Preserve and Protect

Music Box
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Cosmic Police University: Class 1 Dormitory. 13:03PM. Year 3018.

 

 

"It feels like it was just yesterday when we entered CPU... and two days from now, I'll be graduating and preparing for the service examinations without you."

 

Bona picks up one of the picture frames on her bed shelf and gazes at the two girls in the photograph. 

 

"I'm glad you were able to be part of my life even for a little while... Mother would've been happy to see us both graduating and getting accepted in the Military Police." Jiyeon whispers to herself as she packs the remaining items from her dorm inside her suitcase. 

 

"Jiyeon-ahh! Hurry up, everyone's all set and ready to go. Waiting on you!" Xuan Yi abruptly interrupts the younger girl and Xuan Yi is known to be a little dense sometimes but it was obvious to her that she caught Bona in a bad time. Bona was sitting on her bed, sobbing holding the picture frame across her chest and looks at Xuan Yi who is all confused, while tears roll down her face. 



"Jiyeon-ah... are you okay? What's wrong? What happened?" Xuan Yi approaches Bona and sits next beside her and gives her a warm embrace. "Everything will be alright, okay? Just tell me what's bothering you." She wipes a tear from Bona's cheek and fixes her hair gently. "I've always been here for you right?"

 

Bona looks up at the older girl and attempts to gather herself so she could tell Xuan Yi what was it that was making her be all emotional. A side that she only shows to Xuan Yi.

 

"I'll make them pay... Xuan Yi. I'll make sure to avenge her." Xuan Yi was surprised to hear Bona say such a thing and to see the determination in Bona's eyes. Something she has only seen when a certain topic is brought up. The fire in Bona's eyes didn't scream ambition... It was revenge. For a second, it frightened Xuan Yi but she understood where Bona was coming from. 

 

Two years ago, during winter break, Bona's sister was involved in a civilian evacuation effort as an on-site student officer trainee, where she was involved in a crossfire and was shot by mercenaries from the neighboring planets. Planet Monsta from X galaxy. It was an immediate act of war, and it has lead us to where we are now. Since then, Bona promised herself to top the CPSE so she could get into the Vanguard and hopefully pay her debts to her sister's killers. 

 

A tear falls from Bona's eyes and lands on her thigh. Xuan Yi decides to wipe it off herself and grabs Bona's hands. To Xuan Yi, Bona's hands always felt the nicest to hold because of how soft they are. Even the amount of firearm training they had wasn't enough to put a dent on the delicateness of Bona's palms. The two girls sat in silence for a while, Xuan Yi giving the silence Bona needed for a brief moment, then she decided to speak up.

 

"Hey, Jiyeon... I'm sorry if I haven't been enough for you. Please know that I will continue to do whatever it takes in my power to protect you." The sudden statement shocked Bona for this is one of those rare times that Xuan Yi's tone actually sounded really serious. The younger girl lifted up her chin to look at her best friend and gave her a quick nod of recognition. Xuan Yi then replied with a bright smile. The smile Bona wishes never gets erased.

 

"Come on now, Jiyeon. We need to go. Everyone's wai..." Even before Xuan Yi could finish her sentence, a tall, white fair skinned, black haired girl starts barging inside Bona's room. 

 

"Ya what do you think you two are doing?! You're making everyone late. We've been calling you guys for like the past 10 minutes now." The girl was just a foot from the door of Bona's dorm room, knapsack over her right shoulder, and what looks like an itinerary on her left hand, tapping her feet with impatience. "So are you two gonna move your asses or should the rest of us leave you and have the bus just come back and get you?"

 

Bona stands up from her bed, ignores the girl who is right outside her room, and goes to grab her suitcase. Xuan Yi does the same but responds to the girl to try and make her shift her attention elsewhere because she is clearly death staring Bona. "We'll be right outside, Seola-unnie. Sorry, Bona was just bothered about something but she's alright now." 

 

"Hmpf! Hurry up or we'll be late to the ceremonies. Ya Bona! If you plan on topping the service exams, you better set your attitude straight. I think you're forgetting I'm older than you so I expect some respect. Plus I'm your only real competition when it comes to the Cosmic Public Service Examination... Move your asses. We'll be waiting for you two in the bus." The girl squints her eyes towards Bona who is still blatantly ignoring her and swiftly turns around and leaves the two girls who follow just moments after. 

 

"Were you finally able to drag those two out of there?" A short blonde haired girl asks Seola as she enters the bus and finds her seat. 

 

"If I wasn't, can I really expect myself to be Captain if not even my own friends will listen to me? I mean come on, Exy, you hardly listen to me either. Sometimes I have my doubts if I can even lead a team..."

 

Exy leans over her seat to Seola's who is just a chair in front of her "But that's because I've been your childhood best friend for like the longest time now. I hardly listen to anyone." The girl's remark was supposed to make the older girl feel better about herself but it doesn't seem like it's working.

 

"But if I were to follow orders from a Captain, you're the only person I'd listen to. You're the person I trust the most here." Exy follows up and immediately she sees a little smirk from Seola's lips. She always knew how to make Seola feel special given her tough exterior. Exy was the only person Seola ever considered her equal. She shared most of her life with her and she would confidently put her life in Exy's hands if she had to. 

 

The doors opened and finally, Bona and Xuan Yi entered the bus and found to their seats. The two girls sat together, with Bona sitting next to the window, and Xuan Yi beside the aisle. The two girls were inseparable. Bona was just like Seola. Tough and abrasive. But she had a soft spot that only Xuan Yi knows about. She depended on Xuan Yi to keep her sane. And Xuan Yi devoted her life to protect Bona. After all... if it wasn't for Bona, Xuan Yi wouldn't even be alive right now. 

 

"Alright! Looks like everyone's here. Let me do a final headcount before I let bus driver ajusshi know that we're set to go." Seola stands up from her seat, stands in the aisle and calls out a number of names from the piece of paper she was just holding a while ago. 

 

"Ahn Hyeri?"  Seola called out and immediately a hand was raised. She followed up with "Baek Soojin?" and another hand was raised and it seemed that the two girls were sitting beside each other.

 

The bus was filled with 15 cadets. The two previously mentioned girls were sitting at the far back part of the bus, whispering to each other. "Ya, Soojin... how did we manage to be placed on the same bus as the 13 freaks of Cosmic Police U? From what I know, once we're transferred our dormmates in the camp will be the exact people who traveled with us going there. What did we do in our past lives that placed us in this situation? Hmm???" Baek Soojin silently nudged her seatmate as to tell her to shut up and watch . "Hyeri-shi... these 13 so called freaks aren't called freaks for no light-hearted reason. These 13 girls are to top the exams no doubt about it. They're called freaks because of their work ethic. Something you clearly lack."

 

The two watch over as Seola in front continues to check attendance.



"You already know Kim Hyunjung. Or Seola as her close friends call her. Believed to place first in the exams and become Captain of the new division.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter