In The End

Music Box
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Cosmic Military Police. Barrack A-12. 01:27 AM. 3018.

 

The second day of stealth and reconnaissance training week has finished without much hassle and the girls are all in their respective beds fast asleep, trying to get all the rest they can get before having to wake up again four hours later to prepare for the third day of training. 

 

A cold breeze enters the girls' barrack and dances gently on Soobin's face, enough to wake up the sleeping girl. Soobin's eyes slowly flicker open as the small girl sighs and wonders where the breeze was coming from. "Come on, guys." She whispers to herself. "Who left the awning window open?" She throws her blanket off her body and sits on her bed as her feet search the floor for her bed slippers. 

 

Soobin puts her blanket over her head and slowly walks towards the other end of the barrack to where the window was and stands on her toes to try and close the window which she can barely reach. She squints her eyes at the window, a good six feet above the ground and just high enough to avoid Soobin's reach.

 

"God damn it, whose idea was it to put the window at such a high and hard to reach area." Soobin utters to herself as she gazes at the window again for a few more seconds before giving a sigh of defeat and acceptance. She turns her back from the window and decides to head to the bathroom. 

 

Meanwhile, just outside their barrack footsteps surround the building from all angles, sounds of gravel being stepped on and a few metal clinking noises from what appears to be military gear. 

 

Hyeri gets up from her bed and makes her way towards the bathroom as well and discovers the door to be locked, currently being occupied by Soobin. Hyeri knocks at the door and requests the person inside to hurry up. "Heyy, whoever is in there can you please make it quick, I really need to go." 

 

Soobin hears the knocking on the door and Hyeri's voice just outside of it and responds to the younger girl. "Hyeri-ah! Just hold on a minute, I just got here." Hyeri recognizes the voice inside and replies, "Oh, Soobin-unnie! It's you. Understood. But please hurry, I feel like I'm gonna explode." 

 

Hyeri puts her back against the bathroom door and closes her eyes as to distract her from the thought of her bladder exploding. As she opens her eyes to hear Soobin flushing the toilet, she witnesses a metal object land in front of her. "What the fu..." The object starts gushing out smoke all around the room and the all the girls wake up hysterically. 

 

"It's a smoke grenade!" Hyeri screams to the other girls in the room covering her face and to avoid suffocation and Soobin busts out of the door all confused. "What the hell is going on!?" She shouts as she too covers the bottom half of her face to avoid inhaling the gray smoke.

 

Confusion fills the room as Bona tries to instruct everyone to keep a close eye on each other. "It's the Rear Guard! They're going to be taking one of us again for the exams. Grab a hold of the person nearest you and..."

 

Before Bona can continue her sentence, another grenade enters and bounces around their barrack. "They threw another smoke grenade!" Bona exclaims but she quickly realizes the design of the grenade looks different. "Wait that's a..." A flash of bright light explodes around the room and the girls scream out of shock.

 

It takes the girls around ten seconds to recover from the blinding light and the sharp ringing noise in their ears and try to gather themselves properly. The smoke slowly clears out and the girls immediately survey the room to see if anyone was taken from them. 

 

"Soobin-unnie's gone!" Hyeri shouts out as she looks behind her to an empty bathroom where she last saw Soobin and immediately Seola jumps from her bed and runs towards the bathroom pushing Hyeri to the side and enters the bathroom turning her head from left to right checking if Soobin could just be hiding in the shower. 

 

"She's really gone. They took her." Seola utters to the rest of the girls and tightens her first in frustration. "Geez I know they're doing this for the exam but does the Rear Guard really have to use such extreme means just to capture one of us." Seola continues to rant as she passes Exy who is checking on the remains of the two grenades that were thrown inside of their room.

 

"There's nothing on these grenades though. No serial code, no manufacturer, no place of production. What are we supposed to be looking for that will help us find and Eunseo and now Soobin?" Exy questions the room as she tosses the two grenades to Yeoreum for her to analyze. 

 

"Well, the clue Jiyeon found the other day was pretty big already, right? We know is that the location is possibly somewhere in the Inkigayo region." Xuan Yi reminds Exy and the other girls. "Are we really going for that?!" Exy exclaims to Xuan Yi who is taken aback by the sudden change of tone in Exy's voice. "Are we really going on the hunch that the Rear Guard decided where they will be taken the hostages was based on where their last position was in the labyrinth?"

 

Exy persists to argue with a shaken Xuan Yi who can't seem to gather her ideas properly before a hand is placed on her shoulder. She turns back to see the hand belonging to Bona who is wearing a mean gaze towards Exy. "You know, for someone who seems pretty confident in putting others' plans down, I don't hear you sharing any brilliant ideas, Sojung."

 

Exy squints her eyes towards Bona before turning her attention towards Seola. "Are we really going with this, Hyunjung?" Exy asks in her attempt to have Seola side with her knowing how much she dislikes Bona. "Usually, I'd disagree with Bona. But you can't neglect the fact that the labyrinth's design resembled the map of our planet perfectly. Besides, we have no other lead right now and the exam is closing in on us. We have to make do with what we've got, Exy." 

 

Exy lets out a sigh of defeat before smiling calmly towards to two other girls. "Alright then, I'm sorry Xuan Yi. Looks like I have no choice but to trust you two on this." Xuan Yi's eyes glitter and her signature bright smile once again resurfaces from her face. Bona just shakes her head to how her best friend can be so oblivious and easily persuaded sometimes. 

 

 

 

Cosmic Military Police. Firing Range. 14:15 PM.

 

The instructor for today's firing exercise, with a whistle resting on her lips, looks at her watch, gazes at the row of ten girls with their hands behind the back of their heads all waiting for the instructor's command and in front of them dismantled rifles. "On my signal... " All the girls focus on the target laid in front of them around twenty meters away from them.

 

"On three, you are to assemble the AS-MR grade rifle that is in front of you and load the two empty clips that came with it with thirty rounds each and shoot your respective targets. Once you empty the two magazines, you are to turn around and press the button behind you. You are to be graded on your speed and accuracy..."

 

"3...

2...

1...

Begin!"

 

At an instant, all the girls begin to assemble their respective rifles. All except for one. Dayoung didn't seem to hear the instructor's signal and is just staring at her target in the distance. Yeonjung sitting in the bleachers with the other girls behind the barricade notices and nudges Yeoreum beside her. "Ya, what is she playing at? Is she trying to lose us points on purpose?" Yeoreum removes her attention at the two grenades she's been meddling with since this morning and looks at what Yeonjung is on about.

 

Yeoreum is dumbfounded. She jumps from the bleachers and makes her way to the barricade just barely in the safety zone and immediately raises her voice towards Dayoung. "Ya! Im Dayoung stop daydreaming you idiot and get your moving!"

 

Dayoung hears Yeoreum shouting at her and snaps out of her spaced out self and looks around her to realize and witness the others already loading bullets inside their magazines. "Wha... Oh no I zoned out! we're gonna lose, gotta move quick Dayoung." She tells herself as she picks up parts of the rifle in front of her and begins to assemble the weapon. 

 

Yeoreum drops her head and sighs to herself before going back to Yeonjung back on the bleachers. "You think she has a chance of catching up with the rest?" Yeonjung asks but by the time Yeoreum utters her first words, they can already hear gunshots being fired and the girls are in shock to watch Dayoung already emptying her first clip as the others just begin firing their weapons.

 

Both Yeonjung and Yeoreum's mouths drop to the floor as they can't believe that even after practically giving the rest a big head start she still manages to catch up and even overtake the leaders. "She's amazing, I'll give her that. Besides Eunseo-unnie, Dayoung really knows her way around firearms, huh?" Yeonjung tells Yeoreum. 

 

Dayoung walks out of the firing zone and heads towards Yeoreum and Yeonjung sitting beside each other in the bleachers. "Hey, guys! Did you see that? Even after spacing out, I still managed to get the highest score in the exercise, he-he." Dayoung snickers to her friends.

 

Yeonjung doesn't want to compliment Dayoung face-to-face, so she just ends up giving her a thumbs up while Yeoreum continues to meddle with the two grenades from this morning and comments, "If you didn't space out you would've probably received a higher score, stupid."

 

"Oh come on guys, give me a break. I did really well back there, you have to admit. Right? Us maknaes gotta stick together after all." Dayoung utters and Yeoreum laughs to herself, still messing around with her new toys. "I can't believe you actually pulled out the maknae card on us."

 

"Next batch of shooters!" The instructor yells out from the firing zone and Yeonjung stands up and performs a few stretches before heading down the bleachers. "Watch me beat your time, Dayoung. I hope you don't get embarrassed by me beating you by a landslide. He-he. I mean after all, us maknaes gotta stick together right?" Yeonjung utters and winks at Dayoung before leaving the two. 

 

"I'd love to see you try, Yoo Yeonjung!" Dayoung replies as she watches Yeonjung make her way to the firing zone. "Anyway, so did you find anything new that will tell us where they could be keeping Eunseo and Soobin-unnie?"Dayoung now switches her attention to Yeoreum. 

 

"Nope, still nothing new. I removed the paint already from the two hoping that a manufacturer or a serial number at least would show up but nothing." Yeoreum tosses up in the air one of the grenades before catching it again. Dayoung notices a little clinking sound inside one of the grenades as Yeoreum continues to play catch with one of the grenades. 

 

"What's that sound? There's something inside that thing." Dayoung tells Yeoreum and she replies "Yeah, it's the detonator. All grenades have it right?" Dayoung grabs the smoke grenade from Yeoreum and the flash-bang grenade that she's been tossing up in the air and shakes both of them noticing that both of the grenades are creating a clinking noise. 

 

"Yeoreum, only explosive grenades have detonators. Smoke grenades and flashbangs go off by a spring timer, not a detonator." Dayoung informs her before another thought passes her head. "There's something inside these grenades that are not supposed to be there. Bet your it's possibly a clue to where they're holding Eunseo and Soobin-unnie. We need to break them apart and figure out what they are." 

 

Yeoreum nods to Dayoung and exclaims to her, "Once the exercise is over, I'll gather the necessary tools and we can break them open later when we get back to our barrack and talk it out with the rest of the girls." 

 

"Winner! Yoo Yeonjung!" The instructor indirectly interrupts the two girls and they turn their attention towards Yeonjung who is giving the two girls two big thumbs up and seconds later yells at the two of them. To Dayoung especially. "I beat your record, dummy! Because of your carelessness, I was able to defeat your record! He-he." 

 

"Aww man! Damn it, I'm going to have to retake this exercise again just so I can stop Yeonjung from rubbing it my face for the rest of my life." Dayoung utters and Yeoreum lets out a little giggle.

 

 

 

Cosmic Military Police. Barrack A-12. 23:48 PM.

 

"So what is it?" Luda asks Yeoreum as she analyzes the two small objects found inside the two grenades, as the rest of the girls watching over all bundled up around Yeoreum. "It appears to be a poorly painted blue stone..." Yeoreum utters and continues. "What are we supposed to get off from that?"

 

The girls remain quiet for the next five minutes, all of them thinking what the blue stone could mean and how it serves as a clue to where the Rear Guard could be holding Eunseo and Soobin captive. 

 

"Maybe there's a really rocky place in Inkigayo Region?" Cheng Xiao remarks and Xuan Yi immediately informs the younger girl that the Inkigayo region is very well known to be a very gra

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter