Two.

The Value of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Junghee moves to sit next to Jungkook. Keeping their distances short so that they could talk in low voice, nobody'll hear them, and able to hear what each other says.

“Did you do it?” she asks, looking at her good looking buddy expectantly.

“N-No! Of course not!” he gives her a weird face Are you crazy? look are obvious in his face. “That’s why I broke up with her in the first place,” he pushes her forehead with his forefinger.

She snarls at him, reminding him how much she doesn't like it when someone pushes her head. But then she grins too wide and weird for his liking in a blink. Using her elbow to nudge Jungkook twice. “Jeon Jungkook,” she calls out his name in amusement, “I never heard a man says ‘no’ before to that. As your best friend,”—she hits her own chest—“I’m very proud of you!” Her thumb flicks up at him.

Junghee knows that it’s not this friend of hers doesn’t want to do that. To experience it at least once. Of course he wants too. He’s a man, for goodness’s sakes. He ever told her that how he actually wanted to try and he’s a bit insecure because out of all his male friends, he’s the only one who is still a . But he still won’t do it because of an incident that’s hot in their school for almost a year. It’s a three years senior to them has gotten a girl from our same school pregnant. The both of them were instantly expelled and had been receiving nothing but whispers and subtle pity looks. That gets Jungkook afraid to try it. He’s afraid he would have the same fate as the senior. So, he promises to himself that he’ll just save his ity until marriage.

When he told her, she laughed her off at him. She didn’t believe in him that he would stay until marriage. Not even a tiny bit. She thinks that eventually he’d be like ‘ it’. Wait for another three months or four. But, now, it has been a year and Jungkook’s still a . He even broke up with the girl who was practically throwing herself at him.

Jung Junghee can never be prouder than ever at her best friend.  

“I’m curious,” she starts suddenly. Jungkook eyes her, eyebrows furrowing. “You’re not tempted? I mean—It’s okay to you-know-what," she stares curiously at what he will reply.

He shrugs his shoulder, thinking about last night. “I’m a man. Of course, I’m tempted. B-but, you know, it’s better this way—” she stares at the way he stares at the ceiling like it has answer for him. And maybe it does, because when he has it, his eyes moves back to hers, “Safe.”

“—“

“That senior used but looks where he is now.”

She nods understandingly. He’s probably somewhere doing labor work, earning money for the girl he got pregnant and their baby. And he probably doesn’t earn much but he can’t work other places that offers higher wage when he doesn’t even get to finish his high school.

She looks to her left when Jungkook lands a not-so-light-but-not-so-hard punch at her arm. She clicks her tongue at the boy. 

“In the future, when a guy want to do that with you, I want you to be careful. Do you hear me?” he ruffles her hair.

Junghee smiles at his nag and the worried look on his face. “Don’t worry. I'm saving it until I get married.” She winks at him. Then, she lifts up her fist in front of him. He raises one of his eyebrows at her fist in the air. “Here to stay s until our marriages. We’re buddies!” she exclaims excitedly that Jungkook laughs at the lame and kind of embarrassing new addition to their friendship’s name.

“Why am I even friend with you,” he mutters to himself rather than to her or anyone else as he bumps his fist against her.

 

The last two bookshelves at the very end of the school library consist of books that aren’t really useful for students. So no one ever bother to seek for books until there. It’s basically deserted. And that’s why it’s a perfect place for Junghee whenever she feels down or anxious when she’s still at school. It’s her sanctuary. It’s deserted, and quiet, and no one will disturb her when she’s trying to calm herself down.

That’s what Jung Junghee is doing at this moment. Curling into a ball at the corner, head is hidden above her folded arms that are propped up by her knees. Her eyes are shut so no tears will slip down. Her mind keeps chanting ‘just forget about it’ like

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter