Toxic Valentine

Are you down for the ride? (TaeNy One-shot Collection)

Summary: Nothing embodies love like a bad case of food poisoning during med school. (Continuation to the previous medical sorority au: We love like battleships)

Category: I feel bad for calling this fluff...but it's fluff


Taeyeon's lungs were burning, but she daren’t stop. Zipping past the wards as fast as her feet could carry her, she reached the emergency room in no time.
 

She quickly scanned each occupied bed until she found the person she was looking for.
 

Tiffany looked pale and exhausted as she lay on the hospital bed with an IV attached to her hand, but once she saw Taeyeon, it was apparent how her face lit up immediately, her eyes crinkling just slightly – a ghost of her usual signature smile.
 

Taeyeon practically shoved past the semi-circle of girls surrounding her, clutching onto Tiffany's free hand like it was her lifeline. “Are you okay? What happened?” She ignored the hushed gasps of the others, only searching Tiffany's face for any sign of pain or discomfort.
 

“I’m okay,” Tiffany croaked out, trying her best to reassure her girlfriend despite how worse for wear she currently looked - and felt. “Just some food poisoning, I think.”
 

Taeyeon quickly turned to face Tiffany's friends from her sorority. “Is she okay?” She asked them.
 

Sooyoung was too busy staring lasers into their joined hands. Yuri was looking back and forth between them like she was watching two aliens interact. Thankfully, Sunny - who seemed only mildly surprised at the revelation - answered her. “She had major diarrhea and vomiting since ten. We rushed her here because her blood pressure became really low and her heart rate went up. She’s being resuscitated with fluids right now, and gradually her vitals are returning to normal, so we’re very hopeful.”
 

Taeyeon nodded along, swallowing the information like a bitter pill. Tiffany was rubbing the back of her hand with her thumb, trying to comfort her like she was the one who was ill.
 

“Can you give us a minute?” Tiffany asked her friends, their shock and curiosity so palpable that it was almost stifling.
 

Conceding, Sunny dragged Sooyoung and Yuri a few meters away, where they began to speak in hushed tones with each other. Tiffany watched them with a frown.
 

“I’m sorry.” Taeyeon tugged softly at her hand, their eyes meeting against the harsh white of the room. “I didn’t mean for them to find out like this.”
 

Tiffany shrugged, resigned. “It’s…whatever. They were bound to find out soon anyway. At least they won’t bombard me with questions right away since I’m sick.”
 

“Are you really okay?” Taeyeon's voice was small, worried. She felt useless amidst the licensed doctors in the hospital who actually knew how to treat her girlfriend and make her better.
 

“Yeah.” Tiffany reassured her with another soft squeeze. “Don’t worry. Wait – how did you find out I was here anyway?”
 

Taeyeon dragged a chair beside Tiffany's bed and proceeded to sit down. “My umm…sisters. The ones working a shift here in the ER told us through chat that Mu’s president was dehydrated and sick.”
 

“Oh.”
 

“Why didn’t you tell me that you were having problems since ten? I could’ve helped out or brought you here earlier…”
 

“I was with Sooyoung and Sunny in their dorm, studying, so I had company. The diarrhea and vomiting stopped for a while so I thought the worst was over, but then my BP dropped and…yeah. But I’m here now, so stop worrying, okay? One of my sisters also has a shift here tonight, so she’s the one taking care of me.” Tiffany closed her eyes and readjusted herself on the bed, a little drained from the conversation.
 

Taeyeon noticed and her concern grew, but she knew it was necessary for Tiffany to get some rest. “I’m sorry. Please rest. I’ll be here.” She flitted her eyes to Tiffany's friends before lifting her hand and giving it a soft kiss. “Just give me a second with your friends, okay?” Taeyeon stood up and walked towards them, a bit nervous. Three against one isn’t fair. Ugh.
 

“Be nice! I love her!” Tiffany yelled out as best as she could to the three. They all swiveled their heads towards Tiffany and the surprised Taeyeon, who was now turning a fine shade of red. Taeyeon wasn’t sure, but their stances seemed to relax and their regard of her more curious than hostile.
 

Scratch that. Three against two. She couldn’t believe she forgot that Tiffany was with her, every step of the way. Taeyeon reached the group, smiling softly, knowing that even if she lost this battle, she’d already won the war.

 


A/N:

Ha! Look! Another one! Based off more real-life events because a lot of my classmates (and friends) had food poisoning recently. And my sick brain was like "this is a GREAT idea for another story! wow! wowowow!" lmao I can't with myself