Double Trouble Couple

The Fireroasted Songbook

 

 

Double Trouble Couple

MAMAMOO

 

Dear Diary,

 

I saw the most extraordinary thing today while I was at work. I’ve been thinking about getting a new job lately since passing out flyers can be kind of boring, but I like being outside and being able to talk to people. Sometimes you see the strangest things! Today, I saw a girl from across the street. We’re working near a park for a few weeks, and there’s a nice paved path under the trees there, and this girl...she was walking a cat.

 

Not only was she walking a cat, but the cat was on a little blue skateboard with yellow wheels. How cute is that?

 

I have so many questions!! It’s too bad I was working…ah, who am I kidding? Talking to strangers is way too scary. I wish I took a picture though! Byul teased me when I said I’d run up and steal her cat. She said I’d just explode from embarrassment and scare the cat away.

 

That girl is so rude.

 

Anyway, I have to wake up early tomorrow because stupid Byul needs me to go with her to get a birthday cake for Daebakkie, so I’ll stop here today.

 


 

Dear Diary,

 

The girl with the cat walked by again today!! Actually, something really funny happened. I probably shouldn’t laugh, but since they don’t know me, it’s okay right?

 

The girl was dragging the skateboard along with the cat on it, when all of a sudden, something scared the cat, and it went flying across the grass. She ran after the cat, shouting and not really looking where she was going, and she ended up knocking over a girl in roller skates! I think they found the cat in the end, but it must’ve been really embarrassing to be sprawled over a stranger like that…

 

Oh! We had a little birthday party for Daebakkie today! Byul cried a little.

 

I hope the cat girl is okay...the roller skates girl seemed really angry.

 


 

Dear Diary,

 

My boss yelled at me for spacing out at work, and I wasn’t very happy about it. Byul called me at lunch to check up on me—she can be very sweet when she’s not being rude or stupid after all. She picked me up from work and we got ttokbokki, so I’m happy now.

 

The girl with the cat came today also! She did not bring a skateboard this time. Hopefully nobody stole it after yesterday’s disaster. Roller skates girl was at the park as well. I noticed she was very pretty today—maybe I didn’t notice it yesterday since she seemed kind of scary? She has the wildest black hair and the reddest lips and the shortest shorts. She really could be a celebrity!

 

Anyway, she skated by and exchanged a few words with the cat girl, then zipped off. The weird thing was that I saw them looking at each over over the shoulder. It was like a real life drama!! I am suddenly even more anxious to see them every day to see how this story unfolds.

 

Will there be a good looking childhood best friend who’s also in love with one of them?? Will one of them be leaving? Terminal illness, maybe?

 

Oops, I just woke Byul up. She called me stupid. So rude. What do I do? This is just too exciting to keep to myself! Aish, I guess I should sleep before she wakes up again. Good night, Diary!

 


 

Dear Diary,

 

Update: I’m almost 100% sure Roller Girl likes Cat Girl. I’m not completely sure how Cat Girl feels yet, because she seems very shy.

 

Both of them were in the park today at the same time. The cat was in a basket this time—it was so cute!! Anyway, I saw Roller Girl first while I was handing out fliers. She was sitting by the fountain talking to a friend when she suddenly bolted across the park. I was talking to a customer, so I didn’t see everything, but I think Cat Girl was pretty surprised.

 

After the customer left, I noticed they were walking around kind of nervously. Apparently Roller Girl scared the cat out of his basket. Every time I looked over, Roller Girl either looked very guilty or like she was trying to make Cat Girl laugh. They’re seriously too cute.

 

In other news, Byul made me apply to the doggy daycare center down near the park. She said she didn’t want me doing this when winter comes, but I think that dork worries too much. I mean, it’s only spring right now.

 


 

Dear Diary,

 

Today is Saturday, and I don’t have work, but I wanted to go to the park to see if they were there. Byul says I watch too many dramas, and I’m probably making things up, so I want to prove her wrong. Besides, Jjing Jjing and Daebak are getting fat because we’ve been so busy.

 

We saw Roller Girl—I nearly threw Byul into the fountain because I was so excited—but she wasn’t wearing her skates. She was just kind of...walking around. I told Byul about this and…

 

THE IDIOT DID SOMETHING REALLY, REALLY STUPID. I’m still mad just thinking about it!! I really don’t understand what she’s thinking sometimes…

 

Listen to this, Diary… after I pointed Roller Girl out to Byul, she asked if she even likes girls. I told her I didn’t know, but I was sure she liked Cat Girl. She didn’t say anything and looked kind of skeptical, so I thought, “That’s okay. I know the truth!” BUT SUDDENLY, she took my hand and JUST AS ROLLER GIRL LOOKED OVER, she kissed me!! IN PUBLIC. IN FRONT OF EVERYONE AT THE PARK.

 

I was so flustered I didn’t even get a chance to look at her face.

 

Byul said she looked amused—I punched her. I felt better after punching her, but UGH, everyone at the park saw us... what if people recognize me at work?! I was really mad, Diary—you get it, right?

Even after I calmed down a bit I still pretended to be mad so she’d buy me ice cream. (Works every time!) They came out with a sweet potato flavour that was surprisingly good. 

 

We went to a pottery class today too! We made matching couple mugs! It was really hard, and I don’t want to admit this, but I think Byul was better at it than me...so I made her finish mine so I can paint it. They turned out really nice!

 

Tomorrow we’re going to stay inside and have a good day watching TV and eating snacks. Can’t wait! See you on Monday, Diary!

 


 

Dear Diary,

 

ROLLER GIRL TALKED TO ME TODAY. I was at work, and she took a flyer from me. I wasn’t really paying attention BUT THEN MY HEART JUST DROPPED. All she said was thank you but she was looking at me like she knew me. Like she recognized me and she knows.

 

Diary, I felt like my favourite character in a drama was confronting me about snooping around their private life—and she didn’t even say anything! She just has that look.

 

I saw her a few times around the park. She was looking at me a few times too. I wonder if she was looking for Cat Girl. Oh...maybe she knows that I know she’s looking for Cat Girl!
 


 

Dear Diary,

 

Byulyi caught a cold, so I stayed home today to take care of her. We cuddled our dogs and watched movies and took a nap. I made some soup too, but the whiny baby wanted ice cream, so I yelled at her until she ate her soup.

 

There is some kind of festival happening in the park tomorrow...I hope it won’t be too crowded. Byul is probably going to be sad about missing it, so I’m going to try to win a stuffed animal for her. Wish me luck, Diary!

 


 

Dear Diary,

 

I finished handing out all of my flyers today very early. I was allowed to leave early too! Thank you, festival! They started setting up so early in the morning that it was already very crowded by the time I got to work. Lots of people came, and the atmosphere was so exciting!

 

I ran into Irene and Seulgi at the festival and joined them for lunch. The three of us video-called Byul, who was really adorably bundled up (in my couch blanket)! That was a lot of fun!

 

The most exciting part, though...I ran into Cat Girl! She was walking around by herself with her cat on her shoulders. Can you believe that, Diary?! I wanted to say hello, but I chickened out. I kind of wished Byul was there...if she teased me enough I might actually try to say hello. Though she got a LOT of comments from people while she walked around, and she looked preeetty uncomfortable.

 

As if that wasn’t exciting enough, I saw Roller Girl too! She was with a few people getting skewers, and I overheard a tall guy calling her Hyejin. I finally learned her name! PROGRESS! Byul called me a gossipy ahjumma when I told her, but I’m already ten episodes into this drama, and I need to see the ending!! She just doesn’t understand!

 

I hope Hyejin and Cat Girl found each other. They both had wandering eyes—please, universe, let the young lovers find each other!!

 

Oh! They had some games set up at the festival with teddy bears. As it turned out, I am amazing at basketball. If I don’t hear back from the daycare job tomorrow, I’m going to try out for the NBA… Okay, Byul just looked over at my diary (while holding the teddy bear I worked so hard to win!) and laughed. I guess I will go punch her now. See you tomorrow, Diary!

 


 

Dear Diary,

 

I think I caught Byulyi’s cold. After the festival yesterday, she insisted on snuggling into me and attacking me with gross, snotty kisses to thank me for the teddy bear. It was cute at the time, but now I’m kind of mad. I kicked her out of the house this morning, and she ended up going to the arcade with Seulgi.

 

BUT! She had the good sense to bring home some congee for me after a while, so I couldn’t stay mad.

 

AND! THIS TURNED OUT TO BE THE MOST EXCITING PART OF MY DAY! Byul ran into Hyejin at the congee restaurant!! She works there!! And the most, MOST exciting part? She recognized Byul from the day at the park! From the super smug face Byul had when she told me this, she probably became friends with her too. I bugged her about this, but she’s being kind of secretive. I think they might be sending messages to each other… Stupid, smelly Byul is keeping this to herself!! Can you believe that?

 

It would be just perfect if Cat Girl becomes my friend. If that happens, I will definitely rub it in Byul’s face.

 


 

Dear Diary,

 

I went back to work today, and I saw Cat Girl! She brought a blanket to the park this time, and I think she was writing or drawing something. The cat was on his skateboard—good to know it wasn’t stolen!

 

I wanted to take my lunch over there and see if I could join her, but while I was walking over (after maybe 30 minutes of yelling at myself to be brave), HYEJIN APPEARED. I saw her skate by the fountain and immediately brighten up at the sight of Cat Girl. She stopped in front of her for a bit and chatted for a while. I was just kind of awkwardly standing around, so I went to find a park bench to eat my lunch. By the time I found one facing the park (where I can watch my drama!), Hyejin was sitting on the blanket beside Cat Girl with the cat in her lap, laughing. IT WAS SO CUTE.

 

From my bench, I could see that Cat Girl was sketching (not writing), and after a while she seemed to be drawing a portrait of Hyejin.

 

Diary, they are so cute. I hope they end up together soon. My heart can’t wait. And now Byul is giving me weird looks from across the room, so she definitely knows I’m writing about my favourite Cat Girl/Roller Girl couple. Hold on, she’s making me get up off the couch so she could tell me something. Stupid Byul.

 

OH MY GOD. BYUL REALLY DOES HAVE HYEJIN’S PHONE NUMBER. AND THEY’VE BEEN CHATTING SINCE YESTERDAY. I feel betrayed. BUT—I did get some very juicy character development (because Byul knows that if she hides this from me any longer, I’m definitely beating her up).

 

Cat Girl’s name is Wheein, and Hyejin is definitely, definitely, definitely in love with her.

 


 

Dear Diary,

 

Neither Hyejin nor Wheein showed up at the park today, but while I was zoning out at work, I did a lot of thinking. I’m such a er for romance movies sometimes that I forget what real life is like. I think I’ve been a little bit intense about Hyejin and Wheein recently, and I think I know why.

 

I was sitting at breakfast with Byul this morning and just kind of...staring at her face. She was checking her phone, so she didn’t notice me staring, but I stared at her for a very long time. I don’t know why, but I just couldn’t get enough of her face even though I see it every day. It just makes me so happy, you know? I think we were really lucky, and I just want this for other people too. Everyone deserves this!

 

I guess now that I’m feeling better, I’m just suddenly full of love.

 

I’m a little jealous that Byul and Hyejin are friends now. I wish I could be Hyejin and Wheein’s friend too. I want to know how love makes them happy, and I want to teach them to take care of each other and stuff. I don’t know.

 

Maybe I’m just a gossipy ahjumma.

 


 

Dear Diary,

 

Sorry I missed the last two days. Byul and I had a very busy weekend because her family came over for a surprise visit. Mother-in-law makes me very anxious. What can I do to make her like me?? They want to do a big family trip to Byul’s grandmother’s place...it sounds like a disaster if you ask me. I never thought I’d look forward to Monday so much!

 

The WheeJin saga continues! Well, sort of. Wheein was drawing at the park today with her cat in a basket, but Hyejin didn’t show up. I might be biased, but I don’t think I imagined Wheein’s wandering eyes today. Soooo there might be a 75% chance that Wheein likes Hyejin too?

 

We’re going to the noraebang in a few minutes with Irene and Seulgi. After this weekend, I think I really need this. Fighting!!

 


 

Dear Diary,

 

WHEEIN TALKED TO ME TODAY. It’s getting weirder and weirder now because Byul has been talking to Hyejin, and I feel like I know everything about these strangers (even if 85% of what I know is what I’ve made up in my head) EXCEPT THEY DON’T KNOW ME.

 

I had a job interview today at the dog daycare place, and I ran into Wheein at the pet store next door, and SHE was the one who approached ME. I was picking up Jjing’s food when, all of a sudden, I hear someone say, “Excuse me, do you work near a park?” MY HEART FLEW OUT OF MY CHEST—I FELT LIKE I WAS CAUGHT IN A CRIME. I turned around as cool as possible and we exchanged a little bow and I said yes.

 

THEN SHE ASKS ME, “Do you distribute flyers?” I couldn’t even speak, so I just nodded. It’s crazy—she’s just a regular person but somehow I felt a little starstruck.

 

Then, she says, “I think I see you almost every day.”

 

I didn’t know what to do, so I just nodded and made up some excuse about my dog’s nonexistent nail appointment and ran away. I feel a little bad because I must’ve been a bit rude, but WHY IS SHE SO BOLD? That completely changes the character I had in mind or her!!

 

Stupid Moonfart laughed when I told her. SHE’S LAUGHING RIGHT NOW. I need to write in the bathroom or something so she’d stop snooping...then again, even the bathroom might not stop her.

 


 

Dear Diary,

 

It was very hot today, so work was not fun at all. It’s a bit hard to smile when your face feels like it’s melting into all of your makeup. After lunch today, I actually fainted for a moment, and now Byul is making me wear a water bottle around my neck when I work. It’s heavy and kind of ugly, but it definitely works…

 

The other thing is that Wheein approached me at work this time (almost at the end of my shift so she, thankfully, was not around for my dramatic fainting episode)! I was a little more prepared since I could see her coming from far away, but I was still very nervous. She apologized for making me uncomfortable last time, which I thought was very sweet of her, and I wanted to lie, but I ended up telling the truth and saying that I was surprised by her boldness.

 

She laughed at this, and her laugh was...joyful...and very loud. AND DO YOU KNOW WHAT SHE SAID NEXT, DIARY? She said she approached me because SHE WANTED TO DRAW A PORTRAIT OF ME. She said I’m very pretty. SHE CALLED ME PRETTY.

 

ALSO SHE IS VERY PRETTY UP CLOSE. Wheein has a dimple, which I’ve somehow never noticed because I was too busy cheering her on.

 

Byul was very happy for me when I told her. Usually, she doesn’t really care, but I guess I’ll take whatever victories I can get! And she said she wasn’t surprised someone wanted to capture my beauty “because your beauty is enough to inspire symphonies.”


She can be so gross sometimes.…………...but I love it.

 


 

Dear Diary,

 

You’ll never guess what happened today. After work today, I met Wheein in the park to pose for my sketch, AND HYEJIN CAME BY TO SAY HI. IT WAS SUCH AN OUT-OF-BODY EXPERIENCE, DIARY. (Her roller skates are actually a very pale pink with bright pink wheels. This whole time I thought they were white! It feels like reality and fantasy merging together...)

 

The way they looked at each other… I felt so… happy? For them? I felt like a third-wheel, but the happiest third wheel in the world, if that makes sense.

 

Anyway, Hyejin stayed with us, then we had ice cream after. It was surreal. While we were walking to the ice cream shop, I was almost positive that Hyejin reached for Wheein’s hand. I remember this very well because my heart was beating really hard and I really wanted it to happen, BUT SHE GOT SCARED.

 

Do you know that feeling when the couple you’re cheering for is almost together, and you’re sitting at your TV yelling at the screen, BUT SOMETHING ALWAYS HOLDS THEM BACK?

 

I wanted to shout, “JUST KISS ALREADY,” but that would have been a very, very, very uncomfortable situation.

 

My personal hardships aside, those two are really fun to hang out with. Whether they notice or not, they have such chemistry, and they’re just so funny. Wheein was a bit shy in the beginning (she said it took a lot of courage to talk to me the other day), but once she felt more relaxed, she’s really a lot of fun. I feel like I could really easily talk to these two even though I’m usually so bad with strangers. Maybe it helps that I sort of know them already (even if they weren’t aware)?

 

Oh! And Wheein is an illustrator! She’s currently working on a children’s book set in a park, which is why she has been drawing there. So hardworking!

 


 

Dear Diary,

I GOT THE JOB! I’m going to give my boss my resignation letter tomorrow. Ahhh, Diary, I’m going to miss my daily episode of the WheeJin saga. I called Byul as soon as I got the news, and she’s going to treat me to dinner tonight! We’re going out for Japanese food later. Right now she’s taking a nap across from me, and she’s so cute. I wish you could see her little nose twitch. It’s like a rabbit’s! 

 

I feel like I’m getting very close to the end of the saga. I think Wheein and Hyejin are friends now? I sent Wheein a message asking if she had Hyejin’s number as a test, but she said she doesn’t. I asked Byul if I should try to hurry things up by getting their phone numbers for each other, but she told me not to.

 

I’m happy that Byul seems to understand romance when it comes to the both of us, BUT WHY CAN’T SHE UNDERSTAND HOW MUCH I NEED TO SEE WHEEIN AND HYEJIN GET TOGETHER?

 

Am I asking too much, Diary?

 


 

Dear Diary,

 

I am writing a second entry today...because...well...how do I begin?

 

I just got home. Byul is just washing up right now, and I’m...sitting in the living room trying to find the words for you, Diary. I guess I’ll start from the beginning.

 

Byul took me out to dinner today to celebrate my new job at the doggie daycare. We went to Japanese restaurant her coworker recommended, and when we got there, Hyejin and Wheein were there. Not just in the restaurant, but AT our table. Byul’s “coworker” turned out to be Hyejin herself. And they were not just sitting at our table, they were sitting at our table holding hands.

 

Diary, Hyejin and Wheein have been dating for a FOUR WHOLE DAYS, and STUPID BUTTHEAD BYUL KEPT IT A SECRET FROM ME.

 

I could not believe it...and not to mention, I was so embarrassed!! Thankfully, Byul didn’t fully expose how much I was cheering them on. I have to give her some credits for downplaying everything and introducing me as “the girlfriend who just really wants to meet you.” Byul is safe for another night. Still, I was not ready for this!!

 

Apparently, while I was worrying about my mother-in-law on Monday, Wheein and Hyejin were progressing their storyline without me knowing! That day, Wheein was drawing in the park, and she was halfway home when a passing car scared her cat out of his basket and he took off running down the street, too fast for her to grab his leash, and she ended up running three blocks after him, when she suddenly turned a corner and ran into somebody.

 

Diary, I am shivering as I retell this story, because it is SO CUTE.

 

Of course that somebody was Hyejin!! They got a little scratched up, but they laughed it off and searched for the cat together (his name is Ggomo, by the way—like the yoghurt! ISN’T THAT CUTE?). Even though Wheein was very worried, they found him, and then...AND THEN HYEJIN JUST CONFESSED! Just like that!! She said something like, “I really like you. Do you want to get a drink with me?”

 

Hyejin is so cool. Seriously.

 

I can’t believe my drama ended without me knowing. It’s like missing the last episode. AN EPISODE THAT CAN NEVER BE WATCHED. To make matters worst, Byul got to be a part of it and I didn’t! It seems she helped Hyejin through some things and ended up developing a very fast friendship. I wish I was as charismatic as Byul sometimes, but I guess I was happy admiring from afar too. 

 

Okay, I know I’m overreacting just a little. They’re entitled to their private moment. They’re just...so...cute. But it’s okay—they were really cute during the dinner. They’re still shy, so they just held hands and looked kind of uncomfortable around me and Byul (it probably doesn’t help that Byul is very affectionate and, well, after five years, she really stopped caring).

 

I’m so happy. SO HAPPY. I just really can’t believe these last few weeks. We made new friends! Who would’ve thought? And these two… Byul says they remind her of us, but I think we’re two different shades of adorable, you know?

 

Oh, Byul is coming out now. I don’t know why, but I suddenly really want to hug her and tell her I love her and how happy she makes me, so I think I’ll do that.

 

Until next time, Diary!

 

End.
 


Notes: Hello all~ Wow an update so soon? I'm proud of myself too, friends. I really wanted to focus on AIU the last two days, but I found myself burning out a bit, and I needed a palette cleanser, so to speak. This way, I refresh my emotions and go back to AIU with a clean slate. Anyway, the song is not super related to this story, but I thought it really fit the mood. But YAY! First legit MAMAMOO song!

The inspiration for this story is actually a culmination of a bunch of different notes I made for the Songbook. I wrote down things like "diary," "I saw you ad," and "second person." Somehow it became this story. Funny enough, back when I writing GLASS, my friend was supposed to write a wheesa fic from a moonsun point of view, and I'd wanted to pick up the torch for a while now. I guess this is a good of an entry as any!

Hope you enjoyed this. I certainly did!