Luda

Music Box
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Cosmic Military Police Auditorium. Graduation Rites. 17:08 PM. 3018.

 

 

The auditorium hall is filled with 420 graduating students from Cosmic Police University. The highest ranking police academy out of five in the planet. With Ujung Public Police Academy ranking at second, Wuju Police University at third, Space Police College and The Academy of Public Service to follow respectively. The Cosmic Military Police, not to be mistaken by the Cosmic Public Police who deal with smaller public matters, is the sole organization that deals with the security and the protection of the entire planet under King Uzzu's rule. They are the ones called upon when the planet is in danger. Every year, the CMP conducts the annual Cosmic Public Service Exams. Open to all graduate students from the five police academies. The CMP accepts a total of 1000 applicants, with strict conditions such as a GPA no lower than 3.5, 2000 hours of on-site public service, and a personal recommendation from your University's Principal. Safe to say, no one really has a problem reserving a spot in the exams since the application itself is difficult enough.

 

 

Being a part of the CMP is considered as the highest honor an Ujung citizen can attain. You are considered part of the royal house, being overwatch to the king himself. It pays well too. The CMP has three divisions. The Rear Guard which is the private protection unit of the King and are in authority of the public police. The Front Guard. The military front line reserve. Specially trained to counter the first wave of attacks if they ever come.  And lastly the Vanguard.  Also known as the interior, they work inside and outside of the planet. Special operations. Not much is known about them since they keep everything so confidential. All we know is they have the highest kill count among all three divisions. To be part of the Vanguard, one has to place in the top 20 of 1000 applicants. But don't be swayed... the Vanguard is also considered the most dangerous unit of the three. 

 

 

There's a rule in the CMP which gives fair play to the top exam takers. Even if you do place in the top 20, that does not guarantee you a spot at the Vanguard... because the top 20 are given the luxury to choose which division they wish to serve under. Because of how infamous the reputation of the Vanguard is, what usually ends up happening is only an average of 6 of the top 20 choose to serve in the Vanguard making the Vanguard also one of the most undermanned divisions in the CMP.  The only saving grace of the Vanguard is they are heavily funded by the royal government.

 

 

 

"Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the four hundred and twenty graduating students of Cosmic Police University, batch 3018!" As the announcer shouts, and the room is filled with applause from friends and family. 

 

 

 

 

Cosmic Police Military. Banquet Hall. 19:42 PM. 3018.

 

 

"What do you mean the top 20 no longer have a choice in which division they choose to serve in???"  Lee Luda who is still wearing her graduation toga furiously begs the question to her good friend Nam Dawon who sitting with her at their post-graduation dinner reception table.

 

 

"Apparently they changed the rules after the attack two years ago. The Vanguard is severely undermanned and I guess they want the top 20 to automatically serve under the Vanguard. Which I completely understand... Our planet's government is not making progress conducting negotiations with our enemy. Even if we were attacked first, King Uzzu still negotiates for peace. It will only be a matter of time now before he won't have a choice anymore but to agree to war. Planet Monsta is threatening an invasion if King Uzzu doesn't comply to handing our military services to them and creating an alliance. Ujungs are against the idea and so is King Uzzu. Our planet has always stayed neutral and the majority of us wish it stays that way." Dawon explains to her friend as Luda takes a shot of alcohol, in disbelief to the news Dawon just explained to her.

 

 

"Damn it! I originally planned to make the top 20 so I have a for sure shot of making the Rear Guard. I studied and trained my off for nothing! My bet now is to intentionally not make the top 20. But acting at a level lower than my usual is so against me... but I guess it's what I have to do if I want to avoid getting placed in the ing Vanguard."

 

 

"I don't think that plan of yours isn't going to work either, unnie." Mei Qi grabs a chair and sits beside Dawon, and takes a sip from her champagne glass.

 

 

"Oh my god what now... What are you talking about, Mei Qi?" An obviously annoyed Luda groans and looks at Dawon who already looks like she knows what Mei Qi is about to tell them. 

 

 

"The CMP has created a serum that they have been testing for years and they will inject to all the exam applicants. The chemical is then brought straight to the brain and will trigger you to perform at your full capabilities. This way, the CMP has a for sure way of getting the best out of their applicants. And to prevent people like you from pulling your punches." Mei Qi looks at Luda who now looks like she's about to pull all her hair out.

 

 

"Great... just fantastic. The universe sure does know their way on how to just me over. Guess the only hope I have now is that some idiot outdoes me and puts me lower than the top 20. Dawon-iee, do me a favor and choke me." Luda now bowing her head and lands on Dawon's shoulder. "uhh... haha I think that's a little bit too much Luda, don't you think?" Dawon pats Luda on her head trying to console the shorter girl.

 


"Ohh . Didn't know you were into that, Luda unnie." Mei Qi jokes around and giggles at the site of seeing Luda in misery. "Who knows, I could be that idiot who drops you at rank 21. After all, I am a better fighter than you." Mei Qi smirks. And immediately Luda looks up and laughs. "You better make sure both of us don't end up in the same division or I will make your life a living hell, Meng Mei Qi."

 

 

"Ha, was that a challenge tiny?" Mei Qi retaliates.

 

 

"What did you say?! Dawon you better hold me back."

 

 

"Ohh you two... someone tell me the story on how we three became best friends again? Dawon sighs and just laughs it off, holding back Luda from trying to pull out Mei Qi's hair.

 

 

 

 

CMP Training Facility. Location: Classified. 05:00 AM 

Day 1/60 Cosmic Public Service Examinations

 

 

"Welcome to training, fresh meat! Hope you girls had a good nights rest because that'll be the last you'll have in a while. The CPSE is meant to break you. You're all starting from scratch now. In here, we don't care which academy you graduated from. In here we don't care how high your test scores were. In here, all we care about is how much fight you have in you..." A young looking woman with short black hair, speaks from her megaphone and looks down at 1000 recruits. I am Lt. General Yoon Bora, a member of the Vanguard. "I'm here to make your lives a living hell..."

 

 

"Hmm, I never really expected we'd be full of applicants. A thousand, huh? This is the first time we reached that number. Guess the attack two years ago really pissed a lot of them off." The young woman thinks to herself. 

 

 

"...Today's a fun day full of fun and exciting activities. Or as we here like to call it, Fight day. There's a thousand of you, we'll split the field in twenties. That's fifty per sector. And twenty-five pairs that will spar it out, if you still haven't caught up with the math. Each sector will have their own field marshall that will conduct your battles. Listen to them. Obey them. You were all tasked to bring your knives before heading to today's location. There's only one rule. Fight to kill. You have all been put under the serum so I have no doubts none of you will pull your punches..."

 

 

"...  Lunch will be at exactly 1200 hours. I expect all of you to be done by then. Have fun, kids."

 

 

Three hours into training...

 

 

An instructor from sector 14 reads up the next pair of combatants from his list. "Meng Mei Qi and Im Dayoung! You two are up next! Ready your knives, and face each other five meters apart..."

 

 

"Woah aren't both of them from Cosmic Police University?" One recruit whispers to the person beside her as they prepare to watch the two fight it out.

 

 

"I heard both of them are really gifted when it comes to hand-to-hand combat. Especially the brunette girl, Im Dayoung. People say she's really talented with knives. We're in for a treat." Replies the girl.

 

 

"Hmm, I wasn't expecting we'd be sparring partners, Mei Qi unnie." Dayoung utters as she brings out her knife from her side holster.

 

 

"So was I Dayoung-ah. This makes things way more interesting though, don't you think?" Mei Qi replies as she draws out her knife from her own holster.

 

 

"Waaaay more interesting, unnie." Dayoung adds.

 

 

The instructor lifts his hand to signal the two fighters to ready up "READY..." then moments later brings his hand down. "FIGHT!"

 

 

Dayoung charges instantly at the older girl and attempts to jab her knife at Mei Qi's abdomen but Mei Qi reacts quickly and pushes away Dayoung's arm with her left hand. Dayoung throws her knife to her left hand for a swift recovery and slashes upwards trying to get a quick cut going at Mei Qi's unprotected right side but Mei Qi again counters by shifting her body weight making her rotate 90 degrees avoiding Dayoung's attack.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter