Five.

The Value of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Who says there's no drama having a guy best friend?

Because Jung Junghee certainly doesn’t feel that way.

 

“Jeon Jungkook!” She waves when the boy finally comes out. She greets—which is something she stops doing since middle school—, “Good morning!”

But her best friend, who is clearly still sulking because of yesterday, ignores her. He even acts like no one is talking to him or there, waiting for him in front of his place. He gets on his bicycle, pedaling away from her.

She sighs, annoyed that he hasn’t forgiven her. Quickly, she starts to pedal too. “Wait for me!” she shouts, catching up.

The ride from their neighborhood to the school is a torment. She’s trying to get his attention through it. From saying something stupid that usually gets him to mock her to pointing something to make him look only to fail. Nothing works. He either rolls his eyes, clicks his tongue, or mostly ignore her. He still ignores her when they arrive school and park their bikes.

Jungkook halts when he feels her fingers around his wrist. But she doesn’t say she’s sorry. She doesn’t try to make him look at her way. She doesn’t do anything but stands still. He looks over his shoulders, locking eyes with the girl who has angered him. After one or two minutes, she shakes his arm she’s holding, biting her lips. He sighs, thinking maybe he should just forgive her already. She’d explained herself. She’d apologized for many times. He parts his lips, about to say something when someone suddenly shows up.

Junghee smiles at the boy who has called her, approaching her and Jungkook. He looks at her hand around her friend’s wrist, eyeing the two, and asks, “Is everything okay?”

“Yeah. What’s up?” Jungkook tries to free his hand from her. He doesn’t want to stay, listening to their conversation but she won’t let him as she tightens her hold.

“The movie you mentioned yesterday.”—Jungkook rolls his eyes upon hearing ‘yesterday’—“They’re selling the tickets already and I’ve purchased two on the 26th. Would you watch it with me?” the boy, whose name is Lee Taehyun, shyly asks, scratching his cheek.

Wait. Did he say the 26th? No. No. Junghee can’t accept his invitation. He needs her on that day.

“I’d love too!” she practically shouts, beaming at Taehyun. And Jungkook doesn’t even get the chance to stop he because she replies him immediately. He scoffs at the girl. Fuming, he swings his arm back to get rid of her grip. Junghee stares at her friend stomping away, baffled at his sudden behavior.

 

Junghee doesn’t know what she does wrong. It’s like Jungkook is furious at her more than this morning. Before Taehyun came interrupting them, she thought he’s about to forgive her judging by his expression. But then he’s being moody, stomping around the school. Face looks like he’ll eat anyone who tries to touch him or talk to him.

“What did you do?” Eunji glances at her and Jungkook back-and-forth.

Yesterday, which was Sunday, the Jungs supposed to be at Jungkook’s place to watch Fast and Furious marathon. She said she’ll be there after having her lunch. And when she opened her front door, about to go to his place which is just the opposite of her home, she found Lee Taehyun, whose finger hung mid-air, looking like he’s going to ring the bell.

“Taehyun-ssi, what are you doing here?” she asked, tucking her loose hair behind her ear.

His lips opened and closed like a fish out of the water that she found it's really cute of him. He pulled himself together finally and asked, “H-have you had your lunch?”

“I have,” she answered, forming an apologetic smile to him.

He wanted to hit himself, scolding himself that he should had left his home earlier. He thought of a response quickly, and still stuttering, he said, “W-well. I haven’t. Do y-you mind to a-a-accompany me?” Finger crossing behind his back while waiting for her reply.

Junghee should really reject his offer and went to his friend who must had been getting impatient. But the boy had wasted his time all the way to her neighborhood to invite her for lunch only to find that she had. He hadn’t had lunch and must be hungry. And she didn’t have the heart to send him away so, in the end, she agreed to go with him. She glanced at Jungkook’s home as they passed. Pulling her phone from her pocket, she sent him a text of an apology.

[13:09] Muscle pig: What the ?

[13:09] Bigfoot: I can’t just send him away!

[13:10] Muscle pig: You can’t just break your promise!

[13:10] Bigfoot: I’m sorry! We reschedule to next Saturday.

[13:10] Bigfoot:

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter