Wake Up

Music Box
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

ck Western Region. Loen District. 09:22 AM. Year 3016.

 

 

"Alright listen up cadets! I want Class 1 to split up in into six squads of seven. Choi Mina, Lee Seulgi, Kim Hyunjung, Kim Jinyoung, Kim Jiyeon, Yoo Yeonjung, divide the class and take lead. I don't want any of you slacking around. These people need all the help they can get. The damage the earthquake brought upon three days ago has still left people homeless and without food. Gather your squads and rally with me at the town market. Five minutes, cadets, start hustling!"

 

"Yes, Maam!"

 

"Jiyeon-ahh!" A girl yells a few meters away and starts walking her way to Bona.

 

"Oh, unnie. What's up? " Bona replies.

 

"Hey, be careful out there okay? I don't want you getting hurt or anything. And make sure to wear your protective head gear. Mother would kill me if anything happened to you." Jinyoung hugs her younger sister Bona. "I'm proud of you for being given responsibility as a squad leader. I knew you had it in you. Following my footsteps, I see haha. Go make a difference, kiddo." The older girl pats Bona on the head before running back to her squad, and Bona yells out "Ya! You better be careful too, unnie. We don't want me having to take your place as captain of the new division of the rear guard when we graduate!" Jinyoung waves back at Bona without having to face her "Haha not gonna happen, kid."

 

"Alright cadets, suit up! I'll be giving your assignments for the rest of the day. Follow your orders and help out as much as you can and report back at 18:00 hours for debriefing.

Squad B, team leader Kim Jinyoung. Members: Choi Sejeong, Hung Sunmi, Im Haeun, Ong Hyunjung, Sang Soohyun, and Park Eunwoo. Your squad is on patrol duty. Secure the perimeter of the district with Squad F, team leader Yoo Yeonjung. Members Chae Bohee, Cho Hana, Kam Insuk, Nan Jaehee, Ong Miyeon, and Son Hyejin.

The rest of you will patrol the streets and assist the town in the evacuation, clean-up, and decomposition of corpses... It's gonna be a long day ladies. Be smart out there. Salute!"

 

"Salute!"

 

 

6 Hours Into the Operation. 15:47 PM. Relief Site A.

 

"Next! ID and passport, please? Thank you go right ahead. Next person please, let's keep it organized people. I know you all want to get into the relief center but your safety is our top priority." Squad C, under the leadership of Kim Jiyeon and her team, is tasked to conduct security in one of the relief operation sites in the district.

 

"Hey, Jiyeon unnie. Can we take a break? I've been standing here checking and stamping passports for the past 2 hours now non-stop. My eyes are gonna fall out."

 

"You think these people don't want to take a break too? They've lost their homes, Dayoung-ah... But if you really must, you can switch with Xuan Yi over there. She's in charge of handing out food to the people. How much you wanna bet she's eating some of that food for herself. That fool. Go ahead, you've convinced me that you're a better choice to man the food station than her."

 

"I barely said anything... but okay! Thanks unnie." Dayoung puts down her inspector tools and politely asks the people in line to wait for a minute as she changes stations with Xuan Yi. The girl starts sprinting swerving left and right to avoid hitting people before arriving at the Sous Chef's station. Dayoung was always filled with energy and had a passion for food. She's good with a knife both in the kitchen and out of it.

 

"Xuan Yi, unnie! Jiyeon unnie told me to swap positions with you for now. She wants you manning the front gate with her and checking the people's passpo.... Are you eating some of the people's food?"

 

Xuan Yi being caught red handed with what looks to be like seaweed on her chin, tries to play it off and lies to the younger girl in front of her. "What are you talking about? We don't even serve anything here with seaweed. aha ahaha haha... Here, take the apron and have fun. I think Bona's calling me." She takes off her apron and hands it to Dayoung, and navigates her way around the evacuation site. "Hmm... I've always found Xuan Yi unnie a little odd."

 

"Hi Jiyeon!" Xuan Yi arrives at the main gate and inspects the inspector tools Dayoung left her. "Hi Xuan Yi. Thanks for dropping by." Xuan Yi responds by giving her a big eye smile and two thumbs up. "Happy to help however way I can. ... Passport and ID, please. Thank You. Go right ahead."

 

 

Southern Perimeter Loen District. Squad F. 16:04 PM

 

"It still amazes me how quick Loen District was brought down to its knees by that earthquake. I thought with the advancements in building design that progressed over the years, you'd think earthquakes wouldn't be an issue anymore." Cho Hana, a member of Yoo Yeonjung's squad mentions as they watch over the major exits of the district. With her, Son Hyejin who jokingly states that no matter how progressive something is, time will always find a way to wreak havoc on it and destroy it. "Time is the provider of balance in the universe. You can enjoy something, but not for too long as time will find a way to create some sort of equilibrium."

 

"How long do you think we'll enjoy peace?" Cho Hana asks in where Son Hyejin responds with a lack of confidence "... I hope that I never see the eyes of war. I hope that I never catch a glimpse of it. I want to have children. And I want them to enjoy the world and its beauties."

 

"BZZZ!" The sound of their radios interrupts their conversation. "This is squad leader Yoo Yeonjung. Informing all Squad F members to rally at DZ05 Watchtower, in 15 minutes. We will be meeting up with Squad B to report any gathered intel. Over and out."

 

"Looks like we have work to do. Let's go. Let me drive for once." says Son Hyejin and Cho Hana responds with a quirky remark. "Looks like I don't even need war to put my own life in danger. Let's pray to Uzzu that we make it to the rally point alive haha." "You worry too much sheesh." Replies Hyejin.

 

 

Rally Point: DZ05 Watchtower. Few Blocks Away From Relief Site A. 16:23 PM.

 

Squad leader Yoo Yeonjung and four other of her members arrive and later followed by Squad B and squad leader Kim Jinyoung. "What's the situation like North-West?" Yeonjung asks Jinyoung as they lay down their gear on the hood of their truck. "Not much. Just a bunch of rioters and looters. It was hard to maintain order but we managed. How about you?" Jinyoung asks the younger girl in command and notices that her squad isn't complete yet. "Not much. South-East region was where the relief trucks were entering from so we just kept order."

 

"Where's the rest of your team, Yoo Yeonjung? We agreed at a rally time if I'm not mistaken." Jinyoung was a lady of punctuality. If there was one thing she hated it was being late. "They're on their way, unnie. I apologize."

 

A few moments later she spots Hyejin and Hana’s truck from the horizon approaching the rally point. Yeonjung, who is clearly annoyed grabs her radio and frequencies in the two girls.

 

“Ya! What do you think you two are doing? I gave an order to rally in 15 minutes and I expect all members of my team to be punctual!

“Squad leader Yeonjung we sincerely apologize but we encountered suspicious activity along the way here. We spotted seven masked men all dressed in black walking on top of the forest hills a little bit north of our post. It looked like they were heading to the semi-truck graveyard.”
 


“It could’ve been just some looters, you idiots. When I make an order I expect it to be followed. Got it??”

 

After Yeonjung lectures the two girls via hand radio, she notices a semi-truck going full speed about to cross the same intersection her two squadmates are about to cross. She radios them again.



“Ya. Watch your speed. A semi is about to cross the intersection you two are about to go through and I don’t think the driver has any intentions of letting you pass. Just let him go ahead. Over.”

 

“Copy that squad leader. We’ll see you in a bit. Our apologies again.”

 

The two girls stop their truck behind the intersection line and wait for the semi-truck to pass. The truck was at least going 90km/h. “Hmm. Wonder what this guy's in such a hurry for. Probably needs to go the bathroom really bad.” Hyejin jokes to Hana. But even before Hana can add to her friend’s joke, the semi-truck cuts through the corners of the intersection and deliberately crashes into the two girls instantly killing them.

 

“Oh my ing g..!!!!???” Yeonjung and both Squad B and F are in disbelief to what they just witnessed. “No way was that an accident! That guy meant to do that!” Cho Bohee, one of Yeonjung’s squadmates says furiously. She rushes towards the driver cursing at him and Yeonjung and the rest of them follow trying to stop Bohee.



“What do you think you’re playing at you idiot?” You just killed two of my friends!” Bohee still running towards and cursing the driver. A few seconds later the driver gets out and six others exit the truck storage, armed with weapons aimed at the girls. Bohee in shock to what she’s witnessing freezes in the middle of the street and gets shot by the masked assailants dropping dead on the pavement. The rest of the girls retreat and take cover behind their trucks desperately trying to retrieve their weapons.

 

 

Yeonjung desperately radios in anyone she can contact from insid

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter