Brumes.II

Brumes et brouillards (Mist and rain)

The boy was woken up by his own screams coming from the top of his lungs. He hastily untangled his legs out of his sheet before jumping out of his bed; panting like an old dog out of breath with his back glued to the window.


He looked around like a mad man. Nobody was in the room. Nobody was going to hurt him. He was alone and in security. There was no one here doing all those hurtful things to him. Everything was alright. Nothing happened. It was just a nightmare. He breathed a sigh of relief and glanced around him again. His eyes fell on the clock on the bedside table. It indicated 03 :45 am. The boy glanced around once more. The room was plunged into the dark. The only source of light was the large window behind him which let the street lamp light flood into the room. He turned his head on his left and almost cried out of fear upon seeing a shadow in the left corner of the room, right by the door.


- It’s alright boy, don’t be scared. Whispered a female voice in a calm and soothing manner.
The boy stared confusedly at the shadow getting nearer. His heart beating faster and faster each time the shadow spoke.


- It’s alright… don’t worry. The voice added. It’s me, Naeul noona.


- Na…eul noona ?


- That is right. I’m the nurse who delivered your medicine right before you fell asleep. Do you remember ?


The boy didn’t reply. He was trying to put his hazy memory in order while cltuching his medicinal gown in terror.
- It’s okay if you don’t remember. Say, can I turn the light on ?


The boy looked at the shadow and reluctantly nodded. But the light didn’t turn on. He tilted his head. Why hasn’t she turned the light on ? he wondered until he realised he had nooded his head. She didn’t saw it.
- You… you can. He finally said, his voice a little hoarse from his earlier screams.
- Thank you.


Right after saying her thanks the light went on. The boy closed his eyes for a second before he opened them once again. His gaze a little blurry from the light, he still saw a female in a white get-up standing near his bedroom door. She was smiling reassuringly at him, shaking her hand in front of her in a friendly way. Once he saw her, he immediatly recognized her. He had effectively seen her right before he had gone to sleep.


- Naeul.... noona ?
- Yes, it’s me.

She wanted to go near him to wrap her arms around his shaking body like a mother would do for her children but she knew she couldn’t do it. That boy wasn’t familiar enough with her, was afraid of female and to top it all he was also scared by this new environment the hospital represented. Seeing him in such a panicked state, clustered against the window like a hunted faw was tugging a lot of her heartstring. But she was a professional after all so she resisted her impulse and asked instead :


- Do you remember me now ? She asked with a little laugh in her voice.


The boy cutely nooded his head but he was still on his guard. He wasn’t quite used to the fairer . The last time he had seen a female  was when he was thirteen. That was seven years ago.


The nurse smiled sweetly but her eyes were full of contained sorrow. A child this cute having suffered from such monstrosity. She swallowed all of her curses and negative emotions to smile a beaming grin at the poor trembling boy.


- Do you want to drink some water ?


The boy shook his head.


- Then you should go back to sleep. It’s still early.


The boy glanced briefly at the window and nooded.


- Do you want me to tuck you in ?


The boy shook his head.


- Do you want me to stay with you until you fall asleep ?


The boy shook his head once again.


- ... Alright, then go to bed.


The boy obediently climbed back on his bed and went under his sheet.  

The nurse smiled as she watched over him trying to find a comfortable side to sleep on. She then switched the light off.


- Good night, Changmin-ah.
She waited a bit for a reply but it didn’t come. She was about to close the door when a feeble voice answered back.


- Good night to you too, Naeul noona.

The nurse face lit up with some joy.
- Thank you. See you tomorrow.