched your flashlight on. This storm might get worse judging that it cut the power source and the insides of your home doesn’t have an emergency light to supply you with, well-- light. You can’t live in the darkness; there is always a thing with darkness that seemed like it choked you so a simple blackout or a dark alley with no street lights scares the hell out of you.

You peek at the hallway outside your apartment and discovered that the emergency light is working.

Your phone battery is only 18%

You’re very hungry.

Desperate times calls for desperate measures.

You ran to your room and picked up your mini table, set it outside, grabbed your comforter and food and settled right just outside your door.

“This is more like it.” You say as you settle in, in one of your most ridiculous ideas

You fiddled with your phone while you ate, not even caring that it’s almost out of battery and the potential threat of not having it later. You wrote a note to buy emergency lights and flashlights since you can’t afford to do this again.

“Why is a big emergency light so expensive?” You mutter to yourself “Why do I feel like I’m broke? It’s just three weeks of classes.”

“Y/N? Why are you eating here?”

You hear the voice of the person who you didn’t want to see what state you’re in right now.

You look at him and you see his confused handsome face, he’s wearing a raincoat and is carrying a plastic bag. It seemed like a minute or two when he started to undo his raincoat and proceeded to sit beside you. He looked at you and motioned his hands signalling you to scoot over. You did.

“What is happening?”

“I’m joining you.”

“Why?”

He opens the bag he bought and inside it were loads of junkfoods. “Same reason that you’re in the hallway eating. Because of the light.” He smiled and opened one packet

You wiped your lips thinking that sauce may be sprawled around it. You were conscious. This is Joshua. You didn’t attempt to start a conversation fearing you’ll say something worth regretting later; this was the guy who declined your invitation to eat dinner. It’s funny because you finally had the courage to talk to him and at least thank him for the help he gave but then I guess you both were not thinking the same.

You let out a big sigh. Even with the noise of the strong wind outside, it sounded louder than you thought.

“What’s wrong?” he broke the silence

You coughed and fixed the comforter around you, “This is weird.”

He reaches out for his water and took a sip, “This isn’t weird. Which part of this is weird to you?”

You arched an eyebrow, “Me and you sitting and eating together in a hallway?” You shake your hand. “No, scratch the weird, this makes no sense.”

“I analysed the situation when saw you. I told you I know why you’re here so what are you eating?” he asks

You hide the now empty Tupperware, “Leftover spaghetti.”

“Ahh. Did you make it?”

“Yeah.”

“All by yourself? Oh wow. Why is it leftover? Did someone else came over and ate it with you?”

You didn’t expect him to be this prying. But it was fine for you, it didn’t hurt to tell the truth out of you right? You’re willing anyway.

“Yeah.” You nodded. “A certain someone--” You adjusted your comforter to hide your face a little bit. “Helped me and as thanks I made this for that person but never showed up during dinner so yeah.”

Out of curiosity if ever he’d realize you’re talking about him, you faced him and you find out he’s facing you.

His eyes widened and mouth slightly opened, “Oh snap.”

I know he’s smart enough to realize this. You thought

You nod and smiled. “Yep.”

He buried his face in his hands and groaned. “Oh no Y/N I’m so sorry.”

You take off the comforter, “It’s okay.”

“No, no, no. It slipped my mind I’m so sorry.” He replied quickly. He brushed his hair using his fingers. “I really had so much to think about that I forgot about our dinner.”

You smiled again and tried so hard not to laugh at him. He’s getting frustrated about something so little. You predicted that he might be busy since he has some other responsibilities than this.

“Give me your number.” He says

Your forehead formed wrinkles, “What?”

“Your phone number.” He reached to his pocket for his phone, “Hmm.” He smiled softly

He handed you his phone and you hesitantly receive it, “What for?”

“So we can arrange your thank-you-meal.” He leaned over to unlock the phone which was already in your hand so you two were suddenly awfully close.

 You backed a little and found no way to exit since your back hit the wall. You focused your attention to his phone instead and typed your number.

“Here.” You said in a whisper

He smiled brightly, “We have been classmates for some time right?”

“Yeah.”

“Why haven’t I noticed you before?”

Because I avoided any opportunity to talk to you, I always chicken away when I have the chance. That’s why this, this right now is so bizarre to me.

Thank you. You hide the smile your mouth formed.

 

“Hey Grandpa~” You poke his shoulder and he turned to give you his gentle smile, “So I noticed that the student already did what I’m supposed to do today huh.”

He laughed, “Just the half, he said he’s busy and apologized. You too should meet eachother so I can give you watermelon from the countryside as thanks for helping me.”

You sit beside him and give him a shoulder hug, “Promise me you’ll eat with us then, and I’m gonna cut the watermelon. No buts.”

“You’re ridiculous. I’ll let the other fellow cut it for us.”

 

“Oh hey Y/N, are you free this Friday night?”

You stopped turning the lock and turned around to see Joshua also in the process of opening his door. You nodded.

He smiled and you hear his door unlock, “Can we have dinner then? I’ll bring whatever ingredients you need.”

You immediately shake your head, “Joshua, its fine. It’s on me.”

“But-“

“You can bring anything else. Drinks maybe?”

He thought for a second and clapped his hand, “Softdrinks.”

You chuckled and nod, “Perfect.”

 

You heard the doorbell ring and you hurried to open the door and Joshua greeted you with two bottles of drinks.

“What’s that?” you pointed the bag he’s holding and motioned for him to come in

He stepped in, “Ice cream.”

You gave him thumbs up and he laughed in return.

Both of you started to eat dinner and talk about the most random things. He’s surprisingly a prankster and an outgoing person, given the soft aura that he emits. He brands himself as the most dangerous man in their club and you wanted to ask for proof so while holding the spoon he’s using to eat ice cream he did some random dance thing and also did the worm dance.

You found out that he’s been living here for years and he’s glad that he has a proper neighbour now since the person who lived here was seldom home.

“Did you vote for me?” he scrunched his nose

You hated him for a second because of his cute scrunching of his nose, “Yeah I did.”

“Wow, thanks.” He wanted a high-five but you punched his open palm instead

“You’re different from what I’ve heard.” He said in the middle of scooping the last bit of ice cream he has

You were taken aback, what rumour that has been circling around about you is never true. You don’t even know where those came from. “Please don’t tell me you believe them.”

He shrugged, “I never judge a person by rumours.”

You sigh in relief, because if he did believe the rumours about you being a crazy person who beats up people, he won’t be here eating with you right now.

It was just one fight. Some girls went to the little garden of this kind gardener and made it into a photoshoot site without permission and even caused damage. You hanged out in that garden often and looking at the injustice the girls did, you asked nicely for compensation since the gardener was too embarrassed.

To cut the long story, it ended in a cat fight.

“I gathered the facts, they were wrong.” He said while gathering the dishes

You hurriedly did the same, “Yeah but I was wrong too. I shouldn’t have let it end that way.” You shrugged

He clenched his fist, “Sometimes, you just have to beat up people so they’d understand.”

“I never knew the day would come that I’d hear you say that.” You say as you turn to him in disbelief

He placed the dishes in the sink and fixed his sleeves, “I should stress the word ‘sometimes’.”

You fixed yours and succeeded to get the sponge first, “That will never happen again. I don’t like violence, it costs too much energy.” You proceed to wash the plates

“So that’s why you’re not in any club.” He picked the plate you washed and rinsed it

“That and I already have to attend something after school.”

“What’s that?” He asks

You looked at him, “It’s a secret.”

He pouted, “I thought we’re close enough for me to know your deep secrets.”

You shake your head in disbelief, either because of what he said or his pout or because you still can’t believe you’re with him in this moment. You a year ago would freak the hell out.

This dinner is the best thing for you right now and a little part of you wished it was the same for him.

 

“Grandpa, I’m sorry I wasn’t able to come here for the last two days. I had an assignment spree.” You explain as you crouch down beside him.

“It’s okay I can tell that midterms is coming.”

You stare at his arm, “You’re missing something but I don’t know what.”

He looked at his arm, “Ah, my watch.”

He seemed upset too and that made you worry, “The watch that your grandchild gave you? Where is it? Did you lose it?”

He nodded, “I’m old but I know I didn’t misplace it anywhere. I took it off yesterday since it was time to water the plants. I placed it in my locker.”

He looked frustrated and you pat his back. Knowing that it had sentimental value made you two-times worried and determined to help him look for it.

“Don’t stress out, I’ll help you I swear.”

He patted your hand, “Thank you. It means a lot.”

“Maybe you should also tell your other friend to help to look for it. He sure will help too.” You explain

He smiled, “He already did. He also noticed my watch-less arm.”

You nodded and looked impressed, “He sure is smart.”

 

“Hey! That’s not yours! Give it back!” You shout and jump and try to reach for the watch that this bastard is holding

 

This watch hunting looked hard to solve but you tried to piece everything. Grandpa’s locker is located in a place that everyone can pass by. Granpda didn’t notice it but his locker was forcefully opened. People who pass by are often varsity players. Mostly by varsity men, it didn’t took you a day to realize that most of your batchmates are varsity players and it didn’t took you two days to find who has it.

 

“Hey Y/N, this watch is mine! What the hell are you talking about?!” he yelled and still is holding the watch out of your reach

You huffed, beginning to get angry and remembered how frustrated Grandpa was at how his watch is still missing. “Give it back or else. You jerk, how could you steal from an old man?”

You didn’t even care that the scene you were causing is in a hallway, people started to look over.

He still acted as if he’s the victim in this situation. “I bought this at a yard sale. Are you sure you want this trouble right now Y/N? I’m getting angry.”

“Well good news for you, I’m getting angry too.” You say and chinned up, not backing out from his threat

You recognize the watch right away when he was showing it to his friends, you have been with grandpa for some time now and he gets happy remembering about the time his grandchild gave it to him. How the watch looked and how it had scratches, you remember them all.

“Are you sure you want to do this?” he eyes his friends

“Just give it back please, it belongs to my friend and it’s very important to him.” You beg, keeping it polite as possible

People were starting to crowd more around the commotion. “So, what? You don’t have proof that it’s his.” He retorted

“His name is engraved in it. So before you humiliate yourself in front of all these people, give it to me.” You explain and sigh as he mocked you as he made faces. “I’m telling the teachers.”

He chuckled, “Who do you think they’ll believe? Me, who’s a good student or you who already had a bad record?”

You were getting impatient, it looked like he won’t give it back to you either. This is the same situation you were in. You’re defending grandpa because of these evil kids. You have patience but it’s gone now.

“You’re not a good student; you just stole from a gardener!” You point at him

He hit your hand, “Why will I steal from a low-life gardener?!”

“Give it to me or I’ll call your parents about this matter.”

People around you gave their “oooohs”

His eyes went wide and launched in position to attack you, instinctively you closed your eyes. In a second the crowd around you went silent and in a second also grew very loud. Shouts from everywhere were heard and you opened your eyes to see Joshua and the guy in the ground beating eachother up. How did this end up in a matter of seconds?

You pulled yourself together to pull back Joshua from the fight. The guy’s goons also helped the other one to get up.

“Hey, hey what the hell are you doing?!” You shouted in a whisper to him, you immediately reached for your handkerchief and pressed it on his bleeding cheek.

He got a hold of your other shaking hand. You felt cold metal and in your hand is the watch that caused this ruckus.

“I believe that this belongs to our friend.” He smiled, lips bleeding but at the same time smiling

 

You didn’t hesitate to ring the doorbell and without a wasting a second the door flew open and you see a wounded Hong Joshua in his pajamas. You barged in his home as if you were here before. You pointed at the long sofa and looked at him.

“Sit here please.” You commanded

He looked amused and obliged to your request that sounded like a command; he sat beside you as you open the kit that you bought.

“You should have been more careful. I never imagined you defending me in that way.” You hissed as you opened the bottle and your other hand busy with the cotton.

He rolled his eyes, “Contrary to popular belief, I punch people if they cross the line.”

You dabbed the cotton hard enough to make it sting, “That’s stupid.”

“Ouch, ouch, ouch.” He cried and got hold of your hand

You retracted your hand from his grasp and glared at him. “Please don’t do that again, Joshua. Please don’t go that far even for me.” You sigh as you finish taping the medical cloth to his wound on his cheek.

“I won’t stand there and let them hit you Y/N, hell any girl shouldn’t be in that situation. You should have waited for me to confront them.”

“He was on the way to sell grandpa’s watch. I didn’t have the time to call you. It happened so fast.” You explain, brows always meeting and shoulders slumped.

 He got a hold of your shoulders and shook you hard, “Hey, hey, hey. I’m fine; the guy who almost punched you is also fine. I only got two weeks of detention and you’re unharmed. Grandpa’s watch is back to him. All is well.”

“Thank you for helping me get his watch.”

“Grandpa is my friend too. It made me upset that someone took it from him. That guy who took it apparently spent his tuition money on computer games and was planning to sell the watch.” He explains, “Oh by the way, it never occurred to me that you were the girl who has been helping the gardener!” he said but immediately regretted because of the cut on his lip

You looked at him in pain and quickly started to attend to it. You kneeled in the sofa so you can be taller than him to get a better look at his lips. You huffed and mentally prepare for this torture, “I’m going to, uhm, do something to your lips so stay still.”

“Oh okay.” He whispered as you closed in, he slightly opened his mouth for your convenience

He’s looking up to you as you attend to his lip, you didn’t think this through. You made mental notes of how hard it was to keep your composure when you’re in front of his plump lips. To not make things awkward as it is you continue your conversation.

“Yeah, remember the secret why I don’t want to join any club?”

He nodded slowly while still staring at you, “Yeah, I connected the dots.”

You can feel his soft breathing and ended the torture you were in and thankfully took your seat.

 

He looked amused and his right cheek, “It’s a pain.”

“What?” You ask and worry start to creep to you because of what he said.

He nods, “Yeah.” He suddenly got a hold of your fingers and gently caresses them. “I didn’t know when it happened but I started to look forward to greeting you in the hallway. I looked forward to the times that I can get your attention when we’re in class.” He took a deep breath and exhaled a long one too. “I didn’t want to destroy our bond but if I don’t take my chance, maybe someone else will.”

“What the hell are you talking about?” You blurt back, not fully understanding what he’s saying.

He gripped your hand that he’s been holding, “I’m confessing Y/N.”

You gaped, “I thought you were gonna tell me I’m a pain in the and stop our friendship.”

He scoffed and chuckled, looking amused again with the expression you have right now. “Oh sweetie,” He cooed, “If I’m with you, everything is fun and meaningful. You and your ridiculous ideas make me a happy person and I just know that you complement my boring life.”

“You’re a busy person, your life isn’t boring.”

“I punched a person for the first time.”

You sigh and cover your mouth with your free hand, “I can’t believe this.” You averted your gaze. “Why do you keep surprising me? Can you atleast warn me? My heart can’t take this.”

He took the hand from your mouth, “Stop mumbling.” His gentle smile is plastered in his face.

You closed your eyes momentarily and opened it to stare at the boy in front of you, “I liked you longer, you know.”

His neck backed a little upon hearing that, “Really?”

“Way, way back. You never noticed me.”

“Well.” He kissed the back of your hands.

You try your best not to squeal or evaporate from the seat.

He looked up and smiled, “Thanks for moving next door.”

 

 

--

 

I'm sorry this took so long to write, school just started and that took me awhile to adjust and now here it is. 
It's kind of surprising that I made this story long-as-hell but I enjoyed writing it so I hope you enjoy reading it as well~

I'll be writing the vernon one shot next! Please anticipate it!