First Day ☾

PROJECT MOONLIGHT ☾
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

MUCH LOVE TO "EXOXO_happyvirus" FOR UPVOTING! ❤︎  (Side note: if a whole set of dialogue with quotations is in italics, assume that it's whispering)   

Da-in's POV

All of a sudden, the doors in front of us start to open. As the doors are slowly disappearing off to the sides, the sun shines in. The bright light is blinding as I haven't seen it in a long time. I lift my hand to shield my eyes.

The light shining in is probably giving everyone false hope, where everything's going to turn out fine.

Haha... What a joke.

When my eyes have adjusted, the doors are open, and I can finally see the outside.

"Oh my God."

The lady from the training class was not kidding. Although I never actually seen the North, I heard people talking about how glorious it is... or was.

Most of the buildings are decapitating and broken down. The cracked roads are splitting at the seams. Shops line the street with broken glass and cars smashed against the outsides. The North looks worse than what my home looked like before.

But everyone knew that we shouldn't stay here for too long or else the runners are going to come. We spread like wildfire, spewing off into different directions.

Jonghyun leads the group and sneaks over to the side. We hide behind a broken down building. As we gather around Jonghyun, he takes out a small device. The device projects a whole layout of the North.

"Ok, so this," Jonghyun says, stretching his fingers out on the map, "...is where we are."

He points to a blinking dot on the map. Jonghyun also plans out our route we're going to take.

"Instead of going through the middle like all of the other teams, we're going off in the sides. We'll also visit the rivers on the far sides later on. Those visits are for washing and drinking purposes."

"Can we also see if there are zombies nearby with this?" Daehwi asks.

Everyone, with me, slowly turn our heads towards Daehwi.

"Man, I can't tell if you're ing with me or being serious right now," I say.

"And if this map can tell us where they are, then our job would be a simple walk in the park, huh?" Minhyun says and whacks Daehwi on the back of his head.

Daehwi winces, rubbing his head. "Man, you guys could just tell me, you know?"

"Aww, but that wouldn't be fun," Jihoon ruffles his hair.

Right now, everyone is on good terms. I hope that it continues like this.

All of a sudden, we hear a shriek in the distance.

"We should go. Even though that shriek was pretty far from where we are, we can't hang around here for too long," Jonghyun says.

I nod and adjust my backpack, which has food bars, medicine, and bullets, on my shoulders. Then the team heads out.

 

The whole squad dash, light on their feet as we don't want anyone or anything to know about our whereabouts. 

As we're walking, I hear a noise...

...A clicking noise.

"! Shut up guys!" I whisper.

"What is it, Da-in? Why are we whispering?" Daniel asks.

After Daniel finishes his sentence, it's quiet enough so that all of them can hear the clicking sounds coming close. Everyone ducks behind a cement wall that was near us.

"Jesus! Should we make a run for it-"

Before Minhyun can finish his sentence, we hear another clicking sound.

Right on the other side of the wall.

I cover my mouth and try not to breathe while the others do the same. Even Jonghyun looks clueless at this point.

When a few seconds pass by, the clicker walks away from the wall. But we can hear it lingering around the area still. There isn't just one clicker either. There are tens of clickers around us now. 

"What are we going to do? We aren't on the high ground, so we don't have the upper hand," Jihoon mouths.

"Well, we can't shoot hem either. There's way too many," I respond.

Jonghyun's eyes light up. He suddenly points to something: a glass bottle.

Minhyun catches on and sneaks over to get the bottle. He then hands the bottle to Jonghyun.

Jonghyun grabs the neck of the bottle and gives us a look. I look at the others and nod along with them. And Jonghyun responds by chucking the bottle as far away as he can from us. 

Before the bottle hits the ground, we quietly bolt out of there in the opposite direction. It seems like the bottle distraction didn't last long because we hear the zombies on our tail.

Jonghyun leads us down an alleyway. We run down the alley until we meet a dead end.

I look behind us. We can go back to where we came from, but we might meet the zombies that were following us.

"Damn it! It's a dead end!"

I tap Jonghyun's shoulder. "Not quite."

I point to a vent set high on the wall in front of us.

Minhyun takes the grating off with a pull and sets it aside. One by one, we push ourselves into the vent.

After Daehwi, I'm the last one to get inside. I pull myself up into the spacing.

But all o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter