Star-Crossed Lovers Pt II

Like the Lotus: The Next Generation

Mee-Yon noticed Seok-Young and Eun-Jeong stepping through a door at school that—she believed—led to an outdoor balcony. She was curious about where they were going, so she followed them. When she cracked open the door, she was shocked—no, more than shocked, more like…dumbfounded—to discover Seok-Young and Eun-Jeong kissing!

Mee-Yon simply stared for a moment in disbelief until they noticed her, and then—not knowing what else to do—she took off running, back the way she came.

Mee-Yon sprinted down the long, empty corridor of Shinwha as fast as her legs could carry her—which, consequently, was pretty fast; she could do 1.6 km in just over 6 minutes, after all. And all the while, her head was spinning…

Seok-Young and Eun-Jeong? What?! My brother and my best friend?! How could this be? When did this happen?!

And what was more, why had they kept it from her?

Mee-Yon wasn't quite sure what she was feeling right now, perhaps because she was feeling so many things… The most notable of those was an inexplicable hurt, a sense of betrayal even… How could they hide this from her?

It was so…strange… For some reason, Mee-Yon couldn't begin to wrap her mind around it. Why was that? She wondered.

Mee-Yon had absolutely no idea that something like this could be going on between them—and how long had it been going on behind her back, for that matter?

But then again, when Mee-Yon really stopped to think about it, there had been signs, hadn't there? For weeks now, Eun-Jeong had been acting strangely. And her weirdness always got worse when Seok-Young was around, Mee-Yon now recalled. Eun-Jeong would be awkward around him, or they'd talk more than usual or share some inside joke… There were also a few secret smiles and flirtatious glances that she'd noticed between the two of them—that, upon recollection, clearly meant more than what they seemed to at the time. And then there was Eun-Jeong's emotional serenade of Seok-Young at the sleepover... But Mee-Yon had dismissed all of that. It hadn't even presented itself as a possibility to her mind…

But it was all so clear now! Mee-Yon knew her brother and her best friend well—or so she thought—but somehow she had missed this. And she felt like a complete and utter fool…


Mee-Yon ran, giving off quick, short puffs of air in the process. She turned to look back over her shoulder only when she heard her name being shouted.

It was Eun-Jeong calling out to her, and she stopped to allow her to catch up. Mee-Yon stood stock-still in the middle of the Shinwha courtyard, her back to her pursuer.

A moment later, Eun-Jeong arrived, gasping for air. "Mee-Yon-ah…wow," she panted, "…I knew you were fast, but…wow…" Eun-Jeong hunched over slightly and clutched at her stomach. For, it had suddenly cramped up from running as fast as she possibly could in feeble attempt at catching her speedy friend.

Mee-Yon slowly turned around to face Eun-Jeong, a somber expression upon her face. And she immediately looked away. "Are you alright?" Mee-Yon mumbled.

"Ye...yes," Eun-Jeong stood up, still working to steady her rampant breathing.

"Good," Mee-Yon said, avoiding eye-contact. "I…have to go now…," she muttered, as she grasped onto her backpack strap. And she prepared to take off again, as a sprinter ready to explode from the starting block.

"Wait!" Eun-Jeong reached out her hand. "Mee-Yon-ah, please don't go! Please just listen to me!"

Mee-Yon only got a few steps before stopping. She turned around and met her best friend's eyes—eyes that were pleading with her, as were her clasped hands.

Mee-Yon folded her arms and pressed her lips together. "OK, I'm listening… What is it?" she asked, in a slightly frosty tone.

"Mee-Yon-ah, mianhae… I know you must be confused and upset by all this, and I'm really sorry! I know I owe you an explanation…"

Mee-Yon exhaled and clenched her jaw, "So, you and my oppa, huh?"

Eun-Jeong in a breath and nodded. "Yes. We…like each other…a lot…"

"When did this happen? How did this even happen?" Mee-Yon suddenly blurted out. "I didn't even know you liked each other in that way…" Mee Yon glanced to the side, as she fought back tears that she was confused and ashamed by.

"Well, I…started to feel...this way…," Eun-Jeong glanced down shyly at her feet, "…for Seok-Young Oppa the day he came back from the musical academy…"

"Since then?!" Mee-Yon asked, incredulous.

"Yes," Eun-Jeong nodded. "It took me weeks to work up the courage to tell him, and when I did…," she hung her head, "he told me that we shouldn't date and that I was like a sister to him…"

Mee-Yon's brow wrinkled. "Was that when you were all depressed?"

Eun-Jeong continued to stare at her feet; she gave a small nod. And Mee-Yon tightened her lips, as she recalled her friend's pain.

In a deluge, Eun-Jeong spilled her guts to Mee-Yon, telling her everything—of the drama with Hyun-Joo and of Seok-Young's jealousy, as well as her own jealousy over Gun Mi Na, of learning to play guitar for Seok-Young, and of falling from the tree while hiding from Seok-Young and Mi Na.

Mee-Yon turned her head and released a short exhale. "Wow…" It was the only word she could summon at the moment. Mee-Yon grew silent for a few seconds before asking, "Are you two dating then?"

"Well, not exactly. We want to, but Oppa has to go to my appa for permission… What you saw was our second kiss. The day Byeong-Ho and Jong-Su were born…that was the day that Seok-Young told me that he wanted to be with me and…he kissed me…" Eun-Jeong couldn't help but flush at the thought—that memory always did things to her—but she kept her reaction in check. For, at the time, she was far more concerned with what was going on inside Mee-Yon's head.

Mee-Yon nodded slowly, as she stared out into space—processing it all.

Eun-Jeong reached out tentatively for Mee-Yon and placed a hand upon her sturdy shoulder. But Mee-Yon flinched, as if bitten, and took a few steps back. And the hurt was splashed upon Eun-Jeong's face.

"What are you thinking right now, Mee-Yon-ah?" she asked worriedly. "How do you feel about all this?" Eun-Jeong took a hesitant step forward, but Mee-Yon held up her hands to keep her at bay. And Eun-Jeong stopped dead in her tracks.

"I don't know. I'm…thinking and feeling a lot of things right now… I just…can't…believe it…," she murmured, dazed.

Finally, Mee-Yon looked her in the eyes, and Eun-Jeong attempted to read her expression. Mee-Yon's typically warm eyes were turbulent, like a stormy night. "So, all this time you've just been lying to me…?" Mee-Yon muttered painfully.

"No!" Eun-Jeong squeezed her hands together. "…It wasn't like that exactly, Mee-Yon-ah… We didn't intend to lie or keep secrets… It was just a…sensitive situation, I guess. And we were just worried about how everyone would react to it. We didn't know if everyone would understand…"

"Even me? You couldn't even trust me to understand, your best friend?" Mee-Yon felt her chest aching at the thought that Eun-Jeong couldn't confide in her about something like this.

Eun-Jeong stared down at her feet and kicked the dirt. "Mianhae…," she muttered sorrowfully.

Mee-Yon released a heavy sigh.

"I know this is a lot to take in, Mee-Yon-ah. And I'm so sorry for not telling you and for the way you had to find out… I wish I could go back and—"

"Just stop!" Mee-Yon shouted, cutting her off.

Eun-Jeong's eyes went wide and dropped open at hearing Mee-Yon's sudden harsh tone. And she froze.

Warm tears began to well up at the corners of Eun-Jeong's eyes. "Mee-Yon-ah…"

"No, no more, So Eun-Jeong! I don't want to hear any more excuses! …You…you shouldn't have kept this from me…," she muttered. And she shook her head and turned away from Eun-Jeong—unable to take the sight of her right now.

The tears that had been emerging from Eun-Jeong's eyes began to slip free in small dribbles down each side of her face.

"Mee-Yon-ah, please…," Eun-Jeong begged. And she reached out for Mee-Yon, but Mee-Yon shook her hand off and shot her a death glare.

And then Mee-Yon took off, casting a "Don't follow me!" back over her shoulder.

Mee-Yon had been keeping her tears at bay so far, but as she ran off on Eun-Jeong, her eyes suddenly misted over. She felt horrible, and she darted straight for the swimming pool.


Twenty Minutes Later…

Mee-Yon tore through the Shinwha pool as though she wanted to—and could, actually—physically harm the water. She was currently experiencing the fog that came over her sometimes when she took to the water, when she could only see the goal ahead and feel the cool liquid beneath her. The water, it was a substance that she simultaneously loved, yet also stood between her and the finish line.

Uncle Joon Pyo called this phenomenon her warrior haze—and it always took over when Mee-Yon was in competition, or when she needed to escape from the trials of life…

She'd also sought refuge in the water the day after the incident with Park Jung-Ho. Even with Jun-Seo's distraction—and the nice evening they'd had—Mee-Yon had still been broken-hearted over Jung-Ho. And she didn't want to think or feel; she just wanted to do…

The water was always cathartic for Yoon Mee-Yon, and as soon as she sank beneath its surface, she instantly felt her troubles draining away…

But inevitably—when she swam—thoughts would intrude. However, her dear friend—the water—was always helpful in working through her problems.

Now, thoughts of Eun-Jeong and Seok-Young came to her—predominantly, how and why they'd kept their relationship hidden from her for so long. That was the worst part for Mee-Yon, or so she was telling herself…

And she only got madder and madder the more she thought about it…

The rush she was currently feeling could also have something to do with her temper nearing its boiling point. She did have kind of a bad one, Mee-Yon acknowledged. Her appa had about her temper once, saying that it rivaled her eomma's. He'd only been joking, but he was right. Mee-Yon had a temper—and kind of a bad one… Though her fuse was long and slow to ignite, when it did…KABOOM!

As her adrenaline high wore off, she began to see things more clearly—and her confusion dissipated like a morning mist…

And Mee-Yon realized that perhaps she had flown off the handle… Perhaps she had been unfair to Eun-Jeong… After all, when she really thought about it, this was silly, wasn't it? Why should she be so upset over this?

Mee-Yon approached the edge of the pool after—she didn't know how many—laps, and she saw someone approach. She pulled off her goggles and rested them atop her head.

"So here you are," Seok-Young said, as he kneeled, extending his hand out to her.

She tightened her lips and hesitated—frowning slightly—as she kept her hands upon the edge of the pool.

When she did not take his hand, Seok-Young sighed and rested it upon his knee.

"How did you find me, Oppa?" Mee-Yon asked, annoyed. She looked up but didn't make direct eye-contact with him.

"Well, that was easy. You always swim when you're frustrated… After you rushed off like that, and after hearing about your talk with Eun-Jeong, I knew you'd come here."

Mee-Yon gave a subtle raise of her eyes and pushed hard against the edge of the pool with both hands. "Of course you'd hear about that…," she mumbled.

Seok-Young tightened his jaw. "Come on, Little One, don't be this way… Aren't you a bit old for a tantrum?"

Mee-Yon scowled at Seok-Young. "What do you want, Oppa?" she asked rather coldly—still feeling too proud to let go of her anger.

"I want to talk to you about what happened."

Mee-Yon shook her head. "There's not really anything to talk about, is there?"

"I think there is," he bluntly replied. "You're clearly upset about this…"

Mee-Yon looked away and was silent.

"Mee-Yon-ah, I know that you were shocked to see what you did—"

"Shocked? Well, yes, Oppa. I was shocked to walk in on you making out with my best friend…," she muttered sarcastically.

Seok-Young gave a sharp exhale in response, blowing his wispy bangs in the process. "Oh, Mee-Yon-ah, it was just a kiss. Don't be so dramatic…"

Mee-Yon puffed out her cheeks and sputtered out a burst of air. "I just can't believe that you two kept this from me, my best friend…and you, Oppa!" she blurted out. Realizing she'd let her temper get the best of her again, Mee-Yon took a deep, calming breath.

"I know that we hurt you," Seok-Young replied sorrowfully. "It was not our intention. And I want you to know we are very sorry…"

Mee-Yon nodded and continued in a softer tone. "I know you didn't mean to. But we used to talk about everything, and now you're keeping secrets from me, Oppa… What happened to us?" she hung her head.

"Mee-Yon-ah, it was just hard for me to say to anyone… I'm new at this—you know I've never really cared much about dating… And I was afraid of what the others would think of this situation. I was afraid they wouldn't understand and that it would cause problems…like it is now… Only a couple of people know… Appa knows about it because he figured it out, same with Yeong-Hui. And then Aunt Ga Eul knows…"

"But why didn't you tell me, Oppa? Did you think I wouldn't understand? Why would I not understand that you like someone?"

"It's not that I didn't think you would understand. I guess it's just a…sensitive subject…"

"…That's what Eun-Jeong said, and I get that, but…," Mee-Yon looked away, as her lip trembled and her tears began to pool.

"What, Mee-Yon-ah? What is it? Tell me…," he gently demanded.

Mee-Yon exhaled sharply. "I don't know… I just feel like we're not as close anymore, Oppa… I feel like…I'm losing you or something…," she scoffed and splashed the water in frustration. "I guess that's really stupid, huh?"

"Oh, Little One, you could never lose me. And I'm sorry you feel that way, but nothing has changed. Even if I am dating someone, you and I will always be close. You know that you're my Number-One girl."

"Not anymore," Mee-Yon muttered, dejected.

"Don't say that. You are and you always will be. You are my blood, and not to mention, my best friend. And you know how blood is thicker than water…"

"Eh?"

Seok-Young chuckled. "Oh, it's a saying. It just means that there is no stronger bond than that of family."

Mee-Yon smiled faintly.

"No one can break the bond we have, Mee-Yon-ah, and you know that Eun-Jeong would never want that. She would never try to come between us, and I would never come between you and her either."

Seok-Young gave Mee-Yon a tender smile and—with hope—held his hand out to her again. "So, do you feel better now?"

She wore a smug expression, beneath lowered eyelids. "Almost…," she replied. The corners of Mee-Yon's lips twitched into a devious smirk, and she splashed him.

"Ya! Mee-Yon-ah!" Seok-Young quickly moved back, but not before she had completely soaked his cream-colored shirt.

Mee-Yon gave a boisterous laugh. "Mianhae, Oppa! I couldn't resist! Now I feel better."

Seok-Young smirked at her and held his hand out again. This time she took it, and he helped her out of the pool. Mee-Yon went for the towel she'd draped across a pool chair. She tossed it to Seok-Young and then fetched another for herself. She toweled herself off and went to stand before her brother.

"Mianhae, Oppa…," Mee-Yon bowed her head before Seok-Young, as he dried himself off. "I know that I could never lose you. I don't know why I got so crazy… I guess I was just a bit…jealous…and afraid…that I would lose, well, both of you, really…"

Seok-Young finished dabbing himself with the towel. He folded it neatly and placed it on the pool chair. Then, he laid a hand upon Mee-Yon's arm—that prickled from being in the cool air after the swim. Seok-Young rubbed it lightly for her. "It's OK, Little One. I understand. So, do you forgive me? Friends again?"

Mee-Yon smiled. "Of course, Oppa."

And he pulled her into a hug. Mee-Yon returned the hug briefly, and then pulled back.

She suddenly felt a deep pit of regret within her stomach for the way she'd acted. "Oh, but I was so horrible to you and Eun-Jeong!" She clasped her hands together and began emphatically bowing, "Can you ever forgive me, Oppa?"

"Of course I can, Little One."

Mee-Yon sighed. "Gomawo, Oppa. You…know how much I care about you, and you know that I just want you to be happy, right? Eun-Jeong-ah, too…"

"I know, Mee-Yon-ah. You're one of the most caring people I know."

Mee-Yon smiled faintly, but then her face immediately soured. "I guess I better apologize to Eun-Jeong, too… I was really mean to her, and I feel horrible…," Mee-Yon hung her head. "Eun-Jeong-ah must be so angry with me…"

"No, she's not. She is upset, sad mostly…and worried sick that you're going to hate her forever."

"I could never hate her…"

"I know that, but Eun-Jeong doesn't. I think you should talk to her and work it out."

Mee-Yon nodded resolutely. "I will. Gomawo, Oppa."

"Good." Seok-Young sighed in relief. "Well, now that that's settled, I have a bigger task at hand," and he placed his hands upon his hips.

"What, Oppa?"

"I have to talk to Uncle Yi Jeong about it."

"Ooo yeah…," Mee-Yon cringed. She chuckled nervously and clapped Seok-Young on the back. "Good luck, Oppa!"

"You don't instill me with confidence, Little One," Seok-Young smirked.

Mee-Yon gave him a sheepish grin. "Mianhae, Oppa," and she paused, placing a finger to her chin. "…But I'm sure it'll be fine, really! Uncle Yi Jeong loves you! He might be a bit surprised at first, but I'm sure he'll be happy about it…"

Seok-Young tightened his mouth. "I hope you're right…"

"Oh! Why don't you take Eomma with you!"

Seok-Young exhaled. "Why does everyone keep suggesting that?" he muttered.

"Eh?" Mee-Yon looked at Seok-Young curiously.

"Oh, nevermind, Mee-Yon-ah… You know very well that I can't take Eomma."

She nodded.

"Well, you work things out with Eun-Jeong and I'll talk to Uncle Yi Jeong," and Seok-Young stuck his hand out to Mee-Yon.

"Deal," she said, as she clasped her brother's hand. They smiled at each other and exchanged the fighting sign before parting.


Early that evening…

Seok-Young had requested a meeting with Yi Jeong, and his uncle had fit him in right away…

As he stood in the grand living room of the So mansion, Seok-Young was certain that he had never been so nervous in his life. Despite having performed at some of the most prestigious musical venues inside and out of South Korea, his anxiety during those times did not even compare to right now.

Seok-Young had hoped for a few extra moments to compose himself and go over the speech he'd prepared in his head, but Yi Jeong stepped out of his office almost immediately after the butler left to inform Yi Jeong of his arrival.

"Seok-Young, hello!" Yi Jeong greeted vibrantly. He approached Seok-Young and drew him into a hug.

After a brief embrace, Seok-Young bowed before Yi Jeong. "Hello, Uncle Yi Jeong. How are you?"

And they exchanged pleasantries.

"Why don't we go into my office and talk then?" Yi Jeong suggested, and he beckoned Seok-Young with a smile.

"That's OK, Uncle Yi Jeong. I'll be brief. I don't want to take up much of your valuable time," he spoke with the utmost respect and lowered his head.

"Alright then," Yi Jeong tucked his hands into the pockets of his suit pants. "What is it, my boy?" he asked.

Seok-Young glanced up and noticed that Eun-Jeong had stepped out of her room and was standing at the top of the stairwell. It reminded him of their kiss, mere hours earlier—still fresh and lingering upon his lips like a treasured memory—and instinctively, he smiled.

She was looking down upon them with a slightly nervous expression upon her pretty face. And Seok-Young knew—right then and there—that he would always do anything and everything he could to bring a smile to that face that he so adored… He sent her a tender, reassuring smile and then turned resolutely back to her father.

"Well, it's about the girl I like, Uncle Yi Jeong."

Yi Jeong gave a nod. "Yes? What about her?"

Seok-Young felt his hands begin to shake all of a sudden. And he squeezed them together. "Well…," his eyes shot up to Eun-Jeong once more. Seeing her there—and thinking of how beautiful and wonderful she was—gave him renewed determination. He couldn't possibly fail in front of her…

So, Seok-Young bolstered his courage and decided to just say it.

"It's Eun-Jeong!" Seok-Young blurted out with confidence. "…Uncle Yi Jeong, the girl I like is Eun-Jeong," he finished softly but assuredly.

Yi Jeong's lips parted. "Eun-Jeong…?" he questioned, his brow wrinkling up. "Did you just say that you like Eun-Jeong—my Eun-Jeong?"

The color had all but left Seok-Young's face, and he stood inanimately still, with his arms plastered at his sides. He nodded slowly.

Yi Jeong stared at the boy before him, as if he'd completely lost his sanity.

"Yes, I like Eun-Jeong, Uncle Yi Jeong. I like her a lot, and…and…she likes me. And I…wanted to ask your permission to date her…"

Yi Jeong took a few rather intimidating steps forward. "You…want to date my Eun-Jeong?" Yi Jeong asked in disbelief.

Seok-Young swallowed the lump in his throat, responding, "Yes," and lowering his head in humility.

Yi Jeong released a short burst of air and turned from Seok-Young, running a hand through his sleek hair. He paced a few steps.

"There's something else, Uncle Yi Jeong. I have something else to confess to you…because I want to be completely honest with you." Seok-Young took a slow, steadying breath. There's no going back now…

Yi Jeong turned back to look at Seok-Young over his shoulder—his breathing was slightly elevated now.

Ga Eul had just entered the living room from the nursery. She stood there, several feet behind her husband, and also looked upon Seok-Young.

Seok-Young took another deep breath before speaking, "I need to tell you, Uncle Yi Jeong, that I…I…made a mistake. And I…k-kissed Eun-Jeong..."

"What?!" Yi Jeong exclaimed. He advanced toward Seok-Young again, menacingly. Seok-Young instinctively took a step back, but then he held his ground.

"Mianhada, Uncle Yi Jeong!" Seok-Yong lowered his head in apology. "I know I should have talked to you before doing that, but…it just…happened… I wasn't thinking. Please forgive me!" and Seok-Young bowed even more deeply before Yi Jeong.

Yi Jeong stood before Seok-Young now, his weighted chest rising and falling. "You weren't thinking?" he scoffed. What kind of excuse was that?!

Seok-Young gave a remorseful nod and kept his head lowered. After a few seconds, he tentatively raised his eyes to meet Yi Jeong's—which appeared dark and unforgiving.

When Yi Jeong said nothing, Seok-Young opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out. His throat was suddenly parched and empty, as the bottom of a dry well.

Yi Jeong turned his back to Seok-Young and began to walk off, with his hands upon his hips.

Finding his words again, Seok-Young called out to his uncle, in a voice that cracked slightly. "Uncle Yi Jeong…?"

"Get out…," Yi Jeong muttered. "I can't look at you right now…"

Seok-Young's lips parted. He silently stared at Yi Jeong's back, dumbfounded for a moment, and then he dropped his head in guilt and sorrow.

Ga Eul tightened her lips. She approached Yi Jeong and laid her hand on his arm. "Jagiya, is it really necessary to…?"

But Yi Jeong ignored his wife and instead rotated his head to glimpse Seok-Young out of the corner of his eye.

Seok-Young remained frozen to the spot, his head hung in shame.

"What are you still doing here? I told you to get out of my house, Yoon Seok-Young!" Yi Jeong shouted, as he glared back at Seok-Young over his shoulder.

Seok-Young winced like a whipped puppy. And then he silently turned and walked out of the massive doorway of the So household.

Yi Jeong clutched at his forehead. He'd been so blind not to see this! But then again, he had seen it… He had seen it actually—the way Eun-Jeong and Seok-Young had been looking at each other… He'd seen it when she dislocated her shoulder and in the hospital on the day his son was born, but because he didn't want to see it, he'd dismissed it entirely. But it was there, nonetheless...

Yi Jeong barely registered it when Ga Eul came up to him and placed her hand upon his arm again. "Yobo, did you really have to kick out Seok-Young? Weren't you a bit harsh with him?"

Yi Jeong sighed. "I just couldn't deal with him… I needed to cool off. I didn't want to get angrier and yell at him further…," Yi Jeong muttered.

Ga Eul nodded.

And then Yi Jeong raised his eyes to the third floor where Eun-Jeong was staring down at him. Yeong-Hui, Jae-Jin, and Ae-Jeong had also emerged from their rooms upon hearing the commotion…


"So Eun-Jeong! Could you come down here right now?" he called out.

Eun-Jeong heard the commanding voice of her appa rise from the floor below. It had been a while since she heard him speak to her in such a tone—in fact, not since she broke a precious piece of pottery that he'd been perfecting for weeks, while climbing on the shelves in his studio.

Eun-Jeong slowly made her way down the steps, gripping tight to the railing as she descended. Her stomach was bundled up in knots. She was anxious about what her appa would say to her, but anxiety gave way to anger as she recalled the way her appa had treated Seok-Young.

Once she reached the bottom of the stairwell, Eun-Jeong stood before Yi Jeong. He folded his arms and took a moment to look upon her, preparing in his head what he would say. But before he could speak, she beat him to it.

Eun-Jeong's face contorted in indignation. "How could you, Appa?! How could you kick out Seok-Young? How could you treat him that way?!" she clenched her fists at her sides.

"How could I? How could he kiss you? And what were the two of you doing sneaking around behind my back like that? When and where did this even happen?"

"The day Byeong-Ho was born, at Oppa's parents' house," she replied immediately.

Yi Jeong put a hand to his forehead. "I see."

"We weren't sneaking around. And it wasn't planned, Appa. It just happened. But…but…I don't regret it!" Eun-Jeong retorted, haughtily.

Yi Jeong shot her a warning glance.

Eun-Jeong lowered her head slightly. And she took a deep breath. Releasing it slowly, she raised her eyes to meet her father's again. "Mianhae, Appa. But please understand that I'm not a little girl anymore…"

"Yes, you are," he asserted. You'll always be my little girl…

"No, I'm not. And you know what else? You can't put all the blame on Oppa because I kissed him, too, today in fact!"

Yi Jeong gaped at her.

What am I doing?!

She wondered if she'd lost her mind, but she was just so upset with her appa right now, and she wanted him to know how serious she was. She tightened her lips and lowered her gaze again.

Yi Jeong began to slowly, deliberately rub his temples.

"You can't date Seok-Young," he announced.

"But why, Appa?!" she exclaimed through newborn tears. The thought of not being with him was just too much to bear…

"Well, for one thing he's too old for you."

"No, he's not! We're only one year apart!"

"And you're too young to date, anyway!" Yi Jeong added.

"No, I'm not!"

"Well, I'm your appa. It's my decision, and I think that you are," he spoke sternly.

"But Appa, please!" she cried out.

Ga Eul tried to shush the both of them so they would not wake baby Byeong-Ho, who was sleeping in the nursery several doors down. But it was too late. They all simultaneously heard Byeong-Ho begin to wail from down the hall.

"Ohh!" Ga Eul exclaimed before rushing off to tend to the baby.

Yi Jeong watched Ga Eul go, and then he turned back to Eun-Jeong. She was looking at him expectantly, with wide, moistened eyes. "Appa…?"

He shook his head and glanced away. "I'm sorry, but no."

Eun-Jeong realized she was getting nowhere with him, so she decided to try another tactic. "Appa, mianhae… I respect you so much, and I respect your decisions, but please reconsider! Please let me go out with Seok-Young…," and she clasped her hands together.

She realized she was begging—and making a spectacle of herself in front of her entire family—but she didn't care.

Yi Jeong took a slow, ragged breath. "Why Seok-Young of all people?"

"Why not him, Appa? What's wrong with him? He's amazing…," she uttered almost dreamily.

"I never said there was anything wrong with him. It's just that he's…he's…" And Yi Jeong realized he didn't really have a good excuse. "Ahhh, you just can't date him!" he reiterated.

Eun-Jeong tightened her lips. "You just don't want me to date anyone…," she muttered under her breath.

"You watch your tone, young lady," he warned.

Eun-Jeong sniffled and wiped her cheeks. Then, she dropped her head and nodded. "Mianhae. But please, Appa?" she glanced up at him tentatively.

Yi Jeong shook his head. "No. My mind is made up," and he prepared to walk off on her.

Eun-Jeong's lip began to quiver like a small child, and she felt herself losing control again, "Why are you being so mean, Appa?!" she lamented, as a freshet of tears soaked her rosy cheeks.

Yi Jeong stopped dead in his tracks. It was crushing his heart…

He turned back to gaze upon her over his shoulder—with an anguished look upon his face. "I'm not being mean; I'm just looking out for you," he insisted.

"How are you looking out for me, Appa? What do you think Seok-Young is going to do to me that is so horrible?!" she protested. Then, her breathing began to quicken, and suddenly, she felt as though tiny needles were stabbing her all throughout her chest.

Was this what a panic attack felt like? Eun-Jeong had never had one before…

"Just calm down," Yi Jeong insisted, as he watched his daughter struggle to breathe. He rushed to her, reaching out for her, but she pulled away.

Yi Jeong clutched at his forehead. "Don't you see that you're obviously too attached? This isn't healthy. In time, you'll understand why I'm doing this…," he spoke more softly.

Eun-Jeong shook her head in vehement protest—she was shaking all over, in fact…

Ga Eul had just returned from tending to Byeong-Ho. She tried to go to Eun-Jeong, but Eun-Jeong stepped away from her, too.

"Baby, please try and relax," Ga Eul soothed and asked if she wanted water. Eun-Jeong shook her head.

"Why don't you go to your room while your appa and I discuss this," Ga Eul suggested.

"Yes, go to your room, Eun-Jeong, while I discuss this with your mother. And for your behavior you're grounded until further notice. You're only allowed to go to school, nowhere else. And you're not to see Seok-Young until I decide what to do about this."

Eun-Jeong felt as though a dagger had been plunged deep into her heart. "B-but…but why?! Why can't I see him, Appa?!"

Yi Jeong turned from her. "Don't question me. It's for your own good…," he replied, and he began to walk off toward his study.

"No, it's not! How could it possibly be?! How could keeping me away from him be good for me?" she blubbered.

Eun-Jeong rushed to catch up to her father. She tugged on his sleeve, begging, "Appa, please don't do this! I can't be away from him!"

But Yi Jeong didn't turn around. "I know you feel strongly right now, but these feelings will pass in time. There will be other boys…"

"No! There won't be! They're not going to pass! You don't understand!" she shouted through tears.

"I do understand. I know what it's like to have a crush…"

"No, it's more than that! Appa, I love him!" she blurted out.

Yi Jeong spun around to face her this time. "Did you just say that you love him?" he asked dubiously.

"Yes, I love him, Appa!" she clasped her hands across her chest.

And something within Yi Jeong snapped. "You're too young to even know what love really is! You couldn't possibly love him! You're just infatuated right now…"

Eun-Jeong emphatically shook her head. "That's not true! You don't know anything, Appa!"

"Don't speak to me like that, So Eun-Jeong! I've had enough. Now, go to your room!" he pointed upward.

Eun-Jeong let out a few sobs. "Fine…," she muttered.

She began to stumble off toward the stairs; he watched her go.

But then she stopped and turned back to face him again. "…But I do know what love is; I know! And I feel it…right here!" she clutched at her chest—placing her hand over the space covering her heart. "Just like what you feel for Eomma, I feel that for Seok-Young Oppa! And…and…," she blubbered, "…you can't keep us apart!" she shouted before dashing up the stairs, past her shocked siblings, and to her room.

There was an overly loud SLAM of her bedroom door—followed immediately by the blasting of a depressing love song.

Yeong-Hui, Jae-Jin, and Ae-Jeong stood—in stunned silence—at the top of the stairs. They looked between each other for a moment, and then Yeong-Hui followed after her twin. And after a brief glance to their Appa below them, Jae-Jin and Ae-Jeong also returned to their rooms.


Yi Jeong sighed and slumped onto the couch. He buried his face in his hands, as his daughter's words came rushing back to him…

I love him, Appa!

Just like what you feel for Eomma... That one hit him hard, he had to admit.

Ga Eul stood there, rooted to her spot. After a moment, she delicately approached Yi Jeong. She sat down beside him and put an arm around his shoulders. "Yobo…?" she spoke in a gentle whisper.

Yi Jeong sighed heavily. "Well, that was a disaster…," he muttered in response.

Ga Eul sighed and ran her hand along Yi Jeong's arm.

"Well, at least she didn't say she hated me…," he gave a broken laugh. "Still, she's never yelled at me like that before…"

Ga Eul was silent; she briefly rested her head upon her husband's shoulder. "She was just upset. I'm sure she feels terrible about it."

Yi Jeong hung his head and covered his face with his hands again. And Ga Eul began to lightly massage his shoulders. "I understand how you must feel, Yobo," she spoke softly. "And I know it's difficult, but Eun-Jeong is growing up… She's not a little girl anymore, and it was only a matter of time before she started liking boys."

"I know. I just hoped to have a bit more time before that day came…," he muttered through his hands.

"I know, Yobo…," Ga Eul soothed.

Suddenly, Yi Jeong dropped his hands and slapped them against his knees. "I just can't believe this!" He stood—breaking Ga Eul's hold on his shoulders—and began to do laps around the room, hands on hips.

"Yoon Seok-Young? Our daughter likes Yoon Seok-Young?" Yi Jeong exclaimed, as he continued to pace around the room like a madman, muttering Seok-Young's name in disbelief.

Ga Eul sighed and raised a finger to her lips as a reminder about Byeong-Ho. "Yes, Yoon Seok-Young. Why do you keep repeating it, Yobo? Is that really so terrible?"

"No, it's not terrible…just…strange… They've always been like…siblings… Do you believe this, Ga Eul-ah?"

"Well, actually…I have a confession to make, Yobo. I kind of knew about Eun-Jeong's feelings for Seok-Young. I've known for a while now. But I didn't know about the kiss."

Yi Jeong froze and stared at his wife, with a look of shock and betrayal. "What? You knew? And you didn't tell me?!" He raised his voice slightly, and Ga Eul gave him a look.

Yi Jeong softened and then released a heavy exhale. "How could you keep this from me, Ga Eul?"

"I wanted it to come from Eun-Jeong, and she wasn't ready to tell you. I'm sorry, Yobo, but it was a mother-daughter promise that I wouldn't say anything to you. You can understand that, right?"

Yi Jeong gave a sorrowful nod. "So she's keeping secrets from me now…," he mumbled, dejected. "She never used to do that… Even when she did something wrong as a small girl, she always felt so guilty that she would confess immediately…"

"This is different. You need to understand, my love, that talking about a boy they like to their father can be difficult for a young girl. The emotions are so mixed up as it is…"

Yi Jeong released a weary sigh. "So, that night when I heard Eun-Jeong mention a boy she liked…she was talking about Seok-Young?"

"Yes."

All this time, and I never knew…

But really it was his own fault, Yi Jeong acknowledged. The signs had been there…and who better than he to recognize when a girl likes a guy? Was there a bigger fool than him right now? But then again, hindsight was said to be 20-20.

As if looking back on some terrible tragedy, it all began to make sense to Yi Jeong. And he recalled his and Woo Bin's conversation with Seok-Young about the girl he liked…

Yi Jeong scoffed. "And to think I was giving him tips…," he muttered under his breath.

"What?" Ga Eul's brow furrowed.

He shook his head. "Nothing; never mind."

Ga Eul looked at him curiously, but Yi Jeong was off in his own head. And then, he suddenly came to another realization…

"Ohhhh, no, no, no! Woo Bin!" Yi Jeong shouted in exasperation. And Ga Eul immediately shushed him.

When Yi Jeong quieted again, she asked, "What is it? What about Woo Bin Sunbae?"

"He's a dead man, that's what!"

She placed a finger to her lips. "Yobo, please… What did Woo Bin Sunbae do?"

"He…he…arrgghhh!" Yi Jeong growled, as he recalled how Woo Bin had taught his own signature move to Seok-Young.

Ga Eul went to her husband, fearing that he had suddenly lost his sanity, and she looked upon him with pure concern.

Once he was calm again, Ga Eul asked, "Would it really be so terrible for Eun-Jeong to date Seok-Young? You love Seok-Young, and he's a very good boy."

"Yes, I do love Seok-Young," Yi Jeong responded immediately, "and yes I think he's a good boy, but I don't know if I want him dating my daughter…"

Yi Jeong shut his eyes and clutched his forehead, still working to banish the mental image of Seok-Young pulling the Five Step Kill on Eun-Jeong from his head.

"I just don't think Eun-Jeong should date yet. She's too young. I believe they both are, but Seok-Young is older and Ji Hoo can make decisions about what he does. As for Eun-Jeong, though, I don't think she should date yet."

"Well, she is a bit young, but weren't you just as young when you started dating?"

"Well, I don't really want Eun-Jeong to repeat any of my patterns or have a life anything like mine…back then…do you?"

Ga Eul gave Yi Jeong a sympathetic smile.

"And did you see how worked up she got over this? I don't like it one bit. It's like…she's obsessed with him or something…"

Ga Eul sighed. "I wouldn't say that. She has very strong feelings, and she's passionate, but that's all natural for her age…"

Yi Jeong grew ominously silent for a moment, and an expression bleak as a barren wasteland crossed his face. "…She said that she loves him, Jagiya… My little girl is in love…," he muttered desolately. And he collapsed onto the couch again, leaning his head back. "It cannot be. She's too young to be in love…"

Ga Eul took a seat next to her husband and gently spoke, "There's no timetable for when you fall in love, Yobo. You know as well as I how mysterious that particular force is…" Ga Eul smiled to herself, recalling her own experience. "We can't pick when or with whom it happens…"

Yi Jeong nodded. "I know that."

"I know that I certainly would not have chosen to fall in love with South Korea's most infamous Casanova…," Ga Eul gave him a wry grin.

"Ya, Ga Eul-yang…," he protested.

"But I'm glad I did," she finished with a sweet smile and a peck to the lips. "I wouldn't change a thing."

Yi Jeong smiled affectionately at his wife—she'd always had the incredible ability to melt him like warm chocolate. "Neither would I," and he leaned in to press his lips to hers again.

Afterward, Yi Jeong pulled back and gave a defeated, yet somewhat peaceful sigh. Ga Eul always knew exactly what to do and say to ease him, too…

"You're right, Jagiya… You're always right. How do you manage that?"

"It's a gift, I suppose," she grinned and cuddled up to him.

"You know, I think that Seok-Young is a perfect choice for Eun-Jeong…"

"You do?"

"Yes, I do," Ga Eul asserted. "There are far worse choices she could make, after all. Seok-Young is a good, respectful boy, who has been raised well, so we know that he will treat Eun-Jeong right. And Seok-Young is fiercely protective of Eun-Jeong, so we can be sure he would never allow her to be hurt…"

"That's true," Yi Jeong replied, as he held Ga Eul tighter against him.

"…I admit that I worry a bit about Eun-Jeong dating, but I wouldn't worry so much about her with Seok-Young," she continued. "I know he'll be a perfect gentleman with her. Ji Hoo and Jan Di would stand for nothing less. They love Eun-Jeong, after all. You know how loyal and honorable Ji Hoo Sunbae is, and Seok-Young is a lot like him, actually…"

"Yes, he is, but he's got a bit of Jan Di's temper mixed in there…" Yi Jeong recalled the incident with Seok-Young punching that kid Park Jung-Ho, as well as a couple of other times when Seok-Young snapped a little bit.

Ga Eul chuckled. "I suppose there's a bit of that…"

"He can be stubborn like Jan Di sometimes, too," Yi Jeong added.

"Spunky," Ga Eul corrected.

Yi Jeong smirked and shook his head. "Yeah, I guess that's the word I meant…"

Ga Eul snuggled in and began to tickle the skin underneath his chin. "And you know, another plus is that we won't have to worry about meeting our daughter's boyfriend's parents… We won't have to wonder what kind of people they are, or if we'll like them," Ga Eul gave a small chuckle.

Yi Jeong frowned slightly at the reference of his daughter's boyfriend… Still, she made a good point. "That's true, Jagiya. I must admit, I have quite an amazing wife…"

Sensing that she was getting through to him, Ga Eul decided to try and seal the deal, so she nuzzled noses with him and proceeded to feather him with soft kisses, upon his lips, his cheeks, and down his neck. "Yobo, won't you please reconsider allowing Eun-Jeong and Seok-Young to date?" she asked between kisses.

He pulled back and stared at her. "My wife is amazing, yet also very devious…," he smirked. Ga Eul grinned at him, and he proceeded to kiss her deeply.

Yi Jeong exhaled sharply. "I'll think about it, but I just don't know. They were both dishonest with me. They kept this from me, and he kissed her before talking to me about it. I don't like that."

"We were all wrong to keep it a secret from you, Jagiya, but I think they were just afraid to tell you. And you know how powerful those feelings can be… I think we should just sit down and talk to Ji Hoo and Jan Di about this. If the children want to date, then why don't we let them, but just set some ground rules?"

Yi Jeong gave a defeated sigh. "I suppose you're right. I suppose we should at least talk to the Yoons about it."


Meanwhile…

Eun-Jeong was in her room. She had opened her bay window and was staring at the ground three stories below her, pondering...

"What in the world do you think you're doing?" the voice of Yeong-Hui came from behind Eun-Jeong, as she remained poised at the window, one knee upon the ledge.

"Have you gone crazy?" Yeong-Hui demanded, and she rushed to Eun-Jeong, grabbing her by the arm and pulling her back from the window.

Eun-Jeong wrenched free from Yeong-Hui's grasp. "Stay out of it, Yeong-Hui!" she snapped at her twin, and then she turned resolutely back to the window. But she hesitated upon looking down.

Yeong-Hui tightened . "Are you trying to sneak out to see Seok-Young Oppa?"

"What if I am...," she muttered—her back to Yeong-Hui.

Yeong-Hui sighed. "Well, if you are then I would advise against it. It's a very bad idea."

"Well, who asked you?" Eun-Jeong snipped, casting a brief glare back at Yeong-Hui over her shoulder.

Yeong-Hui simply stared at her.

"Fine, yes, I am going to see Oppa… And don't even think about trying to stop me! Do you want to keep us apart, too?"

Yeong-Hui sighed and shook her head at her sister's dramatic overreaction. "No. Why would I try to keep you two apart? I'm just concerned for you… You're not thinking clearly. Why don't you talk to me about it?"

Eun-Jeong tightened and gave an emphatic shake of the head. "No, I need to check on Oppa. He must be so upset after appa yelled at him and kicked him out," Eun-Jeong poked her lip out.

And she looked out the window, extending her arm as she tried to determine if she could reach the protruding branch of a nearby tree.

Yeong-Hui clutched onto Eun-Jeong's other hand to stop her. When Eun-Jeong resisted, Yeong Hui reminded her, "It's a long way down from the third floor, you know…"

"It…is pretty far…," Eun-Jeong muttered, glancing down again. And the sensation of fear returned to her—as well as the pain of hitting the ground from a great height—as she recalled the tree incident.

"Yes, it is, and haven't you already dislocated your shoulder over Seok-Young Oppa? Were you planning to break another bone for him? Perhaps even your neck this time…?"

"How did you know—?"

"Let's just say that I figured it out. Your sister is very smart, you know?" Yeong-Hui said with a wry smile.

Eun-Jeong smiled faintly. Then, she sighed in defeat and allowed Yeong-Hui to lead her by the hand away from the open window…

"If you're worried, couldn't you just text or call him?" Yeong-Hui suggested.

"Well, I guess so…," Eun-Jeong sulked.

"You're lucky Appa didn't take your phone away," Yeong-Hui smirked.

"Yea," Eun-Jeong nodded. She pulled out her phone and texted Seok-Young.


"I'm so sorry, Oppa! Are you OK?"

His response chimed through almost immediately. "Yes, I'm fine. Don't worry." And he put a little smiley and a heart after it.

Eun-Jeong smiled tenderly and ran a loving finger across his contact image on her phone.

Another message came through. "Are you OK?" he asked.

She responded with, "Yes, I just feel so bad for you."

"Don't feel bad. Everything will be fine. Your oppa will take care of it." And he added a couple more cute emojis and hearts.

Eun-Jeong smiled, as she gazed upon the screen.


"See, he's fine," Yeong-Hui said. "But you, on the other hand, I'm not so sure…"

Eun-Jeong scowled at Yeong-Hui. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Well, what were you thinking tonight? Yelling at Appa and then trying to climb out the window...? I know you like Oppa a lot, but is he really worth breaking every bone in your body for? Oppa wouldn't want that…"

Eun-Jeong exhaled sharply. She nodded and walked over to her bed. She fell back onto it and stared up at the ceiling. "Ohh, Appa just made me so mad!" she pounded her fists against the bed, "How could he be so cruel to Oppa?!"

Yeong-Hui took a seat beside Eun-Jeong on the bed. Eun-Jeong sat up, and Yeong-Hui placed a hand upon her shoulder.

"And Appa said I couldn't see Oppa! I can't be apart from Oppa! I'll just die!" she exclaimed through fledgling tears—and speaking as though the world was crashing down around her.

Yeong-Hui sighed. She turned fully to Eun-Jeong and grasped onto her by the shoulders. "Don't be so melodramatic, Eun-Jeong-ah, and come back to your senses!" and she gave Eun-Jeong a little shake.

"Ya!" Eun-Jeong protested as her sister rattled her.

"Appa was probably just shocked and upset by the news. He'll calm down, and I'm sure he'll be more rational and understanding. He's not going to keep you from seeing Seok-Young forever…but what did you hope to accomplish by defying Appa and sneaking out? You'd have only made Appa and Eomma upset and worried; that wouldn't help your cause any. You'd have only made it worse, and—not to mention—you could have gotten hurt in the process…"

"Yea, I guess that wasn't such a good idea. I guess you're right…"

"Of course I am."

"When did you get to be so wise, Yeong-Hui-ah?"

Yeong-Hui scoffed. "I always have been. You're just now figuring that out?"

They both chuckled. "Gomawo," Eun-Jeong said, and they hugged one another.


Seok-Young returned home with his head hung low and his tail figuratively between his legs. When Jan Di saw him come in—looking so sad—she immediately asked what was wrong. After some urging from Jan Di, Seok-Young confessed everything to her.

"How could Yi Jeong do that?" Jan Di exclaimed, more to herself. "You were just trying to be honest with him! Maybe I'll just go and have a little talk with him…," she stood from her seat and prepared to storm out.

Seok-Young recalled Eun-Jeong's little joke about him hiding behind his eomma while telling her appa about liking her, as well as Mee-Yon suggesting the same, and it wounded his pride a bit.

"No, Eomma!" he suddenly blurted out in a slightly raised voice.

Jan Di gaped at Seok-Young. Upon realizing the volume and tone he'd taken with his mother, Seok-Young bowed his head and—lowering his voice—said, "Forgive me, Eomma. But please…please don't do that… I don't want you to fight my battles for me, Eomma… Please don't talk to Uncle Yi Jeong…"

Jan Di nodded. "OK. I won't. I'm sorry, Seok-Y…"

"Thanks, Eomma…"

"But I do think that your father and I should discuss this."

Seok-Young nodded and excused himself. He trudged up to his room sullenly.

Jan Di sadly watched Seok-Young walk off, and she sighed.


Moments later, Ji Hoo returned home. Immediately sensing Jan Di's emergency bell, he asked what the matter was. But before she could explain anything, Ji Hoo's phone rang.

"Yi Jeong-ah…," Ji Hoo greeted. Jan Di pretended not to be, but she was attempting to listen in.

Yi Jeong was clearly in a tiff about something, and it didn't take long for the source of his frustration to come out. "Ji Hoo, your son…!" Yi Jeong gave an exasperated groan on the line.

Though he was fairly certain he knew what this was about, Ji Hoo played dumb. He didn't know the circumstances after all. And Ji Hoo wondered what exactly had taken place.

"What has Seok-Young done?" he asked of Yi Jeong, while looking to Jan Di—who tightened her lips and slinked closer to him, in order to better eavesdrop.

"He kissed my daughter, that's what he's done!"

Ji Hoo sighed. "Ah, yes, I know..."

"You knew?!" Did everyone know about this, but me?! Yi Jeong wondered on his end.

"Yes, I knew. I'm sorry I didn't tell you, Yi Jeong, but I did advise Seok-Young to tell you himself."

"Oh, he told me, alright…," Yi Jeong muttered.

Ji Hoo and Yi Jeong talked for a few more minutes before deciding that they would all meet over dinner soon to discuss the matter of their children's relationship.


A few days later…

Eun-Jeong felt as though she was going crazy not being able to see Seok-Young, so she had been texting him a lot and calling him when she could. She recalled a phone conversation they had shortly after the blowup.

"We're not supposed to see each other," she sorrowfully informed him. "I'm grounded for smarting off to my appa. I'm so sorry, Oppa…I messed up…"

"No, I'm the one who messed up, Eun-Jeong-ah. It's my fault. I handled it all wrong."

"No, I thought that you handled it perfectly. You were very brave to stand up to my appa and ask permission for us to date," she affectionately replied.

"I just did what I had to do. I only wish it would have gone differently."

The reminder got Eun-Jeong up in arms again. "Oh, I can't believe he treated you that way! I am so, so sorry for the way Appa treated you, Oppa! He was so unfair to you…"

"No, he was right to be angry. I deceived him… I think my parents and your parents are going to sit down and have a talk about us," Seok-Young sighed on his end.

He sounded sad to Eun-Jeong, even though she knew he was trying to put on a strong front for her sake. She wished she could somehow comfort him, but she didn't know what to say. And she also wished she could simply throw her arms around him in a tight embrace and bury her face in his safe, warm chest. She clutched her pillow tight against her chest while speaking to him.

"Perhaps our appas will have that duel you spoke of, after all…," Seok-Young joked—to ease the tension—when Eun-Jeong was silent for a moment.

Eun-Jeong smiled faintly on her end.

When she said nothing in reply, Seok-Young added, "Only joking. Don't worry. It's all going to be OK. I promise…"


Since she could not see Seok-Young, Eun-Jeong took emotional solace in her closest friends. She had called an emergency meeting of the F5 girls…

It was after school, and Eun-Jeong sat in her room with Yeong-Hui, Ju-Mi, and Hye-Mi. Mee-Yon was not there. She'd said she had swim practice, but Eun-Jeong suspected that Mee-Yon was still a bit hurt. They hadn't really talked much since the incident—not openly anyway.

Eun-Jeong had also called the meeting for the purpose of telling the others about her feelings for Seok-Young. Mee-Yon hadn't said anything to them about what she saw, nor had anyone else to her knowledge. But it was inevitable that they were going to find out soon, given that Jae-Jin, Ae-Jeong and her appa now knew.

Eun-Jeong also felt that she should come clean to her best friends… If there was one thing the incident had taught her, it was that secrets are rarely a good idea…

Eun-Jeong took strength in remembering Seok-Young's courage, and after a deep breath, she confessed to them. She told them the whole story, including about the explosive incidents with Mee-Yon and her appa.

The girls patiently listened. And after Eun-Jeong finished, they sat there silently for a moment, as if processing the information.

Eun-Jeong hesitantly asked, "Are you guys mad at me?"

"Of course not," Ju-Mi spoke up first.

And Hye-Mi mirrored the sentiment. "Why would we be mad?"

"Well, because I…wasn't truthful right away…," Eun-Jeong mumbled.

"It's OK, Unnie," Ju-Mi said, and the three gathered around her, reassuring her with hugs and friendly pats on the back and shoulder.

"That's a relief," Eun-Jeong breathed. "So, you don't think it's too…weird…?"

"No, we get it, Unnie," Hye-Mi winked at her.

"You do?" Eun-Jeong questioned.

"Sure. Seok-Young Oppa is hot," Hye-Mi stated matter-of-factly.

Eun-Jeong gaped at her.

"Whaaat? He is!" Hye-Mi insisted. "Obviously you must think so, too, Unnie, since you like him!"

"Well, yes…obviously I do…," Eun-Jeong blushed crimson and looked away. "…But it's more than that...," her eyes crinkled up and creased into a smile, "he's really sweet, too..."

"Oh yes, Oppa is super sweet!" Hye-Mi interjected. "And I must admit something…," she gave a shy smile—one rarely seen on Song Hye-Mi's face. "I never told anyone this, but I…had a little crush on Oppa when I was younger…"

Eun-Jeong's mouth dropped, and Ju-Mi and Yeong-Hui giggled. "Really, Hye-Mi-ah?" Yeong-Hui asked, glancing to Eun-Jeong, who still appeared a bit shocked.

"Yes," Hye-Mi nodded. "I was about 6 years old, and Oppa was 10. Well, one day I was sad, and he went out of his way to cheer me up. He even played tea party with me…," Hye-Mi's eyes twinkled at her pleasant memory.

"Tea party, really?" Ju-Mi questioned. "Did you dress Oppa up for the occasion?"

Yeong-Hui laughed.

"No, he wouldn't do that," Hye-Mi giggled, "but he still played with me for hours… And I got a little crush on him for a while after that. Back then, I thought Oppa was the most amazing boy in the world…"

They all smiled.

"But, it was just a phase," Hye-Mi added. "Don't worry about any competition, Unnie," Hye-Mi turned to Eun-Jeong, who was still looking rather stunned by this news. "I've broadened my horizons since then…"

Ju-Mi laughed out loud.

"Hye-Mi always talks like she is 11 going on 21…," Yeong-Hui snickered.

"What?" Hye-Mi gaped. "I mean, Oppa is still amazing, but I wouldn't try to take him from Unnie. And there are lots of fish in the sea, anyway..."

Yeong-Hui and Ju-Mi burst out laughing.

"Oh, Hye-Mi-ah, you are too funny!" Yeong-Hui exclaimed, clutching her sides in laughter.

"Yea, I think you must take after your appa—South Korea's famous former Don Juan!" Ju-Mi added, giggling.

Woo Bin's past was not something that the Songs had advertised to their kids, but it was well known—and was not something that could have been kept a secret from them for long.

Hye-Mi feigned hurt. "Don't call Appa that! That was a long time ago anyway…," she muttered, scowling at Ju-Mi.

"Mianhae, Hye-Mi-ah…," Ju-Mi ceased the laughter.

Hye-Mi pouted but then put on a smile. "It's OK, I forgive you!"

"So, any fish you have your eyes set on right now, Hye-Mi-ah?" Yeong-Hui asked with a curious raise to her voice.

"Do you need to ask?" And Hye-Mi started going on and on about Aidan…

They didn't want to burst her bubble that Aidan was clearly too old for her—he was even older than Seok-Young, after all—so they decided to let her keep her little fantasy…

"Oh yes, speaking of Aidan…," Yeong-Hui turned to Ju-Mi, "…When do we get to meet him?"

Hye-Mi also Ju-Mi. "Yes, when?! I've been waiting soo long now!" she whined.

"Soon, don't worry. My appa is going to have a dinner for all our parents and us in their honor at my house, so you will get to meet them officially."

Hye-Mi squealed.

"Wow, that's really nice of Uncle Joon Pyo. I'm surprised that he'd do something like that."

"Well, it was my eomma's idea, really…," Ju-Mi explained. "She thought it would be a nice gesture."

"Oh, and don't forget that you'll all get to see Aidan and Aria perform at the Valentine's concert they're putting on at Shinwha next week," Ju-Mi added.

"Oh, that's right! I'm so excited for that!" Hye-Mi exclaimed.

And they all agreed that they were eagerly looking forward to the event…

"What's Aidan like?" Hye-Mi asked, with clasped hands. "Is he amazing?"

"Yes, he's…," Ju-Mi sighed, wearing a far-off look. "…really amazing…"

"And what's Aria like?" Yeong-Hui asked.

"Aria is really beautiful and really nice, too."

"You must tell us all about them, Ju-Mi-ah!" Hye-Mi interjected.

"Well, I haven't really seen them much. They've been rehearsing almost nonstop for that concert. They're even so busy that the dinner had to be postponed until after the concert."

"Oh, that's too bad!" Hye-Mi exclaimed.

"Yes, I hope they've been eating well…," Eun-Jeong added.

"Don't worry; my eomma has been keeping them fed. But poor Aria overworked herself and got sick for a few days..."

The girls all expressed their sorrow and concern.

"Eomma sent for porridge for her, though—from the shop where your eomma and Aunt Jan Di used to work, actually," Ju-Mi informed Eun-Jeong and Yeong-Hui.

"Oh yes, that place is good. You know, I think that Jae-Jin may have a little crush on the girl that works there," Yeong-Hui said with a sly grin, and Eun-Jeong nodded. "Oh yeah, I think you're right!"

"Ooooo," Hye-Mi and Ju-Mi chimed in unison.

To Be Continued…