Youth

I feel it coming (you don't have to run)

Author's Note: No ahead, threw something bittersweet into the mix... 


 

A panic attack was setting in, and Taehyung had already slammed the door on his way out of the apartment as Jimin yelled after him. 

Jimin rushed into the hallway and made a blind swipe for his car keys mounted over the wall, slipping on clothes and shoes in a mad hurry. When his hand failed to come in contact with the keys, his eyes shot up and landed on a tiny silver accessory that was all too familiar to him. 

It was a single chain loop earring that Taehyung had bought years ago, and the matching piece had been with Jimin all this while. Taehyung had left his on the door-side cabinet and clearly doesn't want it anymore. More tears spouted unfailingly from Jimin's eyes as he remembered how Taehyung had an endearing attachment to this earring.

[ Flashback - Teen Years ]

"Jiminie! Jimin ah, wait up..." Taehyung came up beside Jimin in a few hurried strides, catching up quickly with those long legs that so often embarrassed Jimin because his own minuscule body made him look like a junior to Taehyung.

Jimin was about to launch a choke-hold attack on Taehyung for daringly crushing his head and belittling their mutual age standing again, when Taehyung's titanic crush dissolved into affectionate patting as he handed Jimin a gift-wrapped box. 

"For you, Jimin ah."

"For me?" Jimin eyed Taehyung with mild suspicion, but curiosity got better of him as he had already opened it. The encased silver earring shone beautifully against the midnight blue lining of the box. Jimin turned to Taehyung in gentle surprise, fully expecting Taehyung to have an inventive explanation for this gift.

"Why did you buy it? Don't you know it's a couple's accessory?"

"Yeah, I do." Taehyung smiled like a true wise-. "But you couldn't take your eyes off it, so I got it just in case you regret and whine later."

Jimin shrieked in protest and whacked Taehyung on the head, but Taehyung was very much immune to Jimin's shrill proclaimations of "rude!", "jerk!" and even "idiot!" as he chuckled loudly. If they couldn't competitively annoy the out of each other, how could they be considered best friends?

"Then where is the other half? Did you lose it??" Jimin accused in a huff, pettily shoving the box containing one earring in Taehyung's face.

"No..." Taehyung turned his head sideways to point at the dangly earring partially covered by his long ash colored hair. "I'm wearing it."

Taehyung was truly full of surprises... Jimin went quiet and looked like he was contemplating implications as solemn as the start of WWIII.

"Jimin..." Taehyung's hands caught Jimin's and he squished it tenderly between both his palms. Breathing deep, he declared as he beheld Jimin in an unwavering gaze. "You're my OTP."

"Huh?" 

Jimin was thrown off guard by Taehyung's uncanny confession. Taehyung bounded at Jimin in excitement, never letting go of Jimin's hand as his feet sprang up and down, looking like a Jumping Jack congratulating Jimin on winning the jackpot.

"Me and you... We're my One True Pairing!!!" Taehyung's eyes sparkled with glee. He was clearly quite obsessed with fandoms and ships from the pop culture trash he guzzled up everyday.

Jimin rolled his eyes at Taehyung like he was completely off his rocker. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"It just means that you're my..." Taehyung scrunched his eyebrows and chewed on his bottom lip. "...Person!" Taehyung yelled like a Eureka moment, and nodded with high satisfaction. 

"My favourite person."

Jimin thought he might have to swear off sugar forever, but as he gazed upon Taehyung's blinding smile that edged so high up his face like a flood light in a stadium, Jimin was so moved by Taehyung's happiness that he was thankful to be a part of it.

"Ok, you can keep the earring."

"I bought it, Jimin. OF COURSE I get to keep it."

"Yeah, keep it safe. I'd pawn mine once we break up."

"Aww Jiminie! This thing is no good unless it's in a pair! I'd let you have mine."

"So I can give it to someone else? How convenient..."

"Does that mean you'd no longer love me?"

"Of course not, silly."

"I look smoking hot with this earring."

"That makes two of us."

[ Flashback ends ]

Jimin tightened his fist around the earring as he drove towards the airport, praying hard to find Taehyung, and asking the higher powers for nothing more than a last chance to express how he loved him.

His frustration was almost driving him to bang his head against the dashboard, and the earring gripped in his palm was just a painful reminder that he had failed to defend Taehyung's happiness. How could he have taken him for granted? How could he assume that Taehyung would always be there for him?

He felt sick with hate for himself, and marvelled at his naivety for thinking that Taehyung would always have love for him. Taehyung leaving him the earring was a hint that that he wanted to cut ties with Jimin.

But little did he know, Taehyung just felt like Jimin no longer loved him. 

 


 

Author's Note: 

Now I feel like I've endeared Taehyung to myself, and Jimin isn't good enough for him... Lol. I'm supposed to make them both deserve each other.

Vmin with dangly earrings is such a hot concept. Soooo looking forward to BTS comeback. And you know, I was remembering Taehyung giving Jimin the snow globe and he legit called Jimin's name so affectionately, "Jimin ah, for you" So there you go. My inspiration for this chapter. I just wanted Taehyung to leave a piece of him behind ._. Please do leave me a supportive sign of your reading