It's the Only Way ☾

PROJECT MOONLIGHT ☾
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

( ???'s POV means that anybody could be talking, but you just wouldn't know who)

Woojin's POV

3 Days Until D-Day

Jihoon Hyung and I sit down at a table in the cafeteria after getting our food. We hadn't talked much to each other. As I keep picking at the rice, I look up to see Jihoon Hyung looking somewhere else. I follow his gaze which leads my eyes toward Da-in Noona. Instead of being happy like the other excluded people, she looked heavy hearted. I know why she's upset more than anyone else here.

But I know that if Noona is sad... I look over to Jihoon Hyung, who is also depressed. I chuckle sadly. When one of the two is sad, the other would be, too. If only they knew that they like each other, this situation would've been much easier.

Just then, Daniel invites himself over and pulls out a chair.

"Hey, Woojin, how are the two taking the new rule?"

At this point, I don't know if I should trust Daniel. He seems like he has a lot of secrets that he's not telling us. Why else would he have just disappeared this morning?

"Hmm, I don't know, Hyung. And earlier, why did you disappear? See, we have some unanswered questions right here. Would you care to explain yours?"

He looks a bit taken back at my snarky remarks. I'm usually calm and collected, but there are times where I snap. 

"Well, you see... My shoe had slipped off because someone stepped on the back of it. I lagged behind because the lady who stepped on it kept apologizing."

I sigh because his story seemed sort of realistic in that kind of situation. Also, I can never hold a grudge.

"Haha... Sorry about that, Daniel," I say, rubbing the back of my neck.

"Ah, it's my fault that I didn't catch up to you guys at the end."

Then I remembered the question he had asked. I look at Jihoon, who doesn't even notice Daniel's here. But I still whisper to Daniel. "About Noona and Jihoon Hyung, they aren't taking it well. Because you know..."

I let Daniel have an "Aha!" moment, but he just looks at me, cluelessly. Swear to god, why are these three so dense and oblivious? Even a little kid can tell that Jihoon Hyung and Noona like each other.

"Nevermind." I shake off the thought and start eating the food which had gone cold by now.

 

Da-in's POV

I didn't feel like talking to anyone right now. Not even Woojin. I know that I should be grateful. Only a couple of people were lucky to be spared. I get that, but what's the point if everyone dear to you is going to be gone? 

As I'm giving out cups of water at lunch, I look up to see Jihoon staring right at me. Instantly, I blush and look away. And I'm not sure if I was hallucinating or not, but I thought I saw him blush, too.

For a second, I think about something. Is there a slight chance that Jihoon might like me back?

 

2 Days Until D-day

It's almost dinner, and I don't care if I bring the boxes late to the kitchen. This "community" idea? Bull. I was over it.

I pick up a box, only to drop it onto the floor.

"Ughh..." Even the boxes are going against me.

Rolling my eyes, I groan and shove my hand under the crate. Attempting to lift it with one hand, I struggle and see that it was going to fall. 

But right before it hits the ground, as if it was a scene out of a Korean Drama, a hand catches it.

I look up to see a smiley boy staring back at me.

"You can say that was a CRATE catch." 

Covering my mouth, I try to hold my snickering, but his smile makes it impossible. In the end, we're both laughing, and it seems as if my troubles float away.

"That was TERRIBLE, Daniel," I joked, wiping the tears from my eyes from laughing too hard.

"It's nice seeing you smiling again," Daniel noted.

Realizing his intentions, I bite back a smile, while Daniel flashes me a boyish grin.

"Alright, because you made me be in a good mood, I'll tolerate you."

"Alright, deal!"

 

"You'd think that because you guys are leaving soon that the government would give you a proper meal," I complain.

"But the sticky rice with mango they have is BOMB," Daniel points out.

Did the kitchen ever serve sticky rice? 

 Puzzled, I say, "I don't remember the cafeteria serving sticky rice with mango..."

"Umm... THEY DID! But that was way back then like the first couple days here," Daniel claims, quite suspiciously if you ask me.

But I shake it off because I don't have a great memory either. 

"Ohhh... Anyways what going to happen to your little brother?"

"Eunseok? I'm- I mean my DAD is going to watch him."

"Ohh, I didn't know you had a Dad. I didn't expect your brother to have a Korean name, " I say, looking back at his American name.

He looked confused for a second. "Why? Because of my name? I mean, Daniel wasn't my given name at birth." 

My ears perk up, hearing this. "Really? What's your real name then?"

Daniel wouldn't tell me. But that doesn't mean I won't give up either. Finally, my pestering makes him break.

"My name is..." he says, whispering the name.

"I'm sorry, can you say that a bit louder?" I asked, cupping my hands around my ear.

"My name is... Euigeon," Daniel mumbles, looking away.

I was shocked. I thought his name was going to be embarrassing.

"Euigeon? What's wrong with your name?" I ask.

He looks at me, surprised. "Oh? You said it right! Not much people can say it right, and that's why I changed it.They said my name was too weird."

"Well, I like your name, Euigeon. It's unique," I say, smiling.

I could've sworn I saw Daniel blushing, but I can't tell because of the lighting.

"Ha... Thanks. I think you're unique," Daniel replies.

"My name? Da-in is a common name, though." 

"I wasn't talking about your name, Da-in."

I was dumbfounded. What was he talking about then?

"Then what were you talking about-"

"Oh, we're here, already."

Because I was so into the conversation, I didn't realize we arrived at the kitchen.

"Ah, I guess I should go then," I say, remembering that dinner was in about less than an hour.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter