Nineteen

Walk On Memories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: I'm not completely satisfied with this chapter, but classes are starting again and I didn't want to make you guys wait. So please excuse my crappy writing!

-------

 

If not for the hospital policies, Kris would have insisted to stay the night with Jocelyn. He left unwillingly, being dragged by Suho.

The next morning, as soon as visiting hours were available, Kris ushered Suho to make a trip to the hospital.

They parted ways when they arrived on the fifth floor. Kris rushed off to see Jocelyn while Suho stopped in front of Yixing's office.

The door was slightly ajar. The fist preparing to knock gradually lowered back to his side as he noticed the young doctor soundly asleep atop his desk.

He tiptoed inside, gently closing the door behind him. Observing his surroundings, he saw patient files and reports littered across the desk. There were at least three empty coffee cups in the trash bin, and one half finished beside the untouched protein bar. Suho frowned at the sight as he concluded Yixing must have been so busy, he neglected his own health.

As Damon's personal assistant, being organized was practically his second nature. He attempted to tidy the clutter around the table. As he hovered above Yixing, Suho felt the cool breeze from the vent.

He shook his head disapprovingly. Doctors really don't know how to take care of themselves. He thought ironically to himself.

Without hesitation, he ed his blazer and intended to drape it over Yixing with utmost caution.

Unfortunately, it was inevitable that the latter stirred from his slumber.

Taken by surprise, Suho swiftly pulled his blazer away before Yixing could register what happened.

Yixing lifted his head, bringing his fists to rub the bleariness from his eyes. Once his vision cleared, he was startled to see Suho.

"G-good morning." Suho greeted, trying to stifle his laughter upon seeing the bird's nest resting on the other's head.

Disoriented, Yixing followed Suho's line of sight and fumbled to smooth out his hair. "Morning." He mumbled; eyes downcast as a shade of light pink painted across his face.

Suho detected the awkwardness he caused Yixing and opted to explain the reason for his visit. "I dropped Kris off to see Jocelyn and thought I'd have breakfast with you while I waited." He held up the big brown bag he set down on the chair earlier.

Yixing gawked at the array of food, ranging from hash browns, to salads, soup, and sandwiches; his mouth salivated, it'd been a while since he'd had a proper meal.

"I should be the one treating you to breakfast." He smiled sheepishly.

When he saw Suho's puzzlingly gaze, he elaborated. "Kris never had many friends growing up, and he still doesn't to this day." He uncapped the lid off a container of soup. "So, thank you for being here for him."

Silence ensued as Suho took the time to process the validity of Yixing's words. He'd never noticed until now that Kris spent his time either in the office or with Jocelyn.

"Why is that?" The words of curiosity slipped his tongue before he could cease himself.

"Mostly because of his intimidating demeanor, but believe it or not, he used to be friendlier." Yixing chuckled lightly, his dimples appearing as he reminisced the past. "Kris and Luhan's parents used to be business partners. Kris' parents adored Luhan and they always had play dates. Naturally, they grew up being the best of friends, eventually dating so Kris never saw the need for any other friends."

Suho's eyes widened in utter shock at the unexpected information. He forcefully swallowed his mouthful of coffee hastily to avoid spewing Yixing right in the face. As a result, he couldn't refrain from coughing uncontrollably. 

Alarmed by the reaction, Yixing passed him a tissue. "Are you okay?" A look of concern washed over his facial features.

The other nodded, slightly embarrassed, he thanked him for the tissue.

"Hard to believe, isn't it?" The young doctor's smile was somber. Momentarily losing his appetite, he absentmindedly poked at his salad.

"What happened to them?" Suho knew better than to be nosy, but the story piqued his interest and he was eager to continue listening.

Yixing shrugged. "I'm not really sure. Ever since the day Kris' mother passed away, Luhan seemed to have disappeared too. He desperately searched for five years. But not only was he unsuccessful, Kris fell into severe depression. When he recovered, he transformed into a completely different person."

Silence fell upon them again as they ventured into their own thoughts.

After the revelation, Suho felt as though he was meeting Kris for the very first time. The Kris he knew was egotistical, possessive, and proud. It never occurred to him that maybe the blonde hadn't always been that way. Suho couldn't empathize, but he could imagine how difficult it must have been for Kris to lose two significant loved ones at once.

His mind suddenly drifted off to that day he stopped by Kris' house to deliver the divorce papers. At the time he couldn't comprehend why the blonde reacted so strongly to the idea of him falling in love with Luhan. He'd only started working for Damon four years ago, so he'd been unaware of Kris' past. Now, things were making more sense to him.

"Hey Suho."

The said man diverted his attention to Yixing. The latter had his bottom lip wedged between his teeth, appearing like a child caught stealing candy.

"Kris doesn't like bringing up the past, so can you pretend we never had this conversation?"

The warm reassuring grin plastered across Suho's lips immediately had a calming affect on Yixing. "I'll keep this between us."

Immediately relieved, the latter couldn't prevent the uplifting of his own lips at the response.

--------

Kris had been pacing in the hallway of Jocelyn's room for the past half hour, mentally preparing himself.

He suddenly panicked, unsure of how she would react to seeing him. On top of that, his escalating fear of being in the hospital was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter