Star-Crossed Lovers Pt I

Like the Lotus: The Next Generation

Yi Jeong stood at Ga Eul's hospital bedside, holding her hand and placing soft kisses upon it. Words could not express his thankfulness that she was alright, and he had practically crushed Ji Hoo with the weight of his gratitude when Ji Hoo had told him that everything was fine. Yi Jeong had thanked Ji Hoo profusely and informed his good friend that he was so glad he had decided to become a doctor.

Ga Eul looked up at her husband with large doe eyes, while he d her hand. "Is he OK?" she asked anxiously.

Yi Jeong nodded. "He's fine, Jagiya," and he leaned down to place a kiss upon her forehead. Ga Eul closed her eyes and enjoyed the feel of his warm lips upon her still clammy forehead, but only for a second before asking, "When can we see him?"

"Soon," Yi Jeong assured. "For now, please just rest, Jagiya," he spoke softly.

Ga Eul gave him a thin smile and nodded. But Ga Eul felt like she was crawling out of her skin waiting. Her newborn son had been taken away from her shortly after birth to be placed in the neonatal care unit for observation. And they had put him in an incubator. Ga Eul silently prayed to see her little one right…this…instant.


Jan Di and Ji Hoo checked on Ga Eul's vitals, and when they were sure everything was fine with her, they began to allow visitors to slowly trickle in a few at a time. They first allowed the So children, Jae-Jin, Eun-Jeong, and Yeong-Hui, while Yi Jeong stepped outside to speak with Ji Hoo.

"Eomma…are you really OK?" Eun-Jeong practically whimpered, with tears clinging to her eyelashes, as she stood beside Ga Eul's bed. Yeong-Hui stood right beside her twin, and Jae-Jin was sitting silently across the room, looking on and keeping watch over his mother, like a wolf watching over his pack.

Ga Eul smiled warmly. "Yes, I'm fine, Baby," she muttered in a hoarse voice. Eun-Jeong took hold of her eomma's hand and held it. "Oh, Eomma…I was so worried…"

"Yes, we were all worried!" Jan Di exclaimed, "Never do that again Ga Eul-ah!"

Ga Eul smiled faintly, "Mianhae, Jan Di-yah… Oh, please thank Dr. Jang for all his hard work, too," Ga Eul added.

Jan Di nodded, "I will."

And Ga Eul turned to stare longingly at the door, wishing the hospital staff would quickly bring her baby back to her.

As if by sheer force of will, several minutes later a nurse carrying the newborn brought him into the room. And Ga Eul's face lit up like Christmas lights.

"Here's your eomma," the nurse said, as she handed over the small, wrinkled boy to Ga Eul.

Ga Eul felt her tears begin to slip, as she smiled down at her son. "Is he fine now?" Ga Eul looked up at the nurse, with tears in his eyes.

"Yes," the nurse nodded, "He's much better now."

"Oh, thank goodness!"

"Would you like to try feeding him now?" the nurse asked. Ga Eul nodded, and the children and Jan Di bid her goodbye and took their leave.


Two hours later…

Ga Eul sat up in her bed, holding her newborn son—who was sleeping peacefully in her arms. Ji Hoo and Jan Di had been regulating the visitors allowed to see Ga Eul and the new baby due to her still weakened condition. Everyone had taken turns visiting the baby, including Joon Pyo, and the group members were now alternating between visititing the So and Goo babies, or they had left temporarily for other obligations.

"Saranghae, Byeong-Ho, my precious little one…," Ga Eul whispered and placed a kiss upon the top of the baby boy's soft head.

Yi Jeong stared down adoringly at his wife and son. And then Yi Jeong leaned down to also kiss his son. Ga Eul handed him over to Yi Jeong when he asked, and Yi Jeong delicately took him, attempting not to disturb his sleep. Yi Jeong walked the floor, proudly holding the newest member of the So family.

Ga Eul glanced to the door and noticed Seok-Young lingering outside. A soft smile crossed her lips. "You can come in, Seok-Young," she called to him. Shoving his hands into the pockets of his slacks, Seok-Young ambled into the room.

Eun-Jeong was standing beside her appa and staring down at her new baby brother, "He's so…perfect…," she cooed, "May I hold him, Appa?"

Yi Jeong smiled and nodded; he handed Byeong-Ho over to his daughter. Eun-Jeong's eyes twinkled, as she cradled the baby, "Annyeong, Byeong-Ho-ah..."

Seok-Young smiled faintly, as he stood just inside the door, practically chained to it.

"Come on over, Seok-Young, don't be shy," Ga Eul beckoned with a hand. Seok-Young nodded and moved a bit closer, hands still tucked neatly into his pockets.

"I'll be back, Jagiya," Yi Jeong said. He gave Ga Eul a kiss and headed out the door, clapping Seok-Young on the back on his way out. Seok-Young ventured closer and stood beside Eun-Jeong.

Eun-Jeong d the dark fuzz—that nearly matched the color of his mother's—upon Byeong-Ho's head. "Byeong-Ho-ah… I'm your noona, and I will always be there for you," she whispered, "I'll teach you everything I know, which isn't a lot…but I'll teach it to you anyhow…" Byeong-Ho wriggled in her arms in his sleep.

Seok-Young smiled to himself, and hesitantely reached out to give Byeong Ho's head a brief .

"And if anyone ever messes with you…," she continued, "they are gonna have to deal with your noona!"

Seok-Young grinned. And Eun-Jeong smiled and placed a delicate kiss upon the top of her little brother's head. Eun-Jeong looked up, as she cradled Byeong-Ho in the crook of her arm, and she and Seok-Young locked eyes. He was close, very close—she had only just realized—and it was making her heart flutter uncontrollably.

Ga Eul gently cleared . "Baby, I'm going to just close my eyes for a second..," she mumbled over to Eun-Jeong.

Eun-Jeong cast a glance to her mother, "Oh, yes of course, Eomma. Please rest, we can watch over Byeong-Ho until Appa comes back."

Ga Eul smiled and her eyelashes began to flutter. Then, Eun-Jeong turned to Seok-Young. "Would you like to hold him, Oppa?"

"Well, um, I don't know…"

"It'll be fine, Oppa. I'm sure you won't drop him…," Eun-Jeong smirked, as she held Byeong-Ho out toward Seok-Young.

The corners of Seok-Young's mouth twitched upward. "Well, I suppose I could...," and he reluctantly took the bundle from Eun-Jeong, supporting his soft, fragile head while doing so.

After getting Byeong-Ho into a comfortable position in his arms, Seok-Young stared down at him. Byeong-Ho squirmed; his large dark eyes opened and he suddenly began to cry. Ga Eul's partially closed eyes shot open in an instant—out of instinct—but she relaxed immediately, knowing they had it under control.

Seok-Young's brow furrowed. "Oh no…he doesn't like me…," Seok-Young muttered miserably.

"It's OK, Oppa. He's probably just a little fussy… He has had a hard day, after all. It's his first day of life, must be very overwhelming… Why don't you rock him or walk with him a little?"

Seok-Young nodded to her. "OK, I'll try…" Seok-Young began to walk the room, and a soft melody escaped his lips. Eun-Jeong tilted her head and smiled brightly as she watched them together.

Eun-Jeong heard Byeong-Ho's cries fade while Seok-Young hummed, and—when Seok-Young came near her again—she noticed that Byeong-Ho was fast asleep in his arms.

"You did it, Oppa," she whispered excitedly—her eyes smiling at him—as Byeong-Ho lay nestled in Seok-Young's arm. "You're a natural!"

Seok-Young smiled satisfactorily. He stood next to Eun-Jeong and looked down into her eyes.

Eun-Jeong felt her cheeks warm, and she pursed her cherry lips. "So…what was that song you were singing, Oppa?" she asked, hoping to ease the romantic tension—and she was also a bit curious...

"Oh…um…," he stammered, as if he'd been caught doing something wrong, "I didn't realize I was…uh, it's just a song I've been working on…" She noticed Seok-Young's cheeks flush lightly, as he turned his head from her.

Eun-Jeong smiled softly to herself. "Well, it was really beautiful…," she spoke adoringly.

"Gomawo…," he said, without make eye contact—and instead focusing upon the sleeping babe in his arms.

Eun-Jeong gazed upon Byeong-Ho for a moment and then tentatively raised her eyes to Seok-Young. She studied his handsome face, enjoying their closeness and the opportunity to notice each curve of his cheeks. And she fought the temptation to reach out and touch his face…

Seok-Young suddenly turned and caught her staring at him. Their eyes met, and Eun-Jeong realized that she was pressed against his arm, as she had been leaning in slightly.


Ga Eul was, in fact, exhausted, but she had only been pretending to sleep and was looking on from her bed under half-closed eyelids. A soft small crossed her lips, as she watched Eun-Jeong and Seok-Young's interaction. It was such a sweet moment, and she felt rather guilty even watching it, as if she was stealing something precious away from them. She wondered if perhaps she should close her eyes again and give them some privacy. But curiosity overcame her, and she continued to subtly observe.

Seok-Young's gaze wandered from Eun-Jeong's eyes to her full lips. And she noticed that he was staring down at her lips, almost as if he wanted to…

"Eun-Jeong-ah…," he breathed.

"Hmm?" was all Eun-Jeong could mutter, for she was also staring—currently mesmerized by his chocolate eyes and rapidly becoming hypnotized by the dancing flecks of caramel within them. And her heart began to thunder within her chest.

Seok-Young swallowed, "Eun-Jeong-ah…," he repeated, and she sensed that he wanted to lean in, but he fought the urge, for they both knew they were not alone. Her mother could wake at any moment, and anyone could walk through the door… So, they simply stared at one another, eyes flitting back and forth and memorizing details while the opportunity was there.

The moment was—of course—interrupted by the sound of footsteps, as Yi Jeong walked into the room. And the two teens instinctively shot apart like a burst of gunfire, Seok-Young clutching tight to Byeong-Ho, so as not to accidentally drop him in his surprise.

Yi Jeong's brow furrowed in confusion at the sight he'd seen—at the look Eun-Jeong and Seok-Young had been giving one other and at the way they'd snapped apart like a taut rubber band when he'd walked in—but he shook his head and dismissed it as only his imagination…


Seok-Young was going stir crazy… He'd nearly kissed Eun-Jeong, again—on pure impulse—right there in her mother's hospital room.

He wasn't quite sure what was wrong with him… But the emotion was still so fresh, and Seok-Young had felt a bit robbed when Eun-Jeong had to rush off to the hospital right after their kiss. He certainly understood that, but he'd really wanted to hold her longer…

Seok-Young clutched at his forehead and groaned; he hated feeling so out of control inside. What kind of spell had So Eun-Jeong cast upon him, anyway?! So Eun-Jeong—shy, silly, sweet So Eun-Jeong—his oldest childhood friend, the girl he'd grown up with his whole life… The girl who was more like a sister to him than anything, who he'd had snowball fights with, climbed trees with, and played hide-n-seek with in the back of her appa's pottery studio.

He decided to talk to someone about it…

Seok-Young went to his father's office. He knocked and was bid to come in. Ji Hoo was at his desk filling out paperwork. When Seok-Young entered, Ji Hoo looked up from the file in front of him, "Oh, hello, Son."

"Appa, can I talk to you?"

"Sure," Ji Hoo nodded and removed his glasses, setting them gently upon the desk. Ji Hoo beckoned for Seok-Young to sit in the chair in front of him. Seok-Young sat down and released a heavy sigh.

Ji Hoo rested his head upon his hand. "What's on your mind, Son?"

But it was clear to Ji Hoo what this must be about. Ji Hoo knew his son well; his son was an excellent student and a perfectionist—Seok-Young hated making mistakes, but that was clearly not the case right now. Seok-Young had only ever cared about music, but now—Ji Hoo knew that—there was something or rather someone Seok-Young cared for much more than even that...

"Well, first off, Appa, I wanted to thank you…for saving Aunt Ga Eul and the baby…"

Ji Hoo smiled warmly. It certainly wasn't what he expected to come out of his mouth. "Well, there's really no need to thank me for that, Son. Not only was it my job, but she's also a member of my family. Of course I was going to do everything in my power."

Seok-Young nodded. "I know, Appa. And I believed in you the whole time. I just wanted you to know that…I'm grateful."

Ji Hoo nodded and gave a small smile, and Seok-Young wrung his hands lightly. "Was there something else, Son?"

Seok-Young took a deep breath. "Well, yes... The thing is…the thing is, Appa, that I…like So Eun-Jeong…," he finally blurted out—meeting his father's eyes briefly and then casting his glance down to his feet, as if ashamed by such an admission.

Ji Hoo grinned and gave a nod, "Yes, I know."

"You know, Appa?" Seok-Young's head shot up to look at his father.

Ji Hoo smiled across the desk at him. "Of course I know, Son. Do you think your appa is a babo, Yoon Seok-Young?"

Seok-Young chuckled and shook his head, "No, of course not, Appa."

"So, have you told Eun-Jeong of your feelings?" Ji Hoo asked.

"Yes, Appa."

Ji Hoo folded his hands—interlacing his fingers—and leaned forward slightly, "And…?"

"She likes me, too, Appa."

Ji Hoo smirked. "I knew that, also…," and then he grew serious again, "Well then, what are your intentions for Eun-Jeong, Son?" Ji Hoo looked to Seok-Young, who was staring down at his hands in his lap.

"Well, I…really like her a lot, Appa, and…I would like to date her…"

Ji Hoo nodded, "I see."

"May I…have your permission, Appa?" he looked up hopefully.

"You may have my permission, Son. I know you'll be good to Eun-Jeong, but I'm not the person you really need to ask for permission from. That person is your uncle Yi Jeong."

Seok-Young released a slow burst of air. Somehow he'd rather hoped not to hear that. "I know, Appa. Do you…think Uncle Yi Jeong will allow it?"

Ji Hoo raised his eyes thoughtfully to the ceiling and pondered—a bit too long for Seok-Young's liking.

"Well, that's hard to say, Son. Yi Jeong is extremely protective of his girls… But, he does think a lot of you, too… Is that why you are here? Would you like for me to talk to him on your behalf?"

"No, Appa, kamsahamnida, though… I should be the one to do it. I should be a man and ask for permission on my own."

"I think that's a good idea," Ji Hoo replied.

Seok-Young slowly nodded. He began to rise from his chair but stopped and sat down again; he glanced off to the side.

"Was that all, Seok-Young?" Ji Hoo raised a brow, in wait.

Darn your perceptiveness, Appa… Appa always knew when he was withholding something…

"Well, no, there is something else I wanted to confess, Appa…"

"Alright, go ahead…"

"I…kissed her, Appa… I kissed Eun-Jeong…"

Ji Hoo's eyes went slightly wide. "Really?"

Seok-Young shook his head up and down. "Yes. …Do you think Uncle Yi Jeong is going to be very angry?"

...

"Appa?" Seok-Young finally spoke, concerned when Ji Hoo said nothing right away.

...

Ji Hoo exhaled. "Well, I don't think he's going to be thrilled by it, but you definitely should tell him. He may be upset, but he'll get over it, and he'll appreciate your honesty. But I would just make sure he's in a good mood at the time…"

"Eh? A good mood, Appa?"

"Yes. Your Uncle Yi Jeong may seem friendly, but he does have quite a temper…"

OK, you're scaring me now, Appa…

"Oh, don't get me wrong, So Yi Jeong is a kind man, but like I said he's extremely protective of his girls…"

Seok-Young nodded ultra-slowly, and some of the color had gone from his face.

Ji Hoo immediately read Seok-Young's anxious expression. He rose from his chair and laid a hand on his son's shoulder. "Don't worry, Son. Just tell him the truth, and he'll understand. That's the best thing you can do."

Seok-Young sighed. "Yes, Appa," and he looked up and smiled faintly at Ji Hoo. "Thank you, Appa."

Ji Hoo nodded and led his son out.


Seok-Young left his father's office, and Ji Hoo bid him goodbye, for he was called into surgery. As Seok-Young headed down the hall, his father's words reverberated in his mind. He would just tell Uncle Yi Jeong the truth and get it over with as soon as possible.

Seok-Young headed back to his aunt's room. He caught sight of Yi Jeong stepping out, and he asked to tag along. Seok-Young walked in stride with his elder.

"Uncle Yi Jeong, I'm so relieved that Aunt Ga Eul is OK!" he said, turning slightly toward Yi Jeong.

Yi Jeong sighed. "Yes, so am I, Seok-Young-ah, so am I…"

"And congratulations on the baby!" Seok-Young exclaimed.

Yi Jeong smiled widely and nodded, "Gomawo."

It seemed like as good a time as any... He's in a good mood now, Seok-Young thought…

And Seok-Young took a deep breath. "Uncle Yi Jeong…there's something I want to…talk to you about…no rush, though, just whenever you have some time…"

Yi Jeong stopped and gave Seok-Young his full attention. "I have time now. What is it, Yoon Seok-Young?"

"Well, um…," Oh, how do I say this…? Ahh, this is ridiculous! Just rip off the bandage!

"No need to be so nervous, Seok-Young-ah," Yi Jeong said, as he observed his nephew practically squirming like a worm on a hook.

Seok-Young chuckled awkwardly. And then he puffed out his cheeks, releasing a burst of air. "Well, I wanted to talk to you about…the girl I like…"

Yi Jeong nodded. That explains it… Seok-Young must feel shy talking about the girl he likes... "Ah, yes, what about her? I've never seen you like this, Yoon Seok-Young. She must be very beautiful to get you so worked up…," and Yi Jeong winked at Seok-Young.

Seok-Young fidgeted. "Well, yes…she is…," and he stared down at his feet.

"It's alright. Go on then, Seok-Young-ah… Can I help you with something?" Yi Jeong shoved his hands into the pockets of his coal black suit pants.

"Well, I um just wanted to ask…," Seok-Young glanced up at Yi Jeong again and shifted back and forth on his heels, "Oh, no never mind! I'm sorry to trouble you, Uncle Yi Jeong!" Seok-Young gave a nervous chuckle and turned to quickly walk off.

Yi Jeong's brow furrowed; he stared after the boy for a moment, shrugged, and turned to go back to Ga Eul's room.

As Seok-Young speedily strode down the hall of the hospital, he clenched his eyes shut and groaned. Oh, I'm such a coward!


Ga Eul remained in the hospital for another few days, just to ensure that everything was fine. She was finally able to go home with the new baby, but Jan Di had demanded that she take it easy.

Ga Eul returned home and was met by a large banner—created by the So, Goo, Song, and Yoon children—congratulating her and welcoming Byeong-Ho to the world and to their lives. They had also made one for Alex and Jong-Su.

Yi Jeong and the children helped out as much as they could—caring for Ga Eul and the baby, helping around the house, and making plenty of seawood soup, as well as bringing porridge from Master's shop. But Yi Jeong did have to work, so he'd also hired a private nurse to help out, despite Ga Eul's objections that it was unnecessary.


A few days later…

Seok-Young had yet to tell his uncle Yi Jeong about what had happened between Eun-Jeong and him, which he felt terrible about, despite Eun-Jeong's attempts at reassuring him. And they were both finding it difficult to garner the courage to tell everyone else, particularly their friends.

...

Seok-Young and Eun-Jeong stood together in the stairwell one morning before school, leaning against the balcony—and each other—for support, and attempting to formulate a clear plan. But they kept falling into the trap of keeping it a secret just a little…bit…longer…

"Well, I'm a bit worried about this because…well, I'll be having a sleepover with Mee-Yon, Yeong-Hui, Hye-Mi, and the Ju-Mi on Friday," Eun-Jeong informed Seok-Young.

"A sleepover, huh?"

"Yes. And at sleepovers…well, girls talk a lot…usually about boys…," she spoke the word as if it were taboo. And she turned from him, flushing lightly.

After a few seconds, she glanced back at Seok-Young, and he appeared a bit…worried. "You're not going to talk about…," he began.

Eun-Jeong shook her head, "Don't worry; I won't talk about you, Oppa, if that's what you're concerned about."

Still, it's OK to think about you right…? Eun-Jeong smiled to herself. Well, that one can't be helped…

Seok-Young breathed a very visible sigh of relief, and Eun-Jeong couldn't resist teasing him a bit. "I guess since I can't talk about you, then I'll just talk about the other boys I think are cute!" she exclaimed, clasping her hands together in mock enthusiasm.

"What?" Seok-Young scowled. "What other boys?"

And Eun-Jeong burst into laughter. She gave him a light shove on the arm. "Oh, Oppa, you make it way too easy!"

"Oh yeah…?" he gave her a mischievous grin and suddenly lunged at her. Eun-Jeong shrieked; she jumped back just in time and took off running. She dashed from side to side—giggling—but the space was very small and his reach was much longer, so he easily caught her. He grasped onto her wrist and pulled her into him, tickling her mercilessly.

"O-ppa…Op-pa, please…st-op! I…can't…br-eathe…!" she begged through short, ragged breaths and giggles.


The Yoon, So, Goo, and Song children had grown up together from birth. They were often together, so it was not uncommon for them to be playful with one another. Seok-Young, Eun-Jeong, and their siblings had often teased and even play-wrestled with one another growing up, even though Seok-Young had typically been the protector of the girls—fending off the other F4 boys when they were trying to torment the girls.

Seok-Young recalled one particular time when he was about 10. Eun-Jeong and Mee-Yon were hiding behind him, while the young F3 attempted to gang up on the girls. It usually took at least two of them to handle the tough and spunky Mee-Yon, anyway.

"Back off, Hyung. You can't protect them forever!" Jun-Seo urged. But Seok-Young held his ground and ended up teaming up with the girls on that occasion, despite the look of betrayal Jun-Seo, Il-Hun, and Jae-Jin gave him for siding with 'the enemy.'

That wasn't to say that Seok-Young hadn't gotten caught up in it a few times, though…

...


But now, Seok-Yeong and Eun-Jeong were quickly realizing that this kind of play and touching was not so innocent anymore—and not necessarily appropriate at their age. And upon realization of this, they stopped.

Seok-Young's hands had gone from torturous tickling of Eun-Jeong's stomach and sides to capturing her around the waist when she tried to escape. She now had her arms tightly wrapped around his neck—practically in a choke hold—and they were staring into each other's eyes.

"O-ppa…"

Eun-Jeong swallowed hard and loosened her hold, dropping her hands from his neck and resting them softly upon his shoulders. She pulled back slightly, to put some space between them, but Seok-Young's hands still lightly clung to her waist.

They gazed upon each other for another moment, still faintly catching their breath. And the tension was palpable. Seok-Young began to slowly lean in…

Eun-Jeong bit her lip and her eyes instinctively fluttered shut. As his lips approached hers, Seok-Young stopped, and he dropped his hands from her waist to his sides.

Eun-Jeong hesitantly opened her eyes when she felt nothing but air upon her lips, and then she noticed that he had removed his hands from her waist and stepped back, "Oppa…?" she questioned.

Seok-Young cleared his throat and shoved his hands into his pockets. "Eun-Jeong-ah, I really want to kiss you right now… But I think that I should talk to your parents first. I think I should get your appa's permission before anything else happens between us. I've been feeling sort of guilty about that... The kiss before…well, it was a spontaneous thing… I just…couldn't help myself...," he scoffed at himself, and Eun-Jeong blushed like mad.

Eun-Jeong glanced away, attempting to hide the flush upon her cheeks. After a few seconds, she turned back to him and nodded, "You're right, Oppa."

Eun-Jeong supposed that it was the best thing to do, even though she didn't like it so much. And she felt as thought she might go crazy waiting… But she figured that she needed to learn how to tame this feeling before it ran wild on her and she got herself into BIG trouble…

Would she ever be able to remain calm in her heart in Seok-Young's presence? It was amazing how she could feel so comfortable and at ease with someone, yet at the same time feel so out of control, as though she was completely unraveling from the inside-out…

...


Since Ga Eul was still recovering, and she and Alex had new babies at home, the So, Goo, Song, and Yoon girls had talked about having a sleepover at either the Song or Yoon house, which their parents all thought was a great idea.

Ji-Hye offered to have the girls over to the Song mansion since Jan Di and Ji Hoo always got up very early to go to the hospital, but Jan Di ensured that it was fine to have it at their place, saying, "The house is big enough that we won't be disturbed, and Ji Hoo sleeps like a rock anyway." But Ji-Hye insisted.

Eun-Jeong was rather relieved it would be at the Song household because she was not so sure she would feel comfortable running around Seok-Young's home in her jammies—which was silly, considering he'd seen her before in such attire. Then again, he hadn't since they were kids—and certainly not as her…boyfriend… But could she really call him that? She wondered. Their relationship was still unofficial, after all, at least until they cleared it with their parents.

And oh!—boyfriend or not—she did not relish the possibility of running into Seok-Young in the morning, a time when she was certainly not at her best, her hair all in disarray and stumbling around like a zombie…

Seok-Young was probably a morning person, Eun-Jeong imagined, like her eomma… Her eomma was always bright and cheerful in the morning, ready to embrace the new day with open arms—warm and glowing like the sun. But Eun-Jeong certainly was not.

Eun-Jeong had thought she was in the clear, but then Ji-Hye and Woo Bin were called away, so the sleepover was moved to the Yoon household after all. Eun-Jeong gave an inward groan.


Friday Night…

Jan Di and Ji Hoo had managed to get Friday night and Saturday off from the hospital, and Ji Hoo suggested they celebrate the extremely rare occasion by going on a date. Jan Di had reminded him that the girls were coming over, but he assured her that they were old enough to take care of themselves for a little while and that they wouldn't be completely alone anyway.

So, Jan Di agreed. She dressed in a sweater, skirt, tights, and boots and met him outside, for he had offered to pick her up for their date…

Ji Hoo was outside waiting for her—astride his bike, with helmet on—when Jan Di stepped out of the front door. She smiled. He handed Jan Di's helmet to her and gave her a lopsided grin, "Would my lady like to go for a ride?"

Jan Di smiled and nodded, as she took her helmet from him. She put it on and got on behind him, wrapping her arm snugly around his waist. "Where are we going?" she asked.

"Anywhere you'd like, my love. Just say the word, and I'll take you anywhere you wish to go…"

Jan Di sighed as she rested her head against Ji Hoo's leather jacket. It felt like old times, and Jan Di was immediately bathed in a tidepool of memories…


Jan Di recalled the first time she saw Ji Hoo pull up on his pristine snow white MV Agusta Superbike—which she only learned the name of later on—as she stood outside of Joon Pyo's mansion. She would have been glad to see him had it not been so humiliating, for she had just been kidnapped by Joon Pyo's goons, dragged to his home, and given a forced makeover—which Jun Pyo had taken extra effort to brag about how much money it cost.

After properly telling Jun Pyo off—that he could not buy friends with money—she'd walked out of the Goo household. But, she had stupidly forgotten to change into her own boots, and upon discovery of this, she had hurled the expensive heels over the wall of the mansion. It was at that precise moment that Ji Hoo happened to drive up, to find her standing there barefoot

"Oh, it's you again…," he said.

That's what I was thinking…, she thought, as her face twisted with embarrassment.

Ji Hoo and Jan Di had talked on a park bench after that, and she asked him if there was anything money couldn't buy. Ji Hoo had given it some thought and responded with, "Air."

"Oh, air, of course!" she chuckled.

And he smiled at her fondly and gave her hair a playful ruffle. "You're really a funny character," he said.

And then Ji Hoo had kindly tossed his own shoes to her to wear home before leaving…


Jan Di smiled, as she thought of the many pleasant memories with Ji Hoo on his bike: riding with him on their first date, him chauffeuring her around to various places, and—of course—there was the time he'd taken her home after they played piano together for the first time.

Jan Di had been very upset then because of Madam Kang, so she had been attempting to work out her frustrations at the pool. After a vigorous swim session, Jan Di wandered into the auditorium, following a beautiful piano melody on the breeze.

There, she had found Ji Hoo, playing a grand piano onstage under the bright lights. He had invited her onstage with him, suggesting that she turn the pages for him in exchange for a concert ticket.

Jan Di's mouth creased slightly at the memory. It was that night that she first dared to wrap her arms around his waist as he drove her home—it was warm and nice. Prior to then, she had only clung lightly to the sides of his jacket. And it was that same night when she first realized that Ji Hoo was and always would be there for her. That was the night he earned the title of her personal firefighter


It had been some time since Ji Hoo and Jan Di had been out together or had even spent any real quality time alone. "I missed this," she murmured.

The corners of Ji Hoo's mouth twitched, and he glanced back at her slightly over his shoulder, "Me too," he whispered.

Jan Di settled into him, nestling her cheek against the cool leather of his jacket—that so nicely complemented the warmth of his strong back—and she held him tighter. And the two drove off together into the night.


Meanwhile…

The girls' sleepover began lighthearted enough, with some basic conversation, music, and giggling over images of boys and videos, but as the night wore on—and with the introduction of various sugary substances—the silliness only began to increase.

It was just past 8 PM, and the girls were all gathered in Mee-Yon's room—some sitting on the floor and leaning against the bed listening to music, and others lying on her frilly cream and rose-colored comforter and messing around on their phones.

Mee-Yon and Eun-Jeong were talking together, while Hye-Mi, Ju-Mi, and Yeong-Hui were on their phones.

"Ya, Ju-Mi-ah, you didn't like my post yet!" Hye-Mi exclaimed.

Ju-Mi scoffed. "Well, unlike some people…I'm not on social media 24-7…"

Hye-Mi feigned hurt.

Ju-Mi rolled her eyes. "Oh, alright, I'll do it now…," she said, as she clicked the icon on her home screen.

"Gomawo, Ju-Mi-ah!"

"I'm honestly surprised your appa even lets you have an account, Song Hye-Mi," Yeong-Hui commented.

"Oh, well…he keeps tabs on it…," Hye-Mi groaned. "But really, what does he think is going to happen to me? I know that he always has at least a couple of his men watching me wherever I go, even if I don't always see them…" Hye-Mi sighed and fell back onto the bed. "Oh, I don't know how I'm ever going to date…"

"Hmm, I wonder if perhaps Uncle Woo Bin lets you have an account so he can keep track of what you're up to…," Yeong-Hui grinned.

Realization dawned clearly on Hye-Mi's face like a sunrise. "Ohh!" she exclaimed, "I never thought of that! I'll bet you're right!" she scowled and muttered, "That's so sneaky…"

The other girls laughed.

"Well, when your appa is the leader of the Song Clan, what do you expect? You are his little princess, after all," Yeong-Hui smirked.

"Yea, so just be careful of your activity on there, Hye-Mi-ah," Ju-Mi warned. Hye-Mi sighed. And each of the girls shared at least one or two stories about their protective appas…


"So, who here has been kissed by a boy?" Hye-Mi looked up from her phone and suddenly blurted out, "Show of hands?"

The room grew eerily silent—the air thick as molasses with the anticipation—as the girls looked all around the room and between each other, wondering which of them would confirm such an act. Hye-Mi was the first to raise her hand in response to her own question.

"Song Hye-Mi, you?!" Goo Ju-Mi exclaimed, her coral-colored mouth slightly agape. The Goo daughter had certainly not expected the youngest member of the group to have already kissed a boy at only age 11 ½.

"Well…," Hye-Mi raised a hand to and giggled, "…actually, it was just a forehead kiss." And then Hye-Mi went on to tell the story of her six-year-old crush and how one day he'd suddenly marched up to her on the playground, announced that he planned to marry her someday, and pressed a quick kiss to her forehead—before running off... "He didn't even let me answer, though. And he barely came near me after that…," Hye-Mi pouted, shaking her head. She recovered quickly, though, and was back on her phone again, fingers flying over the keys.

Ju-Mi rolled her eyes. "OK, has anyone kissed a boy for real, meaning on the lips?"

The room was silent again, aside from the soft, upbeat tempo of pop music in the background.

Ju-Mi turned to Yeong-Hui. "What about you, Yeong-Hui-ah…?" she smirked over at the So twin, "You seem to know a lot of guys…"

Yeong-Hui folded her arms tight across her chest. "Well, you're rather bold to speak to your unnie that way, Goo Ju-Mi. What are you suggesting, anyway?"

Ju-Mi gave a sheepish smile. "Nothing. That came out wrong. No insult meant, really! Mianhae, Unnie," and she gave a short bow.

"It's OK, I'll answer," Yeong-Hui replied, without batting an eye, "Yes, I know a lot of guys, but I've never kissed any of them." And then a devious grin crossed Yeong-Hui's lips; she turned to her twin, "…I haven't, but perhaps our Eun-Jeong-ah has…"

Eun-Jeong's eyes went wide, and she stared at her sibling with a look of utter shock and betrayal. Yeong-Hui apparently wanted to die, and she was tempted to make that happen for her… Or perhaps Yeong-Hui was simply misdirecting her revenge upon Ju-Mi at her own flesh and blood. Either way, she would pay for this later… Eun-Jeong scowled at her sibling.

Yeong-Hui seemed to realize her mistake immediately and begged with her eyes for forgiveness. But it was too late. The other three had already turned to look upon Eun-Jeong in unison, like ravenous wolves ready to attack. All, aside from Mee-Yon, who looked more confused than anything. There was no way that her best friend would kiss a guy and not tell her about it, after all…

Eun-Jeong glared icily at Yeong-Hui and then dropped her head. Yeong-Hui picked up her phone and texted an apology to Eun-Jeong. After a moment, Eun-Jeong cautiously raised her head again to discover four pairs of eyes upon her.

"Well…have you, Unnie?" Ju-Mi asked, curiously.

Yeong-Hui still looked sorrowful. Mee-Yon was at full attention, her curiosity also piqued. And Hye-Mi sat beside her, eyes sparkling and mouth watering for a juicy story—ready to bite into it as a big, red, tantalizing piece of forbidden fruit.

Eun-Jeong glanced around the room, and then shot straight up, "Um, excuse me! I…need to go to the bathroom!" she announced with a bit too much fervor. And Eun-Jeong rushed out of the room.

"OK, but when you come back you have to answer the question!" Ju-Mi called after her.


Eun-Jeong made her way up the spiral staircase in the middle of the Yoon mansion, as she pondered how to get out of this mess. Why did it suddenly feel like there were a million stairs? But that was OK. She was in no hurry to return…

Maybe I could fake being sick…, she thought, as she slinked down the hall toward the bathroom. And then she realizedthat she would need to pass Seok-Young's room to go to the bathroom. She continued on toward the bathroom but paused just outside Seok-Young's door.

It was completely quiet inside, and she wondered if he was even in there… And she was very tempted to knock and say hi to him, but she felt that she needed a good reason to do so—something more than I just wanted to say hi…


"What's taking Unnie so long…?" Ju-Mi inquired rhetorically.

"I hope she's not sick," Mee-Yon replied, worriedly.

"Hmm, I wonder if she is just avoiding my question?" Ju-Mi mused.

Just then, they all noticed Eun-Jeong's pale pink smartphone buzzing on the floor beside the bed. It lit up and then went dark agin.

"Hm, it seems that Unnie has gotten a message…I wonder who it could be from…," and Ju-Mi began to reach out for Eun-Jeong's phone. Yeong-Hui practically pounced on Eun-Jeong's phone befor Ju-Mi could reach it. She tucked it safely behind her back. "Don't be so evil, Goo Ju-Mi…"

"Yeah, a girl's phone is sacred, Ju-Mi-ah!" Hye-Mi added.

Ju-Mi sighed. "I know, I was just kidding. I wasn't really going to look. I wouldn't do that."

"Good," Yeong-Hui replied.

"But why were you so set on protecting her phone, Yeong-Hui Unnie?" Ju-Mi eyed the twin suspiciously.

Yeong-Hui scoffed. "No reason other than that my twin sister's privacy was about to be violated."

Ju-Mi pursed her lips. "Well, like I said, I wasn't really going to do it."

Yeong-Hui nodded. "Speaking of privacy, it's a good thing Ae-Jeong isn't here, or every word said would be reported back to our parents," she gave a wry smile.

The other girls chuckled and nodded.


When Eun-Jeong returned from the bathroom, everyone was staring at her. But they didn't bring up the subject of the kiss but were instead more interested in who had just texted her. Eun-Jeong didn't know why they were all so interested. Did they think she had no other friends besides them?

Yeong-Hui handed over Eun-Jeong's phone, "Don't worry. We didn't look," she explained. Eun-Jeong thanked her and nonchalantly walked across the room; she glanced behind her at the group before pulling up the message.

A soft smile crossed her lips when she saw that it was from the person she desperately hoped—yet also dreaded—it was from, Seok-Young.

His text said: "Thinking of you… You seem so close, yet so far away…" He'd stuck in a teary-eyed face after that. "I hope you are having fun." And he'd added a smiley face after that.

Eun-Jeong's smile grew wider—she could barely contain its size—and she remained turned away from the group, staring down at the message and re-reading it several times to herself.

Do you know how incredibly cute you are, Yoon Seok-Young? And not to mention how incredibly bold, to send me something like this while I'm here in the lion's den!

If the others had seen that, she would surely never have lived it down. But she believed what Yeong-Hui had said, that they hadn't looked.

Eun-Jeong sighed. Oh, the things you do to me, Oppa…

And she'd wanted to respond, but she didn't want to do so while with the others. But that didn't stop her from considering how she would have replied. Perhaps she would have said that she was thinking of him, too… Perhaps she would have even flirted a little, asking him if he was feeling lonely…and admitting that she wished she could keep him company… There were too many possible responses, and each second she thought about them would add to the group's suspicion exponentially.

Eun-Jeong shut her eyes tight and bit down on her lip. She opened her eyes again and then turned back to the group. They were all watching and waiting, expectantly.

"Well, who was it from, Unnie?" Hye-Mi asked, her eyes sparkling with curiosity, "Your lover perhaps?" Hye-Mi clasped her hands together and batted her eyelashes. And Eun-Jeong gaped at her.

Ju-Mi laughed and gave Hye-Mi a little shove on the arm. Yeong-Hui stared down at her hands in her lap, and Mee-Yon shook her head, chuckling lightly.

"Perhaps it was Hyun-Joo Sunbae, still trying to win over Unnie…," Hye-Mi suggested.

"No, nothing like that," Eun-Jeong did her best to remain casual, "It was my eomma, actually. She was just checking in."

Eun-Jeong was a horrible liar, and even the smallest fib caused a twinge in her stomach, but the group seemed to buy it. Hye-Mi looked slightly disappointed, but they went back to what they had been doing. And Eun-Jeong released a sigh of relief out of their sight.


Eun-Jeong was relieved when they didn't press her further. And the conversation shifted to other topics…

During the course of the night, the F4 daughers engaged in the typical sleepover activities: beauty treatments, scanning newsfeed articles, listening to music, and of course, covering many of the girlish topics, like: who was your first crush/is your current crush, have you gotten a love letter before, etc…

And somehow, Eun-Jeong managed to skillfully avoid the more embarrassing topics for her.

Presently, they were all just lounging about, and Hye-Mi began to run her fingers through Ju-Mi's luxurious curls. "I'm so envious of your hair, Ju-Mi-ah," she commented.

"Gomawo."

"Could I straighten it, Ju-Mi-ah, just for fun?" Hye-Mi asked.

"You can try," Ju-Mi smirked over her shoulder. "It doesn't straighten easily. I got my appa's naturally curly hair."

Hye-Mi decided to attempt it. And the girls took turns doing hair and makeup for each other. Mee-Yon wanted Yeong-Hui to do her makeup, asking that she keep it simple. And Eun-Jeong allowed Hye-Mi to do her hair after Ju-Mi's—which she managed to straighten successfully after some time, and the girls were in awe of how nice it looked that way, too.

"Can I dye your hair, Mee-Yon Unnie?" Hye-Mi asked.

"Dye it?!" Mee-Yon shook her head rapidly. "Oh, no, no, no..."

"Whyyy?" Hye-Mi whined.

Mee-Yon's brow furrowed, "Because I like my natural color."

"What color do you want to dye Mee-Yon's hair, Hye-Mi-ah?" Eun-Jeong asked.

Hye-Mi thought for a moment. "Hmm, maybe I could dye it red to match her appa and oppa!"

All but Mee-Yon giggled. "Um, no, thank you. Appa and Oppa have very nice hair, but I think I'll stick with my natural color," Mee-Yon asserted.

Hye-Mi pouted for only a moment before setting her sights upon Eun-Jeong. "What about you, Eun-Jeong Unnie? Can I dye your hair?"

Eun-Jeong's jaw dropped slightly. "What, no!"

"I won't dye it red. Maybe some other color for you…," she suggested, as she dug around in her handbag.

"Like, what color?"

"Hmm, maybe blonde!"

"Blonde?!" Eun-Jeong exclaimed. And the others all giggled, as they pictured Eun-Jeong with golden hair.

"Do you just carry around various colors of hair dye with you, Hye-Mi-ah?" Yeong-Hui snickered.

"No, but I have some samples!" she pulled out a package with a fair-skinned blonde western woman on it.

Eun-Jeong shook her head and indicated further with her eyes that it was not going to happen.

"Oh, fine…you're no fun…," Hye-Mi whined.

"You can curl my hair, though, if you want to, Hye-Mi," Eun-Jeong offered. Hye-Mi's face lit up and she agreed. And Hye-Mi started singing "Crush" at the top of her lungs, while she wielded the curling iron.

"That song's pretty old," Mee-Yon commented.

"I don't care. I like it."

"Yes, it is a good song, though," Mee-Yon replied.

...

After Hye-Mi finished with her creations, the girls commented on the irony of how Ju-Mi's hair was now perfectly straight, and Eun-Jeong's typically pin-straight hair was now cascading down her back in loose, rolling waves.

And then, Hye-Mi began digging around in her purse again; she pulled out some facial samples. Hye-Mi suggested facials all around, which her slumber party companions were much more amenable to than the hair dying, and they took turns giving each other facial treatments.


...

"So, do you still want to be in F4, Mee-Yon-ah?" Yeong-Hui asked, as Mee-Yon dabbed away the remaining moisturizing cream from her face.

She nodded. "Mm, but Goo Jun-Seo says I can't."

"Why can't you? Your oppa is the leader isn't he?"

"Well, yes, but he doesn't really care about it that much. And I think Jun-Seo really wants to take over the club."

"Why don't we just form our own F4!" Ju-Mi suggested.

"Yes, great idea!" Yeong-Hui readily agreed. "But it can't be F4 because there are 5 of us…"

"F5?" Hye-Mi asked.

"No, can't be that. It needs to be something original. Besides, we're not flower boys," Yeong-Hui laughed.

"Oh, right, so that's what it stands for…," Hye-Mi gave an embarrassed laugh.

They tossed out some name ideas but couldn't come up with a suitable one, so they decided to keep thinking on it...

"And, for our first order of business as…oh, whatever we're going to call ourselves…I think we should play truth or dare!" Hye-Mi exclaimed.


The girls agreed, though Eun-Jeong did so reluctantly, and Mee-Yon obtained a bottle for them to use for deciding whose turn it was. Yeong-Hui was selected first by the spinning bottle, and she chose Hye-Mi, asking her to tell of an embarrassing moment.

Song Hye-Mi considered for a moment. "Ooo, I got one!"

"OK, go ahead, Hye-Mi-ah," Yeong-Hui replied.

"Well, one time I was in my room, with the door closed, and I was dancing to Big Bang and rapping into my hairbrush along with G-Dragon and T.O.P. and then…," she paused for dramatic effect, "…my appa walked in!" She gave a horrified expression.

And the girls all laughed.

"And then my appa wanted to join me, and he started dancing and rapping, too!"

The girls burst into even more raucous laughter at picturing the Mafia Prince rapping into a hairbrush.

"I think that's more embarrassing for Uncle Woo Bin actually, Hye-Mi-ah," Ju-Mi smirked.

Hye-Mi nodded. "Yea… Well, Appa has some pretty good dance moves, though. Must be from all the club-hopping he used to do… And his voice isn't so bad, either…"

Mee-Yon giggled, "Did you also ask him which one was his favorite member?"

"I didn't, but has to be G-Dragon!" For, he was Hye-Mi's favorite, and surely her father would have the same favorite as her.

Then, Hye-Mi took her turn, and she chose Mee-Yon, who she asked to tell a secret.

Mee-Yon thought for a moment, and then she admitted that she still slept with the stuffed otter that her appa had sent her as a baby when he was in the military.

"I know I'm too old for it," she said, glancing down, "But it means a lot to me… Even though I was very young at the time, I feel like I really missed Appa back then…and my otter smelled like him… And it comforted me, still does…"

Mee-Yon poked out her cheeks. "There it is. Go ahead; let's have it. Call me a daddy's girl or a baby or whatever if you want…," she dared the group, "I'm fine with it. I'm proud to be my daddy's girl, anyway, and always will be…"

But instead of the heckling that Mee-Yon expected, the other girls were simply looking at her, adoringly. A few awws were even emitted.

"That's really sweet, actually. I think I might cry…," Ju-Mi said.

"Ya! Don't make fun, Ju-Mi-ah…," Mee-Yon muttered.

"I'm not! I'm serious. That's adorable… You know, one time my appa brought a doll back for me from Macau, and even though I didn't really like dolls I loved this one because it was from Appa…and he brought it back especially for me from a distant land," Ju-Mi smiled wistfully. "That made it special."

"You know, I think Mee-Yon-ah has cracked through Goo Ju-Mi's tough outer shell to reveal the creamy center inside," Yeong-Hui grinned.

"Ya!" Ju-Mi exclaimed, but then she smiled faintly.

"Ju-Mi-ah is really a very nice person," Mee-Yon asserted, "She just doesn't always show it…"

Ju-Mi smiled faintly. "Ooo, is this it?" she exclaimed, upon seeing the stuffed animal peeking out from underneath Mee-Yon's pillow. Ju-Mi snatched it from its hiding place and held it.

"Yes, and be careful with him!" Mee-Yon shouted. "He's kind of starting to fall apart..."

"I'll say," Ju-Mi looked down at the ragged otter and turned it over in her hands. Mee-Yon scowled at her, and then put on a pout. Ju-Mi softened like warm butter and returned the otter, "Sorry."

Mee-Yon eagerly took her precious belonging back and hugged the stuffed creature tight against her chest, while poking out her lip. "The stuffing's coming out of his ears a little…," she spoke sullenly, as she attempted to tuck the fluff back inside.

Ju-Mi smiled. "But he's still awesome. The loss of stuffing comes with age and love, but I'm sure he can be repaired."

Mee-Yon smiled and nodded. And the girls all agreed that gifts from their appas were indeed the best ones.

And they continued with their game, with most of the girls choosing truth, but there were a couple dares—to call or text a crush, and to perform a few silly stunts.


When Ju-Mi was selected, she asked Mee-Yon to say who her first love was. Mee-Yon glanced down, and Eun-Jeong's face wrenched in sadness.

"Goo Ju-Mi!" Yeong-Hui chastised. "Mee-Yon just had her heart broken by her first love…," she added in a harsh whisper.

"Ohh, Unnie, mianhada! I wasn't thinking…that was so insensitive of me!" Ju-Mi lamented.

"It's OK. I'm fine," Mee-Yon put on a smile, but the group was looking at her as if the world had come to an end.

"Really, I'm over Park Jung-Ho now," Mee-Yon assured. "I just thought that he was cool and nice-looking, and we had swimming in common… But he…wasn't the guy I thought he was… Once I told myself that, I was able to get over it."

"Unnie…," Hye-Mi mumbled sadly and hugged Mee-Yon's arm.

"Well, personally I wanted to strangle that jerk Park Jung-Ho so bad!" Ju-Mi exclaimed.

"Yea, me too! I wanted to punch his stupid face!" Hye-Mi joined in the onslaught, rising from her seat. "And my appa taught me some moves, so I could have easily knocked him into next century!" the Song girl put up her dukes. "I might have, too—next time I saw him—if Oppa hadn't beaten me to it."

Eun-Jeong and Yeong-Hui went to Mee-Yon and each put a hand on one of her shoulders. Mee-Yon smiled faintly at her friends' loyalty and was silent. She still wondered about that whole situation.

"Yes, I'm so glad that Seok-Young Oppa gave it to Park Jung-Ho good!" Yeong-Hui professed.

"And I'm so glad my appa suspended him," Ju-Mi added. "He deserved it. Glad Oppa didn't get into much trouble for hitting."

The girls had decided not to mention the horrible things that Jung-Ho had said about Mee-Yon and her eomma that had led to the punch he took from Seok-Young. Mee-Yon only vaguely knew that Park Jung-Ho had run his mouth and Seok-Young had hit him, but when Mee-Yon pressed further with anyone, they simply changed the subject on her.

"And I hear that your eomma got back at Coach Park, too, huh Mee-Yon-ah? Everyone was talking about how Aunt Jan Di pushed Coach Park into the swimming pool…," Yeong-Hui interjected.

Mee-Yon pursed her lips and nodded. "Yeah, that's what I heard. I missed it, though." Talk of that had persisted for a little while, and she was glad it was dying down. She really just wanted to forget about the whole thing.

The girls all nodded, aside from Mee-Yon, who still had the touch of a frown upon her face. Eun-Jeong looked to Mee-Yon worriedly and squeezed her shoulder. Mee-Yon turned to her best friend and smiled.

"Oh, and thank goodness that Jun-Seo Oppa was at the dance!" Hye-Mi added. The others nodded.

"So, Jun-Seo really stood up for you and even took you to the dance after that, Mee-Yon-ah?" Yeong-Hui asked, incredulous.

Mee-Yon nodded and her smile grew slightly at the recollection of the night of the dance. She really had a good time with Jun-Seo. And despite his initial objections, he'd agreed to having a picture of the two of them taken together that night, which she still had on her phone.

"You know, your oppa is not so bad, Ju-Mi-ah… He can be kind of…sweet…when he wants to be…," Mee-Yon said.

"SweetMy oppa?" Ju-Mi raised a brow. "No, forgive me, but I think you mean your oppa, Unnie."

Mee-Yon shook her head. "No, no, I was talking about yours."

"Whooooooo!" Hye-Mi, and Yeong-Hui shrieked. "Mee-Yon-ah thinks that Goo Jun-Seo is sweet…"

Mee-Yon rolled her eyes, but there was a hint of a blush upon her cheeks. "Shhh," Mee-Yon cautioned, raising a finger to her lips, "My great-grandfather is sleeping…"

The girls nodded, stifling their laughter with their hands and pillows.

"I still can't believe my oppa did that for Mee-Yon Unnie," Ju-Mi commented.

"Well, maybe Jun-Seo Oppa has a little crush on his noona…," Hye-Mi put a hand up to her cheek and whispered.

"No, no, he was just being nice…," Mee-Yon replied, looking away.

"Jun-Seo, nice?" Yeong-Hui grinned. "We are talking about the same Goo Jun-Seo, right?"

"Yes, that one," Mee-Yon chuckled.

"Hmm, maybe it is Unnie who has the crush on Jun-Seo Oppa…?" Hye-Mi suggested, placing a finger upon her chin.

And apparently the merciless teasing would persist that night…

"No way!" Mee-Yon exclaimed and then quickly covered upon realizing her volume. "…I just thought it was nice what he did and brave of him to stand up to a boy 3 years older than him…," she spoke more softly.

Ju-Mi shook her head. "Yes, Hye-Mi-ah, that's dumb. My oppa is too young for Unnie. And besides, I believe that Unnie can do much better than my oppa."

Hye-Mi, Yeong-Hui, and Eun-Jeong laughed. Mee-Yon shook her head, smiling faintly.

"Well, he's not that much younger, only two years. Maybe when Jun Seo Oppa is older and matures a little—well, a lot—" the girls all laughed. "…he and Mee-Yon Unnie will get together!" Hye-Mi exclaimed. And Mee-Yon smacked her on the arm.

"Oww, Unnie…," Hye-Mi whined.

"Mianhae, Hye-Mi…," Mee-Yon muttered.


The girls continued on the topic of brothers, ranting about the annoying things they did and gossiping a bit about them. Mee-Yon felt bad about it, but she was rather relieved that the heat was temporarily off her.

"Well, I think my oppa beats all of yours in being a pain," Ju-Mi insisted, "My oppa is pure evil…"

All but Mee-Yon snickered. "Oh, Ju-Mi-ah, you don't mean that…," Mee-Yon shook her head.

"Yes, I do," she insisted, and Ju-Mi began to tell stories of tricks Jun-Seo had played on her to back up that belief.

"Well, I suppose all sisters think their brothers are evil at some point," Mee-Yon chuckled.

"Not you, Mee-Yon-ah," Ju-Mi countered, "You adore your oppa…"

Mee-Yon smiled. "Yes, well, that's because my oppa is the best! He's always been there for me, and we talk about everything…"

A small smile also tugged at the corner of Eun-Jeong's mouth, and she bit her lip lightly, thinking of Seok-Young.

"Well, that's just not normal, Unnie…," Ju-Mi teased, and Mee-Yon gave her a light shove.

"Yea, you two are freakishly linked…," Yeong-Hui commented, "You'd think you were twins."

"Freakishly?" Mee-Yon gaped. "Well, I wouldn't say that…," she chuckled.

"I think it's sweet," Hye-Mi inserted.

They all nodded.

"And Seok-Young Oppa is pretty great, except his concerts are loooong…," Hye-Mi added.

Mee-Yon frowned. "Hye-Mi-ah… Well, I guess they are a little bit long sometimes, but he plays so beautifully, doesn't he?"

"Oh, yes of course he does, Unnie!" Hye-Mi vigorously nodded her head.

Ju-Mi and Yeong-Hui also agreed. "Oppa does play beautifully, but his concerts are really long, Unnie, and we are expected to go to every one unless we have another event. And he does have a lot of them. Mianhae, Unnie," Ju-Mi added.

Eun-Jeong felt suddenly defensive. "Ya, you shouldn't say things like that!" she spoke, louder than she'd intended.

The group grew silent. Ju-Mi's eyes widened and even Mee-Yon looked shocked.

"Unnie…?" Hye-Mi muttered, confused.

Eun-Jeong's brow furrowed. It was obvious they were all waiting for some kind of explanation, though it was clear that they felt bad.

"You should be ashamed of yourselves…," Eun-Jeong muttered, folding her arms and glancing away.

"Mianhae, Unnie," Ju Mi replied, "But we were just making fun of our oppas a little, like we always do… And that's a perfectly natural thing, isn't it?"

"Yea, we didn't mean to upset you. Mianhae…," Hye-Mi lowered her head in shame.

Eun-Jeong sighed. "It's OK…but…well, I just think that you should have more respect for Oppa…," she grumbled, tightening her self-bear hug. "Seok-Young Oppa has always been there for you two…for all of us…"

They all nodded and bowed their heads in shame. Even Mee-Yon felt as though she was guilty of something.

To ease the tension in the room, Hye-Mi decided to change the subject. "Well…," she laughed awkwardly, "Let's not talk about our oppas anymore... Let's talk about…," she pulled out a magazine with a photo insert inside. "Aidan!"

The girls oohed and ahhed over a poster of the pop star Aidan and some scattered photos of him throughout an article. Eun-Jeong hung back slightly, looking over Mee-Yon's shoulder but making no comments.

The article displayed images and a story of a 16-year-old half-Korean, half-American fraternal twin pop duo—born in South Korea but currently residing in the United States. Their Korean names were Dae-Seong and Nari, but they went by Aidan and Aria in the US.


"Oh, isn't Aidan sooo cute?! He's so exotic looking…," Hye-Mi squealed, tearing the magazine away and laying back on Mee-Yon's bed, clutching it against her chest. "If you want to know my crush, that's him!"

The girls protested that they could no longer see, and Hye-Mi returned to sharing it again.

And Mee-Yon, Yeong-Hui, and Ju-Mi all dreamily agreed, while Eun-Jeong remained silent. When they looked to her for validation, she simply smiled and nodded. When that didn't seem good enough, and they were all staring at her dumbfounded, Eun-Jeong added, "Yeah, he is definitely cute."

"His sister is really beautiful, too," Mee-Yon commented.

They all nodded.

"Yeah, just look at Aria's skin, absolutely perfect!" Hye-Mi exclaimed.

"Mm," the girls all agreed.

"Oh, and I'd kill for her blue eyes!"

"You have beautiful eyes, Hye-Mi; they twinkle like little stars… You shouldn't covet another's…," Mee-Yon interjected.

"Aww, Unnie…," Hye-Mi replied, placing a hand over her heart. Mee-Yon smiled at her.

"I think Aria looks a bit like you, Ju-Mi," Hye-Mi said.

And Ju-Mi looked closer. "I don't know, maybe a little. But she's half American, and I'm only one-quarter."

And they all continued reading through the article. Hye-Mi held up a finger as if she'd had a sudden thought, "Omo! I think Mee-Yon Unnie and Seok-Young Oppa have a relationship just like the pop stars Aria and Aidan!" Hye-Mi pointed out a quote from Aidan in the article, in which he described he and his twin sister as: 'inseparable, always depending on one another, and the best of friends.'

"Oh yeah, that does sound a bit like our Mee-Yon and Seok-Young…," Ju-Mi replied.

"Omo, it says here that Aria and Aidan are going to be returning to South Korea in February for a tour! They were born here, but they have been living in the US for most of their lives, so this would be their first Korean tour!" Mee-Yon exclaimed.

"I know, and it's only one month away! I have to go!" Hye-Mi squealed.

"I already know that they'll be touring here. Actually, I get to meet them," Ju-Mi spoke haughtily.

"What?!" the other girls shouted out, practically in harmony.

"You're joking!" Hye-Mi grasped onto Ju-Mi by the shoulders and shook her. "I must meet him, too, Ju-Mi-ah! Pleeeeasssee!"

"Well, could you…first…stop…choking me, please…"

"Mianhada! Mianhada, Ju-Mi-ah!"

Ju-Mi rubbed her neck and smirked over at Hye-Mi. "Don't worry, Hye-Mi-ah, you'll get to meet them. You all will. They want to meet all of our families. And they are going to be staying with us for a little while…," Ju-Mi added.

Hye-Mi screamed, and the others gasped.

"You're…going to be…under the same roof…as Aidan?!" Hye-Mi spoke breathlessly.

Ju-Mi nodded, grinning in satisfaction.

"Ohh, you're so lucky! But how will you manage to concentrate?"


After finishing the article, the girls remembered that they had stopped right in the middle of the truth-or-dare game. So, they decided to pick it up. On the next spin, the bottle landed on Ju-Mi again, and she turned to Eun-Jeong, asking 'truth-or-dare.' Eun-Jeong chose truth, and Ju-Mi asked who Eun-Jeong's first love was.

"Um, well, I…," Eun-Jeong stammered, "I changed my mind, dare!" she exclaimed.

"OK. Then, I dare you to…," Ju-Mi pondered for a moment, "go up to Seok-Young Oppa's room, knock on the door, and…tell him you like him and…serenade him with a love song!"

Eun-Jeong's lips parted and her eyes went wide, "What?!

The others' reactions were a mixture of shock and amusement at Ju-Mi's insane dare. Yeong-Hui glanced over at her clearly uncomfortable sister.

"It'll be funny to see Oppa's reaction. I bet he gets freaked out," Ju-Mi explained.

Yeong-Hui's brow wrinkled. "Oh, that's no good, Ju-Mi," she interjected, "You should come up with a better one than that…"

"Yeah, Ju-Mi-ah, that's crazy, and it sounds like more than one dare to me," Mee-Yon added.

"Oh, come on! I want to see Oppa's face!" Ju-Mi argued.

"Me too!" Hye-Mi joined in. Mee-Yon opened to speak, but she was at a loss..

Yeong-Hui glanced to Eun-Jeong again—her eyes were flitting back and forth and she looked absolutely horrified. A swell of sisterly loyalty churned within Yeong-Hui, and she suddenly felt the need to protect her twin. "Ya, let me do the dare for her!" Yeong-Hui offered.

"What? Why would you do it?" Ju-Mi asked.

"It'll be better if I do," she explained.

"Why?"

"Because…," Yeong-Hui thought quickly on her feet, "I'm a much better singer and actor than Eun-Jeong, so it'll be funnier and the confession will be much more believable..."

Eun-Jeong looked to her twin, surprised—she blinked a few times and then smiled her appreciation. Yeong-Hui returned with a warm one back.

"No, no, it's Eun-Jeong's dare," Ju-Mi persisted.

"Don't make Eun-Jeong do that," Mee-Yon jumped in.

"Well, she can either do it or answer the question," Ju-Mi crossed her arms.

"That's so mean, Ju-Mi-ah…," Mee-Yon replied. But Ju-Mi was holding firm. She crossed her arms and waited for Eun-Jeong's answer.

And Eun-Jeong suddenly stood up. "OK, I'll do it."

...


Eun-Jeong made her way toward Seok-Young's room, her palms growing increasingly sweaty with each step she took. She wasn't quite sure why, but as she made her way down the long hallway—thinking of the task at hand—she felt her legs going to jelly.

She arrived at Seok-Young's door. The other girls gathered around the corner, watching and stifling giggles. Eun-Jeong sighed. She raised her hand to knock, thankful in that moment that she had chosen to wear one of her cuter, more sensible—meaning less dorky—pairs of pajamas, in case of any such run-ins with Seok-Young.

And she knocked.

After a few seconds, Seok-Young opened the door in plain light gray pajama bottoms and t-shirt. "Eun-Jeong-ah, what…?"

Eun-Jeong glanced back toward the group, and the girls quickly hid themselves. Seok-Young glanced around her, catching the faintest glimpse of a head and arm disappearing behind the wall. He slipped his hands into his pockets and waited for her to say something.

But she couldn't seem to form words…

There Eun-Jeong was—standing before the boy she was completely crazy about—trembling and making a complete fool of herself. And there he was, calm and looking absolutely perfect, of course…

"Are you OK?" he asked.

"Mm," and with a shake of her head, she bolstered her courage. "Oppa…I…I…," she spoke shakily, "I…I…," she continued to stammer. She gave a quick glance to the spectators over her shoulder before turning back to Seok-Young decisively, "I like you, Oppa!" she blurted out. Seok-Young's eyes went slightly wide, and he looked upon her in confusion.

He already knew that she liked him, but now it appeared that she was professing that in front of an audience. "Eun-Jeong-ah…what's going on? What are you doing…?" he whispered, as he glanced around her to catch a glimpse of the others—who were quite poorly attempting to conceal themselves. And the girls quickly jumped back behind the wall.

Eun-Jeong gave no response, but she simply stared at him. And it seemed as though she had suddenly lost the ability to form words, let alone sing. She needed a song—any song—but none were coming to mind…

Eun-Jeong finally settled on one—and the only song she could think of at the moment was the one Uncle Ji Hoo had taught her.

Quivering, Eun-Jeong began to softly sing…

"…I'm really…very foolish…"

That's for sure

She continued timidly on. "…I know of no one other than you…"

Seok-Young was gazing upon her, listening intently as she sang to him. Eun-Jeong hesitated, and Seok-Young gave her a sweet smile, which boosted her confidence. Her voice and confidence grew stronger as she continued, and she managed to make it through the first verse and the chorus.

And she continued on…

After three verses and two choruses, Eun-Jeong belted out a final, "Baby, I love you; I'm waiting for you!" and then rushed off—before Seok-Young could say a word—past the other girls, who were standing there and staring, in stunned silence.

Eun-Jeong returned to Mee-Yon's room. She flopped onto her best friend's bed and buried her face in a pillow. Slowly, the others trickled in. Eun-Jeong removed the pillow from her face and sat up when she heard them enter. She waited for them to make their snide comments, but all they really had to say was how beautiful the song was and how nice her voice was. And then, they simply dropped it.


Nearly one hour later…

The F4 girls had decided to watch a horror movie. They fired the movie up, but when they got too scared, they decided to ask Seok-Young Oppa to come and watch with them, for protection.

They initially asked Mee-Yon to make the request of her brother, but Mee-Yon refused to disturb him further. But the others persisted and they voted for Eun-Jeong to go and ask him, claiming she was the one of them he was second closest to.

Eun-Jeong pretended to be upset. "You guys have some nerve!" she gave an irritable scoff. "After what you made me do before, you're actually suggesting I go to Oppa's room again and ask him to watch a movie with us?!"

The girls looked on sheepishly. It did seem a bit unfair of them.

Eun-Jeong folded her arms and turned away from them. She paused for a moment. "Fine, I'll do it," and she turned up her nose in mock indignation and waltzed out of the room.


Eun-Jeong approached Seok-Young's door—for the second time that night—with trepidation. On one hand, she was bursting with joy at getting the opportunity to see him again and at the notion of watching a movie with him. Though, her ideal scenario wouldn't involve the other four girls being present…

On the other hand, she was still reeling from the humiliation of serenading him less than an hour ago, and then there was the anticipated embarrassment of requesting that he join a bunch of younger girls for a movie at a slumber party.

Eun-Jeong once again raised a hand to the heavy wooden door. She poised it there for a few seconds, prepared to knock. She paused and pressed her ear and cheek against the door. And then she raised her hand again, but before she could rap on the door, it suddenly opened. Eun-Jeong's eyes went wide, and she lost her footing, falling clumsily against Seok-Young. Naturally, he caught her, and he held her there for an extra few seconds. "Well, well, annyeong…," he whispered coolly.

Her eyes grew wide. "A-n-ann-yeong, Oppa…," she muttered back. He smiled down at her and set her on her feet again.

Seok-Young grinned widely. "I didn't want to mention it before in front of the others, but your hair looks really pretty like that," he commented, as he reached out to run a hand through her sleek, loose curls.

"Gomawo," she cast her eyes to her feet.

Seok-Young smiled and leaned breezily against the frame of his door. "So, how goes the slumber party?"

"Oh, fine. It's, you know, the usual thing…," she replied, digging her toe into the flooring.

"No, I don't know," he laughed. "But I can imagine."

She looked at him sheepishly.

"So, what brings you to my door again? Here to sing another love song for me?" he grinned at her.

Eun-Jeong groaned. She shoved his arm and looked away. Of course he would torture her about it…

She had planned to apologize to him for the song, but perhaps she wouldn't now if he was going to be so smug…

She turned back to him and fixed him with a glare—in order to fully express her dissatisfaction. Seok-Young stared back at her—wondering what she was thinking right now—with the hint of a smile upon his lips. She was probably thinking she wanted to kill him for his remark…

But he made it very difficult for her to maintain her withering stare when he looked at her the way he was—or when he looked at her at all, for that matter…

Seok-Young suddenly laughed. "I'm sorry, Eun-Jeong-ah. That was mean. Forgive me?" and he reached out to lay a hand upon her arm, caressing it lightly.

Eun-Jeong was immediately putty. Oh, how she hated that!

Eun-Jeong swallowed hard. "Oppa, I'm so sorry about the song…," she muttered, "It was a dare, that's all…," and she glanced away again, her cheeks warming like freshly baked bread.

"I figured it was something like that… And it's OK," he said, as he tucked his hands into the pockets of his heather gray lounge pants. And then he flashed her that beautiful smile of his.

Eun-Jeong bit her lip lightly and glanced away. "I…hope it wasn't too embarrassing or annoying for you… Don't worry, I plan to make them pay for it…," she mumbled bitterly—her eyes wild, as thoughts of vengeance danced through her head.

Seok-Young grinned. "No, it wasn't. That's sweet of you to be concerned about me," he grinned, "But I was more concerned that you would be embarrassed…"

Eun-Jeong dropped her head and flushed a brighter shade.

"Oh, please don't feel embarrassed, Eun-Jeong-ah! I liked the song. In fact, I loved it. It was really beautiful…"

"Really?"

Seok-Young glanced around her down the hall for a moment before venturing his finger to her chin and gently lifting it. "Yes, really," he gazed into her eyes. "It was really nice hearing you sing to me and hearing those words from you… Was it really just the dare, or did that have some meaning?" And he began to run his finger along her cheek, sending a shockwave throughout her body, as if she'd been suddenly dunked into ice cold water—only it was pleasant, very, very pleasant. She felt herself lean into his touch and inexplicably sigh.

But she quickly returned to her senses. She released her breath, and going against all the current demands of her body, she pushed his hand away—this was a very dangerous situation, after all. "Oppa, stop it…not here...we're going to get caught!" she whispered, as she glanced warily over her shouler.

Seok-Young exhaled and nodded. He dropped his hand to his side and tucked it safely away in his pocket again—where it couldn't get them into trouble—and he willed himself not to touch her again, despite the temptation. She was right; anyone could come down the hall at any given moment…

"So…," he cleared his throat, "was there something you wanted, Eun-Jeong-ah?" he asked.

"Well, yes, actually… Umm," she flushed lightly, "…Well, we're going to watch a horror movie, and the other girls are scared, so…they wanted me to ask if you would…watch with us and…sorta…protect us…," she said, looking away.

Seok-Young chuckled. "Protect you, huh? Well, I suppose I could…," he began, but then a playful smirk crossed his lips. "Wait, you said the other girls are scared and want protection from me…but what about you?"

Eun-Jeong growled in frustration. Oh, was he really going to torment her further? After all her humiliation that night, was he really going to prolong her suffering?

Eun-Jeong hemmed and hawed, "Well, I'm not really all that scared," and she folded her arms tight across her chest.

"Oh, so you don't need my protection then?" he raised a brow.

She shook her head, "Nope!"

"Ok then… Well, maybe I have things to do…," he grinned and pretended to go back into his room. Eun-Jeong caught him by the arm, and he turned back to her.

Eun-Jeong exhaled sharply. "Why do you have to make things so difficult, Oppa? Isn't it enough that I already told you I liked you and sang a love song to you in front of my closest friends? And then I was asked to come here again and make this request of you… What more do you want from me, Oppa? What do you need to hear, that I want you to watch the movie with us? Is that what you need to hear, Oppa?" she exclaimed in frustration, moisture building behind her eyes. And she turned away from him again.

Seok-Young was taken aback. His brow furrowed and he tightened his mouth. Then, he placed a hand upon Eun-Jeong's arm to turn her back to him. He moved both hands to her shoulders. Resting his hands upon her shouders, he looked down into her eyes, saying, "I'm sorry, Eun-Jeong-ah. You're absolutely right. Please don't be upset with me. I don't need to hear anything more. I was only joking around. I do that too much sometimes, and I'm sorry. But all you had to do was ask me. You know that you can ask just about anything of me, and I'll do it for you. I'll watch the movie with you. I want to watch the movie with you."

She gazed upon his troubled face—one which shone with the fear that she would remain angry with him—and Eun-Jeong softened. He tossed her a cautious smile, and she smiled back. "Thanks, Oppa. That'd be nice…"


Eun-Jeong returned with Seok-Young, who followed a few steps behind her.

"Oppa!" the girls exclaimed, as he entered the room.

"You got him, Eun-Jeong-ah, good job!" Ju-Mi said.

Hye-Mi and Mee-Yon went to Seok-Young and each took one of his arms. "Oppa, thank goodness you're here! This movie is way too scary…," Hye-Mi explained.

"Well, you really are too young to be watching it, Hye-Mi," Yeong-Hui replied. And so was Ju-Mi.

Hye-Mi waved her off with a hand. "It's fine. I can watch it. Besides, we have our protector here now!"

And the girls and Seok-Young went to the newly renovated Yoon cinema room, which housed a large flat screen upon the wall, recess lighting, and several large plush sectionals. Musical awards earned by Ji Hoo's orchestra lined the walls.

The girls all began to find their seats of choice, and Eun-Jeong wondered how she could find some casual way to sit beside Seok-Young. When Mee-Yon and Hye-Mi pulled him over to one of the couches, she feared she had lost her chance, and she frowned. But then Hye-Mi turned to Mee-Yon and asked if she could sit in her appa's chair because it was so comfortable and Mee-Yon agreed.

Mee-Yon sat Seok-Young down upon the couch and took a seat beside him. She moved over and patted the cushion next to her and called for Eun-Jeong. "Come sit by Oppa and me," Mee-Yon called her over. Eun-Jeong smiled to herself. She sauntered over and settled down onto the couch cusion, between Mee-Yon and Seok-Young.

Mee-Yon got up to turn out the lights, and Eun-Jeong and Seok-Young looked at each other. Hye-Mi protested that it would be too scary to watch in the dark, but Mee-Yon insisted that it was the only way to watch a movie. So, Hye-Mi moved the chair closer to Seok-Young and curled up in it.

Mee-Yon dimmed the lights and then turned them out completely, leaving them in pitch blackness. As the thundering of the opening sequence boomed, Seok-Young leaned toward Eun-Jeong, his arm brushing hers, and he whispered into her ear, "Are you afraid?"

The feel of his warm breath upon her neck and their current closeness sent tingles throughout Eun-Jeong's body, but she played it cool, "No way. Are you, Oppa?" she whispered back.

"Of course not," he replied.

Ominous music escaped the speakers and filled the room, just prior to the opening credits lighting up the screen.


While they watched, Eun-Jeong was wedged in between Mee-Yon and Seok-Young, but she didn't mind one bit. It was bliss to be so near him, and it was the closest they had ever been to a date, after all... Eun-Jeong and Seok-Young were sitting so close, in fact, that their arms or legs or both kept inevitably bumping during the movie. And each time it happened, it was utterly electrifying.

At one particularly suspenseful part of the movie—about midway through and during a moment of pure blackness—Seok-Young grew bold and rested his hand upon Eun-Jeong's. Eun-Jeong felt her heart skip a beat, and it thumped louder and faster as he lightly fondled her fingers with his own in the darkness… When the screen grew bright again, he moved his hand away from hers, and she could barely contain her disappointment.

But whenever the screen darkened, he would place his hand on hers again—sometimes her palm and fingers, sometimes interlacing them completely and giving her hand a squeeze. One time, he held her hand for a full thirty seconds, she counted. And each time such a touch occurred, Eun-Jeong felt as though she was coming apart at the seams…

It felt as though they were getting away with something under the the cover of darkness, and it was rather frightening, yet exhilarating… And she dreamed of what it would be like when she could freely hold his hand and cuddle against him in the dark without any fear of being seen.

When the pinnacle of the movie arose Seok-Young was holding Eun-Jeong's hand, until Hye-Mi suddenly shrieked loudly. Hye-Mi leaned over to clutch onto Seok-Young's forearm on the other side of him. She hugged his arm tight, burying her face into it and crying out that she couldn't look. The brunt of the force had pulled Seok-Young away from Eun-Jeong, and he had dropped her hand. Eun-Jeong inadvertently scowled.

Hye-Mi tentatively peeked at the screen again through her fingers, while still clutching onto Seok-Young's arm.

After a moment, Seok-Young slipped his hand into Eun-Jeong's again. But when the villain made a sudden appearance, Hye-Mi screamed again, causing Seok-Young to once again release Eun-Jeong's hand. She let out a soft, yet frustrated sigh.

"Shh," Mee-Yon warned, "Again, my great-grandfather is sleeping. He's not in the best health and needs his rest. Besides, if you wake him up, he'll get up and give you a good whipping, or at least a good, long lecture about waking an old man…," Mee-Yon chuckled.

"Mianhae, Unnie…," Hye-Mi muttered, and she settled back into her chair, finally letting go of her hold on Seok-Young.

The movie ended all too quickly for Eun-Jeong. She had enjoyed it immensely—well, not the movie so much as Seok-Young's gentle touches… Eun-Jeong realized that she actually hadn't taken in much of the movie because she had been much more focused upon when and how Seok-Young was going to venture touching her…

After that, it was late, so they all went to bed.


The Next Morning…

Seok-Young stumbled out of his room groggily. He hadn't been able to sleep well the night before, mostly due to thinking of a certain someone…

He went to the bathroom and then made his way toward the kitchen. As he did so, he caught the scent of something delicious… If his nose was not mistaken, Appa must be making his famous western style breakfast, Seok-Young thought.

And his nose did not deceive. He walked in to hear the stove sizzling and see his father busily cooking up a storm, while joyously humming a classical tune they both knew well.

"Oh, good morning, Son!" Ji Hoo called out to him.

It had been awhile since Seok-Young had seen his appa this happy…

"Hungry?" Ji Hoo asked.

"Mm," Seok-Young nodded. "It smells good, Appa."

Ji Hoo smiled and began fixing a plate for him.

"Wow, that's a lot of food, Appa…"

"Well, I am cooking for nine today," he explained.

That's right, the girls are here… But—truth be told—Seok-Young was only thinking of one girl right now…

Ji Hoo set a plate full of various breakfast items—pancakes, eggs, bacon, toast, arranged into a face—before Seok-Young for sampling. And then he poured a glass of juice for him.

"Kamsahamnida, Appa. But…you really don't have to make my food into a face anymore…," Seok-Young said. I'm not six…

Ji Hoo chuckled. "Sorry, Son. Old habits, you know…"

Seok-Young nodded and dug into his food. He took a bite and chewed slowly, thoroughly. "Did you have a good date with Eomma, Appa?" he asked, after finishing the bite.

Ji Hoo smiled. "Yes, it was great. Thank you for asking, Son."

Seok-Young nodded.

"And I see you survived the sleepover, eh?" Ji Hoo said, with a wry grin.

Seok-Young gave a small smile. "Yes, I survived, Appa..." Seok-Young took a sip of his juice. "Appa, did you and eomma get called in to work last night?"

"No, actually we didn't…"

Seok-Young noticed that his father could not seem to stop smiling. He raised a brow and went back to his food. "Well, that's good."

Just then, Jan Di meandered into the kitchen and released a yawn; she was not quite as awake as Ji Hoo but clearly in a pleasant mood, too.

"Good morning," she greeted her husband and son, with a lazy smile upon her face. Seok-Young and Ji Hoo greeted Jan Di in unison.

"You…didn't wake me up…," Jan Di approached Ji Hoo, wagging a finger at him.

"Oh, well, there was no reason for you to get up. And I thought you might want to sleep in a bit. You deserve it, my love."

Jan Di smiled and went over to him, "Well, that was very thoughtful," and she wrapped her arms around his waist from behind. He turned within her hold and leaned down to give her a quick kiss before returning to the stove.

"Oh, try this, my love!" Ji Hoo suggested, and then he proceeded to pop a piece of egg into .

"Mm," she murmured. "That's really good!"

And it seemed like there was love in the air or something—perhaps because Valentine's Day was approaching—for, Jan Di and Ji Hoo were just staring into each other's eyes lovingly.

Seok-Young cast his gaze down to his plate, feeling as though he was intruding upon some private moment between them. And Ji Hoo proceeded to wrap his arms around Jan Di's waist, as she brought hers up to rest upon his neck. He leaned her back to kiss her, practically bending her over the kitchen island. Seok-Young's eyes grew slightly wide, and he wondered if they had forgotten he was there entirely.

Seok-Young lowered his head and stared down at his plate. He was mature enough now to no longer get embarrassed by his parents' displays of affection—for the most part... He supposed that they were typically pretty reserved when he or others were around, but they also weren't afraid to demonstrate their love for one another. But it was not usually like today, and he wasn't quite sure what had come over them…

Seok-Young gently cleared his throat after a moment, and his parents disentangled, his eomma apologizing to him.

"It's OK, Eomma. But um, Eomma, Appa, I didn't even hear you two come in last night," he commented.

"Oh, well…it was kind of late when we returned…," Jan Di admitted, glancing away.

"To be precise, it was early," Ji Hoo interjected with a sly grin. "Early morning, that is," Ji Hoo spoke as if he was quite proud of that.

Seok-Young raised a brow and took a drink of his juice. Too much information, Appa…

"Oh, Ji Hoo!" Jan Di quickly covered up her husband's mouth with her hand. And she turned toward Seok-Young, while still covering Ji Hoo's mouth; she chuckled nervously and then dropped her hand from Ji Hoo's mouth.

"Your father is just kidding…," Jan Di said, waving her hands vibrantly at Seok-Young.

Behind her Ji Hoo shook his head at Seok-Young to indicate that he was not kidding at all.

"…We weren't really out all night…," Jan Di protested. And she gave Seok-Young an awkward smile and glanced to the side.

Behind her Ji Hoo grinned and nodded his head. Jan Di caught a glimpse of this motion out of the corner of her eye, "Ya! You wanna die?" she shouted out and began to playfully attack Ji Hoo. He chuckled and took off running away from her, and she gave chase. They took a lap around the room before Ji Hoo returned to cooking. And they apologized to Seok-Young again for their behavior.

Jan Di busied herself around the kitchen, assisting Ji Hoo with preparing breakfast plates for each of their guests. When she approached Ji Hoo again at the stove, he whispered something to her that Seok-Young was unable to hear.

Jan Di gaped at Ji Hoo and exclaimed, "You're terrible!" in a hushed whisper before taking the spatula out of his hands and whacking him lightly on the arm with it.

"Ya, I was cooking with that," Ji Hoo protested.

"Oh yeah? Well, let's see you try and cook now…," Jan Di held the spatula out away from him, "without this…," she dangled it in front of him. Ji Hoo reached for it, but Jan Di stepped back just in time. She stuck her tongue out at him and took off running again, while holding the spatula hostage.

And Ji Hoo pursued Jan Di. "You'll be sorry, Otter! I know that you can't skip meals…"

"Ya!" she cried out, but she couldn't help but chuckle, for she knew it was all too true.


Seok-Young watched his parents run around the kitchen, behaving like a couple of goofy lovestruck kids. And he couldn't resist making a joke. "Is this really how successful doctors behave? Staying out all night and now this? OK you two, you're grounded," he teased.

Jan Di and Ji Hoo stopped where they were and stared at Seok-Young for a moment, only slightly shocked by his comment. They knew their son all too well, and though his dry humor and occasional sarcasm could be construed as rude, they knew him to be a good, respectful boy—and they instead found it to be just a lovable personality quirk of his.

Jan Di and Ji Hoo just laughed at Seok-Young's comment and continued on with their antics.

Seok-Young shook his head at his crazy parents, but still he had to admit that it was kind of sweet, that they were still so happy and in love after all these years.

Well, Eomma and Appa, I'm glad you two still have a good time together…

And it wasn't as though he could really judge them… After all, he was also currently lovestruck. But his feelings were still so new, whereas his parents had been in love with each other for years… Seok-Young hoped that he would be so lucky…


Jan Di and Ji Hoo finally ceased their horseplay and returned to the breakfast task, just as Mee-Yon and Eun-Jeong entered the kitchen. Jan Di and Ji Hoo greeted the girls, and they returned the greeting.

Seok-Young sat up straight and smiled at the sight of Eun-Jeong. "Good morning, Eun-Jeong-ah…did you sleep well?"

She shyly glanced over. "Oh, good morning, Oppa…yes, very well. And you?"

"Mm," he nodded.

"Good morning, Mee-Yon-ah," Seok-Young also greeted his sister.

"Good morning, Oppa…," Mee-Yon mumbled drowsily, as she stumbled over to take a seat at the island. Mee-Yon was still half-asleep, but she perked up at her father's cooking. "Oh, I thought I smelled something delicious cooking, Appa!" she exclaimed.

Eun-Jeong took a seat beside Mee-Yon, across from Seok-Young, and they proceeded to toss quick glances to one another.

Mee-Yon explained that the other girls were still sleeping, but it didn't take long for them to saunter in, as well as Grandfather. And Ji Hoo and Jan Di ushered the group into the dining room for the full meal.


The Next Day, After School…

Seok-Young and Eun-Jeong met briefly at the stairwell, prior to heading home. He pulled her against him, wrapping one arm around her shoulders and the other around her waist, as they looked out over the balcony, across the expansive Shinwha campus.

Eun-Jeong in a breath of pleasant surprise. She felt her heart begin to speed up, galloping faster and faster, as it always did when he held her like this. She closed her eyes and simply enjoyed the feel of him…

"You know…," Seok-Young whispered against her ear, "I never told you before, but this stairwell is a very special place…"

Eun-Jeong turned in his arms to look at him curiously.

"This is where my parents used to meet…," he explained.

"Really?" she turned around to face him.

"Mm, my appa told me about it. They would come here as an escape—to relax, talk, study, or just hang out together. It was kind of like their special spot…," Seok-Young looked down into Eun-Jeong's large chocolate eyes.

Eun-Jeong smiled. "That's really sweet." And then she paused before tentatively asking, "Is it…our special spot now…?"

Eun-Jeong immediately looked away, fearing she had been entirely too bold, but he simply turned her face back to him and smiled. He gently d her cheek with the back of his hand. "If you want it to be…," he breathed.

Eun-Jeong smiled brightly and nodded her fervor. "Mm, yes, I think I like that idea…"

He smiled and pulled her back against his chest. He held her for a moment, until Eun-Jeong suddenly pulled away from him. She turned to him, and as she gazed upon Seok-Young's face, she was suddenly awash with so much emotion for him. Not only was he beautiful and amazing, but he had always been there for her when she needed him. She didn't know how he did it exactly, but he always seemed to show up when she needed him the most, and he always knew exactly what to say and do to make her feel better. And he had never once failed her…

"What is it?" he asked, concerned.

She smiled affectionately and shook her head, "Nothing, Oppa." And then she released a tender sigh. "It's just that…I've been meaning to thank you…"

"For what, Eun-Jeong-ah?"

"For being there for me when my eomma was in the hospital. I don't know how I would have made it through that without you… I almost fell apart…"

He gazed upon her with a sad tenderness and lightly d her arm.

"…I don't think I properly thanked you for that, Oppa. And well, I really owe you thanks for so many other things, too. You've always done so much for me, my whole life…"

"Like I said before, anything for you…," was his reply.

"Oppa…," she uttered tenderly, as she reached up to touch his face. She gazed upon him with a look of pure sugary sweetness, as she delicately traced the lines of his cheekbones and strong jaw. His skin and features were surprisingly soft, yet at the same time masculine.

Seok-Young lightly scoffed. "What are you doing to me, Eun-Jeong-ah…," he uttered, as he caught her hand between both of his. He held it there for a moment before bringing it down. With one hand, he interlaced their fingers, and he brought the other hand up to cup her face.

And he rested his forehead against hers, shutting his eyes for just a moment—and she did so, too. "You're making me want to kiss you again… Of course, merely looking at you makes me want to kiss you… How is it that you always do that?"

Eun-Jeong blushed.

"But you know that I can't…not until I talk to your appa… But I am going to take responsibility; I promise you. I'm telling your appa tonight, in fact."

"Really? Tonight?"

"Yes."

Eun-Jeong smiled and uttered, "Oppa…" She gazed upon him tenderly and then released a sigh. "I can't wait that long…," she said.

"What?"

"I can't wait any longer…"

Seok-Young was dumbfounded.

Eun-Jeong could not help but grin at his facial expression. But then she grew completely serious again. "I know you have this rule about not kissing me again until you gain permission from my appa. And I know you are trying to be honorable, but do you have any rule against me kissing you…?"

Seok-Young blinked a few times. "Eun-Jeong-ah…?"

"If I kissed you, then it would not be your fault, right?" she moved closer to him.

Seok-Young stared down at her—stunned—but before he could respond, she placed her hands upon his neck and brought him down, pressing her lips to his.

He was certainly surprised, but he quickly succumbed, sinking into the warm softness of her lips. He wrapped his arms around her small waist and pulled her closer.


It was then that they heard a creak, indicating that the door to the stairwell had been opened. Seok-Young and Eun-Jeong broke apart, just in time to see Mee-Yon standing there staring at them—wide-eyed and still as a sculpture.

Eun-Jeong's lips parted. "Mee…Mee-Yon-ah…," she uttered.

Mee-Yon's brow furrowed in confusion—and there was a certain look in her eyes, one of betrayal perhaps?—before she silently turned and rushed back through the door from whence she'd come.

"Mee-Yon-ah!" Eun-Jeong called after her.

"Mee-Yon-ah!" Seok-Young also shouted out, and he prepared to take off after her, but Eun-Jeong caught him by the arm. Seok-Young's brow wrinkled, as he looked down upon Eun-Jeong.

"Wait. I'll go, Oppa," she explained, "I should talk to her…"

Seok-Young sighed and gave a nod. And Eun-Jeong took off running after Mee-Yon.


That evening, 6 PM…

Goo Jun-Seo and Goo Ju-Mi stood at the airport baggage claim with Secretary Jung; he held up a sign. They had been sent to greet their foreign guests, since their parents were unable to.

Jun-Seo sighed. "What's taking them so long, Secretary Jung?" he asked impatiently, shifting his feet back and forth. "I'm hungry…"

"Be patient, Young Master. Their flight was delayed a bit."

Jun-Seo exhaled and kept an eye out. Ju-Mi craned her neck, glancing around the crowded airport. Suddenly, she pointed. "I think that's them over there!"

Jun-Seo, Ju-Mi, and Secretary Jung all watched as a teenage boy and girl approached. They were a beautiful pair—with flawless skin, perfectly styled hair, and dark sunglasses. And they looked as though they'd jumped straight off the pages of a magazine.

The boy had a strong, lean build, and the girl was tall, thin, and perfectly curved. The girl's long, sleek, umber waves cascaded over her shoulders and down her back.

The sound of screaming fans only confirmed their identity, and they were stopped by a crowd, begging for autographs.

"Yes, that's definitely them. Oh, he's so gorgeous…," Ju-Mi uttered upon getting a closer look, "Even more gorgeous in person…"

She'd meant to say it under-her-breath—or better yet, to only think it—but it had just slipped out. Secretary Jung smirked.

Ju-Mi placed a hand over . "Oh! Secretary Jung, please don't tell my appa that I said that! He won't let him stay over then…," Ju-Mi muttered the last part under-her-breath.

"I won't Miss," Secretary Jung replied, and she hugged his arm and bowed profusely, "Kamsahamnida, kamsahamnida!"

"Well, don't get any ideas; he's four years older than you," Jun-Seo smirked.

Ju-Mi scoffed at him.

Jun-Seo folded his arms and tilted his head to get a better view. "I don't see what's so great about him, anyway…" And then Jun-Seo got a good look at the girl, and he grew silent and simply stared in awe.

Secretary Jung went over to them, followed by the Goo kids, and parted the crowd politely. And Secretary Jung introduced Jun-Seo, Ju-Mi and then himself to the duo. Jun-Seo stuck his hand out to the male, expecting him to greet him as an American would, but the guy instead bowed before him.

Hm, guess he remembers some customs from his time in Korea…

"Annyeonghaseyo! Je…ireumeun Aidan-imnida…," he spoke vibrantly in slightly broken Korean.

"Your name is just Aidan?" Jun-Seo questioned, "Don't you have a family name?"

Ju-Mi poked her older brother in the ribs for his rudeness to a stranger and an elder. But Aidan was not put off and simply flashed a pearly, yet sheepish grin.

"Oh, of course, mianhada!" he chuckled. "I'm Cho Dae-Seong, but I go by Aidan Cho, and this is my sister Cho Nari, but she goes by Aria Cho. Onstage we are just Aidan and Aria," he said.

Jun-Seo smirked. This guy was something else, thinking he was so popular that he could just go by a single name and everyone would just automatically know who he was…

"I'm sorry that my Korean is not so good. I was very young when I left Korea for the US," Aidan apologized. Aria smiled and patted her brother on the back.

Secretary Jung bowed and politely informed Aidan in English that it was perfectly fine. And then Aidan greeted Ju-Mi, who remained calm but blushed like mad, which was quite the uncommon occurrence for her.

And then Aria bowed and introduced herself to the two Goo kids and Secretary Jung in flawless Korean. Jun-Seo felt his cheeks grow warm when she flashed him a radiant smile.

They all waited for the pop stars' luggage to arrive at the baggage carousel, and then Secretary Jung took their bags and escorted them out.

Jun Seo and Ju-Mi walked alongside the pretty pop duo, with Secretary Jung following just behind.

This is going to be an interesting couple of months..., Jun Seo thought to himself.

To Be Continued…


Teaser for Next Chapter: Star-Crossed Lovers Part II: Both Eun-Jeong and Seok-Young talk with Mee-Yon, who is hurt over their secret relationship. Seok-Young finally confesses his feelings for Eun-Jeong to Yi Jeong, with explosive results. The rest of the next generation of F4 meet the pop stars, Aria and Aidan. Aidan performs a smoldering love song for Eun-Jeong onstage, in front of Seok-Young and all of Shinwha.