Chapter 8

Stranded With Seventeen

Another day gone, now it's late afternoon as you notice the cotton candy streaks float around in the sky. The world is going to sleep soon, and the glow of the campfire keeps you warm as you sit by it. Hoshi – Kwon FIYAHHHHH, self-appointed fire keeper - attentively attends to the fire; never letting it die out. The members are all minding their own business, sticking close to the shelter. Joshua's rearranging his S.O.S sign nearby; while Seungkwan rummages through Dino's backpack for no reason. Seeing the familiar things probably reminds him of home, you imagine, and your mind wanders to the well-being of the members who aren't with you here, wishing that they're all fine. You hope that the senior staff members are working hard to rescue you and the boys, since you don't know how much longer that you can survive on this island.

S. Coups and Woozi are at the shore; the older boy showing his dongsaeng how to fish. Wonwoo and Jun are somewhere collecting coconuts, while The8 is rearranging the items in the hut. The Chinese boy likes cleaning, as you found out while talking to him last night.

"Noona, are you okay?" Hoshi looks at you concernedly.

You must've looked miserable for him to ask that, so you smile at him. "I'm fine."

His eyes disappear as he grins. "Great!" He fans the fire vigorously. "I don't know how long we have to stay here."

"I'm sure the other staff must've alerted the authorities. There should be a rescue team looking for us." You reply, looking at S. Coups and Woozi's backs in the distance. Woozi's holding the makeshift fishing rod, conjuring something out from the sea, while S. Coups yells in excitement, his voice echoing out to sea.

"I hope the rest of the members are okay." Hoshi says, as the fire crackles.

The8 joins you and Hoshi at the fire, sitting down next to you, with a weary expression on his face. Hoshi asks him if he's fine, and he nods in response.

No one says anything for the next few moments, when Hoshi, who'd been staring hard into the fire, stands up abruptly.

"We can't just sit around waiting to be rescued, we need to do something!" He throws down the coconut frond he used to fan the fire onto the ground, then marches over to the shore where the two other leaders are having fun fishing. His explosive determination shocks you, but The8 merely nods.

"That's Hoshi-hyung for you. Determined when he knows what he wants to do." The8 comments, watching Hoshi join S. Coups and Woozi, pulling them into an important discussion by the water. 

"You fine?" You notice that The8 looks worn-out, probably from his early morning fishing adventure.

"Just tired." The8 yawns, hugging his knees.

"Here, lie down." You let him rest his head on your lap. "Just take a rest."

Seungkwan, who seems to be done going through Dino's backpack, joins the both of you. "I wanna cuddle, too." He pouts, and nestles his head on your shoulder.

"You're like my older sister, noona." Seungkwan says, and you can feel his voice vibrating through your body. The8 mutters an agreement, and you take it to heart that you'll protect these boys not because it's your job, but they're now like your own family, just after a couple of days stranded on a deserted island.

You hold the two boys close, watching the colours of the sky change. The8 eventually falls asleep, judging from his rhythmic breathing; while Seungkwan hums random songs, almost lulling you to sleep. Soon, just before it gets dark, the rest of the boys join your little group at the campfire – Joshua gives you a little smile, while Jun and Wonwoo saunter over with a pile of coconuts – but the leaders are still in a heated discussion by the shore, fishing all forgotten.

"I wonder what they're talking about." Joshua stokes the fire. It's getting dangerously dark now, and you can barely see the leaders' silhouettes in the distance.

Using his strength, Jun cracks a coconut open, which startles The8 out of his slumber. "It's dark already?" He sits up, mussing his hair. Jun passes the opened coconut to Wonwoo, who takes a drink.

"I'll go get the three of them." Joshua says, looking over at the three boys by the shore.

"It's fine. I think they're coming back." You say, still holding Seungkwan close. True enough, the three leaders are coming back, still deep in discussion as they trudge up the sandy shore. It's getting darker by the moment, with the campfire providing the only light source, apart from the fading sun rays that streak the sky.

"Hey guys. Sorry we're late." S. Coups says as he approaches, cradling the catch of the day. The8 quickly takes the few fishes S. Coups and Woozi had caught before Hoshi dragged them into that all-important discussion by the sea. Without a word, The8 stakes the fishes, while Joshua prepares the barbecue. Everyone knows what to do, after the grilling attempt in the afternoon had somewhat been a success.

"Go grab some water, Woozi." You say, when you notice Woozi's cracked lips. The8 hands him a bottle, which he takes huge gulps from, before passing it to S. Coups.

"We'll talk after dinner tonight." S. Coups says to everyone, between mouthfuls of water.

There's small talk while Joshua grills the fish over the open fire. Everyone keeps hydrated – there's either a coconut or water bottle being passed around your little group. Wonwoo starts telling random stories, and everyone listens to him, since there's not much to do while the fish cooks.

"There's not much, but I hope there's enough to go around." Joshua says, cooling the grilled fish once he's sure it's all cooked. There's only three fishes, and Joshua passes them out. Everyone shares, taking little bites. Seungkwan gives the fish to you after he's taken a bite, but you directly pass it to The8, who's sitting next to you. You let the boys eat since they need it more than you do.

"Noona, you have to eat." S. Coups interjects, when he notices that you're not eating.

"It's fine. Let the boys eat first."

The8 gives you some fish, so you have no choice but to take a bite under S. Coups' hawk eyes. The fish is moist, and it's still warm. You're glad for the food, but you give it back to The8, as Wonwoo comes over to you to hand you a coconut. As you drink the refreshing juice, Wonwoo's performance of the coconut song from earlier pierces into your mind, and you almost choke trying to stifle a laugh.

"There's still some biscuits, though." Jun remembers, hurrying back to the shelter to retrieve a few packets.

Dinner's a homely affair, only marred by Hoshi and Seungkwan squabbling over the last biscuit, which Woozi shoves into his mouth while the two bicker. You help The8 and Joshua clean up, while S. Coups and Jun try to stop Hoshi and Seungkwan from attacking the vocal unit leader as Wonwoo watches with an amused look on his face. Just another typical day with Seventeen.

Finally, after everyone's calmed down – Hoshi back by the fire, fanning the dying embers – S. Coups rounds everyone up, making all of you sit around the campfire. You suddenly feel anxious, as there's a tense atmosphere, everything turning sombre compared to the light-heartedness earlier.

"We need to talk."