One.

The Value of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jung Junghee cringes at the sight of inside her purse. Then she glances at where her best friend is and smirks. One of the uses of having best friend is to make them pay for your food. “You’re treating me today,” she says as she hits him, her oh-beloved-best-friend, Jeon Jungkook.

“Say what?!” he glares at the girl in disbelief.

She presses her lips, slowly inching closer and brushing their arms together. It’s a silent and shy plea. “Don’t be stingy,” she nudges him a couple times, “I’m broke.”

When the two best friends are inside the cafeteria, Junghee turns to face Jungkook, causing him halts in his steps. Jungkook lifts his fist, making it looks like he’s about to hit her because she surprises him. Junghee simply laughs at his reaction. She nods at the queue, “I want curry. I’ll see you at the usual table.” But he grabs her arm before she can walk away. “I’m not your freaking slave,” he grumbles. Pulling her with him to get their food together. And despite his non-stop grumbling from their classroom to the cafeteria, he takes out his wallet and pays both of their meals.

He eyes her with hatred flaring in his eyes. She catches his eyes, making her own turns into a crescent moon and saying her gratitude with mouth full of food. He groans and complains that she’s dirty and she should have swallowed before talking.

“What do you mean you’re broke?”

“I’ve used up all my allowance.”

“You mean you haven’t gotten this month allowance?”

Junghee shakes her head, keep eating and talking at the same time. “I asked my dad for this month allowance last month to buy an original Superman figure for Dujun-sunbae. So, I don't have any money left for this month because of the figure.”

He feels his left eye twitches in annoyance at her reason. Choi Dujun. A senior of the two who is seeing the girl in front of him. They see each other, date a couple of times but aren’t actually in relationship. His fingers reach into his temple, slowly massaging it. He doesn’t understand why she has to buy an original figure and it must be ridiculous expensive. They aren't even dating, for Pete’s sakes. It's really a bad habit of hers and this isn't her first time. What he hates more is that they have just started whatever-it-is for not nearly three months. And she has already spent her two months of allowance for him?!

Through gritted teeth, he tries to keep his voice down and stable, “Then shouldn’t you ask Dujun-sunbae to pay for your meal? Why me?” His neck stretches out, trying to catch the sight of the senior, “Where is he anyway? Why aren’t you with him?”

“We broke up,” her fingers make a movement like quotation marks when she said ‘broke up’, “—last night.” She says without looking up from her bowl. And Jungkook knows that despite the lightness in her words, she’s sad about it because: 1) she can’t look at him in the eyes, 2) her lips purse after that. He sighs in pity for her because this stupid girl, who emptied her money for a boy she saw for not nearly three months, likes him. But that doesn’t change the fact how his hands are itching to throw his bowl of Japanese noodle at her.

“He asked for it?” he makes sure.

Junghee nods, lips tightly shut.

Jungkook can feel the blood inside his body is boiling. The desire to throw his bowl to her has now shifted to their senior instead. What a prick. His best friend spent money for him. Gave him his favorite figure which is original. Bought his lunch for him whenever he asked (and that's almost all the time). Jotted down his notes for him whenever he was left behind. And he ‘broke up’ with her?

Can’t the bastard see that this girl, Jung Junghee, has been nothing but nice to him?

“Why the do you have to buy the figure for him?!” Unconsciously, Jungkook raises his voice that he’s been so hard to keep down. He can’t yell at his senior. It’s disrespectful. And besides, if you think deeply, you can’t really push all the blames to him. It’s his friend that is foolish. It’s this girl who is in front of him that is too submissive. So he goes for her instead.

Junghee slams down her spoon at her friend’s sudden outburst. “Why are you yelling at me?!”

“Don’t you think you deserve to be yelled?! How many times have I told you? Don’t spend too much money at guys. You’re not even in relationship. Why do you have to spend ridiculous amount of money all the time?!”

At this moment, he doesn’t even care that all heads in the cafeteria has turned to their table. His breath comes out short and loud due to anger and annoyance towards her. He counts to ten to calm himself down while J

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter