Mini Series: Half Brothers: Punishment

Mini Drama: Half Brothers

Mini Series: Half Brothers: Punishment

 

            Everyone heard everything the brothers talked about from the outside. Those screams were enough to pierce their heart many times. The wound was just getting deeper and deeper.

 

Seungcheol went out weak. His knees and hands were trembling. As soon as he closed the door, he collapsed. The boys rescued him. Poor Seungcheol, heavens had given him a punishment that his poor heart and body couldn’t take.

 

While being attacked by his asthma -with the oxygen on his mouth, Cheol cried nonstop. His tears couldn’t just stop. The sorrow he was feeling couldn’t just leave him alone. He was stuck. He was broken.

 

Seungcheol:

KwangSoo-ssi, I’m leaving Jeonghan to you.

I can’t face him anymore. I cannot show myself to him … I caused him so much pain.

I deserve this…

(He forced a smirk)

No… I deserve more.

(Breathed heavily)

 

KwangSoo:

Don’t say that.

Jeonghan is a forgiving person.

He’s just suffering from what he experienced, Cheol.

You know, he told me how much he loves you and SungJae; even though, his heart is aching.

(He comforted him)

Be strong for the both of you and for your family.

 

Seungcheol:

Please rescue him.

(With a weak voice)

Please let him wear that smile again.

Please.

(He pleaded)

 

KwangSoo:

Don’t worry, everything will be fine.

You know how to create that smile more than I am.

(He smiled)

 

Seungcheol:

I do not deserve his forgiveness. I do not deserve his love…

 

Sung Jae:

Don’t say that, hyung.

 

Seungcheol:

(He smiled sadly)

Before…

That word (hyung) gives me happiness… but now, it’s a word that makes my little brother die in pain.

My poor Jeonghan…

What have I done?

 

Il Kook:

Seungcheol, let’s just give him time. I’m sure he didn’t mean what he had said.

 

Seungcheol:

No… He’s right.

I hurt him and this is my punishment.

(He cried)

If I could just turn back the time.

 

        Seungcheol displayed a weak smile with his tears continuously pouring down his cheeks leaning on the walls, remembering their first encounter to their little fights and bonding together.

 

Seungcheol:

I adored him so much.

(He smiled while crying like a fool)

He said…

He said ‘I love you’ like mom did when I was a kid.

It felt so good. I feel loved…

But now…

He’s suffering because of me.

(He sighed and sobbed)

If I just listened.

 

        SungJae embraced him.

 

SungJae:

Hyung, sorry for all that I did to you.

(His tears flows down his cheeks.)

Let’s trust each other, hyung. Everything will be fine.

 

Seungcheol:

I don’t know SungJae-ah.

I failed.

 

Sung Hoon:

Don’t say that. There’s still time.

You can still change everything.

I think you need a rest, Cheol.

 

Seungcheol:

I can’t rest when Jeonghan is still hurting.

 

Il Kook:

Cheol… please… just follow Sung Hoon first. Your health is important.

 

        Cheol went home weak and sad. And SungJae was the one took good care of him that time. On the other hand, Il Kook and Choi grandpa were still in the hospital, and they never left Jeonghan alone.

 

        Jeonghan requested that he wanted to be discharged because he feels sick whenever he’s at the hospital. He also requested to see his friend who was currently confined beside his room.

 

-Mingyu’s Room-

 

        Mingyu opened his eyes not long time ago, and Jeonghan decided to pay him a visit and embraced him tightly.

 

Jeonghan:

Mingyu-ya, thank you for everything.

Promise me you won’t do that anymore for me.

 

Mingyu:

(He smirked)

I don’t like.

I will do it every time you are in trouble. We’re buddies right?

 

Jeonghan:

But I almost got you killed.

 

Mingyu:

No.

Who says I’m critical?

I’m tough as steel, you know.

 

Jeonghan:

The doctor did, imma!

 

Mingyu:

(He laughed)

Forget that. I’m fine now.

How are you now?

 

Jeonghan:

I’m okay now.

I will go home now. I will visit you sometimes.

 

Mingyu:

(Touched Jeonghan’s face)

I heard everything from your hyung.

I’m sorry, I’m not strong enough to save you that night.

 

Jeonghan:

We are okay now, Mingyu ya… that’s what’s important.

(He smiled gently)

Rest well, Mingyu ya.

Let’s go out when you are good to go home.

(Kissed Mingyu’s forehead)

Thank you.

 

Mingyu:

Welcome.

Saranghae~

(Acted cutely; even though, his back ached from his animated movement)

 

Jeonghan:

Saranghae~

(He smiled)

 

        However, after he had gone out of the room, his angelic smile faded. Fear and anger covered his pretty face once again.

 

Il Kook:

Han-ah, you might want to live in your suite with KwangSoo-ssi.

 

Jeonghan:

Thank you sir but…

 

Il Kook:

Please accept it, son.

Please.

 

Jeonghan:

Then, we will. Thank you, sir.

 

Il Kook:

No need to thank me, Jeonghan. It’s my responsibility.

 

Jeonghan:

Thank you, sir.

I’m sorry to cause you so much trouble.

(Looked at KwangSoo)

Hyung, let’s go.

(Then he smiled -only at KwangSoo.)

Can you steam me sweet potatoes now?

 

KwangSoo:

Let’s go to the market first.

(He smiled)

 

Il Kook:

There are already groceries in there. No need to bother yourself.

Enjoy everything.

(He smiled as he gave a card to Jeonghan)

I believe you left this. (cards)

 

Jeonghan:

I will just look for a job, sir.

Thank you for your kindness.

 

Il Kook:

Please Jeonghan, for you and for KwangSoo ssi. We owe him a lot.

 

Jeonghan:

I see.

Then why don’t you give it to him.

 

Il Kook:

Jeonghan…

 

Jeonghan:

(With cold yet kind stares)

Alright. Thank you sir.

I will pay everything when I got a job.

 

Il Kook:

No need.

And your friends are waiting for you in school.

(He smiled)

Wonwoo said that you better go next week.

 

        So, the two went home in their new house. KwangSoo was so amazed on how rich Jeonghan’s family was. As soon as they were settled, KwangSoo cooked some nice food for Jeonghan.

 

 

        Every day, Jeonghan remained quiet. Sometimes, he cries alone remembering everything he had been through. He always thinks of Hansol. He was worried that his baby brother was getting hungry, sick or hurt. He missed his little angel so much, but all he could do was to wait for the news.

 

        Jeonghan was spending his morning weeping for his baby brother; his afternoon was full of anger, remembering all Seungcheol had said to him; and in every night, he suffers from nightmares. He couldn’t just close his eyes and go to sleep peacefully like before. His bad experiences were haunting him. It’s like the events were on the loop and it’s happening again and again.

 

        One day, Jeonghan started going back to school again. He was happy seeing his friends, but it was really hard to show them when he could ever be happy again. He couldn’t show them his sweet smiles. He couldn’t let them hear his sweet chuckles and teases because he’s not fine at all. And he didn’t know when he would feel fine again.

 

Wonwoo and his friends were extremely worried. They let him be, but the do little things to make their friend happy again; though, it was not really Wonwoo’s forte compared to his jolly and active friends.  

 

Jeonghan completely changed. The sparkle in his eyes had gone missing; the sweet and passionate voice had vanished; and his warmth and life became cold and dead. It was hard for Jeonghan to breathe every day. The poor angel was suffering from his trauma; in addition to that, he had still no good news from his poor baby brother.  

 

        Until, one day, Ha Jin was found by the authorities and handed her over to Choi family. Ha Jin seeing her lover back then, couldn’t make an eye contact to him. She was ashamed and angry at the same time.

 

Cheol went straight right to the point and asked where Hansol could be. The only answer she had was, she sold the poor boy to his biological father, and that’s it. She just assumed that they flew back in America. 

 

        Seungcheol couldn’t miss any time. He immediately contacted the embassy and asked for their cooperation to find Hansol. After a few hours, the embassy contacted them back and confirmed that they were able to fly back to America last month. The personnel managed to call John, Hansol’s father, and he was able to relay the message Cheol said. Upon receiving Seungcheol’s number, John, immediately called him back.

 

The young tycoon told them everything. He told them about what happened. Fortunately, upon hearing it, the couple agreed to cooperate. Besides, the poor boy kept on calling Jeonghan’s name every night as he cry.

 

Seungcheol and Sung Hoon arranged their flight, and their accommodation immediately in order for Hansol to meet his hyung again. They made sure that everything would be perfect when Hansol arrives.

 

        Seungcheol was very confident that everything would be fine starting that day; though, he’s not sure if Jeonghan would still accept him. At least he did something to lessen Jeonghan’s suffering. That day, Seugncheol had the courage to face Jeonghan again.

 

It was already night when he went to Jeonghan’s suite. KwangSoo was not there because he was on his duty, but he was surprised seeing Wonwoo sitting and waiting at the front door.

 

Seungcheol:

Wonwoo? Why are you here?

 

Wonwoo:

Ah, hyung… Jeonghan did not come to school today. I am worried. I knocked at the door but no one’s answering.

 

Seungcheol:

What?

 

Wonwoo:

He’s been forcing his smile, but I can see that he’s sad. He’s thinking of something and I think he’s having a hard time moving on from what happened.

It must have been terrible.

(He bowed down his head showing his sympathy for Jeonghan)

Hyung, do you know the password?

 

Seungcheol:

Maybe.

 

He tried Jeognhan’s birthday but it was not. Then he tried Hansol’s birthday but it was not. He called the police man and asked for the password because he needed to check if Jeonghan was inside the house. KwangSoo gave his birthdate immediately.

 

-Suite-

 

They entered the house and it seemed like no one’s there. After a while, they could hear the stream of water coming from the bathroom- it’s the sound of shower. Wonwoo and Seungcheol hurried. They knocked upon the door but Jeonghan won’t open. They became anxious. They kicked and destroyed the door, only to find Jeonghan lying on the bathtub drowning himself with his own blood.

 

Seeing this, Seungcheol felt his heart stop. Everything was in slow motion. He froze; moreover, he couldn’t hear anything besides his heavy breathing.

 

On the other hand, Wonwoo immediately responded as he checked his pulse and pressed the pressure on his wrist to prevent blood from coming out.

 

Wonwoo:

Hyung!

Please call the ambulance!

 

        But he was still frozen and blank, so Wonwoo asked him to put the pressure instead, and he was the one who called the ambulance.

 

        Straightaway, Jeonghan was brought to the hospital again and was saved; though, he almost die due to blood loss.

 

Choi family could never imagine that they would all gather in the hospital once again. They thought, Jeonghan was slowly recovering, but they couldn’t blame him. It was tough for him, especially when his only source of life was taken away from him.

 

        Seungcheol felt really lost. It traumatized him seeing his beloved brother chose death, killing his own life because he couldn’t take the pain anymore. He felt burden and thought that it was he who almost killed his brother. Seungcheol nearly die from crying and pain. He wanted to kill himself instead. It was suffocating. Too much! He couldn’t take it anymore and felt giving up. He wanted to be forgiven and be with Jeonghan again, that’s why he’s doing his best. But for all he knew, it was just his selfishness again. He thought Jeonghan didn’t want him anymore. That he was just forcing himself to him, resulting for Jeonghan to push himself to death because he didn’t consider his feelings again… he failed once again.

 

Seungcheol:

It hurts!

(He muttered)

It hurts!

 

Il Kook:

Cheol, be strong.

 

Seungcheol:

(Held his father’s arms and wished for an embrace)

It hurts, dad.

It really hurts.

(Cried his heart out.)

 

        Il Kook embraced him. Il Kook embraced his son once again after a long time. He embraced him tightly and cried together with him- like a family. He should have done that before, long time ago. He should have shown Seungcheol his love, so he did not stray and went far away from him. Il Kook felt it was all his fault. Now his poor sons were suffering.

 

Il Kook:

I know.

We must endure it, Seungcheol… for Jeonghan.

(He Seungcheol’s head)

Be strong.

 

Seungcheol:

(Remembering the vision he saw Jeonghan soaked in red.)

He was soaked in his own blood.

He tried to kill himself because of what I did.

It hurts me here.

(Hurting himself on his chest)

It’s hurting me so much, dad.

I don’t know what to do anymore.

(He slowly got into his knees)

It’s all my fault.

 

SungJae:

Hyung…

Please don’t be like this.

(He cried with them.)

 

        Later on, Mingyu went as soon as he heard the news. He was in panic learning that Jeonghan tried to kill himself.

 

Mingyu:

Is everything alright?

 

Wonwoo:

He’s safe now.

 

Mingyu:

(He noticed how hurt Seungcheol was)

Hyung!

Please rest. You need it.

He needs you.

 

Seungcheol:

He doesn’t need a good-for-nothing person like me.

 

Mingyu:

He loves you dearly, hyung.

Please fight for him too.

I know it hurts, but everything will be okay.

I’ll talk to him.

 

        They were all waiting outside the room and it was about 5 in the morning when KwangSoo arrived. He couldn’t get out of his duty because there was an emergency operation the time Sung Hoon called. He rushed to the hospital and waited outside together with their family.

 

        It was late in the afternoon when Jeonghan woke up. That time he was calm staring blankly at the white ceiling of the hospital.

 

Mingyu:

Jeonghan-ah, you okay now?

(With a tender smile)

 

Wonwoo:

You must be hungry.

Here, we brought you something.

 

Jeonghan:

(He smiled bitterly)

Even heavens reject me, huh?

 

Mingyu:

Don’t say that.

(Caressed his head)

 

Jeonghan:

Mingyu ya. I’m tired already.

 

Wonwoo:

I thought you want to be a doctor Jeonghan. Don’t just give up.

 

Jeonghan:

I’d rather die, Wonwoo ya.

(He cried so hard)

I cannot close my eyes because I remember every time they touched me. I can feel the pain of the torture… I-

(He bit his lower lip.)

I cannot eat because I don’t know where my brother is.

I can’t breathe anymore.

Just kill me… please… just kill me.

Let me rest.

 

        The two boys embraced him tight.

 

Mingyu:

Don’t say that. I’ll be sad.

 

Wonwoo:

Jeonghan-ah, don’t you want to see Hansol again?

 

Jeonghan:

When will that happen?

 

Wonwoo:

Soon.

So stop crying.

(Wiped his tears bravely)

 

        Seungcheol then, knocked on the door as the two boys signaled from the window, and entered the room.

 

Seungcheol:

Jeonghan-ah… please… I’m begging you don’t do that again.

 

Jeonghan:

I don’t like to see him.

Let him out.

Let him out!

(Threw things on Seungcheol, that he even removed his dextrose and pushed it towards the poor man. While the Mingyu was holding him tight.)

 

Seungcheol:

Please Jeonghan, listen for me just this once.

I-I promise not to show my face anymore, just listen.

(He ended up crying again)

 

        Jeonghan stopped as he saw his hyung started crying. He calmed himself and hear what he had to say.

 

        Jeonghan tightened his grip on Mingyu’s embrace.

 

Seungcheol:

Please Jeonghan, stop hurting yourself.

Please.

 

Jeonghan:

You don’t have to bother yourself, sir. You have your wife and child to take good care of. Go now.

I’m tired. Please let me be.

 

Seungcheol:

Jeonghan…

 

Wonwoo:

Ya! You want to move on, but ended up killing yourself?!

You are not the Jeonghan I know.

(He lose his temper)

Jeonghan-ah, can you just listen to him for once?

 

Seungcheol:

Wonwoo… I’m okay.

 

Jeonghan:

I’m not!

 

Seungcheol:

Han-ah… please listen to me. I will be really quick.

 

Jeonghan:

Then start now.

 

Seungcheol:

We already found Hansol.

(Wiping his tears)

He’s coming back. I promise.

So... don’t cry anymore. He’s coming back.

I promise.

 

        He wanted to go near Jeonghan and embraced him, as well as, wiped his tears, but how could he do that when he was the cause of it?

 

Seungcheol:

Hansol will come back, Jeonghan.

So please, wait a little longer.

 

        Jeonghan’s poor hyung left immediately as he promised, so that he could rest.

 

        Days had passed, Jeonghan stopped talking to anyone. He just stared at the ceiling for the days waiting for Hansol to meet him. Sometimes, he just cry all by himself, but no one knows how painful his heart was enduring. He had enough. He’s tired.