Chapter 10

Stranded With Seventeen

You wake up with a jerk, feeling like something is creeping up your leg. Your heart's racing, and there's a cold sheen of sweat on your face. Suddenly the warmth of the campfire seems so far, even though you're sleeping a safe distance away from it. You know you just had a bad dream; but you can't remember what happened. Probably something to do with lions and swimming – but the whole thing is hazy, and your head is pounding just thinking about it. The sprawling limbs all over you makes it more suffocating as you peel your eyes open, just to find yourself in the middle of a Seventeen cuddle pile.

"Noona, are you okay?" Jun whispers. He's the only one awake, sitting near the fire, since he's on lookout duty.

You're trapped between Seungkwan and S. Coups, who are both too close for comfort. You fling away Seungkwan's arm, and wrestle away from S. Coups, who rolls over closer to Joshua on his other side with a grunt. Jun watches you with an amused look as you teeter over a few sleeping bodies to sit next to him – you know that you're not going back to sleep anytime soon.

"Shouldn't you go to sleep?" You find a water bottle and swig some water down your dry throat.

"I'll wake Wonwoo up later. Go back to sleep, noona."

"Not when Coups and Seungkwan are using me as a pillow." They'd been dead weight with their limbs almost crushing you. It had been a feat untangling yourself from the boys, but everyone's using each other as pillows – there's bound to be someone's arm or leg draped over another person.

"Sleep here, then."

"I think I'll keep you company." You leisurely lie down next to him.

"We always sleep on each other all the time. It's comfortable and warm that way." Jun states. You know this as a fact – the boys practically pile on each other when they rest in unconventional places, including right there on the beach.

"If you haven't noticed, I'm not a member of Seventeen."

Jun snorts at your statement. "Touché."

The quiet of the night settles, only marked by the crackling fire and rhythmic snoring from the cuddle pile. As you stare at the ink black sky, your eyes start drooping, and you're half-asleep.

"I kind of want to say something, but I'm not sure how you'll take it." Jun says quietly, poking the fire, unaware of your slipping consciousness.

You hum, barely registering his words, but he takes it as a cue to continue.

"It feels weird, confessing this way."

Someone from the cuddle pile lets out an untimely loud snore.

Jun takes a deep breath, in preparation of what he's about to say. You're barely awake at this point; your consciousness hanging on by a thread with a little voice nagging you that this might be important. A delusional, irrational part of your brain says that Jun will profess his undying love for you, then you'll end up dating and being the best couple in all of Korea and China...

Just the thought of it makes you pop your eyes open and pay attention to the Chinese boy. His gaze is intense, fixed on you, and you sit up as he takes a deep breath, ready to pour his heart out...

"I always make decaffeinated coffee for Woozi, even though he always asks for caffeinated. I don't think he knows the difference since he drinks too much coffee anyway, but I'm scared to think about what might happen if he finds out..." The words tumble out from his mouth in a rush, that you almost miss the gist of his confession.

"I thought it was something major." You mumble. You feel relieved and a teeny bit disappointed; so you have to remind yourself that you're supposed to be taking care of the guys, not fall in love with each and every one of them.

"I had this tiny feeling that we all might die, so I might just share that secret with you." Jun admits, running his fingers through his tousled hair. You hug your legs and close your eyes – his worries are so innocently pure.

"You're the Prince of Positivity. Shouldn't you say that we're all gonna survive?" You pop one eye open to look at him. He's got the most haunted expression on his chiselled face.

"Just don't tell anyone." Jun begs. He's usually calm and collected, but you can sense the tremor in his deep voice – he fears Woozi's wrath.

You shut your eyes and hum in agreement. "If we survive and he finds out, he's going to kill you."

"I know, so don't tell anyone!" His tone is slightly panicky, and he makes you pinky promise, too. 

"Thanks, noona."

"Sure." You close your eyes again, hoping to relax. You'd probably forget about it the next morning anyway, so Jun's confession is safe with you.

A rustling from the cuddle pile makes you sit up; all senses alert. It's only Woozi extricating himself from between Wonwoo and Hoshi, and he joins you and Jun with a huge yawn.

"I'll take over, Jun." Woozi says. "Go sleep."

Jun simply grins, but his eyes spell out fear. "It's fine. I was going to wake Wonwoo up anyway, besides, you need energy for tomorrow."

"I'm already up. Need to plan out a few things." Woozi says, staring blankly into the fire.

Jun doesn't budge, pointedly looking everywhere else except at Woozi. It's a miracle for Woozi, who usually sleeps all day on his days off, to wake up and do mindless things usually delegated for anyone else. He's much too distracted with music producing to think about little chores, but since being stranded on the island he's proven to be extremely resourceful for the group as well – the Busan boy functions well without much rest. "I need instant coffee." Woozi goes off into the shelter to hunt for some coffee packets.

"Why is he up? What if he heard us?" Jun manically whispers, once Woozi is out of hearing range.

"He'll kill you in your sleep, then."

"Ah, I don't want to die. Not on a deserted island, by Woozi's hand." Jun sighs, but instantly freezes up as Woozi returns with a couple of instant coffee packets.

"I thought Joshua said that there's no instant coffee?" You say incredulously, remembering yesterday's breakfast conversation.

Woozi shrugs. "Hidden compartment in Dino's pack. Secret stash."

"There's no hot water to mix it." You point out, looking at Woozi.

"It's fine." Woozi tears open one of the packets, then downs the dry powder mix in one shot.

Jun stares at Woozi with his jaw wide open, as the smaller boy does the same to a second packet, clearing it down his throat with some lukewarm water from a bottle. He looks rejuvenated after the dry caffeine shots, blinking at you and Jun with bright eyes.

"Go to sleep, Jun. I'll be fine for the rest of the night." Woozi says.

"Uh, alright." Jun doesn't bother to argue. "Good night." He hurries off, wedging himself between Wonwoo and Hoshi for extra protection. Just in case.

Woozi immediately gets to work, planning the little details to build the boat. You add some wood to the fire pit so to keep it alive, then you sit near Woozi, observing him. He's too immersed in his work to notice you, mumbling to himself. He doodles a bit on the sand, the rough outline of a boat.

In theory, the idea seems nice. But is it feasible for eight idols and an intern to build a boat to escape an uncharted island?

"Can't figure out how to attach the wood to each other." Woozi says.

"There was some rope in the crate that we found. It should be somewhere." You say, remembering the length of rope that seemed out of place when you'd unpacked the crate with The8 and Seungkwan a couple of days ago. But since then, you've never seen it anymore – Wonwoo probably knows, since he's the one who's been rearranging the things in the shelter. You tell this to Woozi, who immediately marches over to the slumbering Wonwoo.

"Wonwoo-ya." Woozi violently shakes the taller guy. Jun, who's not fully asleep yet, scoots closer to Hoshi. "Wonwoo. Wonwoo. Wonwoo." Woozi shakes Wonwoo every time he calls out his name, and Wonwoo finally sits up with a confused expression.

"What is it?" Wonwoo yawns straight into Woozi's face.

"Where's the rope."

It takes a while for a sleepy Wonwoo to register Woozi's words. "What rope?"

Woozi sighs. "Noona said that there was some rope in the crate that we found. You've been around the hut most of the time, do you know where it is?"

Wonwoo scratches the back of his head, trying to remember in his sleepy state. "I think it's in the corner of the hut; I didn't know what to do with it."

Woozi mutters a quick thank you and walks into the hut, hunting for the rope; as Wonwoo falls back asleep on Jun.

It doesn't take long, and Woozi emerges from the hut clutching a length of rope, before you can offer to help him. It's a whole roll, which should be sufficient for the ambitious plan the boys have in store.

"We'll get Coups hyung to get the coconut logs tomorrow. Shua hyung's gonna design it..." He lets out a sigh. "I hope this works. I can't wait to get back home and write songs." You can barely hear him; he's talking to himself.

"We'll worry about that tomorrow. Just relax."

"I just had two shots of instant coffee." He's twitching. "I need to do something."

You don't know what to do; he looks manic, like he's ready to pounce on someone. "Woozi..."

"I haven't written songs in three days. Three days. Three. Days."

"We'll make it back soon, I'm sure. People would be looking for us, too." You try to sound reassuring.

"Rescue team's sure taking their time." He laughs humourlessly.

You suddenly remember about the seashells Woozi has been subtly collecting over the past few days. You'd see him slipping something into his pocket, and you wonder about his little collection – it might take his mind off things. "Want to go collect seashells?"

Woozi studies your face for a while then nods. "It's a bit dark, but let's go."

You pry Dino's flashlight from S. Coups' fingers – with a silently laughing Woozi, who finds the whole thing funny to some extent – before the two of you set out around the established base. You suggest not to go beyond Joshua's S.O.S sign scattered on the sand, and Woozi simply nods. 

There aren't many shells around, so it ends up becoming more of a stroll for you. Woozi's avidly looking for them, shining the flashlight on the ground every other way, and he finds a couple of beige shells. He dusts them off then keeps them in his pocket, before continuing his scavenger hunt. A calm, comfortable silence envelopes the night, and you pull up the courage to ask him about the shells.

In the lowlight, Woozi looks at you with a soft expression on his face.

"It's all about the little things."