Brouillards.I- On that vast plain where the cold southwind plays, a fair choice is given

Brumes et brouillards (Mist and rain)

A man slowly opened his eyes. But everything he saw was a blurry mess. He blinked and blinked until his eyesight went back to normal. But it seemed like doing this motion only gave him a growing headache. It was as if a million needles were poking at every nook and crany of his brain. He closed his eyes a little. He then took a breath and re-opened them. The first thing he saw was a ceiling. It was painted in a faded white with rotten blackish exposed timber. Moss was growing on it and he could even see a large hole in the ceiling. The man was very confused as he turned his trobbing head to the left. Broken chairs, table, an old Tv and trash greeted him. He turned his head to the right only to see the exact same thing. Trash littering the ground. As for himself, he noticed he was laying down on a dirty futon. The man furrowed his brow, completly at a loss. "What am I doing in this run-down house ? How come ? Wasn’t I on my way home ?"


- Awake ?
Earing a cold voice coming from nowhere, the man jumped on his feet in fright as he looked around him. Unfortunatly, only darkness was there.


- Is… is someone here ? The man asked as he fearfully looked around.
- There is only me. Replied a man’s voice.
Scared, the man faced the black corner where he heard the voice.
- Who… who are you ? Wh… why am I he…here ?
- What ? Haven't you realised it yet ? I’m the man who kidnapped you.
- Ki… kid…napped ? What for ?
- I brought you here to give you a choice.
- What ?
- Don’t worry, it is a rather simple choice. 
- I don’t… I don’t understand what you mean ? 
- You don’t have to understand, you just have to make a choice, Kwon SongHo-yah.
The man flinched.
- A choice ? And How… how… did… you know… my name ?


The voice laughed cold-bloodedly.
- I know many things about you SongHo-Yah. You went to the army before going to Myongji university and majored in Political Science and Diplomacy with good result. You then got a job in the government as a secretary for the ministry of foreign affairs. You are currently engaged to Kang Haneul who went to Ewha Womans University whom work as an english teacher in a girls high school. As for your parents; your father is deceased and your mother live with you and your fiancée right now in that really fancy house you brought three years ago with some ‘help’.
Kwon SongHo mouth fell open. Staring wide eyed at the black corner.
- How… how do you know all of this ? Just who are you ?
- Catch !
- Huh ?
A black object was throw in Kwon SongHo’s direction. He catched it on reflex. When his eyes fell on the black object he immediatly recognized it. It was an I-phone with a ‘Rilakkuma’ phone case on. Kwon SongHo lifted his head back up, this time anger was mixed with fear in his gaze.
- WHAT DID YOU DO TO HANEUL, YOU SON OF A !


The voice once again laughed emotionlessly.
- Tut tut tut…. Careful, SongHo-yah. You wouldn’t want Haneul’s pretty head to blew up, right ?
- NO ! Mercy ! Have mercy ! Please ! I beg of you !
- Unlock the phone and take a look.
SongHo did as he was told. Soon a video was playing showing Haneul and his mother tighly bound and blindfolded in a small room. At this point, SongHo was crying, snot running down his nose.


- Do you understand your situation better now ?
SongHo quietly nodded his head.
- Do you think you can make a choice now ?
Another nod of the head. It wasn’t like he had much of a choice with hostage at his disposal. He just couldn’t refuse him.
- Good.
- What do you want me to do ? Does it has anything to do with the ministry of foreign affairs ? Do you want me to spy on a special case ? I will do it ! I will do it all ! So please...
- I don’t care about your foreign ministry or whatnot ! Roared the kidnapper’s voice. All that I want to know is if you are ready to throw away your life for those you hold dear, SongHo-yah.
- I… I will do anything !
- I want to buy your life and use it howhever I want in exchange of the life of your dear mother and fiancée. What do you think ? A fair choice, right ?
SongHo was left speechless for a while before he could recover his speaking ability.
- Huh ?
- What ? Can’t trade your little life for your mother and fiancée’s sake ? Oh, well it’s okay. I will just have to kill you three and we won’t have to talk about it anymore.
-No ! Anything but that ! I will do it ! I will even kill myself if I have to ! I will ! I promise ! So please let them go, I beg you !
- Such a good boy. The voice answered back, still without any emotion. 
The kidnapper trew a black purse at SongHo’s feet.


- Here, take it.
- Wha… what is it ? SongHo asked in a trembling voice.
- Your suicidal tool. Open it.
SongHo gulped down a mouthful of salive before bracing himself to open this poisoned gift. Inside the pouch, a gun was quietly laying there.
SongHo, completly frightened, dropped the pouch on the the dirty ground.
- Isn it beautiful ? I brought it especially for you. It’s an Hi-Point C-9 semi-automatic Pistol. Since I knew you have never held a gun in your life, I put a little manual for begginer in the purse. Aren’t I nice ?


SongHo’s legs turned soft on him and were no longer able to support him; His knee loudly bumped onto the dirty floor, completly stunned stupid.
- In two days, I will send you an adress on this phone. Inside the truck of your car, there is a package that you will deliver in a certain place for me. After it’s done you will sent  me a message and I will give you another adress. You will stay at the place until it’s time to use the gift I gave you. Understood ?
A heavy and intense silence fell betwen Kwon SongHo and the kidnapper. The former eyes flickering with uncertainty and dread.
- By the way, I think you have thought about it but if you call the police I will kill you and the two women, if you don’t go there in two days, I will kill you as well as the women. If you tell anyone of your entourage of our little agreement or have a suspicious attitude I will, without a doubt, kill you and the women. But if you do as you are told, I will let your fiancée and mother go.


SongHo laughed hopelessly in between two sobs.
- If I do as you ordered, will you let Haneul and my mother go ? Can I really believe these words ?
- As long as you respect the end of your deal, you can rest asured I will respect my promise. I will free your precious Haneul and your mother. I will even send you a video on how they are doing each time you do the task I asked you to do until your end.
SongHo stared at the phone. The video was set on repeat. He clenched the cellphone in his fist. "If I do I die, if I don’t I also die. At least mom and Haneul would be able to leave unscathed".


As if it could hear SongHo inner thoughts tip in his favor, the voice asked :
- Do we have a deal, SongHo-yah ?
SongHo took a deep breath, his eyes pressed tight before he re-opened them
- We have… a deal. SongHo spat out bitterly in between his clenched teeth, feeling as if he had just sold his soul to the devil.


- You made the right choice. Said the voice as he walked out of the dark.
SongHo’s face went pale as he looked at the person standing in front of him.


- It’s you !