the river

Speaking Truthfully
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's impossible to know the most vulnerable part of your heart without experiencing the moment which precipitates the response for that particular tissue to work. A moment that will unimaginably hurt, but with the sure advantage of knowing your anatomy more than you initially did.

For Sana, that moment was seeing Tzuyu have hers. A silly mistake, a misunderstanding, the tiny flicker of spark that managed to grow into an obstinate blaze. Tzuyu loved her family more than anything, so much that the mere thought of having them be unhappy was enough to completely shatter her. With the whole China/Taiwan misunderstanding, the eight girls have never seen Tzuyu so brittle. She would isolate herself from them and she would call her family because, in that certain period of time, nothing else mattered.

The girls tried. They all tried lifting Tzuyu's spirits, and though Tzuyu appreciated their efforts, it wasn't enough. They all agreed upon themselves that perhaps it was best to leave it alone for a while. They made the right decision.

However, Sana couldn't endure the occasional choked sobs that she'd catch coming from the basement or the inability to comfort the source. Those were the moments which unimaginably hurt.

And those were just what she needed to sneak into the dark basement at midnight. The sight of a sleeping shell of glum, hugging herself on a couch too small for her height. With soft steps, she walked towards Tzuyu and crouched as to get her face on the same level, she extended her hand and her hair; then her face, her neck, her shoulder, her arm. Then back up.

"Wake up, Tzuyu," Sana whispered, her hand lingering on Tzuyu's sides. She repeated the same words a couple more times before Tzuyu's eyes flutter open.

"Sana, wha-"

"Stand up, now. We're going on a walk. Let's go," Sana stated, standing up abruptly, clasping Tzuyu's hand.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter