Sparks Part II

Like the Lotus: The Next Generation

After school, Eun-Jeong went straight to her room—barely speaking to anyone—and collapsed onto her bed. It felt like the worst day in the history of existence… After the initial rejection from Seok-Young—and then again, after she'd seen him with Gun Mi Na—Eun-Jeong had cried her eyes out in a bathroom stall.

A broken heart… So this was what it felt like… And it hurt so bad that she wanted to die…

Her stomach had been in knots all day, so she hadn't eaten a thing, nor had she been able to concentrate in school. She'd even scored poorly on a quiz because of it…

Eun-Jeong just kept replaying her conversation with Seok-Young over and over and over in her head… And each time she ran through it, she felt like falling apart. She really didn't know how she managed to keep it together all day…

And then there was that kiss… Sure, it was a friend kiss—to the forehead—but it had still managed to turn her into complete mush…


Eun-Jeong was relieved to finally reach the sanctuary of her room, and she collapsed into the warm arms of her queen sized bed. She pulled out her phone and brought up the song "First Love" by Berry Good on her playlist, stuck in a pair of earbuds, and hit repeat. She grabbed her favorite stuffed animal and squeezed it tight. And she cried…

Eun-Jeong's phone suddenly vibrated next to her. She picked it up and opened the text message. It was from Seok-Young…

It simply read: "Annyeong. How are you?" And there was a little smiley face after that.

Ugh, don't even bother, Oppa… You're worried about how I'm doing now? What, do you think I'm not alright?

Eun-Jeong decided not to respond, and she sunk back into the warm bosom of her pillow.


Eun-Jeong lay on her back staring up at the ceiling—allowing the tears to freely stream down her cheeks—when a knock came at the door. She sat up and pulled out the earbuds, and she quickly wiped away her tears.

"Come in…," she called. And Yeong-Hui entered.

Yeong-Hui took one look at her twin and knew that something awful had happened. She released a soft sigh and went to Eun-Jeong's bed. She sat on the edge of it.

"What happened, Eun-Jeong-ah?"

Eun-Jeong sniffed, "What do you mean?" Her eyes had a pinkish tint to them, and her face was tear-stained.

Yeong-Hui raised a brow. "Come on, Eun-Jeong-ah, I know something is wrong. I'm your twin sister… I know you better than anyone; you can't fool me… Not to mention the depressing atmosphere in here…the blasting of music, the fact that you've been crying on your bed… And what have you been listening to, anyway?"

Yeong-Hui snatched the phone from Eun-Jeong before she could protest. "Ah, I see… 'First Love,' huh? You got it bad, don't you?"

Eun-Jeong scoffed and looked away.

"Oh, hey you have a message…," Yeong-Hui commented, and Eun-Jeong quickly took her phone back.

Yeong-Hui sighed, "Does this mood of yours by chance have something to do with Oppa?"

Eun-Jeong dropped her head and sniffled. "Well…yes," she nodded, "I…told Oppa that…I like him…"

"I see. And I take it that it didn't go the way you wanted…"

Eun-Jeong shook her head pitifully. "He told me that…he…likes me…but as a…sister!" Eun-Jeong dramatically threw herself down upon the bed and buried her face in her pillow.

Yeong-Hui sighed. "That's nonsense..."

"Huh?" Eun-Jeong turned her face toward her sister, as she lay clutching her pillow.

"Oppa was obviously not being truthful, or maybe he doesn't realize his feelings… Whatever the case, I've seen how he looks at you and the way he flirts with you. He definitely likes you more than a sister and more than a friend…"

"You really think so?" Eun-Jeong sat up slowly, still grasping onto the pillow. She wore a slight pout upon her full lips, but her moistened eyes grew hopeful.

Yeong-Hui nodded. "Yes, I really think so."

"So…what do you think I should do, Yeong-Hui-ah?"

"Hm…," Yeong-Hui placed a finger to her dimpled chin. She suddenly snapped her fingers, as if she'd had some great epiphany. "I think you should force Oppa to admit his feelings for you…"

"Huh? Force him…how?" Eun-Jeong had to admit that she was a bit curious about what her sister had in mind.

Yeong-Hui tossed Eun-Jeong a devious grin. "I think you should make him jealous…"

Eun-Jeong pursed her lips, "Jealous… How?"

"Maybe you should pretend to be interested in someone else… Maybe we could even get a guy to show interest in you and play along…"

Eun-Jeong gaped at her twin. "What?" Eun-Jeong scoffed, "How would we do that?"

"Well, I have a few guy friends…," Yeong-Hui brought out her devilish smile again.

"Oh yes, I know about these so-called guy friends of yours, Yeong-Hui-ah... And I've been meaning to talk to you about that…," Eun-Jeong replied. "Don't you think you should stop stringing along these poor guys? They're obviously hopelessly in love with you… They're like little puppies, following you around and drooling all over you…"

"I'm not stringing them along," Yeong-Hui responded assertively, "I've never given them any kind of romantic encouragement."

Eun-Jeong sighed, "OK, then. Fine, my mistake." She'd hold off on further discussion until another time, she supposed.

"So, what do you think about my plan then, Eun-Jeong-ah?"

Eun-Jeong thought for a moment. I can't go through with that…can I?

"I don't like it. I can't do it, Yeong-Hui-ah! And I am surprised at you! When did you get to be so diabolical?"

Yeong-Hui gave a little laugh. "It's for a good cause. I love my unnie very much, and I love Oppa, too, even though he's being a big dummy right now… It's for Oppa's good, too. He doesn't seem to realize what will make him happy, so, we'd be helping him out. Oh, and I also think you should make sure to look extra nice around him… Make sure Oppa knows exactly what he's missing out on!"

"Well…," Eun-Jeong paused to consider, "No, I can't!"

Yeong-Hui sighed, rather disappointed that she wasn't going to get to see her brilliant plan through to fruition. "OK then…"

"Thanks anyway, Yeong-Hui-ah…"

Yeong-Hui pursed her lips. "Suit yourself. Hm, maybe the direct route would be better anyway. Maybe I should have a little chat with Oppa instead...," she grinned.

"No! Don't do that, Yeong-Hui-ah, please!"

Yeong-Hui released a disappointed sigh. "OK, fine, I won't…"

...


That evening…

Jan Di sat with Ga Eul in the living room of the So household, visiting and having tea. Yi Jeong was at the museum.

Jan Di took a sip of her tea. Something had been on her mind, and she wasn't sure if she should bring it up to Ga Eul…

"So, Ga Eul-ah, how has Eun-Jeong-ah been ?" Jan Di finally decided to ask.

"Oh, she's doing fine, Jan Di-yah. She's a typical teenager, I suppose," Ga Eul smiled.

Jan Di squinted over at Ga Eul. Ga Eul had been rather quiet lately, as if she had some secret she was keeping… And Jan Di vowed to find out what it was…

"So, you said that Eun-Jeong is starting to like boys, right?"

Ga Eul nodded. "Mm," she took a sip of her tea.

Jan Di cleared . "Well, you know, I had an interesting conversation with Eun-Jeong-ah the night that Seo Hyun Unnie came to dinner..."

"Oh, did you?" Ga Eul turned to Jan Di in interest.

"Yes. She was asking about how I got Ji Hoo to like me..."

Ga Eul laughed. "Did you tell her the story?"

"More or less. I didn't go into all the drama of it. But I did talk to her about him coming to my rescue and being my soulmate and about love… I'm sorry if I shouldn't have. I know that's your place, but she was asking questions..."

"It's OK. I had a similar talk with her, too."

Jan Di nodded. "And I noticed something that night...," she began.

"Oh? What did you notice, Jan Di-yah?"

"Well, I don't know if I should tell you this, but it seems as though Eun-Jeong may…have a crush on my son…"

Ga Eul nodded slowly and a faint smile crossed her lips. "Yes, I know. She talked to me about him."

"You knew?" Jan Di turned fully to Ga Eul.

Ga Eul nodded.

"And you didn't tell me?!"

"Well, Jan Di-yah, she didn't really want anyone to know, that's why. It was a mother-daughter promise; you understand that. I didn't even tell Yi Jeong. And let me tell you…that was not easy because he's noticed the way she's been acting, and he's concerned... But it seems that Eun-Jeong's emotions gave her away to you anyway."

"Mm." Suddenly, Jan Di smiled brightly and clasped her hands together. "I think this is so great! Imagine if our kids got together! I think they would be so cute together! Don't you think so, Ga Eul-ah?"

Ga Eul smiled. "Well, yes, I think Seok-Young would be a great choice for Eun-Jeong, if he feels the same way about her, that is…"

Jan Di paused, "Oh, right…" Jan Di realized that in her excitement she'd failed to consider that possibility. "I'm not sure how he feels about her… But how could any boy not like So Eun-Jeong?!"

Ga Eul smiled in appreciation of Jan Di's compliment.

"Ji Hoo seems to think that Seok-Young likes a girl…perhaps it is Eun-Jeong! Maybe I could somehow find out…," Jan Di deliberated.

"I'm sure it'll come out in time if anything happens. Actually Eun-Jeong was considering telling Seok-Young about her feelings for him… Hmm, I wonder if she told him yet…," Ga Eul mused. "She's been in her room all evening. I'm kind of worried…"


"Unnie did tell Oppa about her feelings..." The 10-year-old Ae-Jeong said, as she crept into the living room.

"Oh, Ae-Jeong-Y! Where did you come from?" Jan Di asked, slightly startled.

"Oh, hello, Baby. We didn't see you there…," Ga Eul added. "Did you say that Eun-Jeong told Seok-Young about her feelings for him?"

Ae-Jeong approached her eomma and aunt. "Yes, Unnie did tell Oppa that she likes him…"

"And what happened, Ae-Jeong-Y?" Jan Di asked. She and Ga Eul eagerly awaited the youngest So's response—literally on the edge of their seats.

All of a sudden, Yeong-Hui rushed into the room. "Ae-Jeong-Y! Where did you hear that?!" she demanded.

Ae-Jeong looked to her sister. "Well, I overheard you and Eun-Jeong Unnie talking…"

Ae-Jeong turned back to Ga Eul and Jan Di. "Oppa told Unnie that he likes her as a sister only…"

Yeong-Hui gaped at her little sister.

"He said what?!" Jan Di exclaimed. Ga Eul's face fell.

Yeong-Hui rushed over to Ae-Jeong and covered . "Ae-Jeong-Y! That was supposed to be a secret…," she hissed.

Ae-Jeong started babbling through Yeong-Hui's hand. Ga Eul sighed. "Yeong-Hui, please don't cover your sister's mouth…"

Yeong-Hui sighed and released Ae-Jeong, who immediately began talking again. "Ye, Eomma…," she stepped away from Yeong-Hui, who was glaring daggers at her. Ae-Jeong stuck her tongue out at her older sister.

"Why is it a secret, Unnie? Eomma and Aunt Jan Di should know that Oppa broke Unnie's heart…," Ae-Jeong muttered sadly, clasping her hands in front of her and looking to Ga Eul and Jan Di with large doe-eyes.

Jan Di and Ga Eul exchanged a disheartened look. "I wonder if I should go and check on Eun-Jeong," Ga Eul muttered.

"It's OK… She's fine, Eomma. She just wants to be alone," Yeong-Hui interjected. Ga Eul gave a sad nod.

Jan Di grimaced, and she folded her arms tight across her chest. "Well, maybe I should just have a little talk with my son…"

"Oh, I don't know if that's a good idea, Jan Di-yah… It would have been nice, but if Seok-Young doesn't feel that way about Eun-Jeong there's nothing we can do. We can't force him to have feelings for her…"

Jan Di sighed and gave a slow nod. "I suppose you're right…"

"Oppa does have feelings for Unnie!" Ae-Jeong interjected. Yeong-Hui gave her a cautionary glance and took a step toward her. Ga Eul raised a brow, and Yeong-Hui stopped dead in her tracks.

Ga Eul and Jan Di turned back to Ae-Jeong.

"Really, Baby?" Ga Eul asked.

"Yes, Oppa has been flirting with Unnie…," Ae-Jeong replied, feeling very pleased with herself that she had such important news to share.

Yeong-Hui smacked her own forehead lightly and shook her head.

"Oh, he has been, has he?!" Jan Di released an exasperated exhale.

Ae-Jeong nodded her head, and her short pigtails bobbed along. "That's what Yeong-Hui Unnie said, right Unnie?"

"Aigoo! Yes, that's right, Ae-Jeong-Y…," Yeong-Hui conceded.

"And Yeong-Hui Unnie told Eun-Jeong Unnie that she should make Oppa jealous, and she was going to have her guy friend help out, but Eun-Jeong Unnie said no."

Yeong-Hui went over to Ae-Jeong again and placed her hands upon her sister's smaller shoulders. Ae-Jeong looked up and scowled at her. "Don't you cover up my mouth again, Unnie!"

Yeong-Hui gave a nervous laugh and looked to Ga Eul, still holding onto the younger So. "That was just a little joke, Eomma…"

Ga Eul shook her head at her daughter.

"Eomma, Aunt Jan Di, don't tell Eun-Jeong-ah or Oppa that you know about this, OK?" Yeong-Hui pleaded.

Ga Eul and Jan Di looked between each other and then back to the girls.

"Alright, Yeong-Hui," Ga Eul replied. And Jan Di nodded.

"Go on now…," Ga Eul waved them off, and the girls rushed out of the room.


Jan Di gave a heavy sigh. "Aigoo, I can't believe Seok-Young would do that… I'm so sorry, Ga Eul…"

"It's not your fault, Jan Di-yah. And I'm sure Seok-Young had his reasons. He's not a cruel boy. I don't think he would purposely toy with Eun-Jeong's heart..."

"Well, no, I wouldn't think so either…but if he didn't have feelings for her, then he shouldn't have been flirting with her and leading her on!"

"I agree, Jan Di-yah…," Ga Eul replied somberly.

"I don't want my son to go around breaking hearts…I won't allow it!"

Ga Eul could tell that her best friend was worked up. "Now, don't do anything rash, Jan Di-yah. We should probably let them work it out…"

Jan Di nodded, but the gears in her head already appeared to be rapidly turning.

"At least maybe consult with Ji Hoo first…," Ga Eul suggested. "I mean, he had that talk with Seok-Young recently, right?"

Jan Di sighed heavily and nodded. "Yes, that's a good idea…I'll do that."


Later that evening…

Seok-Young sat in the living room of his home with Gun Mi Na next to him on the couch. They still wore their school uniforms, but they had taken their jackets off. Seok-Young was silently looking over a piece of sheet music, while Mi Na studied him. Her elbow rested against her knee and her head was in her hand.

"What do you think of it, Sunbae?" Mi Na asked. She inched closer to him on the couch. Seok-Young noticed this and subtly slid away.

"It's pretty good," he replied, focusing fully upon the musical score again, "I think it's a good choice for the duet."

Mi Na continued to stare at Seok-Young—while he memorized the score—a faint smile playing upon her lips.

Jan Di had returned home. She put on a fake smile and entered the room with a tray of tea and cookies. Seok-Young and Mi Na looked up, and Mi Na quickly put some distance between herself and Seok-Young.

"Oh, hi, Eomma," Seok-Young said casually. And he introduced Mi Na.

Mi Na stood and gave Jan Di a bow. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Yoon!"

Jan Di gave Mi Na a nod. She smiled and placed the tray down upon the coffee table. "Here you go, some tea and snacks," she said.

"Thank you, Eomma," Seok-Young replied, and then he went right back to the music.

"Can I get anything else for you two?" Jan Di asked.

Seok-Young looked to Mi Na. "Oh, no thank you, Mrs. Yoon!" she stood and bowed again. Jan Di also gave her a short bow.

"No, we're fine. Thank you, Eomma," Seok-Young added.

Jan Di pursed her lips and nodded. It was taking everything she had to hold her tongue. How could Seok-Young break Eun-Jeong's heart and then immediately invite another girl over. Oh, sure they were rehearsing together, but Jan Di was suspicious…

Perhaps this was the girl Ji Hoo had been talking about that Seok-Young liked and not Eun-Jeong, after all… Jan Di sighed.

This Gun Mi Na… Jan Di wasn't quite sure what to make of her just yet… But right away Jan Di had decided that she wore too much makeup and that she was entirely too friendly

Jan Di left the room. She knew she shouldn't, but she decided to eavesdrop a little…so she hung around the corner of the kitchen entrance and peeked out slightly.

"You know, I was just thinking…perhaps we should change the bridge slightly…," Seok-Young closed his eyes and began to hum it to himself. He opened his eyes again and grabbed a pencil to change several of the notes.

"Oh yes, that does sound much better…," Mi Na murmured dreamily, and she leaned in slightly. "You know, you have a very nice voice, Sunbae…"

"Thank you," Seok-Young responded flatly.

Jan Di rolled her eyes—this girl was way too obvious—and went back into the kitchen. But she planned to find some excuse to check on them again soon…

Mi Na glanced toward the kitchen and—noticing the coast was clear—scooted closer to Seok-Young again. She laid a hand on his arm, and he looked at her curiously.

"Sunbae…," she twirled a strand of her long, wavy hair around her finger.

"Yes?"

"Would it be alright if I called you…Oppa?"


Seok-Young blinked a few times. And his mind drifted to Eun-Jeong…and how she had always called him that…

She even had a special way of saying it—he could hear her voice in his head—and somehow the word sounded so much sweeter coming from her… He could even see her lips as she spoke, the way they moved… And she always wore a particular shade of lip gloss—simple, yet alluring…

And he wondered about those cherry red lips… He wondered what it would be like to…

Seok-Young was ripped from such thoughts by the memory of earlier… And he suddenly felt absolutely horrible, recalling what he'd said to Eun-Jeong that morning. He had been feeling awful about it all day, in fact. And it didn't help matters that he always remembered even the tiniest of details…

He could still see Eun-Jeong's face, how devastated she'd looked… And he could still hear her voice, the way it had trembled when she spoke… She'd been so nervous, yet so brave to confess her feelings…

He, on the other hand, had been a complete coward

Seok-Young knew that he'd broken Eun-Jeong's heart, and he hadn't been lying when he'd said that it had broken his, too… His chest ached painfully at the mere thought of it… Focusing upon a task had helped him—not to forget—but to tuck away the pain temporarily… Yet, that one little word had brought it all rushing back in an instant, like a tidal wave.

He'd wanted to make amends, and he'd tried to start a conversation with her through text, but she'd ignored it… Not that he could really blame her…


"No," Seok-Young abruptly replied—harsher than he'd intended. He didn't want Mi Na to call him Oppa… For him, the title was reserved for only a select—special—few…

"What?" Mi Na seemed shocked and a bit hurt. She almost looked as though she was beginning to tear up.

But Seok-Young was a polite and tender-hearted boy. And he felt a bit guilty for being so harsh with Mi Na. She was a nice girl, after all…

Seok-Young sighed. "I'm sorry, Mi Na," he rubbed the back of his neck, "…Well, I um…I suppose you can call me Oppa if you want…," he reluctantly agreed to the request.

Mi Na nodded slowly, "OK."

"Well," Seok-Young cleared his throat, "Shall we run through it then?"

Mi Na nodded, and they pulled out their respective instruments.

Seok-Young and Mi Na played through the piece in perfect harmony, each of them performing their own solo. The piece was a sad love song, and it was wreaking havoc upon Seok-Young's already swirling emotions…

They played the song once more, and then Mi Na glanced at her diamond plated watch. "Oh shoot, I need to get home, Oppa…," she muttered rather dismally.

Seok-Young had to force himself not to show his discontent at hearing that from another girl's lips. "OK," he simply replied. He was rather relieved, actually, for he was physically and emotionally spent. "I'll have someone take you home."

"Gomawo," Mi Na put on a smile, but she was rather disappointed that he wouldn't be going along, too.

Seok-Young arranged for Mi Na's ride, and he walked her out. She hesitated just outside the door—it was obvious what she wanted…

"I'll see you tomorrow at school then," he said. Secretary Park was there now, and he stood with the back door to the Escalade open for her.

And her disappointment was clear as a cloudless sky.

Mi Na nodded. "Yes, I'll see you tomorrow…" They exchanged a quick bow and she got in. Seok-Young shoved his hands into his pockets and went back inside the house.


Jan Di entered the living room again, as Seok-Young returned. The timing was rather perfect because she had been watching them through the window…

Jan Di had tried to stay out of their way while they practiced, but she had been listening and had even taken a couple of quick peeks here and there throughout the evening.

Seok-Young began packing up his violin. Jan Di watched him for a moment.

"How did it go, Seok-Y?" she asked.

"Oh," he looked up, "Fine, Eomma."

Jan Di nodded. She knew that she shouldn't meddle, that she should just wait for Ji Hoo to get home… But he was late… He must have gotten held up in surgery or something, and it was driving her crazy!

"Seok-Y, sit down. Let's talk..."

Seok-Young's brow wrinkled. "OK, Eomma." He sat down on the couch, and Jan Di sat beside him.

"Eomma, is something wrong?"

Jan Di pursed her lips, and she shook her head emphatically. "No, nothing's wrong, Seok-Y…"

"OK. Well, what did you want to talk about, Eomma?" he asked, resting his hands upon his slacks.

Jan Di took a deep breath and released it slowly, poking out her cheeks slightly. Seok-Young studied her quietly.

"Well, I wanted to talk to you about…girls…"

"Really, Eomma…?" Seok-Young raised a brow.

"Don't get smart now, young man!"

"I'm not, Eomma. Sorry. I just…don't understand why you want to talk to me about girls. I already know about…that…" Seok-Young was becoming increasingly uncomfortable.

"It's not…that, Seok-Y. It's…more specific."

"Specific?"

"Yes, about…specific…girl-s…"

"I'm confused, Eomma," Seok-Young said directly.

Jan Di sighed. "Well, for starters, this Gun Mi Na…"

"What about her, Eomma?"

Jan Di garnered her courage. She too was feeling the discomfort. "Do you…like her, Seok-Young?"

Seok-Young shrugged. "Sure, Eomma. She's nice, and she's a good musician and student…"

"That's not what I mean."

Seok-Young nodded. "With all due respect, why do you ask that, Eomma?"

"I'm your mother. I have the right to know, don't I?"

"Yes, Eomma, but…," Seok-Young glanced away. "Do we really have to talk about this?"

"Yes, I think we should."

Jan Di paused to think about the best way to continue. "…This girl…she seems to really like you, and you…shouldn't lead girls on if you don't feel the same way about them…"

Seok-Young nodded. "Yes, of course, Eomma."

"But perhaps you do feel that way…? You two seemed pretty comfortable on the couch…"

Seok-Young looked at Jan Di sheepishly. "I was trying to keep my distance, Eomma… I didn't have any bad intentions, really," Seok-Young assured.

Jan Di nodded. "So, what are your intentions then?" Jan Di felt herself becoming defensive; she was unsure why.

"Well, I, uh…was just rehearsing with her, Eomma..."

"OK, then. But don't you forget how you were raised, young man!" Jan Di wagged a finger at him. Seok-Young nodded emphatically.

Jan Di stood and placed her hands upon her hips. "You just behave yourself now, Yoon Seok-Young… Though you may think so, you're not too old for your eomma to spank!"

Seok-Young's eyes went wide, and he wondered if his mother had suddenly gone crazy.

"But Eomma…," Seok-Young protested, "What did I do? I didn't do anything…"

They had both apparently regressed 5 to 10 years…

"Oh, you don't think you did anything, huh?" Jan Di gave him a stern look. Seok-Young had also risen from his seat and was staring at her helplessly.

"…Well, you…," Jan Di groaned in frustration, and—not knowing what more to say—gave him the clichéd, "Oh, just wait until your father gets home!" and then she stormed off.

Seok-Young stood there staring after where his mother had disappeared. What just happened? Did I miss something…?


Jan Di had just gotten into bed and was reading when Ji Hoo returned home. He walked into the bedroom and pulled off his lab coat.

"And where have you been…?" Jan Di asked, laying her book down in her lap.

Ji Hoo's brow wrinkled. "At work," he replied simply. It should have been obvious. Ji Hoo hung up his lab coat and approached Jan Di in the bed. He leaned downward, "And hello to you, too, Otter," he moved in for a kiss but only managed to get a quick peck from her, for she was clearly upset about something.

Ji Hoo sighed. "I'm sorry I'm late, Jan Di-yah, but there were some complications in surgery…"

"Oh, is everything alright?"

"Yes, it just took much longer than expected..."

Jan Di nodded.

"So, are you still angry with me then? It couldn't have been helped."

"It's not that...," Jan Di wrung her hands, playing with her wedding ring.

"Did I do something else wrong?" Ji Hoo asked, perplexed. He wracked his brain, but he couldn't recall any failure to do something she'd asked of him or any forgotten special occasions.

"Ohh, it's not you," Jan Di sighed, "…It's your son…"

"Seok-Young?"

Jan Di nodded.

"So, he is just my son now? What has Seok-Young done that has caused you to disown him, Otter?"

Jan Di paused and began twisting the covers beneath her fingers. "I'm just concerned for him."

"Concerned about what, Jan Di-yah?" Ji Hoo sat on the edge of the bed and placed a hand over hers. He had planned to get ready for bed, since he had an early day tomorrow, but she seemed to have things on her mind that she needed to discuss.

"Well, he's getting older and liking girls…and well…," Jan Di hemmed and hawed, not sure how best to go about bringing up the matter, "…Well, for one, he was staring pretty hard at Seo Hyun Unnie when she was over..."

Ji Hoo gave a short laugh. "That's nothing to be worried about. Jan Di-yah, he's 15. Of course he's going to stare at a pretty girl. Hopefully he's not too obvious about it, though…"

"He shouldn't be staring at Seo Hyun Unnie like he was…," Jan Di muttered, "…Like father, like son, I suppose…"

"Wow…," Ji Hoo shook his head. "That was a little pointed, Jan Di. Apparently my otter is not playing fair tonight…"

Jan Di said nothing, but childishly threw the covers over her head. And she mumbled a muffled sorry from underneath the covers. Ji Hoo couldn't help but smile at the adolescent nature of Jan Di's actions.

"Jan Di-yah, don't tell me you were jealous of Seo Hyun being over the other night…," Ji Hoo teased.

"That's ridiculous!" Jan Di muttered from beneath the blanket.

"My thoughts exactly…," Ji Hoo spoke, a faint grin crossing his lips.

"I'm not jealous of Seo Hyun Unnie!" she exclaimed. "You know I like Seo Hyun Unnie…"

Jan Di grumbled and shuffled around a bit before growing silent and still once more.

"Then what is it?" he asked.

Jan Di peeked out from underneath the covers. Ji Hoo pulled them back to reveal her face.

"It's not just about him looking at Seo Hyun. Now there is this Gun Mi Na…"

"Gun Mi Na? They've been rehearsing a duet together, right?"

"Well, yes, but she seems to really like him...though, I'm not exactly sure how he feels about her… Ahh! I still remember when he was a little boy and he'd get grossed out by us kissing and swear he'd never like girls…"

Ji Hoo chuckled, "Well, all little boys say that, Jan Di-yah. And they all change their minds when they grow up…"

Jan Di gave a wistful sigh. "I know. He just grew up so fast…"

Ji Hoo her arm tenderly. "I know, my love. And it's hard for me, too, but we have to accept it."

"Ahh, I know, I know... I do want him to be happy, and I'm not against him dating, but I just don't want him to turn into a player or something…"

Ji Hoo laughed out loud. "I really don't think our son is the player type, Otter…"

"I know, I know, Ji Hoo-yah…but, well…aish! Seok-Young just needs to think more of the feelings of others!" Jan Di blurted out.

"What others? Whose feelings are you talking about, Otter?"

"Nevermind!" Jan Di gave an exasperated groan and fell back onto her pillow. She quickly pulled the covers over herself again. Ji Hoo shook his head. Despite the absurdity of it, he found it rather adorable that Jan Di still had a bit of a teenage girl left in her.

"Well, I apologize on behalf of my son for whatever inconsiderate thing he did…," Ji Hoo replied, "And I'll talk to him if you're concerned about something. But you need to give me a bit more information. What is really the problem here, Jan Di?" he asked.

Jan Di was silent beneath the covers, but Ji Hoo could see them rising and falling softly, so at least he knew she was still breathing under there.

"Oh, alright!" Jan Di finally tossed back the covers. She sighed and filled Ji Hoo in on the events of the day and the circumstances with Seok-Young and Eun-Jeong.


Ji Hoo sighed, "Ah, I see," and he pondered what she'd just told him.

"Well, I do feel badly for Eun-Jeong… Does Yi Jeong know about it?" Ji Hoo asked. Jan Di shook her head.

"Well, that's probably a good thing…he'd probably fly off the handle…," Ji Hoo said, "…But don't worry, my love. I'm sure it'll all work out as it's supposed to…"

"I guess…," she muttered.

"…But if it's really bothering you, Otter, I'll have a talk with him tomorrow," Ji Hoo said gently.

Jan Di ventured fully out of her cocoon. She sat up, smiled, and gave Ji Hoo a kiss. "Thank you, honey."

Ji Hoo smiled and nodded. "I'll even warn Seok-Young about staring at women and being a player…," he teased—unable to resist.

"Ya!" Jan Di shoved Ji Hoo, nearly knocking him off the bed. And they both laughed.

But then Jan Di grew serious again. She told Ji Hoo about how she had gotten upset about Eun-Jeong and then about Mi Na and how she had yelled at Seok-Young.

"I feel terrible, Ji Hoo-yah..."

"Don't worry, my love. It'll be fine."

Jan Di nodded. "He's probably sleeping now. I guess I'll just apologize to him in the morning."

Ji Hoo agreed and kissed Jan Di goodnight.


It was nearly midnight and one of those rare nights when Ji Hoo had been unable to sleep well. He slipped out of bed—being cautious not to disturb Jan Di beside him—and wandered into the kitchen for a drink of water. Ji Hoo found Seok-Young there, sitting at the island, also with a glass of water.

"What are you doing up, Son?" Ji Hoo asked.

"Couldn't sleep, Appa…"

Ji Hoo nodded. He got himself a drink and sat down next to Seok-Young.

"Is something on your mind, Son?"

"Ye, Appa…" Seok-Young sighed, "Appa, I think I made a big mistake…," Seok-Young said in a depressing tone.

"What kind of mistake, Son?"

"Well, Appa, you know that girl I like…?"

"Yes…"

Seok-Young wrung his hands lightly. "Well, I basically told her that I just want to be friends…and I hurt her…"

"Ah," Ji Hoo nodded in understanding. "But you don't want to just be friends," Ji Hoo stated the obvious.

Seok-Young stared down at his hands and shook his head. "…I can't stop thinking about her, Appa…"

Ji Hoo smiled faintly and nodded. He knew the feeling…

"…I feel so guilty for hurting her, and I keep thinking about that…but it's more than that…I…" Seok-Young glanced away. He took a gulp of his water.

"What was your reasoning for telling her that you just wanted to be friends, Son?"

Seok-Young gave a sharp exhale. "Well, she's a really close friend of mine, and she has been for a long time… I'm also really close to her best friend…and I just thought that…it would be…complicated… I guess I was overthinking it, and I guess I was a bit…afraid to take that step, Appa…you know from friends to…something more…"

Ji Hoo nodded. It sounded all too familiar to him… "Well, Son, I understand. It sounds like it could very well be a complicated situation, but let me tell you a story… I was also involved in a very complicated situation years ago…"


"I almost lost your mother, Seok-Young...," Ji Hoo said.

Seok-Young looked to his father curiously.

"Your mother and I very nearly didn't end up together…and it was because…I waited too long to express my feelings…"

Seok-Young's brow wrinkled; he stared down at his hands.

Ji Hoo released a heavy-laden breath and continued. "It took me too long to realize my feelings for your eomma, and when I did…it was too late… She was with someone else. So, I let her go…"

Seok-Young's lips parted.

"It was what I felt I needed to do at the time—they were in love with each other—but it was incredibly painful for me… I still remained friends with your eomma, and we were very close. I couldn't stay away from her… I needed to be by her side—and I was content at her side—even though it hurt every day…"

Ji Hoo released his breath.

Seok-Young tightened his mouth. So what his appa had said before about how painful unrequited love is, it had been from personal experience…

Seok-Young wore a concerned look upon his face. Ji Hoo laid a hand upon his son's shoulder.

"It may sound a bit sappy, but your mother saved me, in many ways… Before she came along, I was living a kind of meaningless existence... I was trying to live my life as though I didn't need anyone… I mean, I had my friendship with F4, but that was rather shallow. And I never really let anyone get very close to me, except for Seo Hyun. That was before your eomma. Even despite how strongly I felt for Seo Hyun back then, it was completely different with your eomma… She changed my life, Seok-Young. My life changed—I changed—when your mother came into the picture, for the better. I became more social, more compassionate, and more protective, even…," Ji Hoo smiled, "And I probably would have never reconciled with your great-grandfather if not for her…"

Seok-Young had heard about his father being orphaned at a young age and of him living 15 years of his life—separated from his grandfather—basically alone.

"I don't know if you truly realize how incredible your eomma is, Seok-Young… She is the strongest, bravest, most selfless, most wonderful person I've ever known... When Seo Hyun was going to leave for Paris… Do you know that your eomma begged Seo Hyun—down on her knees—to stay, just to make me happy? And do you know what I did…?"

Seok-Young shook his head.

"I yelled at her. And told her that it was none of her business… I'll never forget the look on her face when I did that…" Ji Hoo's expression saddened.

"You know, your mother always put those she cared about before herself. She always put you and your siblings first… She did everything to make you happy. And I know she would not hesitate to die for any one of you..."

Ji Hoo and Jan Di never wanted Seok-Young to know that she had nearly died for him, in childbirth…

"It took me awhile to realize I was in love with your eomma…and even longer to actually admit it. I tried to let my actions speak because I was afraid to say the words… I suppose I hoped that she would see my love for her and that she would just magically accept it… I suppose I was afraid of being rejected… But sometimes you just have to say what you feel, Seok-Young, just shout it out loud. Even when it's difficult, even if you are rejected… I have long since learned that…"

Ji Hoo gave Seok-Young a faint smile. "For a long time, I thought I'd lost my chance with your eomma forever… But I couldn't be selfish with her Seok-Young. I only cared about her happiness—seeing her smile—and protecting her…that was all that really mattered to me… So I just stayed by her side. Fortunately, I got a second chance to be with her. And I thank my lucky stars every day for that. If I had lost your mother, Son…I would have regretted it for the rest of my life…"

Seok-Young met Ji Hoo's eyes, and Ji Hoo gave him a light pat on the shoulder. "So, I guess the point of this long story is that when you love someone…you should make that known. Put them first, but don't hide from your feelings and don't hold back, or you'll regret it, I promise you…"


Seok-Young was shocked to hear his father's story… It was a rather depressing one and—though it had a happy ending—he definitely did not want to go through what his appa did…

Seok-Young bid Ji Hoo goodnight and went to his room. His appa's story had inspired him, and now he knew what he had to do. He would express his true feelings to Eun-Jeong…

But he obviously needed to make some kind of grand gesture now, after what he'd said to her… He was not so good with words, so Seok-Young decided to go with what he knew best—music. He would write her a song to tell her how he felt…


The Next Morning…

Jan Di was finishing preparing lunches for Seok-Young and Mee-Yon when Seok-Young entered the kitchen. Seok-Young recalled his father's words the night before.

There was a brief awkward pause before Jan Di wiped her hands on her apron and approached Seok-Young. "Seok-Y, I'm…," she gave him a sheepish look, "Sorry...for yesterday. I'm sorry that I yelled at you…can you forgive me?" she held the lunchbox out to him.

Seok-Young revealed his perfect smile, "Of course, Eomma. There's no need to apologize," he said in a bubbly fashion, "Thank you for the lunch! I love you, Eomma!"

"I love you, too Seok-Y…," she replied. And Seok-Young kissed Jan Di's cheek before heading off.

Jan Di blinked a few times. "Hmm, he's in a good mood…"


Later that morning…

Eun-Jeong was walking down the main hall at school with Mee-Yon, trying to cheer her up. Mee-Yon had been rather bummed out lately, too, but she would not say why. Eun-Jeong had a feeling that it had something to do with Park Jung-Ho…

Seok-Young was on the upper level, leaning against the railing and attempting to remain awake. He let out a yawn. Seok-Young hadn't slept, for he had been up all night working on the song. He caught sight of Eun-Jeong and Mee-Yon walking below, and he grew more alert.


A boy approached Eun-Jeong and Mee-Yon. Eun-Jeong had seen him around before. He was in their grade. He was of medium height, with wavy obsidian hair, and his name was Cho Hyun-Joo.

"Good morning, So Eun-Jeong! How are you today?" Hyun-Joo was smiling and had his hands behind his back. Then, he bid good morning to Mee-Yon, who returned the greeting.

"Oh, good morning, Cho Hyun-Joo, right?" Eun-Jeong asked.

He nodded vibrantly, and then he pulled out a flower from behind his back. "That's right, So Eun-Jeong. And this is for you…," he held it out to her, "...I wanted to tell you that…I like you, Eun-Jeong-ah…," he added shyly.

Eun-Jeong blinked wildly and hesitantly took the white lily from Hyun-Joo. She looked from Hyun-Joo to the lovely blossom in her hands. No one had ever given her a flower before, except for Appa…


No, that was incorrect… She suddenly recalled a memory, as she stared down at the snow white bloom…

Seok-Young had given her a flower before… It was when they were young… She, Yeong-Hui, Mee-Yon, and Seok-Young had been playing in a field outside of the So household, and Seok-Young had been picking some wildflowers for his mother. He'd also given one to his sister, to Yeong-Hui, and then he gave one to her…

Eun-Jeong recalled Seok-Young smiling and placing the little yellow bud in her hair for her, just behind her ear. She had beamed brightly and given him a hug.

Oh, it was a completely different scenario—Eun-Jeong knew this—and Seok-Young hadn't only given a flower to her…but somehow, the memory made her want to cry…


Eun-Jeong glanced up and noticed that Seok-Young was on the level above, looking down upon them. Eun-Jeong's lips parted in understanding. Apparently her twin sister was an evil genius… And apparently, she did not listen…

"OK…I get it…," Eun-Jeong gave Hyun-Joo a wink, "You're friends with my sister, right? She sent you, didn't she?"

"Huh? Your twin sister? Well, I know Yeong-Hui, yes, but she didn't send me… What are you talking about?"

Eun-Jeong smirked. She tapped him lightly on the chest with the flower, handing it back to him. "You go back to Yeong-Hui and tell her that I told her before that I wasn't going to go along with her plan, so she should just give up…" Eun-Jeong gave Hyun-Joo a light slap on the arm. He looked thoroughly confused.

"What plan?" Mee-Yon asked, also confused.

"Oh, nothing, Mee-Yon-ah," Eun-Jeong gave a nervous laugh.

"Um, So Eun-Jeong…I really don't know what you're talking about…"

Eun-Jeong blinked a few times. "Really? So, you were…serious…you really like me?"

Hyun-Joo flashed a bright smile. "Of course I really like you, you silly girl…"

Eun-Jeong blushed lightly and glanced away.

Seok-Young was leaning over the railing slightly, watching the scene below and scowling. Eun-Jeong looked up again, and she caught his eye. Seok-Young looked quickly away. Eun-Jeong shook her head. Perhaps Yeong-Hui had been right…


"So, would you like to have lunch with me, Eun-Jeong-ah?" Hyun-Joo asked, stirring Eun-Jeong from her thoughts.

"Um…," Eun-Jeong's eyes shot up to the upper level again. Seok-Young was still there, pretending to focus upon something else. She sighed. And then she looked to Mee-Yon. "Well, I was going to have lunch with my friend…"

"It's OK, Eun-Jeong-ah," Mee-Yon interjected. "You should go!"

Eun-Jeong turned back to Hyun-Joo, who was smiling hopefully.

"Well, OK, sure…," she hesitantly agreed. There was no harm in having lunch, was there?

Eun-Jeong walked off with Hyun-Joo toward the cafeteria.


Seok-Young frowned. He hadn't been able to hear all that was said, but Eun-Jeong had acted shy and then she and that guy had walked off together…

And he had given her a flower… How cliché!

Seok-Young suddenly had this tight feeling in his chest. What was this feeling…? Was it jealousy?


Later that day…

Mee-Yon dove into the Shinwha swimming pool and began doing laps. She always swam when she was frustrated or upset about something.

Mee-Yon was of hardy stock. She was strong and unflappable—like her mother—and even a bit stoic—like her father. But regardless, she was still bothered by the incident with Park Jung-Ho. She'd truly thought he liked her and that he was a nice guy…but he'd shown his true colors…

A girl's first date should be magical, but instead it had been a sheer disappointment…and…heartbreaking… Although, she had to admit that Goo Jun-Seo had salvaged the night a bit for her.

She recalled that night, as she tore through the waters of the pool. It had been…nice…actually. She and Jun-Seo had danced, talked, and laughed, and they didn't fight once all night. He wasn't a bit sarcastic or condescending the entire evening, and he was almost…sweet

Who knew there was such a side to Goo Jun-Seo?

Mee-Yon stopped to catch her breath, and she noticed Seok-Young at the edge of the pool. She hadn't heard his soft, catlike footsteps approaching.

"Oppa!" she called out to him.

Seok-Young waved, but he seemed very somber…


The Next Day…

Twenty-two-year-old Ha-Joon had just arrived outside the Yoon household. He was home for a visit, as he was on break from college.

Ha-Joon was orphaned when his father—his only living parent—had died on Ji Hoo's operating table after being in a car accident. After that, Ji Hoo became invested in the boy's future and had paid for his therapy. Ha-Joon had bonded with Ji Hoo over their mutual histories, and Ji Hoo eventually adopted the boy when his aunt could no longer care for him, and he and Jan Di raised him. Ha-Joon had fallen in love with the Yoon family and they with him.

Ha-Joon was a tall, handsome young man, with short dark hair and expressive eyes, and he had grown a short mustache and goatee.

Mee-Yon caught sight of Ha-Joon approaching through the window, and she rushed outside to meet him. "Ha-Joon Oppa!" she shouted, as she sprinted toward him and crashed into his arms.

"Mee-Yon-ah!" Ha-Joon picked her up and spun her around. After he put her down, he looked her over thoroughly. "Well, you just get more grown-up and more beautiful every time I see you," he grinned at her.

"Oh, Oppa, go on!" Mee-Yon shoved Ha-Joon in the arm.

"I bet the boys go crazy for you, Mee-Yon-ah..."

Her face briefly turned at the reminder of her failed first date, and Ha-Joon looked at her quizzically. Mee-Yon put on a brave face. "Nah, Oppa…," she faintly smiled and waved him off with a hand.

"Well, their loss… I'm sure the guys will be falling all over themselves for you soon enough, Mee-Yon-ah…"

Mee-Yon chuckled.

"And then I think that perhaps Seok-Young and I will have to fend them off."

Mee-Yon smiled appreciatively.

"How is swimming going, Mee-Yon-ah?"

"Good… Really good, actually! I got first place at my first meet!"

"Atta girl!" Ha-Joon gave her a big hug.

Seok-Young ambled over, a wide smile forming upon his face. "Hyung!" he reached out and they clasped hands.

"There he is!" Ha-Joon pulled his adoptive brother in and gave him a noogie. Seok-Young chuckled and shoved Ha-Joon's hand. "Ya! You're messing up my hair…"

Ha-Joon laughed. "So, how are things? Are you still blowing everyone away with your musical ability, Seok-Y?" Ha-Joon teased Seok-Young with Jan Di's affectionate nickname for him—to which Seok-Young smirked.

"I don't know about that, Hyung…," Seok-Young replied, "And only Eomma is allowed to call me Seok-Y."

Ha-Joon chuckled. "Well, I'm your hyung, so you have to respect me and go along with whatever I say…"

Seok-Young laughed. "Yea right…who made up that rule?"

Ha-Joon gave Seok-Young a cautionary glance but then softened. "Well, I suppose I'll let you off the hook this time…," he said.

Seok-Young grinned. "Gomawo, Hyung."


The three walked along together toward the house…

"How is college, Oppa? I bet the college girls just go crazy for my handsome Oppa!" Mee-Yon exclaimed.

Ha-Joon laughed. "Well, I wouldn't say that, Mee-Yon-ah, but…I do have a girlfriend now."

Mee-Yon beamed and clapped her hands together, "Ooo, what's her name? What's she like? Is she going to be a psychiatrist, too? Is she beautiful? I'll bet she is!" Mee-Yon fired questions off rapidly.

Ha-Joon and Seok-Young both laughed. "One question at a time, Mee-Yon-ah…," Ha-Joon pleaded. And then he proceeded to show Mee-Yon and Seok-Young a picture on his phone. Mee-Yon squealed about the girl and Seok-Young nodded in approval.

Mee-Yon linked arms with Ha-Joon and Seok-Young as they walked, and she pulled the two along eagerly.

"What about you, Dongsaeng? Any girls on your radar?"

"Oh, the girls go crazy for Seok-Young Oppa!" Mee-Yon interjected.

"Somehow that doesn't surprise me…," Ha-Joon commented. "So, you have your pick then," he joked.

Seok-Young tightened his mouth, and it was as if a shadow suddenly fell over his face. "…Oh, I don't know, Hyung…," he shrugged and released a short burst of air through his mouth. Ha-Joon studied Seok-Young, with a look of concern.

"We'll talk more later, alright?" Ha Joon said. Seok-Young nodded.


The siblings went inside. Ji Hoo was sitting in his chair reading; he immediately stood when he saw Ha-Joon.

"Hey, Appa!" Ha-Joon smiled widely, and he and Ji Hoo met halfway.

Ji Hoo pulled Ha-Joon into a manly, yet loving hug. "Ha-Joon, it's so good to see you. How's college going, Son?"

"Good, Appa. Just about 100 more years to go until I'm a psychiatrist," Ha-Joon joked.

Ji Hoo gave a short laugh. "I know what you mean. Hang in there, Son," Ji Hoo clapped Ha-Joon on the back. Ji Hoo knew all too well how long medical school took.

"Yeah, once Oppa becomes a psychiatrist he will start charging us money to talk to him," Mee-Yon teased.

Ha-Joon laughed—it wasn't like he hadn't heard the joke before, but it was cute coming from his little sister—and he ruffled Mee-Yon's hair. "Don't worry, I'll talk to you for free, Mee-Yon-ah…"

She smiled.


Jan Di exited from the kitchen. She covered with her hands in excitement. And then Jan Di squealed and rushed to Ha-Joon, wrapping her arms tight around his waist.

"Hello, Eomma," he said with a big smile.

Jan Di gave him another squeeze and then pulled back. "It's been far, far too long Wang Ha-Joon!"

"I agree, Eomma." Ha-Joon placed a kiss upon Jan Di's cheek. "You know, Eomma, you get younger and more beautiful every day… What's your secret?"

Jan Di smirked, "Didn't your Eomma teach you not to fib, Ha-Joon-ah?"

"I'm not fibbing, Eomma!" he chuckled.

"Yeah, Ha-Joon Oppa is dishing out the compliments like crazy today, Eomma," Mee-Yon noted.

They all smiled.

"It's because I missed all of you. And besides, it's all true," Ha-Joon replied.

An hour later, the Yoons all sat down to dinner.

"Oh, I heard that Dr. Jang and Dr. Baek got remarried," Ha-Joon commented to his parents, as they sat eating and chatting around the table.

"Yes, it's so great," Jan Di replied, and Ji Hoo nodded. They were all pleased that the two were so happy now.


That evening, Seok-Young lay in bed, attempting to work on Eun-Jeong's song…

When he began it, he had simply thought of Eun-Jeong, and the music began to flow… But now, he felt stuck… Usually he could see the music, but right now…nothing! Seok-Young groaned in frustration and fell back onto his pillow. He couldn't confess his feelings to Eun-Jeong until the song was ready…and absolutely perfect


The following afternoon…

Jan Di was at swim practice, coaching the girls on a different to increase their speed. Coach Park approached and stood beside Jan Di. He folded his arms and cleared his throat. "So, I'm sorry that it didn't work out between Mee-Yon and Jung-Ho..."

"Oh, well no need to be sorry, Coach Park. Sometimes things just don't work out…," Jan Di said, still facing the water.

He nodded. "Well, my son is an idiot."

Jan Di looked to Coach Park curiously.

"Letting a great girl like Mee-Yon go…," he added.

Jan Di's brow furrowed. "Letting her go? What exactly happened with that anyway, Coach Park?" Jan Di felt herself becoming defensive, but she worked to temper it, "Mee-Yon talked like it was kind of mutual, but she didn't say much about it… Did Jung-Ho say anything?"

Jan Di had to admit that she'd been very concerned about Mee-Yon. Mee-Yon had been so excited about the dance, but when she came home that night she was very quiet... Jan Di had to practically drag information out of her about the event, and Mee-Yon had simply said that she and Park Jung-Ho had a nice time but decided not to go out again. And she wouldn't go into detail on the matter. Jan Di had had this gnawing feeling in her gut ever since that night… She had the feeling that something bad had happened…

Coach Park shoved his hands into the pockets of his warm-up pants. "Oh, I don't know what happened really... Jung-Ho didn't say much either, but then again, he usually doesn't… He just said that it didn't work out."

"So, why do you assume that he let her go…?" Jan Di glanced away, realizing her tone had been slightly more hostile than she intended…" Jan Di was quickly spiraling into protective mother mode.

Coach Park sighed and held up his hands. "Now, Jan Di, don't misunderstand me… It's just that my son doesn't have the best track record with girls…he's not known for having long relationships…"

Jan Di frowned. "So, what are you saying exactly, Coach Park? That your son dates around a lot…? And you let him go out with my daughter?"

"Well, with all due respect Jan Di, you and your husband agreed to it, too."

Jan Di scoffed. "Well, we didn't know about that… And I had to practically beg Ji Hoo to let her go. You're lucky my husband didn't know about that…," she said, tightening her jaw.

Coach Park sighed and was silent for a moment.

Jan Di suddenly had the irresistible urge to push Coach Park into the pool, but she managed to control it somehow…

"I don't really get involved much in my son's love life, and he's a good boy, really… He just doesn't seem to have much luck with women…"

Coach Park shifted uncomfortably and looked toward the girls. "Two more laps, and then you're done, girls!" he called out, and then he turned back to Jan Di.

"Let's go elsewhere and talk…," he suggested, taking Jan Di aside and leading her toward his office.


"Jan Di-yah…," Coach Park spoke quietly, once they were out of earshot. "You know I think a lot of Mee-Yon. And I don't want this thing between the kids to cause problems between us…," he put a hand on her forearm. She stared down at it for a split second before backing away. Coach Park's hand fell to his side.

Jan Di's forehead wrinkled slightly. "Us? What do you mean?"

"Well, you know what I mean… We're friends, right? And we have a working relationship… Look, I like you Geum Jan Di, so let's not argue. Let's just drop this whole thing…"

Jan Di stared at him, frowning.

Just then, they saw Mee-Yon approach them.

"How was that, Coach Park…Eomma?" Mee-Yon asked, panting faintly and drying her hair with a towel.

"You were awesome, Yoon Mee-Yon!" Coach Park exclaimed, clapping her on the arm.

"Yes, great job, Mee-Yon-ah!" Jan Di added with a wide smile. Mee-Yon returned the smile. "Thanks, Coach Park, Eomma."

Then, Mee-Yon glanced across the natatorium. She seemed to notice something, and she frowned. Jan Di followed Mee-Yon's eyes to Park Jung-Ho, who had entered the pool area and was also heading toward them.

Mee-Yon shifted uncomfortably and glanced away. "Well, I'm…going to go get changed…," Mee-Yon said quickly, and she rushed off. Jan Di watched Mee-Yon walk off toward the girls' locker room, with a concerned look.

Jan Di's eyes then turned to Jung-Ho, who was watching Mee-Yon. After she entered the locker room Jung-Ho began to make his way over to where Jan Di and his father stood. Jan Di scowled faintly and felt the sudden urge to also push that little punk into the pool. But she certainly could not do that…

"I need to be going, too," Jan Di said, and she walked off toward the locker rooms to wait for Mee-Yon.


Jan Di planned to get to the bottom of this; she needed to… Why had Mee-Yon gotten so incredibly uncomfortable when she saw Jung-Ho? It didn't add up. If things had ended amicably, as Mee-Yon had said, then why did she act that way…? Something had happened; she was sure of it.

And then there was Coach Park's behavior…


Later that afternoon…

Seok-Young passed Park Jung-Ho in the hall. Jung-Ho had two friends with him. "Hey, Yoon Seok-Young!" Park Jung-Ho called out.

"Yes?" Seok-Young turned back, and Jung-Ho approached coolly.

"How's your sister doing?" he asked, with a grin.

"She's…fine," he replied, straight-faced, "I'm sorry things didn't work out between you two…" Although, he only said so out of politeness—he truly wasn't sorry. Seok-Young gave a short bow and began to walk away.

Apparently Seok-Young didn't know about the incident, Jung-Ho assumed…

Jung-Ho glared after Seok-Young. "That's good…," he called out to him, "And what about your mom?"

Seok-Young turned back again. "She's fine, also. But why are you curious about how my mother is doing?"

"No reason," he shrugged.

"O-K…well, then…" Seok-Young again turned to leave.

"But she should stay away from my dad!" Jung-Ho shouted after Seok-Young.

Seok-Young spun around. "What the hell does that mean?"

"Oh, well it's just that she seems to be awfully friendly with my dad…"

Seok-Young scoffed. "My mom isn't interested in your dad. They just coach the swim team together…"

"Well, everyone here knows your mom's reputation…"

Seok-Young approached Jung-Ho menacingly. "What the hell are you talking about…?" he demanded in a low, cautionary tone. Seok-Young was quickly becoming livid, and his adrenaline began to pump.

"Oh, well you know…a commoner, going from one rich guy to the next...," Jung-Ho smirked.

"What did you just say?!" Seok-Young snarled. He got in Jung-Ho's face slightly.

"You heard me, Pretty Boy… What are you going to do about it, Mr. Perfect? Hit me with your violin?"

"I wouldn't damage it on the likes of you…," Seok-Young growled, "Now, you take that back...," he demanded through gritted teeth.

Jung-Ho scoffed. "I would…if it wasn't true…but your mom is just a gold-digging …"

Seok-Young immediately grasped onto Jung-Ho's collar and slammed him against the far wall. "You SHUT YOUR FILTHY MOUTH about my mother!" he seethed.

Jung-Ho smirked. "Temper, temper, Yoon Seok-Young…"

Seok-Young shoved Jung-Ho. "I won't tell you again… You take it back, RIGHT NOW!"

Jung-Ho scoffed and ignored Seok-Young's demand. "Oh yeah, and your sister…well, she's such a prude… Don't even get me started on that little …" Jung-Ho turned to his friends, who were both laughing.

"You bastard…," Seok-Young reared back and swiftly delivered a powerful blow to Jung-Ho's face, dropping him instantly.

By now, a crowd had gathered, and Jun-Seo, Il-Hun, and Jae-Jin were in the front. Eun-Jeong arrived seconds later and watched the scene with a troubled look upon her face.

"DON'T YOU EVER SAY A WORD AGAINST MY FAMILY AGAIN, YOU BASTARD! Or, SO HELP ME…!"

Jung-Ho stared up at Seok-Young, with a look of pure shock at the fact that he had actually laid a hand upon him.

"And I'll have you know…," Seok-Young spoke more calmly this time, yet firmly, "My mother is an amazing person, and she and my father are extremely happy together…and my sister is far too good for the likes of you! So, stay away from her!" Seok-Young glared down at Park Jung-Ho.


Jun-Seo, Il-Hun, and Jae-Jin approached and stood next to Seok-Young. Jae-Jin and Il-Hun each put a hand on Seok-Young's shoulder. And F4 stared down menacingly at Park Jung-Ho…

Seok-Young glared for a moment longer before turning from Jung-Ho and walking off, breaking F2's grip. F3 followed him, commenting on how Seok-Young was awesome and—in general—offering their support and approval.

But Seok-Young hung his head. Jun-Seo caught up and clapped Seok-Young on the back. "You did the right thing, Hyung. The things he was saying… That deserved it, no even worse… In fact, if you hadn't done it, I would have. And also we have to make sure he stays away from our Mee-Yon…"

Seok-Young stopped and looked at Jun-Seo curiously.

"There's something I need to tell you about, Hyung," Jun-Seo began, "Mee-Yon made me promise not to, but I think you should know… It's about the night of the dance…"

Seok-Young's brow furrowed. "What happened?" Seok-Young demanded, giving a look of pure concern. But Jun-Seo was not able to finish speaking.


By now, several teachers had arrived. One was helping up Jung-Ho, and the other approached Seok-Young. "Yoon Seok-Young, would you come with me, please?" the teacher asked. Seok-Young looked to Jun-Seo—feeling very preoccupied and upset that he would have to wait to hear what Jun-Seo had to say—but then nodded to the teacher and allowed him to lead him toward the principal's office. Park Jung-Ho was also led away.

Seok-Young noticed Eun-Jeong standing nearby; she wore a distressed expression. Their eyes locked briefly as he passed her. Seok-Young hung his head in shame, as he was escorted away.


Seok-Young sat in the principal's office on a large red leather couch, wringing his hands. He'd been waiting for nearly 20 minutes for the principal to arrive. The door finally opened, and to his shock, Joon Pyo entered.

Seok-Young stood immediately, "Oh, annyeong, Uncle Jun Pyo," and he bowed to Joon Pyo.

"I'm not your uncle right now, Yoon Seok-Young…," Joon Pyo replied, "You're in trouble. Have a seat."

"Yes, sir…," Seok-Young nodded. He sat down and lowered his head slightly.

Joon Pyo studied Seok-Young, who couldn't seem to make eye contact with him. And then Joon Pyo began to pace around the room.

"Well, I never thought I'd see the day when Yoon Seok-Young would be in the principal's office…" Joon Pyo stopped and turned back to Seok-Young. "When I heard it was you, I had to come handle this myself..." Joon Pyo stuck his hands into the pockets of his pinstripe slacks. "Is it true that you punched Park Jung-Ho in the face?"

"Yes, sir," Seok-Young replied, keeping his head low.

Joon Pyo rubbed his chin. "Well, apparently you got your mother's temper… Did you know she kicked me in the face once?"

"Really?" Seok-Young looked up at Joon Pyo incredulously.

Joon Pyo nodded. "Yes. Flying Spin Kick straight to my face, right in front of your appa and your uncles Yi Jeong and Woo Bin, too."

Seok-Young's mouth hung open slightly.

"I suppose I deserved it, though."

"What did you do, Uncle Joon Pyo…um, sir?"

"Well, I spread a rumor about her…"

"A rumor? What was it?"

"Nevermind that, Yoon Seok-Young. Let's just say I wasn't very nice to your eomma when I first met her. But she didn't let me get away with it," Joon Pyo chuckled, "She helped me to see the error of my ways, I guess… It's partially because of your eomma that I turned into the great man I am today," Joon Pyo smirked at Seok-Young.

Seok-Young smiled. Despite Uncle Joon Pyo's bravado, he could tell there was a tender sincerity behind that. Uncle Joon Pyo had always seemed to care a great deal for his eomma.

Joon Pyo switched gears. "Well, I received a call from Park Jung-Ho's mother, and she is very angry. She wants me to suspend you…"

Seok-Young's brow wrinkled and he squeezed his hands.

"But no one tells the great Goo Joon Pyo how to run his school. I'm sure I could get you off easy with an apology."

"I can't apologize, sir," Seok-Young responded immediately. "I won't. He deserved it…," Seok-Young muttered, practically under his breath.

Jun Pyo scoffed. "You're stubborn like your mother, too… So, what did he do to deserve it, Yoon Seok-Young?"

"Well, he…" Seok-Young squeezed his hands tightly, feeling the rage return, "…Insulted my mother and sister."

Joon Pyo's lips parted. "I see," Joon Pyo took a seat behind the expansive desk. "And what did he say?"

Seok-Young felt himself trembling in fury all over again. He hated to even think of it, let alone repeat it. "He…called my mother a…gold-digging …and my sister…a and a prude…," Seok-Young clenched his jaw.

Joon Pyo felt anger swell within his own chest. "I see…" Joon Pyo rose from his desk and stared out the window onto the courtyard, clenching his fists at his side.

"Please don't make me apologize to him, sir… I just can't! Suspend me if you want…"

Jun Pyo turned to look at Seok-Young over his shoulder and grinned. "Yes, you certainly are stubborn…"

"I had to do something, sir! I had to stand up for their honor..."

Joon Pyo nodded. "Well, I do agree with you that the boy deserved it, and you did the right thing to stand up for them."

Seok-Young nodded. "Kamsahamnida, sir," and he was silent again.

Joon Pyo promised to handle the situation properly, and then Ji Hoo arrived. At Joon Pyo's suggestion, Ji Hoo took Seok-Young home for the day to calm down.


As the two left, Jun-Seo arrived and asked to see his father. Jun Pyo led him in.

"Appa, I need to tell you about something…," Jun-Seo said.


On the drive home, Seok-Young explained what happened to Ji Hoo. Ji Hoo's lips parted. He clenched his jaw and gripped the steering wheel tighter.

"I'm sorry, Appa… I lost control… But I had to stick up for Eomma and Mee-Yon… I suppose I'm grounded, Appa?"

Ji Hoo released a sigh. "No, Son. You're not grounded. Even though I don't approve of you hitting, I'm proud of you…for standing up for your mom and sister like that…"

Ji Hoo turned to Seok-Young and smiled faintly at him. Seok-Young returned with a subtle smile of his own.

"So, are you hungry, Son?"

"A little bit…"

"Let's go eat, Son," Ji Hoo said.

Seok-Young nodded. "OK, Appa."

Seok-Young stared down at his hands, squeezing them. His knuckle had a small cut on it from the punch he'd delivered.

"Something else wrong, Son?"

"Well, I'm worried, Appa…before I was taken to the principal's office Jun-Seo said he needed to tell me something about the night of the dance…something that Mee-Yon made him promise not to tell… I need to ask him about it…"

Ji Hoo and Seok-Young exchanged a worried look. Seok-Young recalled the Jun-Seo had asked to speak to his father prior to their leaving, and he wondered if Jun-Seo was going to tell his appa what he'd wanted to tell him, or something about the incident with Park Jung-Ho perhaps…

"I wonder what Jun-Seo was going to tell Uncle Joon Pyo… Maybe you could talk to Uncle Jun Pyo, Appa?" Seok-Young asked.

Ji Hoo nodded. "Yes, I plan to, Son."


The next day…

Eun-Jeong and Yeong-Hui were walking together in the hall and talking. Hyun-Joo approached and went up to Yeong-Hui. "Annyeong, Eun-Jeong-ah!" he smiled brightly and placed his hands upon her arms. Yeong-Hui stared back at him, blinking.

He didn't know which one I was… Eun-Jeong thought to herself. But it didn't really bother her as much as perhaps it should have…

Eun-Jeong opened to politely correct Hyun-Joo, but before she could say anything, the voice of Seok-Young came from across the hall. "Forgive me, but I think you're mistaken…"

Seok-Young walked up and stood before the three of them. "That's So Eun-Jeong there…," Seok-Young pointed to Eun-Jeong.

"Ohh…um…," Cho Hyun-Joo appeared embarrassed, "Kamsahamnida, Sunbae…," he bowed before Seok-Young and then released Yeong-Hui's arms. He turned back to Eun-Jeong.

"Mianhae, Eun-Jeong-ah…I'm so sorry...," he gave her a sheepish look and bowed deeply before her.

"It's OK…," she replied, and then she met Seok-Young's eyes. She stared at him, and he tightened his mouth.

"Well, glad I could clear that up...," Seok-Young said abruptly, and then he turned to walk off.

Eun-Jeong clenched her fists at her sides and her eyes narrowed. She felt humiliated and furious...

She watched Seok-Young walk away for a moment, growing angrier and angrier with each step he took. She couldn't let him get away with that, so she rushed off after him. Hyun-Joo frowned, as he and Yeong-Hui watched her go.


Eun-Jeong caught up to Seok-Young and grabbed him by the crook of the arm, turning him nearly 180 degrees. His eyes widened in surprise.

"What was that all about? What did you think you were doing?!" she demanded.

Seok-Young took a step forward and faced Eun-Jeong. "What do you mean? He made a mistake, so I corrected him," Seok-Young replied bluntly.

"You were very rude…"

"I didn't think I was being rude. I simply told him which one you were. He should know which one the girl he likes is…"

Eun-Jeong groaned. "You embarrassed him and me! And it was none of your business, anyway!" Eun-Jeong's chest began to rise and fall heavily, and she felt a swell of conflicting emotions rising within her.

Seok-Young also felt a surge of emotions rushing through him… Whenever he saw that guy near Eun-Jeong he felt suddenly out of control… And he had been unable to restrain himself from going over there…

"I'm sorry for the embarrassment," Seok-Young said directly, "And you're right. It wasn't any of my business, and I am sorry to in, but I…," Seok-Young released a short burst of air through his nose, "…wanted to make sure you weren't fooling guys again…"

Eun-Jeong gaped at him, unable to believe he'd just said such a thing. She raised a hand and gave Seok-Young a not-so-light slap across the face, leaving a red mark.

Seok-Young put a hand to his cheek and stared at Eun-Jeong in disbelief. She was glaring back at him—looking very angry, yet more hurt than anything…

Seok-Young sighed, defeated. He tucked his hands sheepishly into his pockets, and he softened. "I'm… I'm very sorry, Eun-Jeong...," he said, without making eye contact, "…That was out of line…I just…"

"Save it, Oppa!" she snapped. "I don't want to hear it!" and Eun-Jeong turned and walked off on him, leaving Seok-Young standing there, rooted to the spot and staring after her.

To Be Concluded…


A/N: Thoughts? I hope this was not too long, and I hope the conversations were not too excessive… I know there was a LOT of talking in this, but I did try to balance out the dialogue with the events/actions and descriptions. I felt some of the conversations were important and/or interesting, though. Hopefully you guys agree. But anyway, thanks for reading everyone! Sorry for all the curse words… Jung-Ho is a huge jerk, lol. And hopefully no one minded the "violence," lol.

And when I say concluded, I mean the Sparks arc, not the whole story.